PDA

View Full Version : Should RIR stay?

wedge
29th June 2009, 13:15
Should IRL continue to go to RIR? I don't remember seeing a good race there always a parade.

SarahFan
29th June 2009, 13:16
lets replace it with a euroswing.....Lausitz and rockingham!!!

isnt about time to add a few ovals?

nigelred5
29th June 2009, 13:32
Replace the date in the schedule with Watkins Glen, it's too frickin hot and humid in Richmond already by the end of June. Add Cleveland in the July 4th weekend slot, then add New Hampshire and Road America in august( even though it sounds like it's going to be Barber added to the schedule, not RA.

A lot of people have long term 4th of July traditions with parades, fireworks, stc. and draggin all the camping gear to the fingerlakes to watch a race at the Glen isn't it. Cleveland had a long history of racing that weekend and locals can accomodate a 1 day race.

When will they learn that the cars need mega downforce to put on a good race on the bullrings. They have definitely screwed up the oval racing package this year, no matte what track they have been on.

FIAT1
29th June 2009, 17:35
Best track in the USA, Road America. Please come home!

Jonesi
29th June 2009, 17:58
No, they should not race at tracks smaller than one mile. All they end up doing is wrecking cars. (This also applies to Iowa Speedway)

jimispeed
29th June 2009, 18:54
Road America

Burke Lakefront (Cleveland)

Portland

Bring back Vancouver

Get a better chassis and engine package!!

Don't pack so many ovals together on the schedule, spread em' out!!!

El Libertador
29th June 2009, 19:03
The cars are more to blame than the track, in my personal opinion. I'm not a huge fan of Richmond, but I like it a lot more than the 1.5-mile speedways where it's just foot-to-the-floor in-your-face NASCAR-style madness. Probably appeals more to the masses, but certainly not to me. I'd prefer Milwaukee, New Hampshire, Nazareth, Gateway, etc for non-Indy ovals, and maybe Michigan and Texas just for variety. I couldn't really care either way if Richmond is on or off the schedule.

DanicaFan
29th June 2009, 19:52
I love Richmond. It's a great track. Definitely should keep it.

NickFalzone
29th June 2009, 20:08
I can't recall any Richmond race as bad as this weekend's, but it never really had "great" IRL racing. I think we're unfortunately in a situation where some or even many tracks are chosen purely for $$ reasons, and the quality of the racing is just not a huge priority for WHY a track is chosen. I've seen many dull CART, Champ Car, and IRL races. It happens. But what we had at RIR this weekend was unacceptable. Some have compared it to last year's Brickyard, and in it's own way it was just as bad as that race. Barber concerns me, this Brazil race concerns me. If the IRL cannot CHOOSE which tracks they race at, then come up with some goofy tricks to make it a RACE at the crappier tracks. Richmond truly was not a race in any real sense of the word. Whether it's the wickers, hanford device, rpm limiters, reduced downforce, or whatever. The naysayers keep bringing up that they can't do these things for "safety" reasons.. Well, if you cannot put on a safe race that also has passing with the current car, then it's time to close up shop IMO.

indyracefan
29th June 2009, 20:14
Should RIR stay?

Absolutely.

maxmach
29th June 2009, 20:14
It's not them, it's us.

dataman1
29th June 2009, 20:47
Tracks that require letting off the throttle are better than the pedal to the metal tracks IMO. That said, until the car is fixed so that passing can take place Richmond should be in doubt. Bring back the Handford Device!

Jag_Warrior
29th June 2009, 22:53
Bring back the Handford Device!

The current car pretty much is a Handford Device, isn't it? :D

SoCalPVguy
30th June 2009, 00:37
NO !!!!!!!!!!
There is no way these big powerful machines should be poncing around on such a short (3/4-Mile) bull ring oval comensurate with super-modified racing scale.

IRL must commit to a 1-mile MINIUM oval track distance, thus eliminating RIR and that other 7/8-mile track too.

nigelred5
30th June 2009, 04:16
What's sad, is RIR is proababy my favorite NASCAR track, maybe even more than my home track Dover.

champcarray
30th June 2009, 17:14
IMHO, RIR is too small for IndyCar.

call_me_andrew
1st July 2009, 03:53
I think we need more small tracks. Let's go to Memphis and Martinsville!

Edit: And Bristol. Gotta love Bristol.

chuck34
2nd July 2009, 03:30
I seem to recall a few good races at RIR, wasn't last year pretty good? I think everyone reconizes that there is something "strange" going on this year that is killing the racing. It's been mentioned by more than one driver at more than one track. Let's not kill the track yet. I think this bull-ring could (and has been) good for racing.

Dr. Krogshöj
2nd July 2009, 09:58
I believe the IRL rejected the idea of racing at Las Vegas Motor Speedway because empty seats would hurt the image of IndyCar. On that basis, I don't see why Richmond is still on the schedule. The size of the crowd looked miniscule, about 1/4 or 1/3 capacity.

All in all, Saturday night hurt the image of IndyCar big time. People who incidentally tuned in the telecast could saw a boring procession no one seemed to be interested in. I wonder what the ratings were.

SarahFan
2nd July 2009, 19:13
I believe the IRL rejected the idea of racing at Las Vegas Motor Speedway because empty seats would hurt the image of IndyCar. On that basis, I don't see why Richmond is still on the schedule. The size of the crowd looked miniscule, about 1/4 or 1/3 capacity.

All in all, Saturday night hurt the image of IndyCar big time. People who incidentally tuned in the telecast could saw a boring procession no one seemed to be interested in. I wonder what the ratings were.

that is only partially correct.... the IRL(tg) wanted a race in the parking lot becuase attendance and appearance was an issue.... LVMS turned that down

call_me_andrew
3rd July 2009, 03:29
I thought the crowd was pretty good by IndyCar standards. 1/4-1/3 capacity at Richmond is about 30-40 thousand which is pretty even with most tracks.

I mentioned Memphis because it's the same length as Richmond, but with longer straights, tighter corners, and less banking. It only seats 30,000 so it's a potential sellout.

Way better than Nashville.