PDA

View Full Version : Just when things started to look up . . .

Wilf
27th June 2009, 16:11
There is a rumor going around that the Milwaukee Mile has shuttered its doors for the next three weeks in an effort to slow down it's cash burn. The more disturbing rumor is that NASCAR has not received all that was contracted for the Nationwide and Camping World races.

If this is true it is extremely disappointing. The crowd for the IndyCar event was very good and the NASCAR weekend was good as well.

It seems they are having a Tony Kanaan season.

drewdawg727
27th June 2009, 18:43
Trying to see what the bad in this for Indycars is...we've come and gone for 2009.

Lousada
27th June 2009, 18:45
Trying to see what the bad in this for Indycars is...we've come and gone for 2009.

The bad news is that the Mile will perhaps shut down and be redeveloped.

Wilf
27th June 2009, 21:19

Do you know something about the end of the world; I was hoping for a 2010.

The instant classic
27th June 2009, 21:42
Do you know something about the end of the world; I was hoping for a 2010.
i pick 2010 as well

drewdawg727
27th June 2009, 22:51
Closing the track down for a few weeks does not seem like a big deal for me...we ARE in a recession after all..

NickFalzone
28th June 2009, 00:01
The schedule for next season is 18 races, 9 ovals and 9 road/streets. The rumor is that Milwaukee is the oval getting dropped, and Barber and Brazil are the 2 courses being added.

indycool
28th June 2009, 22:01
We've been hearing Loudon may return to the schedule.

indyracefan
29th June 2009, 05:53
The IndyCar Series sure hasn't had much good news this season as everything appears in a 'downward' trend;

* Car counts down from last year (for that matter, down from the beginning of the season).

* The television ratings for every race so far is down.

* Indy 500 television ratings down.

* The number of oval races has been decreasing on a yearly basis since 2003 with next season's schedule apparently continuing this trend.

* The number of on-track lead changes is down.

* Side-by-side racing is down (almost non-existent).

* Number of different winners and teams is down.

* Number of full-time American drivers has been decreasing every year.

* Only one engine and chassis that's not likely to change before 2011 at the earliest.

I want to be positive but there hasn't been much to be positive about.

NickFalzone
29th June 2009, 06:07
A couple positives I see:

- Single series now with a lot of great drivers, and a very strong field from top to bottom. Only a single team has been a true backmarker this season, the rest have shown real promise on one track or another.

- Versus coverage has been significantly better than ABC/ESPN's

Main negatives:

- on track product, both ovals and streets, has so far been weak. This season includes a couple of the worst oval races in the history of the league.

- Versus coverage getting lower ratings than ESPN or ESPN 2 of same races.

- still no title sponsor

fugariracing
29th June 2009, 06:50
The current product is as much the rub as anything else but all things being equal it has not been a good season in any respect.

As far as Milwaukee goes, there's a disagreement between the former promoters, Milwaukee Mile Holdings LLC and the new ones, Wisconsin Motorsports Inc. over paying out its fees to series and the amount of ticket revenues taken in. The Mile figures to lose money this year despite the number of attendees to the IndyCar and NASCAR weekends. IndyCar has not confirmed whether it was paid its entire payout but NASCAR's has not.

It's an odd situation because the crowd for IndyCar was for sure up (around if not over 40,000 on race day) at this year's event and when the new promoters signed a contract, IRL was confirmed through 2010.

Quite frankly, living in Milwaukee now and with a keen eye on the IndyCar Series coverage, I will be beyond po'd if this race is dropped from the schedule. This is as much a part of open-wheel history in this country as Indianapolis is, but then again the "braintrusts" in charge of IRL don't seem to give a damn about that other than Indy so it wouldn't shock me.

By this year's standards, it was a decent race and had a good crowd. So naturally, it would be first on the chopping block for 2010 because these issues about fees have popped up as well.

SarahFan
29th June 2009, 13:19
- Versus coverage has been significantly better than ABC/ESPN's

r

besides the obvios increased pre and post race what exactly has been better?

indycool
29th June 2009, 13:48
Frankly, IMO, Bob Jenkins gives a better delivery than his predecessors, Robbie Buhl offers better analysis and when Jon Beekhuis learns ovals better (he called Silveer Crown cars "sprint cars" during the Richmond telecast). he should be better. The talent's better.

SarahFan
29th June 2009, 13:53
Frankly, IMO, Bob Jenkins gives a better delivery than his predecessors, Robbie Buhl offers better analysis and when Jon Beekhuis learns ovals better (he called Silveer Crown cars "sprint cars" during the Richmond telecast). he should be better. The talent's better.

so what your saying is that if your Joe Tv watcher and your flipping channels you would be more likely to put down the channel changer becuase Robbie Buhl is announceing Vs. Scott Goodyear?

indycool
29th June 2009, 14:10
That's not what you asked.

SarahFan
29th June 2009, 14:12

it's certainly a logical extension of the question...

indycool
29th June 2009, 14:55
I disagree...it's just an illogical question to trap up a discussion.

anthonyvop
29th June 2009, 15:14
The IndyCar Series sure hasn't had much good news this season as everything appears in a 'downward' trend;

* The number of oval races has been decreasing on a yearly basis since 2003 with next season's schedule apparently continuing this trend.

* Side-by-side racing is down (almost non-existent).

I want to be positive but there hasn't been much to be positive about.
I would call those two as positives.

garyshell
29th June 2009, 15:15
besides the obvios increased pre and post race what exactly has been better?

so what your saying is that if your Joe Tv watcher and your flipping channels you would be more likely to put down the channel changer becuase Robbie Buhl is announceing Vs. Scott Goodyear?

it's certainly a logical extension of the question...

In your convoluted sense of logic maybe. But certainly not how I would see it. Suddenly you are attempting to ask an entirely different question. If you were in a debate class, the red flag would be going up.

Gary

garyshell
29th June 2009, 15:16
I would call those two as positives.

Of course you would.

Gary

SarahFan
29th June 2009, 17:50
In your convoluted sense of logic maybe. But certainly not how I would see it. Suddenly you are attempting to ask an entirely different question. If you were in a debate class, the red flag would be going up.

Gary

that's funny Gary.... Thanks for the chuckle

Mark in Oshawa
3rd July 2009, 20:15
No rumour at all at Milwaukee Mile being in trouble. NASCAR didn't get paid and the IRL didn't get paid. Not sure what is going on there, but with full stands at the track and them being paying customers, there has to be some cash flow.

It would be a shame to lose this race plant, especially now that it has nice new stands, but misamangement seems to be be the order of the day in Milwaukee...