PDA

View Full Version : GM to buy Chrysler?

slorydn1
17th February 2007, 16:40
General Motors Corp. is in talks to buy the Chrysler Group in its entirety, Automotive News reported Friday, citing unnamed sources in Germany and the United States. The automotive trade publication reported on its Web site that high-level talks were talking place between GM and Chrysler Group parent DaimlerChrysler AG. The potential deal between the two automakers could go beyond cooperation on joint development of a large sport utility vehicle, the magazine said. A General Motors Corp. spokesman said the company routinely has discussions with other automakers but declined to comment on the Automotive News report. "We often have discussions with automakers routinely. We don't comment on speculation regarding discussions," GM spokesman Tony Cervone said. Meanwhile, various newspapers reported earlier Friday that Chrysler and GM have held discussions for about six months about a possible alliance related to large sport utility vehicles.(MSNBC)(2-16-2007)

Hmmmmmmm........

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm

tstran17_88
17th February 2007, 16:50
I did hear that Chrysler is going to lay off 13,000 and that Daimler wants to dump them.

blakebeatty
17th February 2007, 19:27
I did hear that Chrysler is going to lay off 13,000 and that Daimler wants to dump them.

that already happened

tstran17_88
17th February 2007, 19:51
that already happened
No...it didn't.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17186447/

On Thursday, Chrysler Chief Executive Tom LaSorda told the Journal in an interview that he hopes uncertainty about whether Chrysler will remain part of the German automaker is resolved “sooner rather than later.”

As part of the restructuring, Chrysler plans to eliminate 13,000 positions, including 11,000 production jobs and 2,000 white-collar posts, as it seeks to cut costs and return to profitability in 2008.

BenRoethig
17th February 2007, 19:56

Of course, they got to raid Chrysler's coffers to save Mercedes. I had high hopes for this merger when it first happened, but it's pretty clear the German contingent had no intention of making better mopars.

Hoss Ghoul
17th February 2007, 20:00
Of course, they got to raid Chrysler's coffers to save Mercedes. I had high hopes for this merger when it first happened, but it's pretty clear the German contingent had no intention of making better mopars.

I don't disagree with your statement, but there's no question Chrysler's products have gotten better. The Charger/300 being a prime example(based off Mercedes chasis).

Jag_Warrior
17th February 2007, 20:20
Months ago, I heard rumors of a Chinese conglomerate, private equity and an IPO spinoff. Some guessed at Renault/Nissan. But no one I know even dreamed GM might want to gobble up Chrysler Group.

So, if this happens... my idea of having a love child with Salma Hayek might not be quite so insane, eh?

dont_be_jack
17th February 2007, 21:11
It seems to be a bad move for GM to acquire a company that is almost dead when they are on life support. Doesn't make any sense to me, but whatever. Chrysler products have gotten better since the merger, but not enough to the point where Chrysler could make money.

XR8
18th February 2007, 03:59
Before Daimler Benz RAPED Chrysler of its cash reserves it was the most profitable of the big three.I think if Daimler Benz would stop bleeding the company of its profits it would still be the healthiest of the big three.

ykiki
18th February 2007, 04:31
... my idea of having a love child with Salma Hayek might not be quite so insane, eh?

Take a number and get in line! :D