PDA

View Full Version : Breakaway series sporting regulations

Mark
23rd June 2009, 13:26
Now the technical regs are pretty fixed to the current F1 regs as it's too late to change them.

But they could have completely different sporting regulations.

e.g.
Tyre usage rules.
Qualfiying format.
Race length
Parc-Ferme rules
etc

What do you think they should do?

ioan
23rd June 2009, 13:35
Now the technical regs are pretty fixed to the current F1 regs as it's too late to change them.

e.g.
Tyre usage rules.
Qualfiying format.
Race length
Parc-Ferme rules
etc

Lose the 2 tire compounds rule.

2 x 1 hour qualifying session.
1st hour as many laps as they wish but at least 1 flying lap every 20 minutes.
2nd hour 1 flying lap in reverse order. (I think this is how it was in Superbikes chmapionship and I liked it when I followed it).

Race length should stay.

Parc Ferme rules are not bad per se.

Sonic
23rd June 2009, 14:07
Well as it is fair to say I am opposed to the idea of a FOTA championship I shall treat this as a hypothetical ideal F1 regs.

With the cars designed for no refueling next year I think current format qualifying will be very entertaining. The last 10 mins on fumes to get pole will be hyper exciting.

As for the race I would like to see two tyre compounds remain but make them completely different in construction. Compound A for example would provide excellent grip when new and be ideal for a 3 or 4 stop race. Whereas compound B would be much more durable - something like the 2005 reg tyre, allowing for 1 or even no stop races. Imagine Nico on a no stopper with tyres on there last legs being hunted by Kimi on a 3 stopper with fresh boots. AMAZIN!

ioan
23rd June 2009, 14:15
Well as it is fair to say I am opposed to the idea of a FOTA championship I shall treat this as a hypothetical ideal F1 regs.

With the cars designed for no refueling next year I think current format qualifying will be very entertaining. The last 10 mins on fumes to get pole will be hyper exciting.

As for the race I would like to see two tyre compounds remain but make them completely different in construction. Compound A for example would provide excellent grip when new and be ideal for a 3 or 4 stop race. Whereas compound B would be much more durable - something like the 2005 reg tyre, allowing for 1 or even no stop races. Imagine Nico on a no stopper with tyres on there last legs being hunted by Kimi on a 3 stopper with fresh boots. AMAZIN!

I don't think that the FOTA teams want no refueling rules next season, that was Max's idea while the FOTA teams want to keep the same rules as now.

Sonic
23rd June 2009, 14:26
Hi Ioan. Regarding FOTA I am basically sticking my fingers in my ears and pretending its not happening so my suggestions are based on FIA rules. Even if FOTA do breakaway next years cars are almost certainly well past packaging issues and fuel tank size is almost sure to be set alrteady.

ioan
23rd June 2009, 14:52
Hi Ioan. Regarding FOTA I am basically sticking my fingers in my ears and pretending its not happening so my suggestions are based on FIA rules.

Well, in that case you are posting in the wrong thread cause this one is about the FOTA championship sporting rules! ;)

Sonic
23rd June 2009, 15:51
Good point well made. I'll get my coat! :p ;)

V12
23rd June 2009, 16:03
I'd like to see the sporting regs return to how they were pre-2003, with the possible exception of the knockout qualifying. I've always considered it gimmicky but if done properly, i.e. without race fuel and without engine change penalties etc. then it could be a good thing. I've started to think of it as two mini pre-qualifying sessions followed by mini qualifying all run in quick succession and that makes it a bit more bearable to the purist in me.

It keeps the track busy for an hour (the one weakness of the old format), and a quirky qualifying format, where the fastest guy doesn't necessarily start from pole, never did the Indy 500 any harm.

But having said that, if qualifying was returned to a one hour free for all, I wouldn't exactly complain either, it would be better without the 12 lap limit though.

The big thing I'd want to see binned though is the two tyre compound race rule. The tyre manufacturer (or tyre manufacturers...I wish), should bring their range of tyres and leave it up to the teams what they use and when they use it - for example if a driver has to make a late unscheduled pitstop near the end of the race, he could whack on a set of super-super-softs to try and claw back a little bit of the time he lost. By the time the tyres were finished, so would the race.

It would also add a new dimension to the strategy side in general, with or without refuelling. With refuelling it would make a double speed benefit to doing more stops, lighter car and grippier tyres, while if refuelling was binned then one aspect of the trade-off would remain.

christophulus
23rd June 2009, 16:04
I'm in favour of the ban on refuelling, and dropping the stupid rule about tyre compounds - I'd like to see three or four compounds brought along and drivers can use any type, anytime (but a maximum of say, 7 new sets per weekend like at the moment?)

KERS brought back, doubled in power/capacity (at least), and allied to an increased weight limit it may actually become useful. If this green-tech is important maybe slowly release the extra boost over a whole lap?

Leave qualifying, I like it how it is. Especially with low fuel and super super soft tyres!

The engine/gearbox rules are fine for me, so parc ferme is OK. We haven't seen many engine failures so far so I see no reason why they can't make an engine last two or three races. Maybe a switch to smaller, turbocharged engines.

Race length is fine, provided we get some more on-track action I see no reason to change it! Ban double-diffusers and any area where the teams have found ways to interpret the rules differently - there are micro-wings and flaps popping up all over the place. Anything to reduce turbulence coming off cars is a good thing.

In conclusion, some minor tweaks to this year's rules. Maybe the FIA are on to something after all :eek:

ioan
23rd June 2009, 16:10
KERS brought back, doubled in power/capacity (at least), and allied to an increased weight limit it may actually become useful. If this green-tech is important maybe slowly release the extra boost over a whole lap?

IMO KERS will be relevant only if the only condition will be a limited fuel weight to be used during the race.

christophulus
23rd June 2009, 16:18
IMO KERS will be relevant only if the only condition will be a limited fuel weight to be used during the race.

Good point. In a free-spending world, letting the teams have any kind of engine but a limited amount of fuel would kick up some different designs.. in theory.

Oh, and before I forget, appropriate rules for dealing with problems. We haven't seen much from the stewards recently as the last few races haven't exactly been controversial - but the system still stinks.

For example, dropping a driver three places (or any appropriate number) in the finishing order rather than a one-size-fits-all 25 sec penalty for an infringement would be much fairer if the race has a late safety car period. Add in the ability to appeal such a penalty once applied (with the risk of a harsher penalty if it's a frivolous complaint!) and we might be on to something.

..or we could put it to a public vote? "Press Red now to choose your penalty!..." :p

emporer_k
23rd June 2009, 18:45
I'd get rid of quali 2 and go straight from Q! to the top 10.

Keep KERS but with unlimited time/power.

Ditch the 2 tyre compounds rule and allow drivers to choose whicher compound they wish at each point during the race/quali.

Robinho
23rd June 2009, 20:52
KERS could be fantastic - the technology has proved to work and be pretty reliable on the whole - however they should only be limited to power OR time, then the best KERs will be able to deliver 80 (preferable more like 120bhp) for longer than its rivals, or if limited to 10seconds, then if someone can do 150bhp and others only 90bhp then we'll see progress. as it stands there is no development requirement, other than weight. when evewryone has the same spec then there is no point in having it at all as everyone is at the same point again

wedge
23rd June 2009, 23:37
This'll be fun.

They couldn't agree on the definition of a diffuser a few months ago. If some within FOTA can't agree it most likely means they'll have to run back to the FIA to sort their mess out which goes against the spirit of the breakaway series in the first place!

CNR
24th June 2009, 00:02
qualifying sessions
Q1 20 cars 20 minutes
Q2 15 (3/4) cars 15 minutes
totaling 35 minutes
followed by a Top 10 (1/2) Shootout one car on track at a time

ClarkFan
24th June 2009, 00:12

e.g.
Tyre usage rules.
Qualfiying format.
Race length
Parc-Ferme rules
etc

Tire use - let each team pick the compound that works best for them, but if it's soft and they run out of tires, they have to strip the tires off the team principal's car to finish. Teams must run the race on the same compound used in qualifying - no 3-lap qualifying specials.

Race length - longer, please. The minimum race length used to be 2 hours - races at Spa were 450km. :eek: That is a bit severe, but taking races closer to 2 hours could lead to more interesting conclusions (see tire alternative above).

Make fueling devices gravity-fed only and limit teams to 5-6 crew members over the wall for a pit stop. All crew members and other paraphenalia (i.e. the old tires and the fuel hose have to be back over the wall before the car is released, or the penalty is another 10-second stop. Put more of the racing back on the track, and make teams carefully consider to cost of additional stops.

Parc Ferme - teams can add fuel to a car and put on fresh tires after qualifying but nothing else. Anything else gets a start from the pit lane.

Qualifying format - this one is actually pretty interesting and doesn't seem to yield severe injustices. Drivers who complain about getting blocked in the first two parts really needed to try harder earlier in the period - you go out in the last 5 minutes, you take what you get.

ClarkFan

ioan
24th June 2009, 00:26
Race length - longer, please. The minimum race length used to be 2 hours - races at Spa were 450km. :eek: That is a bit severe, but taking races closer to 2 hours could lead to more interesting conclusions (see tire alternative above).

No way. They would have to redesign the engine or produce more engines, which isn't what they are after.

Blancvino
24th June 2009, 02:15

e.g.
Tyre usage rules.
Qualfiying format.
Race length
Parc-Ferme rules
etc

Figure out how to get the factions back together, NOW! This is the end of F1 if this split goes through.

Saint Devote
24th June 2009, 03:39
I would say that should ANY car resemble FIA regs in any way shape of form, they will land in a Parisian court quicker than one can utter the acronym "FOTA".

And the FIA will have an injunction that will stop any car from turning a wheel!

Not to mention Bernie's law suits that will not only sue for hundreds of millions but while the court case continues, will stop FOTA from racing.

Briatore, Howett and Montezemolo are cruising for a bruising that will see Toyota withdraw completely, Renault collapse in a heap and withdraw, and Ferrari returning with dear misguided Luca in no condition to shout the odds.

Saint Devote
24th June 2009, 03:43
The FOTA is not intended to be a drivers series but a manufacturers one.

It will consume significant amounts of money, include a lot of confusion over WHO gets to decide the rules - Flavio and Luca want to RULE - and I thinl that many drivers will actually not want to get involved because they will be refused FIA licenses.

Someone such as Kimi, effectively at the end of his career may not care, but there are others that are assuming they are safer with the FOTA than the FIA - they are mistaken.

call_me_andrew
24th June 2009, 06:27
I thought we were trying to lower costs. Having more tire compounds raises costs. They way to cheapen up the series is to have Bridgestone bring a single, control tire.

wmcot
24th June 2009, 07:32
I thought we were trying to lower costs. Having more tire compounds raises costs. They way to cheapen up the series is to have Bridgestone bring a single, control tire.

Bridgestone could still bring 2 types as they do now, but each team could decide which one to run without the artificial mandate of running both types.

The current 2-tire type rule was one of Max's ideas copied from IRL. It's not used by any real racing series. Look at LMS and ALMS where a car will often have two (or more) types of tires on it at any given time.

I would give more freedom for strategy - fuel stops are optional, tire stops are optional, KERS is optional and unlimited (if a team wants more KERS power, they will deal with the added weight.) Switch to E85, pump quality fuel to make the series greener and limit power.

Oli_M
24th June 2009, 10:15
I personally would like to see the following for tires:
*Bridgestone brings 2 compounds to each race - but back to 2008 only a single step apart.
*Each team is allocated 5 sets of EACH COMPOUND, so 10 sets in total. After Friday, they give up 4 sets of any compound. After Saturday they give up another 2 sets. (I believe this system is similar to how it is now). This leaves them with 4 sets left for race day. At any time, they can chose which compound to use. So they may decide to save 3 sets of new 'hard' tires for the race, use 3 new sets of 'soft' for qualifying etc etc. I'm not completely sure on the numbers, but you get the basic idea.

This way tire strategy is still important throughout the weekend, but doesn't become the primary talking point of the race nor 'forcing' teams to find a compromise setup.

ioan
24th June 2009, 11:22
I would say that should ANY car resemble FIA regs in any way shape of form, they will land in a Parisian court quicker than one can utter the acronym "FOTA".

I wonder how is that CART, IRL, GP2, Formula Renault, Formula BMW never landed in a Parisian court.

BTW most of the cars have 4 wheels so we all should go in court?!

Give up Maxie, you lose this time! :D