PDA

View Full Version : anyone going to Petit Lemans

harvick#1
22nd June 2009, 17:27
for me, once Audi confirms the race, I'm definitely going to make the trip, but was wondering if anyway is gonna make the trip also to Atlanta

FormerFF
22nd June 2009, 17:44
It's my home track, so naturally I'll be there, though probably just for Friday and Saturday. I'd like to go Thursday, but would probably get some grief from the home front.

harvick#1
24th June 2009, 14:43
are you allowed to walk around the track (inside or outside) without getting in trouble, I plan on taking alot of pictures of the races that weekend and I dont know what the rules for a big road course is

racefan08
24th June 2009, 14:58
I wanted to take my dad to the Laguna Seca race, but he can't really walk around for long, do they allow you to use a gulf cart to get around or is just the staff members that can use them?

Tom206wrc
24th June 2009, 15:01
I wonder if many Europeans(spectators)go there :confused: :confused:

harvick#1
24th June 2009, 15:42
I wanted to take my dad to the Laguna Seca race, but he can't really walk around for long, do they allow you to use a gulf cart to get around or is just the staff members that can use them?

theres normally handicap services at any event, I'd call just to find out though

DBell
24th June 2009, 16:31
are you allowed to walk around the track (inside or outside) without getting in trouble, I plan on taking alot of pictures of the races that weekend and I dont know what the rules for a big road course is

Absolutely, you can walk all over the place at Road Atlanta. Parts of the outside of the track are open to spectators and about all of the inside is available for spectators. I've been the going since I moved over here a couple of years ago and it's a great event. Bring some good walking shoes, those hills are bigger than they look on TV.

harvick#1
24th June 2009, 17:40
sweet, I'll be doing some walking then :lol: one thing I definitely need to see is the run down the esses :D

FormerFF
25th June 2009, 02:31
On raceday, I leave my car in the outside parking. If I do the pit walk on Saturday morning, I usually watch the beginning of the race from the bleachers in the support paddock. Last year I went down to the outside of turn 1 for a while, then across the spectator bridge into the track, to the inside of turn 1 for a bit, then up to 3, then over to the approach to the esses for quite a while. After that I usually go to spectator hill overlooking turn 5 for some time, there's a matrix board there and it's a good place to sit down for a while. At some point I usually mosey on up to turns 6 and 7, or as I like to call it, the bone end of the pork chop. My favorite time of raceday is sunset, and my favorite place is overlooking turn 5 from the hill behind it, so that's where I am then. As it approaches dark, I make my way to the turn 10 area and stay there until the last 30 minute of the race, when I go the outside of turn 12, and watch the finish. As soon as the cooldown lap is complete, I walk out to my car, and am on the road 15 minutes after the checkered.

harvick#1
28th June 2009, 01:20
got a small question,

do you have to pay for parking, I know some places do, some don't just would like know know

FormerFF
28th June 2009, 02:56
got a small question,

do you have to pay for parking, I know some places do, some don't just would like know know

If you wish to park in the infield, yes. If you want to park in the auxiliary lot along Hwy 53 or across the street at the short track, no. The track runs shuttles from the parking areas into the track. I imagine there are shuttles at the end of the race as well, but it's probably quicker to walk.

I don't park in the infield on race day. If you got to the track after 9:30 AM or so I suspect you'd be hard pressed to find a spot anyway. Last year, I didn't get a parking pass at all, just parked in the auxiliary lot both days. Fridays are surprisingly crowded, so I just found it easier to walk both days.

harvick#1
28th June 2009, 04:33
do you remember what prices were? I'm planning on just parking outside of the track and walking. I'm planning on being at the track thursday, friday, and saturday. like to get the full exprience and to see the support races also that week.

FormerFF
28th June 2009, 16:31
Tickets are available here: http://www.roadatlanta.com/ev_petit_tix.lasso

Four day ticket is $75. There is a $8 mailing fee, or a $3 service charge if you leave your ticket in will call. For anyone who is just going race day, get the tickets mailed, there will be a long line at will call on race day. If you're going to be there on any of the other days, will call is fine and will save you $5.

Friday has a full schedule of racing, Both classes of World Challenge will be racing, as will the Atlantics and probably the Jetta TDI cup as well, in addition to ALMS qualifying. Also running at the PLM will be the GT3 cup, IMSA lites, and Star Mazda, though I have to think some of these races will get kicked to Thursday.

harvick#1
28th June 2009, 16:58
oh sorry I read you previous post wrong :laugh: I picked up the four day pass already, I cant wait to go, I'm just praying there will be no rain

dj4monie
9th July 2009, 08:20
oh sorry I read you previous post wrong :laugh: I picked up the four day pass already, I cant wait to go, I'm just praying there will be no rain

I can't remember the last time it actually RAINED for PLM, maybe ONCE, but its fairly rare its late in the Summer/Early Fall it should be fine.

One of these days I'll go to PLM. I might go to Laguna Seca this year especially if Audi and the 908's show up.

I have a feeling that the ACO and VAG are going to save ALMS' bacon and show up sooner than PLM, don't get your hopes up but don't be shocked if we get Audi by Mid Ohio (that's the rumor) and the 908's as well.

It would be a serious battle royal at Road America if they can put the programs together.

harvick#1
9th July 2009, 19:35
The 908 is already confirmed to be going to Petit, I'm only hoping Audi comes to or we will already know Peugeot has won the race before it even starts.

I've heard that Audi will be up to the bigshots who will give the ok or not, but you just have to think Audi has to show up to defend all their wins there

FIAT1
10th July 2009, 16:23
I,m going there for the first time and will go to Road America. Can't wait.

FormerFF
10th July 2009, 20:13
I can't remember the last time it actually RAINED for PLM, maybe ONCE, but its fairly rare its late in the Summer/Early Fall it should be fine.

One of these days I'll go to PLM. I might go to Laguna Seca this year especially if Audi and the 908's show up.

I have a feeling that the ACO and VAG are going to save ALMS' bacon and show up sooner than PLM, don't get your hopes up but don't be shocked if we get Audi by Mid Ohio (that's the rumor) and the 908's as well.

It would be a serious battle royal at Road America if they can put the programs together.

I've been to all but the first one. It has only rained once, and that was in the morning before the race started. September and October are our driest months.

harvick#1
18th July 2009, 06:34
anyone know the bag limit to the event, was thinking just bringing a backpack to carry, is that ok, I know all places have certain rules

SportscarBruce
18th July 2009, 16:09

If they haven't changed policy you can actually drive it on Sunday morning in your POV

SportscarBruce
18th July 2009, 16:12
Note to Road Atlanta first-timers; anything you wear is subject to permanent staining by red Georgia clay.

dataman1
20th July 2009, 18:59

I suggest going to the track's website and find a way to contact them directly. All the tracks have golf cart rentals from local providers but only the track will tell you where you can go and/or are restricted. That has been my experience anyway.

harvick#1
31st July 2009, 19:00
Peugeot is confirmed, now ORECA has done the same :D

http://www.oreca-racing.com/a-trip-to-the-petit-le-mans-to-prepare-for-2010/

Audi to be making statement in a few weeks

FormerFF
2nd August 2009, 18:14
anyone know the bag limit to the event, was thinking just bringing a backpack to carry, is that ok, I know all places have certain rules

I carry a backpack and a cooler with a sandwich and drinks every year. I've never seen a limit. At the entrance, there is a sign stating that there is a county ordinance prohibiting the bringing of alcoholic beverages into a sporting event, but I've never seen it enforced, and there is plenty of beer consumed during the event.

The biggest issue I run into is carrying enough water with me, so I usually wind up buying a few drinks from the vendors in addition to what I carry in.

harvick#1
3rd August 2009, 01:37
thanks FF, I should be all good now :laugh: can't wait for the event

Rbmc
19th August 2009, 20:03
At Rd Atlanta you will be able to get just about anywhere along the track on the infield. As far as the outside of the track, you will be able to get from turn 11 back to about turn 8 but other than that and along the front straight, if you can get on the grid, the outside will be restricted to those with the Press Passes. But don't worry there are some great areas on the infield.

Yes, it will be very crowded after about Thursday afternoon on the infield, everyone trying to get there for night practice. Seems to get earlier and earlier in the week each year. I have been flagging it since 2001 will again this year. Will be a great time and also, make sure your get to the paddock and grid before the Petit so you can get some shots of drivers preparing for the race...Have fun.

dataman1
25th August 2009, 14:39
Audi has announced they will be at Petit. Good news for fans and series.

harvick#1
25th August 2009, 14:45
its too bad AMR isn't crossing the pond this year, looks like they are missing out big now

FIAT1
25th August 2009, 18:50
Audi has announced they will be at Petit. Good news for fans and series.

Would be great if they come back next year at RAmerica for the fans and series. I will be at R Atlanta. Good news.

InTTruder
29th August 2009, 11:33
Cherokee Chapter of ACNA is hosting an Audi ACNA member VIP chalet and car corral. Possibility we'll get parade laps also.

http://www.cherokeeaudiclub.com/listing.php?listingid=50&page=149

Air conditioned restrooms, best view of the front straight and turn 1 in the house, and great friends to be made.