PDA

View Full Version : Classic F1

steveaki13
22nd June 2009, 10:43
Hi

I have been watching F1 since 1991, and I was wondering which season was peoples favorite season.
I was only 5 when I watched in 1991, so my memory is hazy from the 1st few years, but the years that stand out for me are 1995, 1999, 2003, 2007, 2008.

But for my fav I would pick 2003, as we had so many different race winners and quite a few great races.

Any thoughts?

V12
22nd June 2009, 10:52
:up: a 1991 starter like me! Did you watch that entire season? I only started watching at the French GP when I flicked onto it one afternoon (the one where Mansell did Prost twice to win).

Like you my memory of 1991 is quite hazy, was only eight at the time, I would say 1993 was the first season that I have a vivid memory of 99% of it, although having said that 1992 was by far and away my favourite season, but I also enjoyed 1996 as well, with 1991 probably third even though I only watched half of it, then after that maybe 1993.

Didn't enjoy 1994 for obvious reasons, 1995 was depressing at times as Schumacher owned Hill for much of the year, 1997 wasn't great apart from Hungary and 1998 wasn't great apart from Spa, 1999 was a bit of a switch off for me and I mostly followed sportscars and CART (the Montoya/Franchitti battle) that year.

2000 and 2001 were largely enjoyable, 2002 boring, 2003 OK, 2004 quite good, steadily getting worse every year after that, although it's perked up a bit for me this year :)

steveaki13
22nd June 2009, 10:57
I am not 100% sure if I saw all races from 1991, but from what I am told I saw season all the way through give or take a few races.

blito
27th June 2009, 16:32
gotta be 1986 for me - beautiful cars, beautiful tracks, plenty of drama and at least 5 dif race winners iirc

Bruce D
29th June 2009, 12:37
Well 91 was a classic season, as was 86, but '85 gets overlooked quite often and I thought that was actually a great season. On paper Prost looked like he dominated it but for quite a while during the season Ferrari were the dominate car with Alboreto leading the championship for a long time before the car ran out of performance just when he needed it.

Was watching the 82 season review the other night and I was thinking that Rosberg had to be one of the craziest guys behind the wheel ever. His antics alone are worth watching that season for.

29th June 2009, 20:13
1992,1996 and 2008 for me. All these seasons ended with British world Champions

Saint Devote
30th June 2009, 01:31
Since 1991 my alltime favorite HAS to be the championship of Mansell, 1992. It was a championship that had the many Mansell detractors beside themselves but those who ardently supported him floating on air.

Mansell was the sort of driver that was either hated or loved - no middle ground really.

So often it was close but lost. The year he lost it in Australia when his tyre blew still remains vividly in my mind.

Mansell was the sort that could overtake where it was supposedly impossible - bot on corners and at tracks, Monte Carlo and the Hungaroring spring to mind.

And 2009 has become an absolute favorite. Why? Because Button, so ridiculously underrated but today evidently, based on his performance in 2009, matching the best performance of any of the greatest drivers.

philipbain
25th July 2009, 23:18
Since 1991 my alltime favorite HAS to be the championship of Mansell, 1992. It was a championship that had the many Mansell detractors beside themselves but those who ardently supported him floating on air.

1992 was categorically NOT a great season, Williams had no competitors, hence the championship was to be fought between Mansell & Patrase, and as Ricardo's contract stipulated that he was Mansell's backup driver it was always destined to be an unequal contest. Mansell deserved to win the championship on sheer merit in '86 and again in '87 in a straight fight, unfortunately fate intervened in both of those seasons. 1992 was a walkover, whichever way you want to slice it which was slightly soured by the fact that Mansell was forever trying to make out that a) dominating the field in a car that is inherently over 2 seconds per lap quicker was infact difficult and b) he actually had to fight his backup man, both points were categorically not the case and tainted a well deserved title.

However winning the Indycar title the very next year restored my respect for Nige, he bossed the ovals, particularly the one mile tracks, I have yet to see anyone who could read traffic on a 1 miler as well as Nigel and he also showed the Indycar lot what a pole lap looks like on the road courses!