PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the Day

F1boat
21st June 2009, 14:42
Funny that nobody posted that. The obvious choice is Vettel, but in my opinion the car was brilliant, so I will give it Massa. Tremendous race with a car, which in my opinon was inferior to Brawn GP or even Williams-Toyota.

gm99
21st June 2009, 14:43
Vettel - what a dominant performance.

Massa & Fisichella did quite well, too.

pino
21st June 2009, 14:43
Vettel, Massa, and Fisi :D

F1boat
21st June 2009, 14:44

Fisi for overtaking move of the race, definitely. :)

yodasarmpit
21st June 2009, 14:45
Massa produced an excellent race performance, I would like to have seen more of Vettel but the results tell a story, pole, fastest lap, and the win.

ShiftingGears
21st June 2009, 14:45
Massa.

Dave B
21st June 2009, 14:46
Massa definately made the best improvement from his qualifying, making Kimi look ordinary.

Tazio
21st June 2009, 14:48
Agreed!
Now I can see why Red Bull was so pissed off about being told last year the
DD would be outside the regs, because they have it "going on "now!

wedge
21st June 2009, 14:50
Vettel, Massa and Fisi

ioan
21st June 2009, 14:50
Call me biased but I'll have to give it to Massa for his drive from 11th to 4th!

PS: According to Helmut Marko the RB5 was at least 1 second per lap faster than any car around Silverstone! Still Vettel was also very impressive today with his composure.
Special mention to Fisichella too!

christophulus
21st June 2009, 14:51
Yep, have to echo everyone else here. Surprised that Massa popped up in 4th and had a shot at the podium, helped in no small part by the KERS-assisted start.

Domination from Vettel too. I hope eventually we get a Button vs. Vettel battle on-track rather than them trading wins.

Tazio
21st June 2009, 14:52
Call me biased but I'll have to give it to Massa for his drive from 11th to 4th!Plus "Team Ferrari" didn't cock-up a thing :mark:

ioan
21st June 2009, 14:53
Domination from Vettel too. I hope eventually we get a Button vs. Vettel battle on-track rather than them trading wins.

That might happen if Brawn get their stuff working again, otherwise we will see Jenson chassing Rosberg for 5th again.

ioan
21st June 2009, 14:54
Plus "Team Ferrari" didn't cock-up a thing :mark:

They did bad enough in yesterday's qualifying, no more bad vibes left for the race! :D

Malbec
21st June 2009, 15:57
I've whittled it down to three, Vettel, Massa and Rubens. Rubens for beating Jenson and staying in the championship fight. Those points could become very handy later on in the season.

markabilly
21st June 2009, 16:26
make it four, as webber might sneak up on all of them......the car is certainly there, but is the driver?

things are so car dominated anyway, it ought to be car of the race rather than driver (or car-driver combo)

and comparing team mates is difficult if not impossible, as one car-set up-track combo can make one driver appear to be much better for one race or even a series--

for me, it is a question of mistakes---vettel let button by in the last race on lap one, so he deserved a donkey

this time no one passed him on lap one, and he won by not screwing up

RB while maybe not with this particular car to be able to dominant or match his team mate, should be doing far far better, but for his mistakes

All in all, some brilliant race engineer with full access to all the data (and who is being honest, recognizing his own biases and feelings) may well be able to tell you who the better driver is in terms of speed and being mistake free...although sometimes with obvious mistakes, we can see the failures

F1boat
21st June 2009, 16:29
That might happen if Brawn get their stuff working again, otherwise we will see Jenson chassing Rosberg for 5th again.

Aren't you a bit cocky, ioan? Even in seasons like 2001 Ferrari lost some races badly, like Germany. This might be the case. Even if it is not, to bash Jenson after one bade race, after his victories, is very petty.

Ent
21st June 2009, 16:30
I have to agree with most of the posts here. Take your pick from Vettel, Massa and Fisi.

ioan
21st June 2009, 16:36
Aren't you a bit cocky, ioan? Even in seasons like 2001 Ferrari lost some races badly, like Germany. This might be the case. Even if it is not, to bash Jenson after one bade race, after his victories, is very petty.

2001 yeah, but what about you take a look to 2004! Looks like a fairer comparison IMO.

Bash Jenson after one bad race? He's had plenty of seasons and never convinced.

F1boat
21st June 2009, 16:43
I disagree, ioan. IMO the BGP01 is far, far worse than the F2004. No way it is as dominant. But because you say 2004, do you remember that in the chilly Brazilian GP the utterly dominant Ferrari struggled against the Williams and McLaren.
It is very funny for me that after six wins I never declared Jenson WDC. One bad race for him and you have him buried... about previous seasons, in my opinion this is a weak argument as great champion like Mika Hakkinen struggled for year in an uncompetitive McLaren.

K-Pu
21st June 2009, 17:18
Fisi and Massa, in that order.

ioan
21st June 2009, 17:49
I disagree, ioan. IMO the BGP01 is far, far worse than the F2004.

And IMO you are taking rubbish.

UltimateDanGTR
21st June 2009, 18:20

I think you mean talking rubbish, I dont think hes a binman ;) (I may be wrong?)

anyway, Vettel must be DOTD simply because he was awesomely quick, he made it look easy. That car and that driver and are now fully wired up and absoloutly superb-get ready for button vs vettel boys-this is gonna be good. (in theory)

Sonic
21st June 2009, 18:24
Aside from the obvious choice I'd like to give a mention to Nico. 3rd best lap time and IMO out performed his car. 5th place was poor reward.

race_director
21st June 2009, 21:53
For me MASSA. and kimi for the start

steveaki13
21st June 2009, 22:31
Vettel for a very dominant win and no visible mistakes

Massa for great drive from 11th to 4th

Fisichella for a race in which he held onto the tail end of the points all race and for passing and easily pulling clear of the 12th-20th battle, allbeit that Heidfeld held them up so much early on.

And finally Hamilton. Not for a great race, but he provided some of the better moments in what I thought was a very so so Grand Prix, and also for the donuts at Club after the race.
I bet in this age of teams talking their drivers in after a race and trying to save engines, Mclaren must have been squirming at that and had a word after no doubt.
Good to see him giving the fans a show after their support given, despite his poor season.

woody2goody
22nd June 2009, 01:51
Vettel for a very dominant win and no visible mistakes

Massa for great drive from 11th to 4th

Fisichella for a race in which he held onto the tail end of the points all race and for passing and easily pulling clear of the 12th-20th battle, allbeit that Heidfeld held them up so much early on.

And finally Hamilton. Not for a great race, but he provided some of the better moments in what I thought was a very so so Grand Prix, and also for the donuts at Club after the race.
I bet in this age of teams talking their drivers in after a race and trying to save engines, Mclaren must have been squirming at that and had a word after no doubt.
Good to see him giving the fans a show after their support given, despite his poor season.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Nico drove well too.

woody2goody
22nd June 2009, 01:54

Come on ioan, the F2004 is probably the best F1 car ever made. The Brawn has never been a second a lap quicker than anyone all season.

F2004 destroyed everyone. For example in Australia they coasted after the final stops and still beat Alonso by over 30 sec.

Apart from Turkey, Brawn haven't even dominated a race like Vettel did on Sunday. Jenson's wins haven't always been because of the fastest car you know.

keysersoze
22nd June 2009, 02:21
Since he will so few chances for the rest of his career to make this list, I'll say Fisi. :D

ioan
22nd June 2009, 09:20
Come on ioan, the F2004 is probably the best F1 car ever made. The Brawn has never been a second a lap quicker than anyone all season.

F2004 destroyed everyone. For example in Australia they coasted after the final stops and still beat Alonso by over 30 sec.

Apart from Turkey, Brawn haven't even dominated a race like Vettel did on Sunday. Jenson's wins haven't always been because of the fastest car you know.

Than maybe it was down to drivers! :D

Knock-on
22nd June 2009, 09:25
Massa did a superb job and Vettel was sublime.

Vettel owned Silverstone this weekend and just sneaks it for a peerless performance.

Knock-on
22nd June 2009, 09:26
Than maybe it was down to drivers! :D

Who were?

:p

ioan
22nd June 2009, 09:29
Who were?

:p

Not sure I remember it right, it's been 5 years after all, maybe that 7 times WDC! :p

Knock-on
22nd June 2009, 09:41
Not sure I remember it right, it's been 5 years after all, maybe that 7 times WDC! :p

I remember a certain South American that you choose to rubbish these days as it doesn't suit your POV :D

ioan
22nd June 2009, 10:00
I remember a certain South American that you choose to rubbish these days as it doesn't suit your POV :D

You mean the guy that made his team mate look like a snail yesterday?! :p
Yep he was fast too! :laugh:

AndyL
22nd June 2009, 10:15
Since he will so few chances for the rest of his career to make this list, I'll say Fisi. :D

He's been on it twice this year now :) Quite a few people nominated him for his 9th in Monaco.

V12
22nd June 2009, 10:41
Would like to post something new and interesting but I can only agree with a Vettel/Massa/Fisichella toss-up. I think if I had to choose I'd give it to Fisi for his move on the opening(?) lap when he ducked under those two cars at Stowe, think one of them was Heidfeld which was crucial as he then went on to hold the rest of the field up.

stevie_gerrard
22nd June 2009, 10:49
Fisi for overtaking move of the race, definitely. :)

That overtaking move nearly went unnoticed, it was an excellent move.

For me, i think it deserves to go to Vettel for simply pushing the car constantly and putting in a flawless performance. Honourable mention for Massa, who showed how good he is with great moves up the grid and good strategy.

jens
22nd June 2009, 17:27
Vettel, Massa, Rosberg and Fisichella. As have been mostly mentioned here already.

But Fisi certainly deserves a special mention and if we also recall his Monaco drive, it looks like the old hand still has fire left and after a bit disappointing start into the season has recently rejuvenated after seeing that FI isn't stagnated to the back of the field endlessly and it's possible to get somewhere in that car. Although there have been rumours like FI's 2010 line-up (in which series?) might be Sutil & Liuzzi, then Fisi is trying as hard as hell to convince the team boss to decide otherwise, so it would be interesting to see, what happens. Although GF finished 10th, P7 was actually in his sight, so matching the pace of the likes of Ferrari and Toyota is quite of an achievement.