PDA

View Full Version : Bernie may race at Silverstone next year...

Hondo
20th June 2009, 16:18
Now Bernie says FIA/F1 may have to use Silverstone next year...lol.

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=46186

I'd ask the little rodent how much he was willing to pay to have his race there. Mere coincidence of course.

If the FOTA series happens, I hope they stage their first and last race of their first season at Silverstone. In addition I hope they start their season a week before Max does.

I think they ought to pick 8 tracks in Europe, Canada, and the USA and race on each one twice during the first season. They need to stay where their style of racing will attract spectators, and that ain't Turkey and China.

markabilly
20th June 2009, 17:59
Bernie may race at Silverstone next year...

Good, I would love to see him race, watch his little feet go petter patter all around the track, right in front of a steam roller

20th June 2009, 18:05
Bernie may get a track to race on but if everyone off racing in the FOTA series what is the point

Sonic
20th June 2009, 19:40
Amazing. Bernie going back on his word. I'm shocked! ;)

cosmicpanda
20th June 2009, 21:08
Bernie may come back to Silverstone... because he doesn't want FOTA to.

Mark in Oshawa
20th June 2009, 21:17
Bernie is a weasel. If he died tomorrow, half of the problems with f1 would be solved....

yodasarmpit
21st June 2009, 14:28
Do we really want Silverstone, I've just watched a race where all throughout the field no-one could overtake.

Everyone blames the cars for that fact, but personally I put a lot of the blame for the inability to overtake on track design.

Throughout the years cars have evolved, however the basic design of circuits has not.

christophulus
21st June 2009, 14:31
Do we really want Silverstone, I've just watched a race where all throughout the field no-one could overtake.

Everyone blames the cars for that fact, but personally I put a lot of the blame for the inability to overtake on track design.

There were quite a few battles and some good defensive driving. If the cars could either follow closer or adjust top gear (there were a few occasions where they were hitting the rev limiter) we'd have seen a bit more action.

AndyL
21st June 2009, 14:32
I'm pretty sure I saw the current world champion pass the 05/06 world champion for position, and then the 05/06 champion passed back again. But I could have been mistaken.

yodasarmpit
21st June 2009, 14:34
I added a ninja edit, whilst you were typing no doubt.
Although car designs have evolved making overtaking difficult, the basic layout of tracks has not moved on in 50 years to accommodate modern F1 cars.

Silverstone is one of those tracks that does not enable overtaking unless someone makes a mistake.

I'm pretty sure I saw the current world champion pass the 05/06 world champion for position, and then the 05/06 champion passed back again. But I could have been mistaken.
One overtaking move per race :(

I honestly believe that track design needs to be seriously looked at, wider, more twists and braking zones.
There are too many corner series where the cars can only follow each other in single file regardless of airflow issues.

DazzlaF1
21st June 2009, 23:06
Remember when the British GP always used to alternate between Silverstone and Brands Hatch, well whats not to stop it happening again, they do it for the German GP, why not here?

Sonic
22nd June 2009, 19:55

Throughout the years cars have evolved, however the basic design of circuits has not.

I think Silverstone had evolved. Maggots, becketts, stowe, vale, abbey and the complex have all been added/changed to suit the breed of car racing on it. Ironically Silverstone circa 1981 would have produced better racing with todays generation of car. The tighter becketts would have allowed cars to follow more closely though chapel and down hanger for a run at stowe. Leaving Vale and club as they are now with the older flat out abbey would give another shot into the chicane where luffield is now.

Sadly 'progress' has robbed us of those oportunities.

On a slightly different note; if we do go back to Stone I hope we do not use the proposed layout utilising the south circuit and national straight. Neither are long enough for a decent pass and totally break the flow of the current GP track.

jens
22nd June 2009, 21:26
Such statement from Bernie shows IMO only his desperation and that he feels FOTA's series would beat his F1 in terms of popularity. I guess from now on he would try to do his best to block FOTA getting the better circuits of the world.

CNR
22nd June 2009, 23:27
I added a ninja edit, whilst you were typing no doubt.
Although car designs have evolved making overtaking difficult, the basic layout of tracks has not moved on in 50 years to accommodate modern F1 cars.

Silverstone is one of those tracks that does not enable overtaking unless someone makes a mistake.

One overtaking move per race :(

I honestly believe that track design needs to be seriously looked at, wider, more twists and braking zones.
There are too many corner series where the cars can only follow each other in single file regardless of airflow issues.

a lot of the race tracks could be fixed just by adding a overtaking lane all the money wasted on car changes to make it easy to overtake