PDA

View Full Version : Schumacher endorses FOTA

ioan
20th June 2009, 14:34
"Formula 1 has always been the platform for the best drivers and the best teams. This is what is admired all over the world]But if this is constantly put into question due to permanent uncertainty of rules it is maybe better to really defend that value, leave and establish it somewhere else in a reasonable way[/u]."

Schumacher says he is baffled by the fact that the teams and the FIA could not agree on rule changes that would have secured the long term future of the sport.

"It is simply not understandable that all teams share their view on how to approach the reforms and the governing body still wants to implement something else," he said.

"Of course this seems unimaginable in the first moment, but this time all big teams stick together. This makes a new championship much more realistic. It is starting to be a real alternative to me. As a motorsport fan I want to watch the best show which is where the best drivers and the best teams compete with each other."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76364

airshifter
20th June 2009, 15:08
I was just the other day wondering what Schumacher and other past greats have thought of this entire dispute. Love or hate him, Schumacher IMHO was one of the ones that really enjoyed for the sport a well deserved victory.

It's good to see that he seems to be behind keeping F1 the pinnacle of motorsport. I'd hate to see his, or any other drivers, records be put at risk due to a dumbed down F1 series allowing possibly complete dominance from a larger team.

Chaparral66
22nd June 2009, 03:52
Remember the old saying, "those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it."
Formula 1 is about to make the same mistake that American Open Wheel Racing (AOWR) made starting in 1996, and only "recovered" from last year. I just heard the deadline has been extended. And there are reports that several racetracks, including Monaco, have said they want nothing to do with F1 if Ferrari isn't a part of it. If the FIA and FOTA are still talking, then I say lock yourselves in a room, and don't even think about leaving until this is resolved. Don't make the same bullheaded, ego infused, money grubbing move that AOWR made, and still haven't recovered from, regardless of merger.

markabilly
22nd June 2009, 03:59
Formula 1 is about to make the same mistake that American Open Wheel Racing (AOWR) made starting in 1996, and only "recovered" from last year. I just heard the deadline has been extended. And there are reports that several racetracks, including Monaco, have said they want nothing to do with F1 if Ferrari isn't a part of it. If the FIA and FOTA are still talking, then I say lock yourselves in a room, and don't even think about leaving until this is resolved. Don't make the same bullheaded, ego infused, money grubbing move that AOWR made, and still haven't recovered from, regardless of merger.
They have still not recovered....but anyway, if champ car had sucked in INdy, champ car would not have failed, but the two of them screwed with each other over and over, and the weaker one who had Indy succeeded

As already pointed out in another thread, the tracks ARE the key, not merely drivers and cars

Personally my suspicion it is all a negoting ploy

Valve Bounce
22nd June 2009, 04:28
Agreed!! one way or another, there will only be one series next year (whatever its name will be). Either an F1 with all the current teams plus maybe one or two new teams, or just the FOTA championship, minus a couple of the current F1 teams, but possibly including a couple of new teams.

There will not be two different and certainly not conflicting championships being the outcome of the present dispute.

winer
22nd June 2009, 06:21
I think the logistics of organizing a whole series of races would be overwhelming. FOTA might be able to organize a few for next year, but not the 17 that were being proposed as possibilities.

wmcot
22nd June 2009, 07:32
I think the logistics of organizing a whole series of races would be overwhelming. FOTA might be able to organize a few for next year, but not the 17 that were being proposed as possibilities.

It all depends on how much they are willing to spend to get the series up and running. If they hire a good management team and don't mind taking a loss for a year or two, they just might do it the right way!

ioan
22nd June 2009, 09:36

Who says they didn't learn?!

ioan
22nd June 2009, 09:37
It all depends on how much they are willing to spend to get the series up and running. If they hire a good management team and don't mind taking a loss for a year or two, they just might do it the right way!

Exactly! :up:
It's still easier to say it's impossible than use a bit of brain to make it possible. ;)

I am evil Homer
22nd June 2009, 10:03
I think the "organisation" part is a bit of a myth thrown around by the FIA....plenty of circuits out there that already make the grade or could be upgraded to do so. If FOTA gave you call you'd offer them the track! Ditto logistics....not that hard to fly equipment, staff etc. there's plenty of private firms who will do that.

17 races might be tricky but I could easily see 12 in the first year.

AndyL
22nd June 2009, 10:13

cf. the Challenger fallacy: just because a particular thing happened when you did this before, doesn't mean the same thing will happen when you do it again. (Because the outcome is dependent on many variables that are not controlled by your action.)

Not that I'm supporting the idea of a split, but it's just something to keep in mind.

Knock-on
22nd June 2009, 11:00
I don't think he's endorsing a breakaway series but is more expressing frustration with the current pissing contest.

Like most of us, he feels that if there cannot be consensus, then perhaps it would be better to start a new series.

This is the real problem as I see it. A breakaway series is not for the best but it is to avoid killing what is left of F1.

race_director
22nd June 2009, 11:04
MS with his experience and his status can be a major force for putting together this new series, if it takes of

ANyway what does he do now days???

Mark
22nd June 2009, 11:11
MS with his experience and his status can be a major force for putting together this new series, if it takes of

Dresses up in white and drives supercars around a track? :p

ioan
22nd June 2009, 11:13

Usually he has fun, like driving in bike races, winning Kart races and yesterday he was the Stig.

Knock-on
22nd June 2009, 11:36
[unfounded rumour alert]

If there was a new series, do you think he could be tempted back for a season or two?

[/unfounded rumour alert]

ioan
22nd June 2009, 12:13
No.