PDA

View Full Version : Bernie jumped off the boat ?

race_director
19th June 2009, 21:19
It has been a very eventful and exciting day with shoes flying from all corner's, The real question is that the MAN who is the face of the championship. the man who has a greater power than even MAX, is silent and no where seen today.

I find a single quote from him today , it sounds very interesting.
The man himself was keeping tight-lipped about the situation on Friday morning, however, ducking questions from the media about the situation.

"You'll have to ask Max about it," said Ecclestone about the breakaway plans. "For me, this situation is just back to the future."

full story http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76305

The reason why i find this very interesting is that F1 has been his baby for the last 20-30 yrs. i do not think that he will so easily allow it to be lost by MAD MAX

Bernie through out the crises has been non commitial on the whole whole issue of budget CAP. expect for the odd words. he has said, never came out openly on the CAP

I even remember a quote from him somewhere a month back, saying that he is ready to arrange things for FOTA if they want.

In short i have to conclusion of what bernie is gonna do.

1) Sign up and manage the FOTA series. since he already have less than 25% of stake in CVC . and also that he know's that he cannot make money by selling a gp3 series to race tracks and broadcaster. He has come to agreement with FOTA and is gonna ditch F1

2) He is also so pissed at MAX, that he has left him alone, and wants to MAX go

This are just a thought. if u have anyone reason chip in

Sonic
19th June 2009, 21:44
Bernie can smell money like my son can smell cake so if there is any way for him to claw back his divorce money then he'll find it.

Daniel
19th June 2009, 22:11
Bernie is a flipping moron. I just heard the **** he said to the media from the next room. What an out and out tool. THat's all I can really say......

I don't think FOTA will let Bernie anywhere near their breakaway series if there is one. Would you? Bernie is part of the problem and certainly not part of a solution.

Big Ben
19th June 2009, 22:27
I think he could be a could tool against max.

yodasarmpit
19th June 2009, 22:48
I honestly think it would be worth putting a bet on that Bernie will be involved in the new series if it ever gets off the ground.

emporer_k
19th June 2009, 23:07
Bernie will no doubt follow the money but I dont think FOTA would want any third party creaming off revenue generated from the series.

ioan
19th June 2009, 23:30
Bernie is part of the problem. The CVC and directly FOM has to service a huge debt they have with RBS.
As long as there was no financial crisis there was no problem, but now that their income from TV stations and tracks has started to shrink they were no more able to pay their debt and the interests out 50% of the F1 income (the other 50% goes to the teams).
So IMO the 40 million cap is more than anything a way to ensure that the teams will not have the right to ask for more than that from FOM.

The CVC debt is what brought things here and that debt exists because a certain Bernie Ecclestone pocketed money that the CVC paid him by taking a loan that needs to be paid back by the whole F1!

No matter how much Bernie will be willing to go with the breakaway series truth is they do not need him and also do not want him.

markabilly
20th June 2009, 02:27
Bernie is part of the problem. The CVC and directly FOM has to service a huge debt they have with RBS.
As long as there was no financial crisis there was no problem, but now that their income from TV stations and tracks has started to shrink they were no more able to pay their debt and the interests out 50% of the F1 income (the other 50% goes to the teams).
So IMO the 40 million cap is more than anything a way to ensure that the teams will not have the right to ask for more than that from FOM.

The CVC debt is what brought things here and that debt exists because a certain Bernie Ecclestone pocketed money that the CVC paid him by taking a loan that needs to be paid back by the whole F1!

No matter how much Bernie will be willing to go with the breakaway series truth is they do not need him and also do not want him.

and with debt like that, would not be able to afford him if they wanted him back, as no doubt, when time comes and they don't get paid, the hawks and lawyers will be after his small skinny buttocks

Valve Bounce
20th June 2009, 02:37
My gut feeling is that the fellow from Ferrari will be the chief spokesman for FOTA, but somewhere behind the scene (and not too far behind) lurks sleazy Flav who will somehow be very much involved on the financial side.

Does anyone else share this bad feeling?

wmcot
20th June 2009, 07:30
So if the FOTA breakaway succeeds, Bernie ends up in debtors prison and Max ends up in the loony bin? I love it!

UltimateDanGTR
20th June 2009, 08:11
So if the FOTA breakaway succeeds, Bernie ends up in debtors prison and Max ends up in the loony bin? I love it!

we can all dream! FOTA may have done the whole motorsport world a favour............

Jag_Warrior
20th June 2009, 23:22

I think Bernie has the most to lose in this game of chicken, then Max and finally, waaaay back there, the FOTA teams.

I would include the fans in this, but it's been clear for awhile that the fans don't really matter to the powers that be.

mstillhere
21st June 2009, 00:45
My gut feeling is that the fellow from Ferrari will be the chief spokesman for FOTA, but somewhere behind the scene (and not too far behind) lurks sleazy Flav who will somehow be very much involved on the financial side.

Flav as in Flav or as in Renault?

superocean
21st June 2009, 03:25
Bernie now says spend what you want but keep me out of debtor prison. Play here in my sandbox and don't go across the street to your own sandbox.

http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/310870/Ecclestone_sings_a_new_tune__let_teams_spend_what_ they_want/

I say this is the best time for FOTA to get rid of Bernie and CVC. If Bernie wanted to resolve this, why didn't he come out earlier and tell Max to shelf the cap? YOu can't argue with someone and slap them then when it's your turn to get slapped say ok lets stop fighting and let's make up and kiss now.

Slap bernie max and other idiots now and go start your own series. I'd bet other manufacturers might be interested in joining.

Valve Bounce
21st June 2009, 04:44
Flav as in Flav or as in Renault?
I did qualify that with "sleazy" :rolleyes:

wmcot
21st June 2009, 08:37

I'd take a "sleazy Flav" over a "crazy Max!"

(Besides, they'll be better at marketing F1 shirts with Flav in there - he has experience!) :)

jens
21st June 2009, 10:04
Didn't Bernie make a proposal that if F1 teams commit for 5 more years (until 2014), they can spend as much as they want?

http://business.smh.com.au/business/f1-bet-skids-off-track-20090326-9b85.html
Oh... and as a huge "coincidence" it turns out that CVC needs to pay its debts by... 2014! I suppose F1 teams see through Bernie's plan and from their own experience teams should know perfectly well that it's useless to make any deals with that man. Teams are simply a tool in fulfilling BE's self-interests, nothing more. It certainly isn't in the interest of teams to avoid Bernie going into bankruptcy, hence breakaway is the best solution.

F1boat
21st June 2009, 10:33
I think he could be a could tool against max.

This is like Freddy vs Jason. Both are horrible.

K-Pu
21st June 2009, 18:59
Get rid of Bernie, get rid of Max and then break away...

Couldnīt they get rid of Max and Bernie and donīt split F1 in two? What happens if you split a 1€ note? You donīt get two 50 cents coins...

ioan
21st June 2009, 19:05
Get rid of Bernie, get rid of Max and then break away...

Couldnīt they get rid of Max and Bernie and donīt split F1 in two? What happens if you split a 1€ note? You donīt get two 50 cents coins...

There's no 1€ note.

But if you mean that you got 10 x 10 euro cents and you split it 2 to 8 than you get 20 cents vs 80 cents! ;)

K-Pu
22nd June 2009, 11:14
There's no 1€ note.

But if you mean that you got 10 x 10 euro cents and you split it 2 to 8 than you get 20 cents vs 80 cents! ;)

Touché. I was thinking both in dollars and euros, and then I say stupid things. Iīll have to take my medication :D .

Valve Bounce
22nd June 2009, 12:20
I'd take a "sleazy Flav" over a "crazy Max!"

(Besides, they'll be better at marketing F1 shirts with Flav in there - he has experience!) :)

Yeah! but some would point out that Max is better at holding the whip hand. :eek:

dwboogityfan
22nd June 2009, 19:12
I cannot believe the amount of people on here criticising Bernie. He has almost single handedly made F1 into the great sport it is today. Without his vision F1 would not be the second biggest sport in the world (behind soccer). I for one will be sorry when Bernie is no longer involved in F1.

jens
22nd June 2009, 20:53
I cannot believe the amount of people on here criticising Bernie. He has almost single handedly made F1 into the great sport it is today. Without his vision F1 would not be the second biggest sport in the world (behind soccer). I for one will be sorry when Bernie is no longer involved in F1.

Well, the problem is that we must adapt to changes time brings to us and past accomplishments don't really count here. For example I think that Bernie was a great team boss at Brabham. The team was competitive and they introduced several interesting "things", like for example new approach to race strategies in 1982 - fueling for only half of a distance to make a pitstop after midrace.

But with every passing year BE's involvement, demands, self-interest and CVC debts are getting more and more harmful for the health of Formula One. And with aging his mind doesn't seem to be that bright any more either. New blood is badly needed.

ioan
22nd June 2009, 21:17
I for one will be sorry when Bernie is no longer involved in F1.

A the French say: Tant pis!

nigelred5
23rd June 2009, 00:24
I suspect Bernie could sell out or walk away from his 20 or 25% ownership and leave CVC holding a worthless bag of excrement since it's gonna be all but worthless as soon as the FOTA teams turn a wheel in anger. Max and the FIA are screwing up Bernie's pie. He's not the one with the draconian budget cut proposal on the table. I feel no sorrow for Bernie, but he's not exactly the one screwin the pooch here. It's in his best interest for things to stay exactly as it is. If he were to leave F1 and run the FOTA, there's no way in he!! the FOTA would ever give Bernie the level of control or the financial stake he has had in F1.

wmcot
23rd June 2009, 08:05

It's time to move past Bernie's "vision" of F1 (a huge cash cow for him!) and move into a period of F1 where teams (private and manufacturer) have a say and are not dictated to. It's time for the teams to receive a fair share of the revenue instead of Bernie using it to pay off his debt.

wmcot
23rd June 2009, 08:07
If he were to leave F1 and run the FOTA, there's no way in he!! the FOTA would ever give Bernie the level of control or the financial stake he has had in F1.

Yeah, the teams are too smart to run a series to fill Bernie's pockets. He might actually have to earn his money!

Daniel
23rd June 2009, 08:25
It's time to move past Bernie's "vision" of F1 (a huge cash cow for him!) and move into a period of F1 where teams (private and manufacturer) have a say and are not dictated to. It's time for the teams to receive a fair share of the revenue instead of Bernie using it to pay off his debt.
Bernie's just annoyed that the teams have realised that they could actually go it alone and make MONEY out of a series. if Ferrari, McLaren, Renno, Toyota and BMW all go across and they have the best drivers and some classic circuits then I don't see how it's not going to succeed. What does having a dozey old dwarf in charge give the series that anyone else couldn't?

SGWilko
23rd June 2009, 09:02
What seems blatantly obvious to me is that Bernie has tasked Max with introducing a budget cap, so that the teams can be given less money, so Bernie can help CVC pay off their debt a lot quicker.

Teams know this. Teams also know that, with a well run series, at lots of popular and diverse tracks they can;

Give the fans lots of circuits at affordable ticket prices.

More fans = more merchandise sold at circuits.

More tracks and bigger attendance = happy sponsors.

More attractive series = more manufacturers and independents joining.

I really don't see there is a way back now. FOTA NEED to do this, and make it work. Luca has the know-how (World cup '90), Flav and Ron have the nous and connections. ALl they need are people like King Juan Carlos and Prince Albert etc to shout their cause, and people will take note.

I for one am excited at the prospect of a FOTA series. There WILL be NO rival series if they go it alone, because as it is, there are not enough teams that can actually produce a car, let alone a competetive one.

A possible track sponsor, and welcome returnee could be Michelin...