PDA

View Full Version : Formula One is finished - Alonso

woody2goody
19th June 2009, 12:49
Sorry for making so many threads but this irked me a little:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8108300.stm

Does he not remember how he started his career - in a Minardi?

To me this is a chance for new stars to be born, guys who would not have previously had a chance in F1, or had been forced out.

Guys like Giorgio Pantano, Senna, Sato, Davidson, Pizzonia etc.

The bottom line is anyone could have a realistic chance of becoming Formula 1 World Champion next year. You have to put your money on Williams and Force India but you never know.

It sickens me how some of the current drivers can come out and bad-mouth the new teams before they've even competed. You don't see Jenson or Lewis, or Fisi, or Vettel doing that.

CNR
19th June 2009, 12:54
how sure is anybody that williams will stay
force india may not stay

Garry Walker
19th June 2009, 12:55
To me this is a chance for new stars to be born, guys who would not have previously had a chance in F1, or had been forced out.

You mean failures? The guys no serious team wanted, because they simply were not good enough? Yeah, they will suit "F1" really well for next year.

Cooper_S
19th June 2009, 12:57
You don't see Jenson or Lewis, or Fisi, or Vettel doing that.

only because maybe no one has asked them yet...

Cooper_S
19th June 2009, 12:59
how sure is anybody that Williams will stay
Force India may not stay

where will they go... they have been 'expelled' from FOTA and presumably a FOTA series

Mark
19th June 2009, 13:03
They haven't been expelled, merely suspended.

AndyL
19th June 2009, 13:05
where will they go... they have been 'expelled' from FOTA and presumably a FOTA series

I think they would be accepted back with open arms.

There has to be at least a half chance of this happening. If they are under the same contractual obligations as Ferrari, and Ferrari manage to argue their way out of it, then presumably that would put Williams and Force India in the clear to make their own choices too.

CNR
19th June 2009, 13:14

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76310

"We have been completely open and transparent with FOTA," said Mallya in a statement.
"We have shared the legal and commercial obligations that necessitated an unconditional entry by Force India to the FIA Formula One World Championship 2010. I think the transparency with which we acted was appreciated by FOTA but they chose to suspend us, like Williams.
"We were always hoping there would be compromise between FOTA and the FIA but at midnight last night I was notified by FOTA about their decision, which already seems to be heading towards a breakaway championship or series.

ioan
19th June 2009, 13:23
You don't see Jenson or Lewis, or Fisi, or Vettel doing that.

Vettel already stated that he does not believe the newcomer teams have what it's needed to be in F1.

That's pretty much like saying that Max's F1 is pants.

Dave B
19th June 2009, 14:58
only because maybe no one has asked them yet...

Jenson's certainly been asked:

Well, I don’t think that’s for us to discuss here, really. We’re not the people who have been in the talks, the serious talks, anyway, and I think all the team principals and team owners have been very, very busy over the last few weeks in meetings and it would be unfair for us to comment on the situation at this time, I think.

Source: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/6/9510.html

RJL25
19th June 2009, 15:32
from what I can read in that article, Fernando is just saying that regardless of FOTA and the FIA, he believes that the new regulations for next year will mean that Formula One will no longer be what it used to be, and he will not be interested in the sport. Lets not forget Fernando is contracted to no one next year, he is saying he doesn't like the looks of what is going on in Formula One and is saying "well bugger this, there are other things for me to race in, sports cars, indycars, i'll go do something else"

fair enough

Max, Bernie, I hope your millions are worth it because you have rewined the sport that so many people love. You two men are the most disgusting people to ever be associated with motorsport.

19th June 2009, 15:39
You two men are the most disgusting people to ever be associated with motorsport.

I think Hitler and Mussolini, in the general scheme of things, probably edge that dubious accolade.

RJL25
19th June 2009, 15:47
i said to be involved in motorsport, not to have ever lived, although they probably would make that list somewhere too

V12
19th June 2009, 16:01
I'm guessing he was referring to the Fascist-backed teams of the 1930s? Hitler's regime certainly supported the Mercedes and Auto Union teams, not sure if Mussolini and co did likewise with Alfa and Maserati though.

ioan
19th June 2009, 16:01
I think Hitler and Mussolini, in the general scheme of things, probably edge that dubious accolade.

But Max and Bernie managed to come damn close even without a World War.

Bobby_Hamlin
19th June 2009, 17:56
So Alonso doesn't want any part of a 'single engine' Formula 1 but would happily entertain the idea of running a spec chassis and spec engine in Indycar against the likes of Milka Duno and Stanton Barrett?

Jag_Warrior
19th June 2009, 18:14
So Alonso doesn't want any part of a 'single engine' Formula 1 but would happily entertain the idea of running a spec chassis and spec engine in Indycar against the likes of Milka Duno and Stanton Barrett?

Yeah, that is rather ironic, isn't it? While I agree with Alonso's overall point about the potential demise of F1, on the finer points, he's never struck me as the sharpest tool in the shed.

"Here, Fernando. Take this voucher to your local Walmart and pick out your Dallara-Honda. Choose any color you want. And if you run into Milka Duno, don't stare at her chest... she doesn't like that."

ioan
19th June 2009, 18:46
"Here, Fernando. Take this voucher to your local Walmart and pick out your Dallara-Honda. Choose any color you want. And if you run into Milka Duno, don't stare at her chest... she doesn't like that."

That will never happen, European women are much better than Milka, so no danger there. :D

Jag_Warrior
19th June 2009, 18:59
That will never happen, European women are much better than Milka, so no danger there. :D

Don't fool yourself. They're the same where ever you go. If it's got wheels or (.)V(.), it's going to cost you money.

ioan
19th June 2009, 19:03
Don't fool yourself. They're the same where ever you go. If it's got wheels or (.)V(.), it's going to cost you money.

I agree about the ones with wheels.
However the ones with (.)V(.) are free and never cost me money! :D

Jag_Warrior
19th June 2009, 19:17

That's what all younger fellows say and think. It's a side effect of being young, dumb and full of.... er... "desire". But ain't nothin' free... except for air - and my local gas station charges for that now. ;)

And speaking of delusions, if Alonso comes over here, expecting the CART IndyCar of days gone by, boy have we got a suuuurprise for him!

ioan
19th June 2009, 23:36
That's what all younger fellows say and think. It's a side effect of being young, dumb and full of.... er... "desire". But ain't nothin' free... except for air - and my local gas station charges for that now. ;)

I'm no so young anymore! It must be something else. :)

PS: Around here (Europe that is) air at the gas station is also free just like the ones with (.)V(.)! Maybe we are just lucky! :D a

ioan
20th June 2009, 01:41
I've been trying to keep abreast of your points here and wonder what it has to do with Max & Bernie - the titular heads of F1.

I was replying to someone else's posts.

markabilly
20th June 2009, 01:44
I've been trying to keep abreast of your points here and wonder what it has to do with Max & Bernie - the titular heads of F1.

Then crawl on back to the IRL where you belong along with tony, danica.... :down: ......and take freddie with you

Dave B
20th June 2009, 07:52
I'll laugh even if nobody else understands ;) :laugh:

wmcot
20th June 2009, 07:56
Sorry for making so many threads but this irked me a little:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8108300.stm

Does he not remember how he started his career - in a Minardi?

The bottom line is anyone could have a realistic chance of becoming Formula 1 World Champion next year. You have to put your money on Williams and Force India but you never know.

It sickens me how some of the current drivers can come out and bad-mouth the new teams before they've even competed. You don't see Jenson or Lewis, or Fisi, or Vettel doing that.

The way I read his statement is that he is badmouthing the new Max-F1 series and not the teams in particular. He is simply stating that Max-F1 is not the pinnacle of racing where the best drivers and the best equipment compete.

I doubt he would be critical of a team joining the Real F1 (as we remember it from a few years back.) He's simply saying that you could fill a grid with Vauxhalls and call it F1, but it wouldn't be F1.

Then again, if things don't work out, we'd love to have him in ALMS where innovative cars can still use technology, don't have to run 2 compounds of tires, can refuel, and the drivers actually talk to the fans!

wmcot
20th June 2009, 07:57

Wow, you mean that's too deep for some people?

woody2goody
20th June 2009, 08:07
The way I read his statement is that he is badmouthing the new Max-F1 series and not the teams in particular. He is simply stating that Max-F1 is not the pinnacle of racing where the best drivers and the best equipment compete.

I doubt he would be critical of a team joining the Real F1 (as we remember it from a few years back.) He's simply saying that you could fill a grid with Vauxhalls and call it F1, but it wouldn't be F1.

Then again, if things don't work out, we'd love to have him in ALMS where innovative cars can still use technology, don't have to run 2 compounds of tires, can refuel, and the drivers actually talk to the fans!

I know and agree with what you're saying, but what allows Alonso, or any other current driver, to make judgments based on assumptions about the quality of certain organisations? The new teams could (probably won't) be better than the old ones.

wmcot
20th June 2009, 08:11
I know and agree with what you're saying, but what allows Alonso, or any other current driver, to make judgments based on assumptions about the quality of certain organisations? The new teams could (probably won't) be better than the old ones.

The thing is that the new teams won't have the heritage and charisma of the old teams. F1 is partly about history. The new series will be starting without any history and will be less attractive to fans and advertisers. Campos may be good, but they are not a household name like Ferrari.

woody2goody
20th June 2009, 08:17
The thing is that the new teams won't have the heritage and charisma of the old teams. F1 is partly about history. The new series will be starting without any history and will be less attractive to fans and advertisers. Campos may be good, but they are not a household name like Ferrari.

Oh you're 100% correct, but after a few races we will build new 'relationships' with the teams and find out who they are and what their personalities bring to the dance.

I'm still going to watch the FOTA Championship, but for them to say that F1 is doomed to failure due to a lack of 'name' drivers and teams is nonsense. I think F1 will have far bigger problems than just a lack of big names.

At this point nobody knows what either series will be like. Will FOTA go back to pre-2009 spec cars? Probably not, but they might do.

wmcot
20th June 2009, 08:26
Oh you're 100% correct, but after a few races we will build new 'relationships' with the teams and find out who they are and what their personalities bring to the dance.

I'm still going to watch the FOTA Championship, but for them to say that F1 is doomed to failure due to a lack of 'name' drivers and teams is nonsense. I think F1 will have far bigger problems than just a lack of big names.

At this point nobody knows what either series will be like. Will FOTA go back to pre-2009 spec cars? Probably not, but they might do.

For me, it will take some time to build a relationship with a new series. It's a bit like the ALMS race that I attended last month. They had Formula BMW, Atlantic Lights, VW TDI cup and other support series, but they were just a bunch of colorful cars going around the track. The drivers change too often to follow them unless you are personally involved with one of them.

20th June 2009, 09:56

Just wait until she divorces you!

ioan
20th June 2009, 10:29
I'll laugh even if nobody else understands ;) :laugh:

Thanks for making it obvious Dave, at 3 am I somehow lacked the lucidity to grasp the depth of it! ;)

ioan
20th June 2009, 10:30
Just wait until she divorces you!

First she'll have to manage to marry me! ;)

woody2goody
20th June 2009, 10:30
For me, it will take some time to build a relationship with a new series. It's a bit like the ALMS race that I attended last month. They had Formula BMW, Atlantic Lights, VW TDI cup and other support series, but they were just a bunch of colorful cars going around the track. The drivers change too often to follow them unless you are personally involved with one of them.

Yeah it's the same with the BTCC support races. Even though I might watch 5 or 6 weekends of those races a year, I barely remember the drivers and which cars they drive. It took me almost the whole 2008 season to know all the Porsche Carrera Cup drivers and there were only about 10 cars :D

markabilly
20th June 2009, 12:14
Wow, you mean that's too deep for some people?
Careful, he will be sending you a rude PM, wanting to spank like he did to me, :rolleyes:

after all, he is a "moderator" :eek:

donKey jote
20th June 2009, 19:10
(.)(.)
__|__
\___/

ioan
20th June 2009, 19:39
Careful, he will be sending you a rude PM, wanting to spank like he did to me, :rolleyes:

after all, he is a "moderator" :eek:

I agree, he's overstepping it a bit.

ioan
20th June 2009, 19:40
(.)(.)
__|__
\___/

:laugh: :up:

Tazio
20th June 2009, 21:01
what allows Alonso, or any other current driver, to make judgments based on assumptions about the quality of certain organisations?
The same thing that allows you and me to.
Opinions are worth what you pay for them! :burnout: