PDA

View Full Version : Ironic twist for TV coverage?

woody2goody
19th June 2009, 12:39
Wouldn't it be extremely funny if ITV purchased the rights to show the FOTA Championship?

I prefer the BBC, but you can see them sat in their meetings desperately wanting to cash in on this, I'm sure just to rub the BBC's face in it.

However their coverage will never be as good.

I just hope we don't have Sky buying the rights, making 75% or so of us miss out.

Mark
19th June 2009, 12:42
ITV has about as much money as a church mouse that's just had an enormous tax bill on the very day his wife ran off with another mouse, taking all the cheese.

woody2goody
19th June 2009, 12:51
:D

ioan
19th June 2009, 13:45
ITV has about as much money as a church mouse that's just had an enormous tax bill on the very day his wife ran off with another mouse, taking all the cheese.

Maybe RBS will lend them some in order to cover the huge CVC loss?! :D

Dave B
19th June 2009, 14:37
I'm sure I've seen that phrase used regarding that broadcaster before :p

It's not totally impossible though, if the new series were to offer an incentive to broadcasters.

Dave B
19th June 2009, 16:28
Ladbokes have made Sky 11/8 favourites to show any breakaway series, ahead of ITV on 9/4, BBC 11/4 and Five 6/1.

Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/a160910/sky-favourite-for-rebel-f1-tv-rights.html

No Setanta on that list, I wonder what the odds are on them being around next year? Or even next month...

BobGarage
19th June 2009, 19:08
No Setanta on that list, I wonder what the odds are on them being around next year? Or even next month...

setanta all but gone now. EPL auctioning off setantas games. All parties to submit their bids by Monday!

VkmSpouge
19th June 2009, 19:44
Ladbokes have made Sky 11/8 favourites to show any breakaway series, ahead of ITV on 9/4, BBC 11/4 and Five 6/1.

I really hope it would never end up on Sky, they are very expensive.

Nikki Katz
19th June 2009, 20:21
I hadn't even thought of that, it's bound to end up on Sky. If it happens.

yodasarmpit
19th June 2009, 20:27
I hadn't even thought of that, it's bound to end up on Sky. If it happens.

Easy solution, just get Sky :)

And yes, I do work for them.

jeffmr2
19th June 2009, 20:38
As long as they keep their nascar coverage then it would be great if sky got the rights,the more motorsport and less darts/golf/cricket the better.(without nascar tho theres just no real need for sky for me)

BobGarage
19th June 2009, 20:46
i hope sky get it and show it in HD.

for f**k sake. I got HD this year hoping the BBC would put F1 on their HD channel. But alas no... :(

Sonic
19th June 2009, 20:58
People. If Sky do get this top flight motorsport is dead! F1 (or whatever its gonna be called) can't survive without its fans and aside from us lot on Forums etc. there just aren't enough people who would be willing to pay for the right to watch. Isn't that why Setanta has gone to the wall - there just ain't enough people who want to pay to watch Blue Square matches!

Mr Peppermill
19th June 2009, 20:59
I would prefer Eurosport.

driveace
19th June 2009, 21:06
Hopefully Sky do not get any breakaway series as with the current recession lots of Sky viewers are not renewing their contracts or are cancelling them.As one guy says thats why Setanta are bust,offering too much to buy programmes and people are cutting back on their spending ,therefor cancelling their viewing contracts or not paying to watch programmes

ioan
19th June 2009, 23:42

FOTA said it will be on free to air televisions, so don't worry.

They want (and ofcourse they need) to make the sport more accessible to the fans and also average viewers, so they will only go with free to air broadcasters, and IMO they might also give it for free for the first season in order to get the deals done as fast as possible.

emporer_k
19th June 2009, 23:55
SKY have Premiership football on a sunday afternoon so F1/the breakaway series wouldn't be their top priority, added to the fact not everybody has it then even if they offered more money the series should give the broadcasting rights to a free to air channel.

woody2goody
20th June 2009, 01:54

Twice as much as Setanta when you add on line rental with BT. I have Setanta and it's good value. However I always work on Saturday afternoon when they show their prem football.

I wonder what will happen to Setanta's customers? Will we get refunds? I wonder if Sky do some kind of discount for disgruntled Setanta-ers.

yodasarmpit
20th June 2009, 01:55
I wonder what will happen to Setanta's customers? Will we get refunds? I wonder if Sky do some kind of discount for disgruntled Setanta-ers.
Why?
Sky have nothing to do with Setanta.

Dave B
20th June 2009, 07:55
FOTA said it will be on free to air televisions, so don't worry.

They want (and ofcourse they need) to make the sport more accessible to the fans and also average viewers, so they will only go with free to air broadcasters, and IMO they might also give it for free for the first season in order to get the deals done as fast as possible.
"IMO"? Is that what you think? After I posted (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=649940&postcount=66) almost exactly the same thing in response to your crackpot idea about online-only coverage being acceptable?

Do try and have some ideas of your own, Baldrick, thinking is so important. :p

race_director
20th June 2009, 08:02
Doesn't free to air means's that anyone can pick the signal and broadcast with not formal agreement in place? like MOTO GP shown in 4 channels now days at same time

and why worry about sky u can anyway watch all session including practice on the net throughout the the year for lest than 15$

or set up your own dish and recieve the signal directly From the organizer. :)

Dave B
20th June 2009, 08:10
Doesn't free to air means's that anyone can pick the signal and broadcast with not formal agreement in place? like MOTO GP shown in 4 channels now days at same time

and why worry about sky u can anyway watch all session including practice on the net throughout the the year for lest than 15$

or set up your own dish and recieve the signal directly From the organizer. :)

FTA means that, like the BBC or ITV in the UK, there are no subscription costs or scrambling involved in viewing. However, re-broadcasting that signal is still unlawful. That's not so say it doesn't happen, but with >99% coverage and decent catch-up services there's no incentive for anybody to do so... at least not within the UK.

I don't know about Sky in your neck of the woods, but here the cheapest sub to Sky Sports is more than that per month, let alone for a year. And that's only for SD.

It could be just about feasable for the series to set up its own channel - many of the Premier League clubs do this but they have the luxuries of big funding, a huge existing fanbase, and plenty of archive material.

It's far far more likely that Breakaway1 would offer its wares to an existing terrestrial channel such as ITV or five for either a nominal sum or actually pay them to broadcast it.

wmcot
20th June 2009, 08:18
If FOTA are wise, they'll offer it Free-to-air. That will give them the biggest exposure for their sponsors. In the US, all but 4 races (or so) a year are on Speed. I don't subscribe to Speed because I'm not going to pay a big monthly bill for a channel that is about 85% NASCAR! I have a friend tape the races or I get them some other "magic" ;) way!