PDA

View Full Version : Which do you think will be the best for Motor Racing ?

Knock-on
19th June 2009, 11:14
Poll please Pino.

a. F1 in it's current guise

b. FOTA breakaway Series

ps. Please adjust the title to include the word "think". I had a bit of brain fade :D

Mark
19th June 2009, 11:28
Poll please Pino.

a. F1 in it's current guise

b. FOTA breakaway Series

ps. Please adjust the title to include the word "think". I had a bit of brain fade :D

I think the best thing would be a breakaway series, but.. one which is sactioned, if not controlled by the FIA. Is called 'Formula 1' and cruically there is no competing series!

pino
19th June 2009, 11:31
Poll added, and I've voted for FOTA breakway Series offcourse :p :

AndyL
19th June 2009, 12:01
I don't think this poll is comparing like with like. I'm sure everyone would prefer it if no-one makes things worse. But the FOTA breakaway is not an alternative to "F1 in its current guise". It's an alternative to dumbed-down, budget-capped F1.
I think I'd actually prefer the F1 of the 1970s, but that's not an option either is it...

Knock-on
19th June 2009, 14:11
8 votes and 100% for a breakaway.

There is a small chance that the teams will have to see through their plans of a breakaway but this straw poll should give them more confidence.

Blancvino
19th June 2009, 14:29
I vote - Work it out boys and girls. A split will be a cluster f***!

The benevolent grandson of the great Tony Hulman and his "vision" is prime fodder that it will be a total disaster.

555-04Q2
19th June 2009, 14:32
I stick with the current system, just improve the racing and the boys in the hot seats of F1 must grow up and come up with solutions.

If the rest of the world carried on the way they do, we would get nothing done.

UltimateDanGTR
19th June 2009, 19:37
FOTA superteam breakaway championship superdeluxe championship cup series of the world super-X Formula or whatever it will be called will be much better driver skill, teams etc

however the racing will be better to watch in F1 because the drivers wont be as good which means more mistakes which means more overtaking and more crashes, funny incidents and shannanigans hopefully.

give it a few years and F1 will be gone anyway, although ill support both series.

tmx
19th June 2009, 20:13
Is this for motor racing as a whole or just the F1? What I wonder is if there is a split, how would it have repercussion effect on motorsport as awhile other FIA owned series, and creating a depature trend.

Big Ben
19th June 2009, 20:46
I think another good option would be: Max and Bernie drop dead.

Sonic
19th June 2009, 21:04
I voted for current guise.

I have voiced my opinion several times that the FIA as the gouverning body have the right to do whatever they want to do. For right or wrong.

I have also said we need a new President, as Max is clearly wrong on this. But with better leadership (Jean Todt, J Stewart would be my suggestions) the FIA can/should still guide F1.

ClarkFan
20th June 2009, 05:19
I don't think this poll is comparing like with like. I'm sure everyone would prefer it if no-one makes things worse. But the FOTA breakaway is not an alternative to "F1 in its current guise". It's an alternative to dumbed-down, budget-capped F1.
I think I'd actually prefer the F1 of the 1970s, but that's not an option either is it...

That it my view, too (including the 1970's part :) ). The choices should be 1) Current F1, 2) Mosley's budget special, 3) FOTA, and 4) something else.

I'd vote for 4.

ClarkFan

Valve Bounce
20th June 2009, 06:17
Neither. I see a compromise coming up where F1 will continue with significant modifications to how it is run.

fan-veteran
20th June 2009, 06:30
So guys ... maybe the time has come to unite Formula one and Indycar ????? Seriously?

Nikey
20th June 2009, 06:40
Neither. I see a compromise coming up where F1 will continue with significant modifications to how it is run.

I hope you're right. But since Mosley still thinks FOTA is bluffing I fear this just gets worse. Once they start going in court there's no return to the way it used to be.

And to answer to the topic. Neither will be the best. FIA series loses a lot of starpower as well as mass and FOTA series is kind of like one of those new teams. We have no idea how it's going to turn out. Besides there's bound to be a lot of arguments without an authority figure who keeps it all together (like a lot better version of Bernie and Max).

And since FIA still doesn't seem to know what they want to do with WRC next season will be awful for motorsport fans. Well, there's always IRC and motoGP...

Roamy
20th June 2009, 07:44
i will vote with eu

UltimateDanGTR
20th June 2009, 07:51

yes, maybe we should all transport back to the 70s and forget about the future and just live there? great idea!

UltimateDanGTR
20th June 2009, 07:59
So guys ... maybe the time has come to unite Formula one and Indycar ????? Seriously?

this really got me thinking. I wouldn't want it obviously, the two things are totally different in their own right. BUT, I wouldn't put it past Max for trying if the new FOTA series would happen. both series are struggling (well F1 would be if fota create their new series) and so that would be all that mattered to max, never mind about their different history, different way of doing it etc. but thankfully I think the americans will have too much sense for Max.

Knock-on
20th June 2009, 13:52
So, about 80% of people are behind a split which was what was claimed on the BBC today

jens
20th June 2009, 14:53
Considering that it's almost impossible or at least extremely difficult to get rid of Max and Bernie in their current position and that negotiating or doing deals with them is quite useless as well, then the only option for changes with a view to a more fruitful future is to simply not deal with them at all and leave. Hence FOTA is the best option for the motorsport as a whole. Funny thing is that in rallying IRC is starting to threaten FIA's WRC in terms of popularity. And maybe dissatisfied WTCC manufacturers would leave as well. FIA won't reform or cease existing in current structure before everyone has abandoned them as changes can't be implemented in democratical way.

cynisca
20th June 2009, 15:47
I have voted for the FOTA breakaway series because from that what I read/heard they have some good arguments to run this series. The Formula One with just 5 teams, from my knowledge, is just weird. I mean a title battle with Manor GP, Williams, Force India and so on... :rolleyes:

Mark in Oshawa
20th June 2009, 21:14
I didn't vote on this poll because a revised, sane f1 would be the best option, but between FOTA, Bernie and Max; it aint happening.

F1boat
20th June 2009, 22:42
Incorrect question. Breakaway may not be better by what we have today, but is better than the abomination Max wants.

N. Jones
21st June 2009, 02:06
I don't really care either way - one series, two series, doesn't matter to me, even if I have to run two versions of FGP!

call_me_andrew
21st June 2009, 05:18
I'd be all for a breakaway as long as everyone gets a slice of humble pie and reunifies in 5 years.

There are more doom and gloom threads here than the IndyCar forum!

wmcot
21st June 2009, 08:12
If the choice is between Max and Bernie's F1 and the FOTA teams, I vote for FOTA. It's true that F1 has a long heritage, but F1 according to Max and Bernie's rules is NOT F1 anymore!

If the FIA was a corporation and the president (or dictator in this case) had embarrassed the sport by being caught participating in sado-masochism and now going around calling the leaders of the teams that provide his income "loonies" then he would have been asked to resign long ago.

Max has been trying to force the manufacturers out for years with his constant rule changes which force a complete redesign each year at great expense and then calling for cost reduction. It seems that one major cost reduction would be to get rid of Max and let there be a continuity in the rules for 5 to 10 years. Even the new and poorer teams could catch up that way.