PDA

View Full Version : Graham or Marco?

SarahFan
18th June 2009, 20:37
who is more more talented?

who will win more races over the coarse of there career?

who will likely win a championship?

who will win a 500(s)?

garyshell
18th June 2009, 20:55
Oh puhleze, you can't possibly be serious in this question. Graham has more talent in his pinky finger than Marco ever will.

Gary

SarahFan
18th June 2009, 21:08
Oh puhleze, you can't possibly be serious in this question. Graham has more talent in his pinky finger than Marco ever will.

Gary

no IMO gary

drewdawg727
18th June 2009, 21:54

Gary

I'd have to agree...if Marco has a revelation and his eyes open like Danica's did this year, that might change.

SarahFan
18th June 2009, 22:14
I'd have to agree...if Marco has a revelation and his eyes open like Danica's did this year, that might change.

lets not forget marco came less than foorball field from winning indy....Graham a couple of DNF's

drewdawg727
18th June 2009, 22:41
lets not forget marco came less than foorball field from winning indy....Graham a couple of DNF's

I don't base that off his talent, I base that off of fuel conservation/planning.

SUBARUTEAM
18th June 2009, 22:53
Graham, then daylight, then Marco.

Alexamateo
18th June 2009, 23:14
Marco is fast, but wild, if he ever settles down, he'll be a force to reckon with. I don't know what's happening lately on road courses with Marco but he should be better.

At Texas, Marco was the only one trying to stake out the second groove, and he was making passes. I would have liked to see it through the end with no yellows. That said, Graham may win more races because he is a little smoother, but Marco is good at Indy. Like Danica, the it's actually his best track.

FWIW, I picked Marco to come in third behind the Ganassi cars in this weeks pickems, but i'd really like him to win. Foyt IV finished 5th last year trying to run the high groove, so if Marco can run the high groove and use it to pass, he should threaten for the win.

That is, if he doesn't crash himself out. :p :

harvick#1
18th June 2009, 23:23
Graham, then daylight, then Marco.

:lol: I'll have to agree, and Graham is also getting much better at Oval racing also in a team that is not the big 3. although it is just a matter of time before NHL racing is a force in the IRL, if it still exists

Jag_Warrior
18th June 2009, 23:32
Good questions. They do have very different driving styles. These two sort of remind me of Michael and Al, Jr. back in the day. While Mikey had more of the banzai style, Al, Jr. was usually much smoother.

As far as raw talent, at this stage I'd have to give the nod to Graham.

Who will win more races? I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but which one has the most wins to date... including lower formulas? It would be a WAG. I dunno. I like Graham more, so I'll say he will.

Championships? Here, I'll definitely go with Graham. Like Al, Jr., I believe his style will eventually lend itself better to winning a championship. Michael could win the race, but if he didn't, he'd crash trying. Al would take the points. With all the wins he had, Michael was only able to win one championship in CART - Al, Jr. won two, plus three more championships in IROC and CanAm. Once he gets his head out of his azz, I could see Marco winning many a race. But he seems to lack the patience and smarts necessary to win championships.

500? I guess we're just down to one now, so it must be Indy you mean. I dunno. Whichever one has the most luck. So that rules Marco out... unless he changes his last name. :p

jackmart
19th June 2009, 00:50
Graham for sure but I am a little biased, well a lot maybe. I didn't care much for graham last year bc when I started watching he wasn't doing that well in pts. so Danica was my fave. After watching this year and meeting him, he is my favorite. He still has a lot to learn but has made serious improvements from last year. Plus he is a buckeye and a huge Ohio State fans. :) Marco is a big name in a good car and is ok.

Why did grahams car fail at texas? If it worked in practice then how can it just bottom out like that in the race. What broke or was the probelm? ANyone know?

chuck34
19th June 2009, 01:07
I have to go with Rahal on this one. They probably both have the same amount of raw talent. But Graham has the patients and willingness to learn. Marco has the same attitude as his dad (and to some extent his grandpa). It's something to the effect of "Don't you know who I am? You better get the hell out of my way. And if you don't it will be 100% YOUR fault we crashed. Plus, I'll tell that FACT to anyone with a mic or pen. So watch your mirrors for me." That attitude might win you a few races here and there, but never Indy or a championship.

Chris R
19th June 2009, 02:23
Rahal - Andretti might put in some impressive drives - but he is far from a complete driver.... that might change - but I doubt it.....

I think the Unser Jr. Mikey comparison is probably reasonable.....

MDS
19th June 2009, 02:49
Graham gets his second win before Marco gets his.

Alexamateo
19th June 2009, 03:04

Who will win more races? I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but which one has the most wins to date... including lower formulas? It would be a WAG. I dunno. I like Graham more, so I'll say he will.

Heck, if that's the criteria, Raphael Matos is going to destroy both of 'em! :eek: :p : ;)

Jag_Warrior
19th June 2009, 03:14
Heck, if that's the criteria, Raphael Matos is going to destroy both of 'em! :eek: :p : ;)

I think he might. Since they're closer to the same age, I'd probably compare Matos to Danica. And if I had to pick one driver out of those four (Matos, Danica, Graham or Marco), I'd go with Matos without blinking.

Mark in Oshawa
19th June 2009, 04:18

Graham has won a race. Other than that one day at Indy when Hornish nipped him at the line, I haven't seen much from Marco.

Graham, but it is too early to flush Marco down the tubes yet. The genepool DNA for racing kinda dictates this aint over yet.

Lemmy-Boy
19th June 2009, 11:48
It seems like Graham is being prepped for F1. I wouldn't mind seeing him taking a seat at USF1. He presents himself well and maximizes the equipment given to him, a lot better than Marco.

Like his Father, Marco (with his current attitude and driving performance) will not last long in modern day F1.

beachbum
19th June 2009, 11:52
When Graham showed up in CC, I was not impressed. But he has improved and continues to improve. He has matured quickly and seems to have a good attitude and a strong desire to do well. Marco may have more raw talent, but hasn't improved. He still gives the impression that he would rather be somewhere else, like chasing Playmates.

Graham is now the better driver and will continue to get better. Marco is still a question mark.

DanicaFan
19th June 2009, 12:09
Im going with Marco. Graham can qualify well and practice well but he has a hard time putting together a good race, especially on the oval, several DNF's.

beachbum
19th June 2009, 12:13
Im going with Marco. Graham can qualify well and practice well but he has a hard time putting together a good race, especially on the oval, several DNF's.Ah, Marco's record is pretty dismal in that category as well. There is a reason some forums refer to him as "parco". How many times has he parked a car because of "handling"? Many.

TURN3
19th June 2009, 14:21
Ah, Marco's record is pretty dismal in that category as well. There is a reason some forums refer to him as "parco". How many times has he parked a car because of "handling"? Many.

Yeah. Sort of funny seeing who puts that opinion up huh? Is there every any logic behind such posts? Marco's enitire career has been on ovals w/ the big 3. Graham has 1 year under his belt with a team that didn't even compete the 1st race because of a lack of proper prep time. Considering each of their oval records, sort of hard to call out Graham's DNF's when compared to Marco's. Yes, Graham practices well and qualifies well on the ovals, Marco doesn't...and neither finish well to this point on a regular basis. Then there are those courses that actually require skill...Marco is only slightly better than the Danica there so that puts him back of pack.

Hands down Graham.

garyshell
19th June 2009, 18:52
Im going with Marco. Graham can qualify well and practice well but he has a hard time putting together a good race, especially on the oval, several DNF's.

Of those DNF's exactly how many lay at Graham's feet?

Gary

chuck34
19th June 2009, 20:58

Gary

At least the two at Indy. But probably the same could be said for Marco. I'd call that argument a wash.

garyshell
19th June 2009, 21:34

Gary

At least the two at Indy. But probably the same could be said for Marco. I'd call that argument a wash.

Well maybe the argument for DNF's at Indy, but what about the others? I am curious, over the past two years how many DNF's have each of them had, and how many are of their own doing?

Gary

SUBARUTEAM
19th June 2009, 21:44
Marco's only win was a jack up by his team mates, he won on fuel strategy and his team mate Bryan Herta taking one for the team.

he has shown that he is quick on the road courses - but so is 1/2 the field.

I'd rate Matos ahead of Marco - watch out for him once he gets a season ot two under his belt.

Jag_Warrior
20th June 2009, 00:59
I'd rate Matos ahead of Marco - watch out for him once he gets a season ot two under his belt.

I agree! Matos is THE driver that's caused me to keep up with the IRL. The banter about Danica and the 19 Dwarfs is just for S&G's. Matos isn't exactly a youngster, but this guy is VERY talented and he most certainly knows how to win (without help). And I do believe that Luczo-Dragon is going to be a power team sooner than later. They've got money and they've got connections.

If Matos sticks with these guys, I see him going far. But if he starts clicking before the team does, I think one of the big boys will pick him up and have an instant winner.

DanicaFan
20th June 2009, 02:58
Off the topic a bit but the guy that is impressing me more than Matos is Mario Moraes. This guy is quick on the ovals.

peasant
20th June 2009, 03:45
I'd rate marco pretty equal on talent with Rahal, but no where near on anything else. Maybe one day he'll grow up, and it'll all change - but I'm not holding my breath.

When you are comparing Matos and Danica being the same age, you might want to chuck in Briscoe and Dixon in your comparison, because they are all within about a year of the same age. Which puts it all in perspective somewhat.

TIS31
20th June 2009, 13:50
Rahal all th eway. I agree that i think we'll see him get his second win before Marco. At this point, now in his fourth season in the IRL, Marco is a veteran of the series and should be much further along in his performances.

indyracefan
21st June 2009, 04:02
All things considered to this point, it points towards Rahal.

FIAT1
22nd June 2009, 14:21
AGR has best of Honda and dad and kid can't muster nothing out of it. Rahal with team new to irl and scrap car is doing ok. Hmm, Im going with Rahal as better.

Marbles
24th June 2009, 17:24
If I was starting out a team it would have to be Rahal without a doubt. Andretti hopping out of "undriveable" cars would be forever in the back of my mind when the performance wasn't there.

Rahal strikes me as a solid and maturing driver with only an upside.