PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Ocean race

Magnus
18th June 2009, 07:34
So, now the circus has left Marstrand. Before the event the were a lot of talking about whether or not Marstarnd would be able to cope with the numbers of people visiting. As it turned out, the extremely bad wheather for wed-fri calmed everything down alot. I must say I felt bad for everyone who had put an effort into making something special out of the stop, and then it was all destroyed by the pouring rain.

I was quite happy with the bad wheather though, since my new pontoon hasnīt arrived yet, we have a little to low capacity to cope with many boats. We simply do not have reservoirs or pumps to serve them all...

The boats came to Marstrand early on thursday. It was a rather bad night for me, as I was awakened three times by calls from people who desperately wanted fuel so they could go out and meet the boats. Amongst them was the coastal guard, maybe I can have one speeding ticket for free nest time... :)

Saturday and sunday was far better, and during sunday we put all time high record /from 44 years), and we had a line to the pumps most of the day. The boats left Marstrand at 01:00 pm. Unfortunately Telefoncia Blue ran aground just outside marstarnd, so it had to limp back inte the harbour, and was hoisted out of the water just opposite our place. It was a nice view, even tjou you couldnt help feeling very bad for tham.

Yesterday afternoon they were done with the repairments, and could continue their trip up to Stockholm, and the final leg to St Petersburg.

Over and out

anthonyvop
19th June 2009, 02:38
The VOR is one of my all-time favorite events. The Yachts are amazing.

gloomyDAY
19th June 2009, 03:20
PBS has the Volvo Ocean Race broadcasts on American television.

The reporting is sparse but you have to have some big cajones to be on those yachts. I hope you guys like some of these pictures from the race.....

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/05/the_volvo_ocean_race.html

leopard
19th June 2009, 09:58
Thanks for sharing, I hope someday you will get the reward for being nice of helping those need fuel.

What browser are you using Manus?

anthonyvop
19th June 2009, 22:58
Congrats to Torben.
One leg to go but the win is all wrapped up.