PDA

View Full Version : How feasible is a breakaway series?

Lennat
16th June 2009, 13:49
I'm actually starting to belive that there might be som truth to the talk about a new series. So, if we imagined that it would happen, could they (the teams) get it all sorted out for next year? Which tracks could they race on for example, any of the current F1 ones? Could they pretty much stick to the current F1 regulations without any legal action being taken by the FIA for example? I have a hard time imagining they could get it together, but who knows... :confused:

Knock-on
16th June 2009, 13:53
It's an interesting proposition.

They have to be sanctioned by the FIA for sporting and safety regulations but technically they can write their own regulations. However, these would still have to be ratified for safety purposes by the FIA and we all know how fair, even handed and unbiased Max is when his nose is out of joint ;)

Similar with the tracks as these need to be FIA approved.

K-Pu
16th June 2009, 14:04
The problem I see is that the FOTA is as bad, and rotten, and whatever you want as the FIA.

That means they won´t reach an agreement, because both of them want to be in total control of what they do. So who´s more fair, even handed and unbiased?

I want to believe (like Mulder) there´s a solution for this trouble. They could reach an agreement, but they´re so... rrragh! that even if the FOTA start their own series, the FIA (Max) will be there to make it even more difficult.

Why?

Because if you have power, you do whatever you want. And that´s the problem, FIA wants power, FOTA wants power. No-one wants the best for F1 or the breakaway series, which I hope they don´t set up.

Tazio
16th June 2009, 14:36
I think it will be much easier than most people think.
Legitimacy is a concept that sports fans really embrace.
In this case FOTA will have the high ground as they want
F1 to be what the fans want it to be, elite, not homogenized.
Not Spec. The sport is dying a slow painful death right now.
I say "go for the gusto" Win, or die trying!
By the Almighty

race_director
16th June 2009, 14:46
Bernie has made is clear that he will not all present tracks who have contracts with him, to allow the other series to race on it .

The second thing is that in order to run a series of this magnitude, tracks have to re designed or fully constructed again, in view with the safety aspect, which cannot be done overnight, will take atleast one year time.

However the series still if want to come up next year, then they can always race at the tracks, which were earlier part of f1 till few years back, like silverstone next year. san marino, indy speedway, austria, hockenhiem, argentina. Suzuka , the other track in china etc. The tracks are ready and just need to be re painted

The series can start with 10-12 races next year and extent to 18-19 in the comming years.

if the break away series starts, we would have say good bye to great tracks like, spa, sepang, signapore. monaco. and it will be a big loss to asia, since asia does not have any other ready tracks to race on.

Valve Bounce
16th June 2009, 14:53
If the current FOTA reams all stick together, and the best drivers are signed up with them, it will be feasible, albeit minus a couple of teams like Williams and whoever else wants to stick with Max. A couple of new teams, with the assistance of manufacturers as far as engines will be able to join FOTA. With the world's best drivers, they will get the television coverage that F1 now enjoys, and more money will be channeled back into the teams.

Max's series will then become a joke, because it will be thoroughly dominated by a couple of teams, with the new teams trailing far, far behind. It will also lose television viewers and the fall in ratings will turn it into a minor series. They will only have drivers who are not required by FOTA.

Blancvino
16th June 2009, 14:55
I think it will be much easier than most people think.
Legitimacy is a concept that sports fans really embrace.
In this case FOTA will have the high ground as they want
F1 to be what the fans want it to be, elite, not homogenized.
Not Spec. The sport is dying a slow painful death right now.
I say "go for the gusto" Win, or die trying!
By the Almighty

SPEC series? How do drew that conclusion? The problem as I see it is, getting tracks lined up, TV rights, appeasing sponsors, and all by next year? Sounds daunting to me.

I'm afraid if this does not come to an end REAL soon, F1 is doomed to the fate of American open wheel racing, the crapper.

My two cents added to the penny jar.

Valve Bounce
16th June 2009, 14:58
Bernie has made is clear that he will not all present tracks who have contracts with him, to allow the other series to race on it .

The second thing is that in order to run a series of this magnitude, tracks have to re designed or fully constructed again, in view with the safety aspect, which cannot be done overnight, will take atleast one year time.

However the series still if want to come up next year, then they can always race at the tracks, which were earlier part of f1 till few years back, like silverstone next year. san marino, indy speedway, austria, hockenhiem, argentina. Suzuka , the other track in china etc. The tracks are ready and just need to be re painted

The series can start with 10-12 races next year and extent to 18-19 in the comming years.

if the break away series starts, we would have say good bye to great tracks like, spa, sepang, signapore. monaco. and it will be a big loss to asia, since asia does not have any other ready tracks to race on.

Spa, Singapore, Monaco and Albert Park are public roads, and if they want to race on these roads, it will be up to the local governments, not Bernie to approve.

ShiftingGears
16th June 2009, 15:05
Spa, Singapore, Monaco and Albert Park are public roads, and if they want to race on these roads, it will be up to the local governments, not Bernie to approve.

Spa isn't public roads anymore. It was bought out in the early '00s.

ArrowsFA1
16th June 2009, 15:09
The problem as I see it is, getting tracks lined up, TV rights, appeasing sponsors, and all by next year? Sounds daunting to me.
Who knows...Bernie may side with FOTA :eek: :crazy:

Blancvino
16th June 2009, 15:11
Who knows...Bernie may side with FOTA :eek: :crazy:

Interesting twist ...

I am evil Homer
16th June 2009, 15:15
Indeed...he'll follow the money, it's what he does!

race_director
16th June 2009, 15:21
Indeed...he'll follow the money, it's what he does!

He has already stated that he is ready to deal with the series if they come out. Bernie is a business man. he is not in FIA . so he will go everywhere he see money

AndyL
16th June 2009, 17:00

Regardless of who Bernie sides with, would he really have a contractual veto over all other events at those tracks? Seems unlikely to me. Do the MG car club or the 750 motor club have to seek Bernie's approval before they can run at Silverstone? Surely not.

ioan
16th June 2009, 17:15
It's an interesting proposition.

They have to be sanctioned by the FIA for sporting and safety regulations but technically they can write their own regulations. However, these would still have to be ratified for safety purposes by the FIA and we all know how fair, even handed and unbiased Max is when his nose is out of joint ;)

Similar with the tracks as these need to be FIA approved.

That is not true.
Just because the FIA says that it should be like that it doesn't mean that it's how it is.

Who is going to stop them running a non-FIA sanctioned race series?!

Knock-on
16th June 2009, 17:17
I think Bernie can decide to Veto venues if they hold a rival series but seeing as the rival series may consist of McLaren, Ferrari, Renault etc, he might be more worried about holding onto these venues for F1.

Whatever happens, I can't see circuits lining up to be blackmailed by FOM any more :D

Dave B
16th June 2009, 17:17
That is not true.
Just because the FIA says that it should be like that it doesn't mean that it's how it is.

Good luck getting insurance cover for a public event which the governing body refuses to sanction. That alone would cripple the chances.

ioan
16th June 2009, 17:20

I think Bernie can decide to Veto venues if they hold a rival series but seeing as the rival series may consist of McLaren, Ferrari, Renault etc, he might be more worried about holding onto these venues for F1.

Whatever happens, I can't see circuits lining up to be blackmailed by FOM any more :D

Well he might say what he wants.
Maybe he forgot that all the European tracks are allowed to host any races they want, because the EU laws. In fact a couple of years ago the EU Commission did force Bernie to write to all European tracks that they are allowed to host any race series they want.

ioan
16th June 2009, 17:23
Good luck getting insurance cover for a public event which the governing body refuses to sanction. That alone would cripple the chances.

What if the ADAC sanctions it? Or the ACF? Or OEAMTC? Or the ACI?
Any of the national entities can sanction it.

Lennat
16th June 2009, 17:25
Well he might say what he wants.
Maybe he forgot that all the European tracks are allowed to host any races they want, because the EU laws. In fact a couple of years ago the EU Commission did force Bernie to write to all European tracks that they are allowed to host any race series they want.

Nice to hear, IF the breakaway is a fact...

But what I don't understand, how much authority does the FIA have over what track owners wan't to do on their tracks? Is it illegal to race without FIA approval or what?

ioan
16th June 2009, 17:28
So, the FOTA can run a breakaway series on any EU, NA and African track without any troubles.

They will probably go with the same technical and sporting regulations they have now in order to keep costs down.

They already contacted the MotoGP promoters to do job for them if needed.
A1GP offered to share the tracks and logistics (transportation and broadcasting) with them.

Looks to me that it can be done if it comes to that.

F1boat
16th June 2009, 17:43
I hope that they will go to Le Mans, at least Ferrari. Than sportscar racing will become even more glorious.

ioan
16th June 2009, 17:48
I hope that they will go to Le Mans, at least Ferrari. Than sportscar racing will become even more glorious.

I think that Le Mans would hugely profit from he F1 manufacturers racing there. The last week's race at Le Mans turned out a bit of a bore fest, with little on track fighting and a couple of huge shunts that I don't like to see.

shazbot
16th June 2009, 17:50
So what would we call this break away series?

driveace
16th June 2009, 19:17
Formule Uno

ioan
16th June 2009, 20:57

Grand Prix World Series!

AndyRAC
16th June 2009, 22:03
Hell, this is getting way out of hand - and it needn't be like this. Haven't they seen the mess left over from the CART/Indycar split?

Personally, I'd like to see a few of the teams/Manufacturers go to LMS/ALMS.

Tazio
16th June 2009, 23:21
Hell, this is getting way out of hand - and it needn't be like this. Haven't they seen the mess left over from the CART/Indycar split?
There was a bit of a mess left over after the French Revolution.
However it was the begginning of real equity for the "Citizens" citizen!
And I'm referring to all Europe. "It's a far better thing (we) do than we have ever done before"
Dickens, ya know, bloke's.
Off with their Heads!

CNR
16th June 2009, 23:22

formula tothemax
formula nomax
formula max

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76255
Massa: New series may be best choice

Felipe Massa believes that maybe now is the time to start a breakaway championship, since there appears to be unity among teams about plans for the future.
The eight members of the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) have been given until Friday to drop the conditions attached to their 2010 entries or risk being left off the grid entirely.
And with talks between the FIA and FOTA about finding a solution appearing to have collapsed, it is looking increasingly unlikely that a deal will be reached in the next few days.
Massa has admitted that the situation is now of growing concern to him, as it will affect his future, but suggests that the time may well be ripe for teams to go off and do their own thing.
"The situation looks bad at the moment, but if agreement can be reached then it can have a healthy future," Massa told Ferrari's official website.
"If not, then we need to look seriously at what is the best option: as the teams appear to be united, then maybe it is time to look at doing something different that could be better for the sport."

CNR
16th June 2009, 23:32
media stuff up

There is also the possibility of using the framework of another series to make FOTA's vision a reality. Renault's Flavio Briatore recently announced the formation of GP3, a series intended to run a rung below his popular GP2 series

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/200284-back-to-the-future-why-f1-will-survive-a-fota-exodus

Oli_M
16th June 2009, 23:42
The way I see it, is the worst situation for a track would be, they agree to hold a breakaway race, then the FIA does not hold any more events at that circuit (as far as I can see, those would be the only races they have any say over to that extent).

The current FIA series are (circuit based);
Formula One
World Touring Car
FIA GT Championship
FIA GT3 Championship
Formula Two

I imagine the second largest behind F1 are the combined WTCC/F2 events. So a circuit basically has to weight up whether the combined income (ie attendance, media support, sponsorship) from F1 plus WTCC/F2 would be greater than the breakaway series. I cannot imagine WTCC events attract even one tenth the 'income' of current F1.....

Nikki Katz
17th June 2009, 00:22
This is really starting to look serious for F1. I'm sure that there could be some sort of breakaway series up and running by next year, even if it was a shorter calendar. I'm sure there would be a lot of problems with doing it, and car count may be an issue, but it must be possible. F1 should have enough entries to fill the grid, but most of the famous names will be gone, and presumably most of the drivers with them. This argument could very easily end most peoples' interest in F1 (though not necessarily move it to the new series, as with the CART split).

I think that Bernie must be incredibly worried. He also must be wishing that he got rid of Max when he had an opportunity last year!

VkmSpouge
17th June 2009, 00:35

Apparently no one in F1 is willing to learn from history. Still a couple of days left to find a proper compromise.

gerkebi
17th June 2009, 04:33
I think Le Mans is where they will end up, at least short term.

call_me_andrew
17th June 2009, 08:05
I think the smartest thing FOTA can do is to make like NASCAR: sanction their own races and buy/build their own tracks.

I vote for Formula A.

Dave B
17th June 2009, 08:41
I think the smartest thing FOTA can do is to make like NASCAR: sanction their own races and buy/build their own tracks.

The sport is supposed to be cutting costs and you want them to spend >16 x ~$100M on circuits? :eek:

leopard
17th June 2009, 08:54
Actually, the hardest thing of running new championship is how to socialize the sport more worldwide. The said new championship would never be world-famous if the races held only in Europe and few regions unused by F1.

They can start negotiating to host the race at tracks are currently not in tie with F1 or tracks open for public without having to ask approval directly from FIA. Yet, if the sport compressing big teams like Ferrari, McLaren, or Renault, I think the sport will not be too difficult to become worldwide.

Lemmy-Boy
17th June 2009, 08:54

I have the perfect name!
http://www.thetechden.com/wp-content/uploads/cart_f1_funny1.jpg

leopard
17th June 2009, 09:03
Unluckily SpeedCar already taken.

Sorry, CART is a strong reminder of Carting, a dog sport. Fernando will not be happy to hold degree being champion of the sport ...

ioan
17th June 2009, 09:21
The way I see it, is the worst situation for a track would be, they agree to hold a breakaway race, then the FIA does not hold any more events at that circuit (as far as I can see, those would be the only races they have any say over to that extent).

The current FIA series are (circuit based);
Formula One
World Touring Car
FIA GT Championship
FIA GT3 Championship
Formula Two

I imagine the second largest behind F1 are the combined WTCC/F2 events. So a circuit basically has to weight up whether the combined income (ie attendance, media support, sponsorship) from F1 plus WTCC/F2 would be greater than the breakaway series. I cannot imagine WTCC events attract even one tenth the 'income' of current F1.....

News flash: given the huge sums that Bernie extorts for running f1 on these circuits the circuits do not make any profit out of F1, they usually have huge losses and the governments have to pay for them to stay alive.

ioan
17th June 2009, 09:24
The sport is supposed to be cutting costs and you want them to spend >16 x ~$100M on circuits? :eek:

No need to spend money, most of the manufacturers have their own circuits, Ferrari even has 2 of them.

Dave B
17th June 2009, 09:39
No need to spend money, most of the manufacturers have their own circuits, Ferrari even has 2 of them.
Both of which are wholly unsuitable for hosting a GP, assuming you want any spectators or pit facilities.

Suzuka and Fuji are owned by companies who have quit, or are on the verge of quitting, the sport.

Have I missed any?

Knock-on
17th June 2009, 10:51
That is not true.

Can you please STOP writing this rubbish.

You keep making the same claim and I keep pointing out where you are wrong.

The FIA members sign up to FIA governance for Motorsport. They sanction national series on behalf of the FIA and the FIA does international ones. THAT IS HOW IT IS!!

Just because you believe it shouldn't be like that, doesn't mean it will ever change.

The only way it will change is if members of the FIA leave. I think this might be a possibility the way things are going but until this happens, it's a moot point.

ioan
17th June 2009, 10:53
Can you please STOP writing this rubbish.

You keep making the same claim and I keep pointing out where you are wrong.

The FIA members sign up to FIA governance for Motorsport. They sanction national series on behalf of the FIA and the FIA does international ones. THAT IS HOW IT IS!!

Just because you believe it shouldn't be like that, doesn't mean it will ever change.

The only way it will change is if members of the FIA leave. I think this might be a possibility the way things are going but until this happens, it's a moot point.

You are pointing out what?
That the FIA says that they are the ONE and only!

You' welcome to believe that rubbish, I do not.

Knock-on
17th June 2009, 10:55
You are pointing out what?
That the FIA says that they are the ONE and only!

You' welcome to believe that rubbish, I do not.

<mutter>
Don't feed the Trolls.
Don't feed the Trolls.
Don't feed the Trolls.
Don't feed the Trolls.
</mutter>

ioan
17th June 2009, 12:04
<mutter>
Don't feed the Trolls.
Don't feed the Trolls.
Don't feed the Trolls.
Don't feed the Trolls.
</mutter>

Very intelligent, NOT.

Lemmy-Boy
17th June 2009, 19:55

Like the old saying goes, "there's no such thing as a free lunch".

Yes, if money grows on trees, every race promoted by FOTA will be free. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Even though certain manufacturers own their own circuits, it doesn't mean there's little cost incurred. Whether you like it or not, it still costs a significant amount of money, time and resources to hold a race. And it's not CHEAP. There's numerous expenses to consider at any venue.

The main business for these Manufacturers is to sell cars (not to manage a racing series). And if you haven't heard already, many of these manufacturers have lost BILLIONS during the past year and many of them are currently in debt or being kept alive by government handouts (Renault).

Face reality. We're in a global recession. These manufacturers should put more resources into keeping their core businesses alive (selling cars) than propping up a race series that will cost hundreds of millions or billions to maintain.

ioan
17th June 2009, 20:26
Like the old saying goes, "there's no such thing as a free lunch".

Yes, if money grows on trees, every race promoted by FOTA will be free. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Even though certain manufacturers own their own circuits, it doesn't mean there's little cost incurred. Whether you like it or not, it still costs a significant amount of money, time and resources to hold a race. And it's not CHEAP. There's numerous expenses to consider at any venue.

The main business for these Manufacturers is to sell cars (not to manage a racing series). And if you haven't heard already, many of these manufacturers have lost BILLIONS during the past year and many of them are currently in debt or being kept alive by government handouts (Renault).

Face reality. We're in a global recession. These manufacturers should put more resources into keeping their core businesses alive (selling cars) than propping up a race series that will cost hundreds of millions or billions to maintain.

It is widely rumored that the FOTA did make a plan for a breakaway series and already talked to tracks and broadcasters.
It is said that tracks will get to hold races for as little as 40% of the fees asked by Bernie! Part of the deal would be to have lower ticket prices and allow students and other poorer social groups in for even less.

Same goes for the broadcasters who will have to pay less but the races will have to be on free to air senders.

Also, just FYI, the manufacturers use sponsor money to race in quite a big percentage (100% for Ferrari and BMW at least!).

anthonyvop
17th June 2009, 21:07
Not that it will ever happen but has anybody considered what would happen if you had a series run by the manufacturers?

Would they agree on anything?

the bro
17th June 2009, 21:11
Montreal could have an open weekend for a race.

VkmSpouge
17th June 2009, 22:32
Not that it will ever happen but has anybody considered what would happen if you had a series run by the manufacturers?

Would they agree on anything?

I have been thinking that the only time these teams are united is when they are facing the FIA, otherwise they happily tear into each other.

K-Pu
17th June 2009, 23:50
I have been thinking that the only time these teams are united is when they are facing the FIA, otherwise they happily tear into each other.

Exactly. They seek teir own profit, and if they have to stomp someone they´ll happily stomp, bite, hack and dance a conga over their remains.

That´s why the FOTA is so dangerous. They want profit and power, and someone has to be in charge. OK, maybe they are more democratic than Max, but there´s always someone avobe the rest, and the story starts again... What do you get if a leader arises from a group of power-hungry enterprises?

race_director
18th June 2009, 00:29
actually i have being thinking for he last couple of days. i have been watching F1 for last 15 years.
i do not actually care about the they name of the series they race in, more so i actually like the teams and driver i like watch

so i do not care wethere it is called F1 or Formula uno. i would like to watch ferrari, toyota , mclaren etc... racing in any series. driver's like alonso, lewis, massa, kimi, kubica, vettel,..........etc

rather than the GP3 teams like williams . force india, prodrive , lola... who want race with sole aim of just participating in the series, and has no motive of winning it.

I want real action, not a series which calls F1 and drives cars of 1980's with all the restriction. want to watch the race where driver's have balls to fight each other, rather than watch teams just happy to qualify into Q2 like farce INDIA

Valve Bounce
18th June 2009, 03:13
actually i have being thinking for he last couple of days. i have been watching F1 for last 15 years.
i do not actually care about the they name of the series they race in, more so i actually like the teams and driver i like watch

so i do not care wethere it is called F1 or Formula uno. i would like to watch ferrari, toyota , mclaren etc... racing in any series. driver's like alonso, lewis, massa, kimi, kubica, vettel,..........etc

rather than the GP3 teams like williams . force india, prodrive , lola... who want race with sole aim of just participating in the series, and has no motive of winning it.

I want real action, not a series which calls F1 and drives cars of 1980's with all the restriction. want to watch the race where driver's have balls to fight each other, rather than watch teams just happy to qualify into Q2 like farce INDIA

Actually, you might like to re-phrase that first sentence. :p :

But having said that, I do agree with your sentiments and have posted above concerning the drivers.

If FOTA does come up with a series next year, even if it is fewer races in number, the fact that they will keep most of the current F1 drivers will ultimately kill off any rival series. Just for argument sake, if Williams remains in Max's F1 with Rosberg as his driver, who will Rosberg be racing against? And when he wins all the races and becomes WDC, so what? he would have beaten a string of nobodies racing in tail end F1 cars or souped up GP2 cars.

However, the way I see it, in the end there will be a compromise with Bernie shaking his purse to deal out a bit more money to the teams, and the spending cap to be deferred for the time being. Max will still hold some sort of whip hand. :p : It will be a fair shake of the sauce bottle, fair dinkum.

Tazio
18th June 2009, 05:55
Actually, you might like to re-phrase that first sentence. :p :

But having said that, I do agree with your sentiments and have posted above concerning the drivers.

If FOTA does come up with a series next year, even if it is fewer races in number, the fact that they will keep most of the current F1 drivers will ultimately kill off any rival series. Just for argument sake, if Williams remains in Max's F1 with Rosberg as his driver, who will Rosberg be racing against? And when he wins all the races and becomes WDC, so what? he would have beaten a string of nobodies racing in tail end F1 cars or souped up GP2 cars.

However, the way I see it, in the end there will be a compromise with Bernie shaking his purse to deal out a bit more money to the teams, and the spending cap to be deferred for the time being. Max will still hold some sort of whip hand. :p : It will be a fair shake of the sauce bottle, fair dinkum.
Well stated old chum :up:

Lemmy-Boy
19th June 2009, 10:49
It is widely rumored that the FOTA did make a plan for a breakaway series and already talked to tracks and broadcasters.
It is said that tracks will get to hold races for as little as 40% of the fees asked by Bernie! Part of the deal would be to have lower ticket prices and allow students and other poorer social groups in for even less.

Same goes for the broadcasters who will have to pay less but the races will have to be on free to air senders.

Also, just FYI, the manufacturers use sponsor money to race in quite a big percentage (100% for Ferrari and BMW at least!).

Back in 1996, Tony George practically had the same excuse to start the IRL. He claimed the IRL would lower costs for everything, like lower broadcast fees, lower promotion fees, lower ticket prices, lower race budgets, bring more excitement and parity back into the sport, etc. And guess what? The Hullman-George family reportedly loss (spent) over $600 million to keep the IRL running against CART.

A split will only confuse and scare away the fans, make sponsorship money dry up for both series and water down the driver grids for both series.

And where did $600 million get the IRL 10+ years later, especially after reunification? Um...nowhere...
Now the main TV network for the IRL is a 2nd rate sports channel that also shows Rodeo's & 2nd rate MMA cards. A majority of the car field shows little or no sponsorship on their liveries. It's gotten to a point where the Hullman-George family wants to stop the bleeding by removing Tony George from his post at IMS (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-transition-coming-at-ims/).

Pay drivers are a now common sight in the IRL. Even worse, the face of the IRL is a raven haired woman, who's well known for her curves and SI swimsuit spreads. And their other well known driver is an accused tax dodger who can dance with the stars. Pathetic....

$600 million in losses is a big chunk of change for a measly series like the IRL. Imagine what FOTA will end up facing if they go to war with FIA. We're looking at billions of dollars lost on both sides.

Like it or not, you need a dictator to run a successful motorsport organization. A committee of teams or manufacturers has never worked. There's too many personal or corporate agendas to prevent an organization from moving forward. This is a lose-lose for both sides.

Bezza
19th June 2009, 11:05
FOTA cannot put together the following on 9 months:

15-18 races on world-class venues up to "F1" standards
A highly-paid for television package
Specially designed cars which adhere to new rules and safety parameters.

It is unworkable for 2010. Chances are they could breakaway and start the new series on poor tracks with poor cars on a satellite TV channel.

Dave B
19th June 2009, 11:20
FOTA cannot put together the following on 9 months:

15-18 races on world-class venues up to "F1" standards
A highly-paid for television package

It is unworkable for 2010. Chances are they could breakaway and start the new series on poor tracks with poor cars on a satellite TV channel.
Whist I broadly agree, don't forget that it's not just 9 months - they've apparently been working on this behind the scenes for a while.

I am evil Homer
19th June 2009, 11:23
Who says it needs TV deal in place? So long as you hire professional teams from local broadcasters (as F1 use to) you can stream it on the internet and offer the feed to whoever wants to take it.

Mark
19th June 2009, 12:30

Well there won't be any different cars, they will be F1 cars according to the current 2010 F1 regs.

Mark
19th June 2009, 12:30
Who says it needs TV deal in place? So long as you hire professional teams from local broadcasters (as F1 use to) you can stream it on the internet and offer the feed to whoever wants to take it.

:laugh: Try telling that to the sponsors, "It's ok, we're streaming live on the internet"

ioan
19th June 2009, 13:46
A split will only confuse and scare away the fans, make sponsorship money dry up for both series and water down the driver grids for both series.

I'm not scared and won't runaway.
Maybe Americans are easy to confuse though, who knows. :p :

ioan
19th June 2009, 13:47
:laugh: Try telling that to the sponsors, "It's ok, we're streaming live on the internet"

They'll be more than happy! Internet publicity is reaching higher and higher every year and sponsors are very serious about moving towards this!

I am evil Homer
19th June 2009, 13:49

Where they can place ads right next to the stream? Advertisers dream! Still it's a first step and it's still recorded so can be sent to any broadcaster who wants to pay to show it.

ioan
19th June 2009, 13:50
Where they can place ads right next to the stream? Advertisers dream! Still it's a first step and it's still recorded so can be sent to any broadcaster who wants to pay to show it.

It must be said that it turns out to be a good thing that Bernie ignored Internet broadcasting! :D

Dave B
19th June 2009, 15:08
They'll be more than happy! Internet publicity is reaching higher and higher every year and sponsors are very serious about moving towards this!
It's got a good few years yet before it reaches mass-market levels. Viewing figures for F1 in the UK are up in the 4-5 million mark partly because it on a terrestrial FTA channel (ITV1 for the past decade, now BBC One).

Stick it online only and the viewing figures will drop through the floor - not something sponsors would countenance.