PDA

View Full Version : 5 Power Energy....

Hoop-98
16th June 2009, 00:34
Penske will be running Power at 5 venues to be named later....

USA Today Story (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/irl/2009-06-14-penske-power_N.htm)

rh

indycool
16th June 2009, 12:06
Kinda like he started out a guy named Mears.

Mark in Oshawa
16th June 2009, 15:08
IC...Power deserves a full time ride tho, he isn't an unproven unknown.

Of course, any time you mention any driver in Rick Mear's league, that is a compliment. Rick Mears is one of the greatest drivers ever in Indy car, for the ovals if nothing else.

indycool
16th June 2009, 21:00
Think we're saying the same thing, Mark. Believe Mears could've gotten some other rides at the time but chose part time with Penske for a year or so instead. The rest for the "Master of Faster" is history.

harvick#1
17th June 2009, 15:06
good for Will, I hope he gets several wins in those starts to get a full-time gig, sad with a guy with that much talent sits on the sidelines, while you have plenty of slowpokes out there running everyrace

TURN3
17th June 2009, 18:23
He did the same thing with PT back in '91. Moved him into a 3rd car with Mobile 1 sponsorship for select races. Of course PT promptly broke his leg 15 laps into race 1 at MIS but he end up replacing injured Mears when he came back. Philosophy has been part of Roger's program for years. Go get 'em Will.

nigelred5
17th June 2009, 18:32
Yeah, but I think Tracy proved, some of those rides are slow-pokes no matter who's pushing the pedal.

I think it's a smart move for Power to hang on to an association with Penske, the sam way drivers tend to hang on with Ganassi. Eventually both owners find a deserving driver a good seat and a decent paycheck, even if it isn't in Indycars. I'd like to see Will sharing the driving in the Penske grand-am porsche when he isn't in the Indycars.