PDA

View Full Version : What Jaques thinks

akv89
16th February 2007, 23:18
Former World Champion Jacques Villeneuve has launched a scathing attack on the attitude of Kimi Raikkonen and the ability of Giancarlo Fisichella.

Famed for his outspokenness, Villeneuve is in particularly feisty mood for his appraisal of the 2007 grid in the latest edition of F1 Racing Magazine. However, it's Villeneuve's denouncement of Raikkonen, Michael Schumacher's replacement at Ferrari, as "overrated as a driver package" that will capture the most attention.

According to the French/Canadian, Raikkonen isn't on a par with World Champion Fernando Alonso because of his slovenly work ethic. "Apart from jumping in a car and going fast, he really doesn't care about the rest," declares Jacques. "A complete driver will spend time with the engineers, setting up the team and pushing the team. He doesn't give a s**t, so he isn't up there with Alonso."

The deficiency is so damaging, claims Villeneuve, that both Jenson Button and Felipe Massa will offer Alonso a tougher fight for the World Championship. Villeneuve may have been critical of his former team-mates in the past but it is clear that both Massa and Button have since earned his respect.

"He's fast, strong and nothing disturbs him," Jacques says of the Honda man. "But he'll have to be in a position to take a shot at the championship if we're to see if he is as good as Alonso. That's highly probable, because he's at least as good as Kimi."

As for Massa, Villeneuve believes that he will emerge as Ferrari's lead driver in 2007.

"He's intelligent, talented quick. With the right equipment, he can be a title contender. Then we'll see if he's really a great, or just a good, driver. But he could be great.

"Massa will probably take over as team leader. He and Kimi will definitely challenge each other, but Felipe should finish ahead because of his work ethic."

To his evident sadness, Villeneuve is not so complimentary about Renault's Giancarlo Fisichella. "I want to be positive about Fisi because he's a nice guy...but he just doesn't cut it. He's done. Even if he beats Heikki [Kovalainen], I don't think he's got anywhere to go. He's there as a benchmark for Heikki, and then at the end of the season, or even halfway through, they'll put Nelson Piquet Jr in the car."

But there's no such reluctance on Villeneuve's behalf to disparage Robert Kubica, the driver who replaced him at BMW last season. With just the faintest trace of bitterness, Jacques notes: "Kubica is fast but made a mistake in every race last year. Any driver who makes a mistake in almost every race is driving too fast for themselves.

"And he's very hard on his machinery, and I don't think he'll be capable of changing his driving style enough to suit the harder Bridgestones. If he can be more gentle, then he could be up there. But it'll get really interesting from 2008 when he goes without traction control."

As we said, just the faintest trace of bitterness.

What Jacques Says About The Other Drivers
On Nick Heidfeld: "He's a team driver and a hard worker. Sometimes too hard. There comes a point where you just have to go to bed."

On Rubens Barrichello: "Rubens is better than he showed last year. He just couldn't adapt to the car, and every driver can have that."

On David Coulthard: "The way he speaks is amazing...He should be running a country or something."

On Lewis Hamilton: "A very nice character...He's quick but green."

On Jarno Trulli: "I think he's overly tense and wears himself out when he doesn't need to."

On Tonio Liuzzi: "Nothing special...I don't see how he can be perceived as a serious driver."

On Scott Speed: "He hasn't shown anything to justify his place in F1."

On Christijan Albers: "A nasty, dirty driver."

On recovering crashaholic Takuma Sato: "At Aguri, he's stopped doing stupid things, but only by driving slower."

http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_Page/0,15909,3210_3213_1921248,00.html

What do you think?

DavErb
16th February 2007, 23:28
I think that if Brundle takes any holidays this year I'd love to see Jacques in the commentators booth. A little JV acid would be an interesting addition to the show. Kind of like a modern day Hunt the ***t :)

RJL25
17th February 2007, 01:31
hahaha poor christijan albers.. thats a pretty public slap in the face! and i love the "recovering crashaholic" gag at Taku!

How come he didnt comment on the rest of the grid? i was interested to hear what he has to say about webber.. i reckon webber had a similar "hard but fair" attitude to jaques when it came to overtaking

zoostation
17th February 2007, 01:33
i love jv

Roamy
17th February 2007, 02:48
Just great stuff - what else would you expect from a great champion. Now it appears that if I want to return as a ferrari fan I should root for Massa.

Ranger
17th February 2007, 03:06
Now it appears that if I want to return as a ferrari fan I should root for Massa.

Now cmon fousto... be free with your opinions and don't be Jacques' little bitch! :D

millencolin
17th February 2007, 03:30
since when does anyone care about what Jacques has to say about anything?

msaxman
17th February 2007, 05:31

since he was a world champion, and one of few interesting personalities on the grid. leaving the series doesn't remove his opinion, just makes it less accessible.

F1boat
17th February 2007, 08:03
Once more JV showed his complete lack of class. I'm not at least surprised that he attacks Kubica, who got his place in BMW, Sato, who got his place in Honda, Fisi, who was prefered in Renault (after JV's heroic performance in the last races of 2004) and Kimi, who probably crushed his dreams to drive in the great red team.
His true lack of class, though, is shown here:
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=30543

Really, I loathe this guy. Compared to him, Irvine looks like gentleman from a Dickens'novel.

Roamy
17th February 2007, 10:08
ha ha he is pulling the venom out of you. Fact is the guys he is talking about aren't doing jack sh!t in F1 He gave kudos to Button and Massa. The Brits have Button sheets on their bed so they can sleep at night. I would think they Brits love jV. The Fish is fryed how many more races do you want to see.

waitey
17th February 2007, 10:51
Former World Champion Jacques Villeneuve has launched a scathing attack on the attitude of Kimi Raikkonen and the ability of Giancarlo Fisichella.

Famed for his outspokenness, Villeneuve is in particularly feisty mood for his appraisal of the 2007 grid in the latest edition of F1 Racing Magazine. However, it's Villeneuve's denouncement of Raikkonen, Michael Schumacher's replacement at Ferrari, as "overrated as a driver package" that will capture the most attention.

According to the French/Canadian, Raikkonen isn't on a par with World Champion Fernando Alonso because of his slovenly work ethic. "Apart from jumping in a car and going fast, he really doesn't care about the rest," declares Jacques. "A complete driver will spend time with the engineers, setting up the team and pushing the team. He doesn't give a s**t, so he isn't up there with Alonso."

The deficiency is so damaging, claims Villeneuve, that both Jenson Button and Felipe Massa will offer Alonso a tougher fight for the World Championship. Villeneuve may have been critical of his former team-mates in the past but it is clear that both Massa and Button have since earned his respect.

"He's fast, strong and nothing disturbs him," Jacques says of the Honda man. "But he'll have to be in a position to take a shot at the championship if we're to see if he is as good as Alonso. That's highly probable, because he's at least as good as Kimi."

As for Massa, Villeneuve believes that he will emerge as Ferrari's lead driver in 2007.

"He's intelligent, talented quick. With the right equipment, he can be a title contender. Then we'll see if he's really a great, or just a good, driver. But he could be great.

"Massa will probably take over as team leader. He and Kimi will definitely challenge each other, but Felipe should finish ahead because of his work ethic."

To his evident sadness, Villeneuve is not so complimentary about Renault's Giancarlo Fisichella. "I want to be positive about Fisi because he's a nice guy...but he just doesn't cut it. He's done. Even if he beats Heikki [Kovalainen], I don't think he's got anywhere to go. He's there as a benchmark for Heikki, and then at the end of the season, or even halfway through, they'll put Nelson Piquet Jr in the car."

But there's no such reluctance on Villeneuve's behalf to disparage Robert Kubica, the driver who replaced him at BMW last season. With just the faintest trace of bitterness, Jacques notes: "Kubica is fast but made a mistake in every race last year. Any driver who makes a mistake in almost every race is driving too fast for themselves.

"And he's very hard on his machinery, and I don't think he'll be capable of changing his driving style enough to suit the harder Bridgestones. If he can be more gentle, then he could be up there. But it'll get really interesting from 2008 when he goes without traction control."

As we said, just the faintest trace of bitterness.

What Jacques Says About The Other Drivers
On Nick Heidfeld: "He's a team driver and a hard worker. Sometimes too hard. There comes a point where you just have to go to bed."

On Rubens Barrichello: "Rubens is better than he showed last year. He just couldn't adapt to the car, and every driver can have that."

On David Coulthard: "The way he speaks is amazing...He should be running a country or something."

On Lewis Hamilton: "A very nice character...He's quick but green."

On Jarno Trulli: "I think he's overly tense and wears himself out when he doesn't need to."

On Tonio Liuzzi: "Nothing special...I don't see how he can be perceived as a serious driver."

On Scott Speed: "He hasn't shown anything to justify his place in F1."

On recovering crashaholic Takuma Sato: "At Aguri, he's stopped doing stupid things, but only by driving slower."

http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_Page/0,15909,3210_3213_1921248,00.html

What do you think?

most negative guy iv heard haha. It's pretty funny but at the same time come on JV, your not in f1 anymore so you obviously haven't been able to make it work. All those other guys are there on the grid, so i don't think you can critisize them much, they always have the final say to JV, that being, "im in f1, where are you?"

Still interesting comments, obviously we don't know about all the little driving things that only as a driver you can see out on the track, like the comment on albers, that was pretty harsh. Does anyone know of anything similar to JV's comments about Albers and why he is labelled like this, im quite interested.

Most of JV's comments were correct in a sense, but as i said before, sounds just a bit like hes having a go at people who have something he doesnt: a spot on the grid. I think he's a bit jealous.

Nikki Katz
17th February 2007, 12:32
Hehe, that made me giggle. I'll miss Villeneuve. Ok, so he's past his prime and really struggled against Massa, but you don't get this sort of outburst from many.
I wonder what Albers has done to him!

andreag
17th February 2007, 13:27
All those other guys are there on the grid, so i don't think you can critisize them much, they always have the final say to JV, that being, "im in f1, where are you?"
He could really answer to all "the guys on the grid" but one:

"I'm a WDC; what have you won?"

Narr
17th February 2007, 18:22
I have a feeling he's right about Kimi though, he'll need to focus more if he's going to win the WDC.

VresiBerba
17th February 2007, 18:37

I take it you are one of those who don't care about what Jacques has to say, yet you read and write about him :confused:

jens
17th February 2007, 18:58

Well. Sometimes I have thought that Jacques should have worked harder at BAR instead of going to bed earlier to make a breakthrough with the team!

:laugh:

:crazy: :\
Maybe I've lost memory, but what has the Dutchman done?
I also see that he hasn't much sympathy about STR drivers and Kubica - maybe he is disappointed that youngsters have taken him out of F1?

Btw, no wonder that Jacques praises his former team-mates Jenson and Felipe, because he was in real trouble against them and how can you say that you failed to beat a mediocre driver? Logic, isn't it? :)

ratonmacias
18th February 2007, 00:06
take this from a jv fan.

he has all the right to ridicule sato as he did even worse than jv did at 03 in bar against the same teammate (button) on a team that had richards against him from day one.

he can say coulthard and fisi are ****. both were the same time as jv on a car that won two straight wdc titles (2 for mika 2 for alonso) and got nothing in fact i think fisi has 2 wins to jv s more than 10 on two seasons on the champion team. and jv's got a wdc fisi or coulthard not even close. hell irvine was nearer than either of them.

trulli ralf webber heidfield rosberg wurz speed are just part of f1 lets speak about them when they manage to win a race.

what did kubica do? roughly the same effectiveness as jv when both are compared against heidfield. not much if jv was on his way out and kubica is the next big talent.

in my opinion theres 3 good drivers right now :
felipe kimi and fernando.

then the hopeless:
heidfield kubica wurz webber rosberg barrichelo button fisi trulli schumacher jr coulthard liuzzi speed albers and sato

the rookies
davidson kovailanen and hamilton.

Ranger
18th February 2007, 00:53
take this from a jv fan.

he has all the right to ridicule sato as he did even worse than jv did at 03 in bar against the same teammate (button) on a team that had richards against him from day one.

he can say coulthard and fisi are ****. both were the same time as jv on a car that won two straight wdc titles (2 for mika 2 for alonso) and got nothing in fact i think fisi has 2 wins to jv s more than 10 on two seasons on the champion team. and jv's got a wdc fisi or coulthard not even close. hell irvine was nearer than either of them.

trulli ralf webber heidfield rosberg wurz speed are just part of f1 lets speak about them when they manage to win a race.

what did kubica do? roughly the same effectiveness as jv when both are compared against heidfield. not much if jv was on his way out and kubica is the next big talent.

in my opinion theres 3 good drivers right now :
felipe kimi and fernando.

then the hopeless:
heidfield kubica wurz webber rosberg barrichelo button fisi trulli schumacher jr coulthard liuzzi speed albers and sato

the rookies
davidson kovailanen and hamilton.

I can't say I agree with at least 90% of that post.

waitey
18th February 2007, 02:31
He could really answer to all "the guys on the grid" but one:

"I'm a WDC; what have you won?"

true, you got me there :D

blakebeatty
18th February 2007, 03:30
it sounds to me like he is a little bit of a sore loser (for losing his seat), a little bit bitter

pino
18th February 2007, 07:33

Trulli did win a GP :p :

ratonmacias
18th February 2007, 07:51

i know monaco 2004 but since he joined toyota the only thing that gets better is his checkbook.

pino
18th February 2007, 07:59
i know monaco 2004 but since he joined toyota the only thing that gets better is his checkbook.

Not his fault Toyota cannot build a competitive F1 car :p :

Ian McC
18th February 2007, 11:19
Seems to me like he just isn't getting it anymore, that's enough to make anyone cranky :rolleyes:

Still, talking trash gets you cash I guess :D

jens
18th February 2007, 11:42
then the hopeless:

What do you mean by "hopeless"? It might be true that your mentioned trio Felipe, Kimi and Fernando are the main contenders this season, but to call all the others "hopeless"?

millencolin
18th February 2007, 13:12
I take it you are one of those who don't care about what Jacques has to say, yet you read and write about him :confused:

nope i didnt read it... i just straight down to the quick reply box and typed in my lack of care for jacques quotes... i dont know what he has said but im sure its random b!tching bollocks.

ioan
18th February 2007, 15:43

Look who's talking now! :p :

Missing line:

JV: And he's the guy who sent me in vacation! :D

So, for JV, there are the ones who doesn't work enough and those who work too much. Luckily they don't resemble JV who doesn't work at all! :p :

But not as slow as JV has been driving since '98, however this is the other guy who sent JV in a vacation some time ago! ;)

JV will always stay what he always was a bitter dwarf.

ioan
18th February 2007, 15:45

Ralf to, even more than one, in fact more than JV won since he wasn't driving the mighty 97 Williams! :p :

F1boat
18th February 2007, 15:49
I agree with every comment ypu made, ioan. F1 never had a weaker champion than JV, either as driver or as human being.

ratonmacias
18th February 2007, 16:18
I agree with every comment ypu made, ioan. F1 never had a weaker champion than JV, either as driver or as human being.

wow now we are making moral judgements at an f1 forum.

jens
18th February 2007, 16:18
But not as slow as JV has been driving since '98, however this is the other guy who sent JV in a vacation some time ago! ;)

Although several Jacques's comments may raise question-marks, I have never considered him being as a "slow" driver. In BAR he was driving as fast as the car enabled (in 1999 maybe even over the abilities of the car, which caused endless mechanical gremlins), one of the best races being 1999 Spanish GP, where he held up both Ferraris until a troubled pitstop. Or Canadian GP in 2000, where he was driving in Top3 until it started to rain. On his best days (which lasted until 2002 included) I have considered him being as one of the top drivers, not at Michael's level, but in the next group.

Even in 2005 and 2006 he had his moments, although he seemed to accustamize slowly with the car.

I have had doubts about his working ability though (same as JPM).

captin 1 VXR
18th February 2007, 16:20
one think j v is good at is saying it how it is . same as j p m . and if thay say anything about f1 peep say there not in f1 . gosh u right but thay been there red the book and say it the way thay see it . the same as we do here .

ratonmacias
18th February 2007, 16:24
What do you mean by "hopeless"? It might be true that your mentioned trio Felipe, Kimi and Fernando are the main contenders this season, but to call all the others "hopeless"?

what i mean as hopeless is that most of them have never been close to an f1 championship and never will.

we have a very interesting thing that hasnt happened since 97. theres 3 very good drivers on two teams that are supposedly the best mclaren and ferrari. supposedly kimi and massa can fight for position unlike the past years at ferrari.

so tell me how somebody who isnt the top three or a rookie will fight for the title?

fisi cant, button is 1 for 120 in the wins department webber uses the talent available in his body to look good in the pics and to slag williams. rosberg and wurz are not even close to the top 3.

jens
18th February 2007, 16:35
what i mean as hopeless is that most of them have never been close to an f1 championship and never will.

I'm sure that when Eddie Irvine was driving alongside Schumacher, then many people said that he would never ever have a title chance. Even nowadays he is called a "loser". So never say never! :p :

VresiBerba
18th February 2007, 16:48

That's quite an understatement. NONE of them has been close to winning a championship, but then again how many has in, lets say the past ten years? Shumi, Alonso, Kimi Montoya, Mika and of course Jacques*, out of perhaps a hundred drivers. Just because a driver is not part of the above group does not mean they're hopeless.

*Edit; let's throw in Irvine too.

Roamy
18th February 2007, 17:24
well we will see - according to everyone BMW has the fastest car right now so Nick should be able to drive away and finally win. Now how want to do a little wager. I say Nick will not even win a race this year.

fandango
18th February 2007, 17:32
I'm inclined to agree with most of what JV says about these drivers. I'm not a bitter ex-F1 champion, and all of the drivers in F1 who I think are sh*t are still a million times better drivers than me, but that doesn't stop me having an opinion.

So I'll give the same benefit to JV. I reckon what he says about Raikkonen is bang on, and I really hope he's right about Massa. It is ironic, though, that when he left Williams to get his "own" team going way back then I thought he didn't have the complete package as a driver to lead and motivate the entire team to victory, so maybe that's what he recognises in Kimi!

jens
18th February 2007, 17:41
well we will see - according to everyone BMW has the fastest car right now so Nick should be able to drive away and finally win. Now how want to do a little wager. I say Nick will not even win a race this year.

That's quite likely that he and BMW won't win a race in 2007. Last year on most circuits BMW was lucky to get into the points. It's pretty unlikely to make such a jump in one year to become a top challenger.

At best BMW might resemble Renault's season in 2003 by taking some podium places and (maybe) score a win on a very suitable circuit (at BMW's case it should be Monza then).

Roamy
18th February 2007, 17:45
yea all eyes should be on massa and kimi

ratonmacias
18th February 2007, 17:56
yea all eyes should be on massa and kimi

yes they will be shown chasing fernando. lol although massa is growing on me

Roamy
18th February 2007, 17:59
I like Alonso however I am still inching back to Ferrari.
What team are you rooting for Rat
Also wonder where Race is on this??

jens
18th February 2007, 18:05
One more example.

I'm sure that in 2005 many people would have said that Massa is hopeless and will never become champion (as now he is in the "better group" of three). Recall people's reaction after his contract with Ferrari was announced - "Omg, what on earth have they done to hire such a useless driver?!"

The fact remains that even if people try to rate a driver, they still actually rate the machinery.

Hawkmoon
18th February 2007, 19:54
Interesting, if somewhat predictable comments from JV.

JV's comments should perhaps be taken in the context of JV being the only (I think) world champion to be dumped before the end of the season by 2 of the 3 teams he drove for. And that's not including Renault who preferred Fisi over JV for the following season.

Dzeidzei
18th February 2007, 20:15

JV's comments should perhaps be taken in the context of JV being the only (I think) world champion to be dumped before the end of the season by 2 of the 3 teams he drove for. And that's not including Renault who preferred Fisi over JV for the following season.

Well, jv talking reminds me of 2 very sad stories, him and williams. I think its quite obvious that the 97 williams was such a good car, that even my grand mother would have been wdc. Thats the only logical conclusion based on what jv did after his title. He´s mediocre and has always been.

And look at williams now. I do hope that they can deliver on some of the promise that has been shown in pre season testing.

jso1985
18th February 2007, 20:16
JV doing the only F1 related thong he can actually do well, no surprise there...
I don't mind his opinions(actually don't care) but it's quite funny how he can't talk anything nice to the drivers who sent him out of F1 :laugh:

F1boat
18th February 2007, 22:10
Well, jv talking reminds me of 2 very sad stories, him and williams. I think its quite obvious that the 97 williams was such a good car, that even my grand mother would have been wdc. Thats the only logical conclusion based on what jv did after his title. He´s mediocre and has always been.

For once, I agree with you at 100%. I remember that at the qualy in Australia JV had 2 seconds advantage to M Shumacher. At the last round at Jerez it was +0.000.
As our commentator said then, one driver did a lot of testing, while the other one was dying his hair. And the latter now speaks about Kimi's works ethic... pathetic.

race aficionado
18th February 2007, 22:49
I like Alonso however I am still inching back to Ferrari.
What team are you rooting for Rat
Also wonder where Race is on this??

I'm waiting to see what Kimi & Alonso bring to the table because all eyes are on them - as they shoud be.

I want no whinning - just some real racin'

I would like Massa to give Kimi a run for his money and would hope that the new kids on the block give us a pleasant surprise.

This is a very interesting season - and this coming from a JPM fan - that is typing this as the Daytona race is on. :D

:s mokin:

Bagwan
18th February 2007, 23:25
Certainly , anybody can be biassed , and Jacques has good reason to be so , in some cases , but these are opinions of drivers with whom he has had personal contact .
Though a few of us have had some contact with some of the drivers , none have driven along side them all as JV has .

All of us have people with whom we have had experience , and would feel in expert position to provide insight .

He has passed judgement on each of them , even though the interview was not on the subject for which he was prepared .
He is about to release his album , you know .

He was asked , and answered honestly , as we expect from Jacques .

BeansBeansBeans
19th February 2007, 00:00
I don't agree with everything he said but it's good to see a driver speaking so candidly. As someone mentioned earlier, he could be the next James Hunt should he decide to go into commentary.

ratonmacias
19th February 2007, 00:50

fisi was already contracted for 2005 when jv drove the last 2004 races at renault.

ratonmacias
19th February 2007, 00:53
For once, I agree with you at 100%. I remember that at the qualy in Australia JV had 2 seconds advantage to M Shumacher. At the last round at Jerez it was +0.000.
As our commentator said then, one driver did a lot of testing, while the other one was dying his hair. And the latter now speaks about Kimi's works ethic... pathetic.

yeah nevermind that newey was on a paid vacation and on his way to mclaren.

why is it jv´s fault and not frentzen´s fault?

ratonmacias
19th February 2007, 00:55

And look at williams now. I do hope that they can deliver on some of the promise that has been shown in pre season testing.

if the williams was so good and jv so bad why wasnt frentzen closer? you mean frentzen is worse than your grandma? its a fact frentzen wouldnt have won in that williams.

ratonmacias
19th February 2007, 00:58
JV doing the only F1 related thong he can actually do well, no surprise there...
I don't mind his opinions(actually don't care) but it's quite funny how he can't talk anything nice to the drivers who sent him out of F1 :laugh:

because sato was bad from day one and never did half of what jv did.

because kubica was more or less equal to jv when both are compared against heidfield.

again if jv was so bad shouldnt kubica do way better than him?

Bagwan
19th February 2007, 02:35
because sato was bad from day one and never did half of what jv did.

because kubica was more or less equal to jv when both are compared against heidfield.

Geez , Rat , that's not what they want to hear .
Bet on Massa . I have a signed hat and I want it to go up in value .

akv89
19th February 2007, 03:30
This is a very interesting season - and this coming from a JPM fan - that is typing this as the Daytona race is on. :D

:s mokin:

Glad to see your man do well in today's race. I even found myself cheering him on for the first time ever.

wmcot
19th February 2007, 06:20

I would give Kubica another season before making any judgements. JV came into F1 with a lot of racing experience and jumped into the best car at the time. A car that had been developed by DC and DH over 2 seasons! I can't think of a current driver who has that same luxury.

Yes, JV is a WDC, but if we take out 1996 and 1997, how many wins did he have???

Still, leave it to good old JV to stir the pot and give us a lot to talk about until the season starts. We should thank him for that!

F1boat
19th February 2007, 07:47
A car that had been developed by DC and DH over 2 seasons! I can't think of a current driver who has that same luxury.

Yes, JV is a WDC, but if we take out 1996 and 1997, how many wins did he have???

My point exactly. Hill made the car, then JV won in it, but when he was left alone with HHF, they did nothing at all. He is a fast driver, but extremely arrogant and nobody in F1 teams likes him now. That's why he is without job and couldn't find a job in NASCAR either.
He should have tried to get back in Champ Cars and test his skills against Bourdais. Seb would have finished the job.

Ranger
19th February 2007, 07:50
JV came into F1 with a lot of racing experience and jumped into the best car at the time.

Not that I'm a JV fan at all, but there are F1 drivers who had been driving for years in F1 before getting into the top car, then proceeded to do **** all in the best car on the grid (in comparison to JV). Examples of this include Coulthard, Fisichella and Barrichello from recent years.

The fact is that he was a very fortunate F1 driver and he did 100% effort to capitalise on the good fortune of having the best car on the grid, and won a WDC in the process, more than many drivers before or since have come close to doing, for which he must be given credit.

From 1998 though, he just became another driver on the grid. I'm sure I don't need to go into that.

F1boat
19th February 2007, 07:55
Sorry, Mallen, but Rubens Barrichello twice finished the championship as runner-up, and he lost to one of the best drivers ever to race in F1. This is not ****. As Irvine showed in 1999, it is possible for a mediocre driver to fight for the crown in a great car. JV just had a bit more luck than Irvine. That's all.

Ranger
19th February 2007, 08:05
Sorry, Mallen, but Rubens Barrichello twice finished the championship as runner-up, and he lost to one of the best drivers ever to race in F1. This is not ****. As Irvine showed in 1999, it is possible for a mediocre driver to fight for the crown in a great car. JV just had a bit more luck than Irvine. That's all.

No it isn't **** all, you're right. However, the fact remains that Rubens didn't take the full advantage of being in the best car on the grid, otherwise he would have been closer to the title.
Irvine challenged and failed. I'm not so sure the term "luck" separates JV's acheivement from Irvine's.

We can badmouth his acheivements all we want, but his CV still says "F1 World Champion" whereas other drivers' do not.

But as I said, personally I don't give a toss about what he did post-1998, as it's obvious he's done **** all from that point. No need to go into this.

Dzeidzei
19th February 2007, 08:18
if the williams was so good and jv so bad why wasnt frentzen closer? you mean frentzen is worse than your grandma? its a fact frentzen wouldnt have won in that williams.

Youre pretty close there. The chances of HHF ever winning anything were always nonexistent. Yes, hes slower than my grandma. And jv is only barely as fast as her. :)

To be honest, I think jv has always been haunted by the ghost of his father. He didnt really win anything, but people adored him. Thats something Jacques will never get and it seems to piss him off.

Ranger
19th February 2007, 08:23
Youre pretty close there. The chances of HHF ever winning anything were always nonexistent. Yes, hes slower than my grandma. And jv is only barely as fast as her. :)

Frentzen's 1999 campaign was pretty damn good IMO.

Tazio
19th February 2007, 09:00
hahaha poor christijan albers.. thats a pretty public slap in the face! and i love the "recovering crashaholic" gag at Taku!

How come he didnt comment on the rest of the grid? i was interested to hear what he has to say about webber.. i reckon webber had a similar "hard but fair" attitude to jaques when it came to overtaking

One possible reason he didn't talk trash about Webber is, he knows which guys will break his face, and which will not!!

ioan
19th February 2007, 09:02
No it isn't **** all, you're right. However, the fact remains that Rubens didn't take the full advantage of being in the best car on the grid, otherwise he would have been closer to the title.
Irvine challenged and failed. I'm not so sure the term "luck" separates JV's acheivement from Irvine's.

You mean that JV would have won championships against MS in the Ferrari? Don't be ridiculous! :)

Ranger
19th February 2007, 09:41
You mean that JV would have won championships against MS in the Ferrari? Don't be ridiculous! :)

Did I say that? No.

Did I say that Jacques is better than Rubens? No.

I'm simply saying that given the right circumstances and equipment given, Jacques made more out of what he had than Rubens did. Which is why Jacques is a world champion, whilst Rubens is not.

raphael123
19th February 2007, 10:48
I'm not a JV fan, but I like the guy, and I think overall he did a good job last season. And as people have already pointed out, he was an interesting character in F1. He told his opinions, unlike the new crop of drivers who are way too PR orientated! I want to like Hamilton, as I like his style on track, but in interviews he really is quite a bore! It's like watching paint dry, and he doesn't really say anything, even when he's talking! Hopefully we'll see some character from him this season coming!

Going to JV's comments, they are quite extreme, but that's what we are missing in F1. People always talk about how apart from 96 and 97 he was a failure, and showed how crap he was. But when you look at the cars he's driven, what did you expect him to achieve? He drove **** car's for the majority of his career apart from 2yrs. And it wasn't until 2003 where his reputation went right down the pan, which he never really recovered from though he did put on some good races in 2006. Zonta was tipped for big things, but he got nowhere near JV. And he did a good job with what he had. I'm sure if Zonta had entered F1 with another team-mate other than JV or one of the big guns he would have had a longer career in F1. Then Panis, who Ron Dennis rated very highly after a year of testing, and was almost tempted to put him in a race seat at McLaren! And we know how good Panis was during the early 97 season! He was sensational! Though I'm not sure if he ever completely recovered from his race accident in Canada, he seemed pretty good during his BAR years, and is quite highly rated, and JV quite comfortably beat him! Things went badly against Button, fair enough, and JV seemed to struggle making his come-back, but last year he was equal to Heidfeld generally, who is quite highly rated, and was a better driver than Webber during their time together (on race day anyway).

And to people who ask what has he achieved since he left Williams? I say look at what his team-mates have achieved in the same machinery, and his team-mates haven't been crap drivers at all, the list includes Panis, Button, Massa and Heidfeld! That's excluding Zonta, who I think is quite a decent driver personally as he has shown during testing times.

In 97, he completely humiliated Frentzen! He should have won it sooner, but he didn't have the advantage of having a lapdog to do some dirty work for him like MS which helped MS quite a bit that season. Without Irvine's help I think JV would have secured the title earlier in the season. Still, that's another story. JV should have wrapped up the title earlier, but he won the title, something that Rubens and Coulthard failed to do in similar superior cars, and these are drivers who are quite highly rated.

Anyway, to those who ask what he's won since 97, what have his team-mates in the same car achieved?

ioan
19th February 2007, 10:58
Did I say that? No.

Did I say that Jacques is better than Rubens? No.

I'm simply saying that given the right circumstances and equipment given, Jacques made more out of what he had than Rubens did. Which is why Jacques is a world champion, whilst Rubens is not.

And stating that you didn't mean that JV is better than RB?

555-04Q2
19th February 2007, 11:11
JV is a w@nker :down:

Erki
19th February 2007, 11:17

Hey what's wrong with w@nking? :(

ShiftingGears
19th February 2007, 11:28
I'd prefer his frank, say it as it is approach to the media as opposed to politically correct PR-talk from other drivers.

Ranger
19th February 2007, 11:41
And stating that you didn't mean that JV is better than RB?

What about it? I'm inclined to think Rubens has been a better driver over the course of the past 6 years than JV has. Though he hasn't been the most convincing driver either, He's slightly better than JV over the past 6 years probably due to his acheivements in the best cars on the grid.

Though both drivers were soundly beaten last year by their lesser experienced (new) team-mates, I would put Rubens higher up on an '06 driver rank than JV.

Just the impression that I get, of course.

raphael123
19th February 2007, 12:11
I agree perfectly with theugsquirrel. The new crop of drivers are way to PR orientated. They seem too scared to express any sort of opinion which may offend someone! However we've only got ourselves to blame. It's people on this board moaning about JV who have made F1 this year. Whenever we do get a character in F1, who makes statements or is slightly controversial they get slated e.g. Alonso last season, JPM, JV, Irvine etc.

Then drivers like Heidfeld - wow - what a character :S!

As for the whether Rubens is better than JV. I would say no. I would say JV was the better driver. I think JV did a good job from 96-2002. It was only 2 seasons, alongside Button at BAR and Massa at Saubers after his gap year where he faltered. Otherwise he did a good job. And when he was given a championship winning car, he won the title. His team-mate only managed 1 race win all season that year! Rubens on the otherhand, spent 6yrs at Ferrari who were by far the most dominate team, and amassed what, a dozen victories? What did his team-mate accomplish, 5 world championships and 50 odd race wins?

Rubens is good, like DC :)

pino
19th February 2007, 13:16
Long live Jacques and his big mouth...since we are in off-season :p : ;)

jens
19th February 2007, 13:38
Well, what concerns Frentzen and Villeneuve comparison, then what amazes me is that people always talk about 1997, but never mention 1998!

IMO it's pretty clear that 1997 car didn't not suit HHF. He was new to the team and I think it's not too wrong to say that it was Frentzen's worst year in F1. At Melbourne Villeneuve outqualified Frentzen by 1,7 seconds, which can't be explained with driver abilities!

Now what concerns 1998, then recall that HHF and JV were already practically equal. The car was more liking to Frentzen (what a shame it wasn't as competitive as in 1997, it could have been the best year in his career!) and he was able to fight against Villeneuve on quite many occasions! JV scored slightly more points, but mainly thanks to fewer retirements. So all in all I'd say that JV is or was not a better driver than HHF.

Frentzen is a fine example that how sensitive drivers are and how every nuance counts whether to be successful or not. Every tenth counts and if something is missing to make the work in the team perfect, then you won't gain that tenth. Even M. Schumacher said once: "There are seasons, where you try to give the maximum and do whatever you can, but results just won't come!" That's why I find it wrong, when drivers are written off after one bad season. Frentzen in Williams - not a great athmosphere in the team, pressure from the inside, car not to the liking and a strong team-mate pressuring. A year later in Jordan: nice athmopshere, suitable car, #1 driver in the team and oh what a difference that made in results! Fisichella has also been written off after failing alongside Alonso, although he may act and feel differently when he is team's #1 as he was before joining Renault!

What concerns Barrichello and Villeneuve comparison, then I'd put them on the same level as well, when their best days are taken into account.

555-04Q2
19th February 2007, 14:10
The new crop of drivers are way to PR orientated. They seem too scared to express any sort of opinion which may offend someone!

All thanks to professionalism, sponsorships and huge salaries. Teams own drivers now for X number of years and they do and say what they are told during that period. Money talks :(

Sadly, most sports have gone this route :down:

raphael123
19th February 2007, 14:23
Well, what concerns Frentzen and Villeneuve comparison, then what amazes me is that people always talk about 1997, but never mention 1998!

IMO it's pretty clear that 1997 car didn't not suit HHF. He was new to the team and I think it's not too wrong to say that it was Frentzen's worst year in F1. At Melbourne Villeneuve outqualified Frentzen by 1,7 seconds, which can't be explained with driver abilities!

Now what concerns 1998, then recall that HHF and JV were already practically equal. The car was more liking to Frentzen (what a shame it wasn't as competitive as in 1997, it could have been the best year in his career!) and he was able to fight against Villeneuve on quite many occasions! JV scored slightly more points, but mainly thanks to fewer retirements. So all in all I'd say that JV is or was not a better driver than HHF.

Frentzen is a fine example that how sensitive drivers are and how every nuance counts whether to be successful or not. Every tenth counts and if something is missing to make the work in the team perfect, then you won't gain that tenth. Even M. Schumacher said once: "There are seasons, where you try to give the maximum and do whatever you can, but results just won't come!" That's why I find it wrong, when drivers are written off after one bad season. Frentzen in Williams - not a great athmosphere in the team, pressure from the inside, car not to the liking and a strong team-mate pressuring. A year later in Jordan: nice athmopshere, suitable car, #1 driver in the team and oh what a difference that made in results! Fisichella has also been written off after failing alongside Alonso, although he may act and feel differently when he is team's #1 as he was before joining Renault!

What concerns Barrichello and Villeneuve comparison, then I'd put them on the same level as well, when their best days are taken into account.

I agree in that HHF was a talented driver in the right environment, a bit like Rubens Barrichello and Fisichella. But it seems Fisi and HHF in particular failed when the pressure was on, and they were finally given a car capable of winning a title. Therefore JV is better lol, as he managed to win in a car that was championship material. They simply too sensitive.

Erki
19th February 2007, 15:11
There's a tad of a difference between saying how things are and things that JV just said. Or put it this way: there's a difference between being outspoken and being a Jacques Villeneuve. :p :

ioan
19th February 2007, 15:15
There's a tad of a difference between saying how things are and things that JV just said. Or put it this way: there's a difference between being outspoken and being a Jacques Villeneuve. :p :

Good one! :up:

F1boat
19th February 2007, 15:19
Also I prefer politically correct ddrivers than such rude people like JV.

ratonmacias
19th February 2007, 15:35

ms never wanted jv as a teammate for some reason. why did he always choose lapdogs?

ratonmacias
19th February 2007, 15:39
One possible reason he didn't talk trash about Webber is, he knows which guys will break his face, and which will not!!

yeah because webber will fly from indy to lemans to beat him up and fly back dont be stupid this isnt highschool.

akv89
19th February 2007, 15:52

You took the words right out of my mouth. I agree that there are no "personalities" in F1 who have outspoken opinions. However, calling JV a frank and honest person who is not afraid to share his opinions just because of his complaining nature...would you say the same about somebody at your workplace who keeps ratting and complaining about you?

samuratt
19th February 2007, 15:55

No one is allowed to beat Michael on equal machinery, as it is stated in his contract! :P ;)

I really do not care about Villeneuve, but is good to hear from him from time to time so we have something to discuss here! :D

Apart from that, if he is WDC, while manny others are not, he must have something more than a very big mouth!!!

:bandit:

ratonmacias
19th February 2007, 15:59
My point exactly. Hill made the car, then JV won in it, but when he was left alone with HHF, they did nothing at all. He is a fast driver, but extremely arrogant and nobody in F1 teams likes him now. That's why he is without job and couldn't find a job in NASCAR either.
He should have tried to get back in Champ Cars and test his skills against Bourdais. Seb would have finished the job.

yeah right neweys departure didnt have to do with it because hill actually designed the 1997 car. the problem is that hhf couldnt design a decent chassis for 1998. and the year old renaults dubbed mecachromes were really competitive too.

Bagwan
19th February 2007, 16:06

So , In a nutshell , you say the Williams of '97 was to JV's liking , and he thrashed HHF .
Then , you say that the '98 was to HHF's liking , and he almost got to JV's level .

"not a great atmosphere in the team , pressure from the inside , car not to the liking..." . That's good enough reason for HHF to fail .
That sounds like all the years at BAR , and at Sauber ,for JV , too .

tinchote
19th February 2007, 16:07
This is great. JV is doing what he does best for F1, which is to stir the pot. Perfect arrangement ;) :p :

Bagwan
19th February 2007, 16:14
This is great. JV is doing what he does best for F1, which is to stir the pot. Perfect arrangement ;) :p :

That's right , Tin .
They know he'll answer any question .

There's a horrible dilemma brewing here .
What will we do this year , when JV is officially relegated to the History/nostalgia section , but is still commenting on the current season ?

Now , there's a hot debate for you .

To JV , or not to JV . That is the question .

Bagwan
19th February 2007, 16:42
Hey , there's another former F1 star out there saying disparaging remarks about former associates .
JPM has just said that McLaren have "run out of excuses" with Alonso on board , implying they were full of them when he was there .
Though he doesn't agree that Kimi will struggle as much as Jacques believes and sees him winning , he does note that Felipe "might have a very good start" to 2007 .

They asked him because he's a straight talker , and he answered .
Had they asked him as many questions as they asked JV , you would have the same number of answers .

ioan
19th February 2007, 17:06
Well JPM makes a lot more sense than JV, and he also has something to drive this season!

ratonmacias
19th February 2007, 17:27
Well JPM makes a lot more sense than JV, and he also has something to drive this season!

so driving lemans is nothing?

jv has something jpm never will an f1 wdc.

Bagwan
19th February 2007, 17:28

So , when JPM slags his former team , it makes sense , but when JV slags former team members , it doesn't make sense .
That makes sense .
Thanks for that input . Gotta be right on the money .

Have you heard ? JV is driving LeMans .

ioan
19th February 2007, 17:59
So , when JPM slags his former team , it makes sense , but when JV slags former team members , it doesn't make sense .
That makes sense .
Thanks for that input . Gotta be right on the money .

Have you heard ? JV is driving LeMans .

Unlike JV, JPM stated some sound opinions.

Or you believe that JPM should have stated that FA or LH are pants just because they got his drive, like JV did with Sato and Kubica???

I often criticized JPM, and there is proof to that in this forum, but saying that McLaren have to deliver this year because they ran out of excuses isn't = badmouth every driver who is better than you!

So what if JV is driving LeMans? Gene does too! As many others do.
Let's hope he doesn't fall asleep after loosing interest half way through the first 2 hours stint. :p :

Tazio
19th February 2007, 18:03
yeah because webber will fly from indy to lemans to beat him up and fly back dont be stupid this isnt highschool.
B!te Me!!

ioan
19th February 2007, 18:05

He also has plenty of other things JPM might never have:
baggy F1 overalls
the impression that he really can sing
the longest F1 streak without a win while having a huge paycheck

and so on.
But all these won't change the fact that his comments were highly hypocritical with no support from reality.

ioan
19th February 2007, 18:07
Apart from that, if he is WDC, while manny others are not, he must have something more than a very big mouth!!!

Right, the best car by far, for a full season! ;)

ratonmacias
19th February 2007, 18:58

Or you believe that JPM should have stated that FA or LH are pants just because they got his drive, like JV did with Sato and Kubica???

I often criticized JPM, and there is proof to that in this forum, but saying that McLaren have to deliver this year because they ran out of excuses isn't = badmouth every driver who is better than you!

Let's hope he doesn't fall asleep after loosing interest half way through the first 2 hours stint. :p :

apples to oranges.

jpm cant diss alonso because:
won the championship in 2005.
won the championship in 2006
is tipped to contend for the championship in 2007.

jpm cant diss hamilton because he hasnt raced yet.

jv can diss sato because:
he drove badly in 2002 on the jordan
he scored comparatively less points than jv in 2004
he sucked donkey ass in 2005.

jv dissed kubica because kubica did comparatively as good or as bad as jv did. so if jv was lost why isnt kubica lost? is it because he is thiessen´s spoilt child?

ratonmacias
19th February 2007, 18:59
B!te Me!!

cant expect anymore from you carry on.

ioan
19th February 2007, 19:34
apples to oranges.

As you say:

jv dissed kubica because kubica did comparatively as good or as bad as jv did. so if jv was lost why isnt kubica lost? is it because he is thiessen´s spoilt child?

Compare JV who drove an F1 car since 96 with RK who had a few tests, and did as good as JV! ;)

Donney
19th February 2007, 19:38

That and a record out in the market :rolleyes: The fact that JV has 1 wdc is undeniable but it doesn't turn right everything he says and especially how he says it.

Bagwan
19th February 2007, 19:41

Like JV , JPM stated some sound opinions .

Did they ask JPM about FA and LH ?
Maybe they forgot , or perhaps it was because neither was his team-mate .

I know you've criticized JPM . There's no need to prove it .
I've defended him many times of which I'm sure you are aware .
I'm not slagging JPM , but rather showing that JV is no different .

And , stating JV is driving LeMans is a direct refutation of your statement that Jacques has no drive .

If you are going to give us your opinion , back it up .

Especially if you are going to carry a sig such as yours .

Tazio
19th February 2007, 19:46
I think this boils down to a very basic dynamic! If you’re a JV fan you find this revealing. If your not. It seems inappropriate, even if it is true!

F1boat
19th February 2007, 20:32
ms never wanted jv as a teammate for some reason.

Yet - JV is destructive for a racing team, is unpleasant man and driver who will never think for the team.

futuretiger9
19th February 2007, 21:37
Jacques was great value in his time, but he cuts a slightly forlorn figure these days.

ratonmacias
19th February 2007, 22:39
As you say:

Compare JV who drove an F1 car since 96 with RK who had a few tests, and did as good as JV! ;)

so what when you replace something better do it with a better unit not the same stuff.

so when a car pits for new tires do they still get worn out tires? look they are shot but they are new.

ratonmacias
19th February 2007, 22:40
Yet - JV is destructive for a racing team, is unpleasant man and driver who will never think for the team.

naw wrong answer the tifosi would have loved jv maybe just because of his dad and the cheater wouldnt have been able to pull al the stupid stunts he pulled on irvine and barrichelo.

ratonmacias
19th February 2007, 22:43
I think this boils down to a very basic dynamic! If you’re a JV fan you find this revealing. If your not. It seems inappropriate, even if it is true!

how is it innapropiate if its true? all of them are public profiles and jaques isnt talking about their private life.

had jv said that kimi prefers 5 minutes at a strip joint and three shots of vodka than a test session then jv would be out of line.

Hawkmoon
19th February 2007, 23:33
JV is very much a love him or hate him item. Depending on which side you fall, you will either take his comments as honest, forthwright opinion or bitter and spitefull. Neither side is going to be easily swayed from their opinion either, as JV has a very polarising effect on most people.

In 1995 I was disapointed that JV signed with Williams because as a Ferrari fan I would have loved to have seen the Villeneuve name on the side of a Ferrari GP car once more. Now, I'm glad he never drove for Ferrari because, with the benefit of hindsight, I don't think he would have ever been a good fit with the team that was being built. JV's stong personality would never have worked well with a team that was being built with Schumacher as one of it's corner stones.

Ofcourse, Jerez '97 and the aftermath didn't exactly endear JV to me. That's a reflection on me as a gutted Ferrari fan and not on JV as he didn't do anything wrong. I didn't like the comments he made after the race, understandable though they may have been.

The thing about JV that bothers me the most is something that he has no control over and that's his fans. The stubborn insistence that JV is/was a great driver despite the overwhelming (as I see it) evidence to the contrary leaves me amazed at times. He had 2 good seasons out of 11 and those were the first two.

OK, he never again had championship material after the '97 Williams but where were the drives that made you go "Wow, how the hell did he get that piece of crap into that position?"? I'm talking about drives like Damon Hill's effort at Hungary '97 in the crappy Arrows or Schumi's drive at Barcelona '96.

Whilst all that elegantly put rubbish above is not strickly speaking "on topic", if pino has his way this will be the last ever thread featuring JV so I thought I'd get my final 'au revoir' to JV out of the way. :D

jens
19th February 2007, 23:33
If there is a thread about Villeneuve, then there is usually gonna be a lot of posts. :p : And a usual debate between Villeneuve and non-Villeneuve fans. As you have been around this forum a lot longer than me then I expected that you have already discussed everything about him (I remember in the old forums there were a very long "official" threads about him), but you seem to come back to this again and again. :p :

What concerns JV's comments, then it's of course interesting to read them (as you say that nowadays there aren't many honest drivers), but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't be critical about them if we find something to disagree with.

Some additional comments from me as well. :)

So , In a nutshell , you say the Williams of '97 was to JV's liking , and he thrashed HHF .
Then , you say that the '98 was to HHF's liking , and he almost got to JV's level .

"not a great atmosphere in the team , pressure from the inside , car not to the liking..." . That's good enough reason for HHF to fail .
That sounds like all the years at BAR , and at Sauber ,for JV , too .

Umm. I meant that 1997 car was to JV's liking. In 1998 they were probably to both's liking (or not as both were struggling a bit). Would you imagine that a team wouldn't put emphasis on their driver, who has just become WDC?

The Frentzen's Williams and Villeneuve's BAR period were quite different actually. In BAR the team was built around JV and he had all the opportunities to build up the team. Yep, in Sauber JV was struggling or as he said that after a pause of one season it's hard to get used to all that stuff again.

he scored comparatively less points than jv in 2004

What? Sato scored 34 and JV zero points (in three races though).

ratonmacias
20th February 2007, 00:05
OK, he never again had championship material after the '97 Williams but where were the drives that made you go "Wow, how the hell did he get that piece of crap into that position?"? I'm talking about drives like Damon Hill's effort at Hungary '97 in the crappy Arrows or Schumi's drive at Barcelona '96.

i will concede hill was brilliant at hungary but please schumacher took the 3rd fastest car of 1995 that had really poor drivers (alessi, berger) hell alessi even won canada in 1995 and started winning some races in 1996.

same as alonso will do with the mclaren will he be a hero if he manages to win some races?

you schumi or ferrari fans make it sound like if ferrari was minardi or super aguri then after schumacher the team turned around.

regarding jv watch some you tube videos of the 2000 season theres the clips you are looking for in the ****box bar honda.

ratonmacias
20th February 2007, 00:10
If there is a thread about Villeneuve, then there is usually gonna be a lot of posts. :p : And a usual debate between Villeneuve and non-Villeneuve fans. As you have been around this forum a lot longer than me then I expected that you have already discussed everything about him (I remember in the old forums there were a very long "official" threads about him), but you seem to come back to this again and again. :p :

What concerns JV's comments, then it's of course interesting to read them (as you say that nowadays there aren't many honest drivers), but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't be critical about them if we find something to disagree with.

Some additional comments from me as well. :)

Umm. I meant that 1997 car was to JV's liking. In 1998 they were probably to both's liking (or not as both were struggling a bit). Would you imagine that a team wouldn't put emphasis on their driver, who has just become WDC?

The Frentzen's Williams and Villeneuve's BAR period were quite different actually. In BAR the team was built around JV and he had all the opportunities to build up the team. Yep, in Sauber JV was struggling or as he said that after a pause of one season it's hard to get used to all that stuff again.

What? Sato scored 34 and JV zero points (in three races though).

what i meant was button never outscored jv 37 to 1 like he did to sato.

Hawkmoon
20th February 2007, 00:30
i will concede hill was brilliant at hungary but please schumacher took the 3rd fastest car of 1995 that had really poor drivers (alessi, berger) hell alessi even won canada in 1995 and started winning some races in 1996.

same as alonso will do with the mclaren will he be a hero if he manages to win some races?

you schumi or ferrari fans make it sound like if ferrari was minardi or super aguri then after schumacher the team turned around.

regarding jv watch some you tube videos of the 2000 season theres the clips you are looking for in the ****box bar honda.

That's not what I was trying to say. I was looking for examples of world champions putting cars in positions that they had no business being after they had left the team in which they won the championship.

The '96 Ferrari was a piece of crap compared to the two Renault powered teams and Schumi destroyed the field at Barcelona to such an extent that even JV said Schumi was on another planet that day.

I can't think of any drives from JV that made me sit up and take notice after he won the title in '97. Considering the fact that he drove for a further 9 seasons after his title I find it a disappointing performance.

what i meant was button never outscored jv 37 to 1 like he did to sato.

That's true. In their only season together, the score was 17-6 in favour of Button. Also consider that Sato scored 3 points in 1 race that season and JV scored 6 points in 15 races. Sato then went on to score 34 points in 2004 which is more points in a single season than JV scored in all but 2 of his 11 seasons.

But hey, you can make statistics say pretty much anything, if you try hard enough. :D

Tazio
20th February 2007, 00:52
how is it innapropiate if its true? all of them are public profiles and jaques isnt talking about their private life.

had jv said that kimi prefers 5 minutes at a strip joint and three shots of vodka than a test session then jv would be out of line.
Well I'll tell you.
To someone who doesn't give a toss about JV,
it sounds like the rantings of a bitter, vidictive, has-been!
Final answer!

Bagwan
20th February 2007, 01:16
[quote="jens"]

The Frentzen's Williams and Villeneuve's BAR period were quite different actually. In BAR the team was built around JV and he had all the opportunities to build up the team. Yep, in Sauber JV was struggling or as he said that after a pause of one season it's hard to get used to all that stuff again.[quote]

'96 had him close to Hill , '97 beating HHF , and '98 both struggling with a trash engine .
JV struggled with Head over set-up , and was criticized even though he won the WDC .
Would you have me believe that Head treated him as team leader ?
It was both the engine and that struggle that had him leave .

Then , at BAR , Reynard , technical director , scuttled any attempt to better the car with JV's expertise .
Once finally rid , Richards sat in and fought the second round , favouring Button .

What JV struggled with at Sauber was the need to bury the throttle instead of using his normally smooth technique . The Ferrari TC interfered with his driving , whereas Felipe was well versed , having been a tester for the reds .

ratonmacias
20th February 2007, 04:09
That's not what I was trying to say. I was looking for examples of world champions putting cars in positions that they had no business being after they had left the team in which they won the championship.

The '96 Ferrari was a piece of crap compared to the two Renault powered teams and Schumi destroyed the field at Barcelona to such an extent that even JV said Schumi was on another planet that day.

I can't think of any drives from JV that made me sit up and take notice after he won the title in '97. Considering the fact that he drove for a further 9 seasons after his title I find it a disappointing performance.

That's true. In their only season together, the score was 17-6 in favour of Button. Also consider that Sato scored 3 points in 1 race that season and JV scored 6 points in 15 races. Sato then went on to score 34 points in 2004 which is more points in a single season than JV scored in all but 2 of his 11 seasons.

But hey, you can make statistics say pretty much anything, if you try hard enough. :D

its not about how many points you score by yourself but how many points you score compared to your teammates. after jv won in 97 he never had a car as brilliant as the 04 bar. if i were jv i would have driven for free that car. if thats what richards offered he could have salvaged his career.

but all is easier said than done.

do i think jacques is as brilliant as senna or prost? no but he isnt a coulthard or fisichella either. he had a worthy teammate in 96 and gave him a run for his money as a rookie. beat soundfully hhf in the following two seasons. beat zonta and panis. and then after all the crap that piled up since his crash in australia 01 started a downward spiral

since the start of the 2002 he was only bothered by politics within the team that finally burst in 2003. after that he was done even thou he came back.

ratonmacias
20th February 2007, 04:13

unfortunately his car was never good since '98 he had great qualy efforts and horrible failures during the 2000 season then in 2001 he had that accident with ralf and it was all downhill he stopped being fearless.

akv89
20th February 2007, 05:12

:up:
The fact that its the little things that affect performance make me wonder if JV really was a talent when he first came to F1 and then just began to lose it. After all, all champions have to go down sometime. Some go down fighting (Mansell), some go down dying (too many to mention), and some leave before losing their touch (Schumacher). Perhaps JV simply lost his touch within a couple seasons. The reason I say this is because of his performances in comparison to Damon Hill during his first year in F1.

ioan
20th February 2007, 09:20
but please schumacher took the 3rd fastest car of 1995 that had really poor drivers (alessi, berger)

JV fan with JV like comments! :s
For your info, Berger and Alesi were able to win races in non-championship material cars, unlike JV, so stop talking crap.

samuratt
20th February 2007, 10:03

jens
20th February 2007, 10:37
As someone mentioned 1995, then IMO Alesi was the strongest driver besides Schumacher that year. If the car allowed, he fought against superior Williamses and Benettons and could have scored more race wins, if the car only hadn't broken down all the time...

Agree with those, who say that Ferrari's rise was not entirely Team Schumacher's effort. Ferrari started to rise since 1993 after hiring Jean Todt. They had built a good basement before Schumacher era and in 1995 Ferrari was already able to stay in the WCC title hunt for about half a season! Probably without Team Schumi Ferrari wouldn't have achieved so many titles as they have in this millenium, but they would have become championship title challengers sooner or later, especially as Fiat decided to invest more into the team before 1996 (which made it possible to pay so much to Michael).

Sorry for going completely Offtopic...

dpatt
20th February 2007, 12:37
JV mmm maybe jealous - even on a corrected points system Kimi would have more overall points than he has. Kimi now in 14th JV - 28th. Kimi will add to his total in 2007 in F1 - JV will, well will do what JV does best attack others.

5 Coulthard, David 513
11 Alonso, Fernando 381
14 Raikkonen, Kimi 346
17 Montoya, Juan Pablo 307
26 Fisichella, Giancarlo 246
28 Villeneuve, Jacques 235

Erki
20th February 2007, 12:46
Q: Why can't this thread be in the History & Nostalgia sub-forum?
A: Because they only one nostalgic about JV is himself.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/r8dno1/aok/hand/00.gif

F1boat
20th February 2007, 12:55

ROFL!

fly_ac
20th February 2007, 13:34

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

555-04Q2
20th February 2007, 15:09
I'll say it again.....

tinchote
20th February 2007, 19:48

Ouch!

jso1985
20th February 2007, 21:04
Erki :up: :laugh:

About outspoken drivers, have nothing against them but let's be rea,l it clearly looks JV needed to say everyone in F1 is pants otherwise he wouldn't have been in F1 Racing Magazine ;)
If a driver has something to say, ok for me, but JV is just trying to get some atention

Andy65
20th February 2007, 22:13
I'll say it again.....

To the point I think, but at the end of the day Does it really matter what JV thinks, has he ever worked with Kimi or sat down and talked to him, what does JV really know about Kimi ? Nothing !!!
I must say I find it all a bit odd, when Kimi was at mclaren it was poor old Kimi too good to be driving that heap, should have been double world champion by now if not for such a crap car and all that, but now he's driving for the Ferrari half the pit lane are trying to rubbish him, he's overrated he's not as good as Massa or Button, he's lazy doesn't like work, can this really be the same man they are all talking about, the same man only a few months ago was the most wanted driver in the pit lane !?

VresiBerba
21st February 2007, 00:06
To the point I think, but at the end of the day Does it really matter what JV thinks, has he ever worked with Kimi or sat down and talked to him, what does JV really know about Kimi ? Nothing !!!

Well he knows a hell of a lot more than you or me, I tell you that, and don't forget that Jacques and David are two really good friends, the latter who was by the way partnering Kimi for three whole years.

Bagwan
21st February 2007, 01:00
I must say I find it all a bit odd, when Kimi was at mclaren it was poor old Kimi too good to be driving that heap, should have been double world champion by now if not for such a crap car and all that, but now he's driving for the Ferrari half the pit lane are trying to rubbish him, he's overrated he's not as good as Massa or Button, he's lazy doesn't like work, can this really be the same man they are all talking about, the same man only a few months ago was the most wanted driver in the pit lane !?

Andy , you say Jacques knows nothing and then ask why half the pit lane thinks the same way .

What's up with that ?

Roamy
21st February 2007, 01:01
Andy this makes no difference if Massa kicks Kimi's ass or Kimi fails to win
consistently JV is right - let the year play out and see. So right now I like alonso but like the Ferrari Marque. Massa may also do depending on what he does against Kimi. So this year I am looking at Alonso, Kimi, Massa and believe or not I will finally have a good look at Button. I expect Hekki to be rookie of the year.

Roamy
21st February 2007, 06:11
Andy , you say Jacques knows nothing and then ask why half the pit lane thinks the same way .

What's up with that ?

By the Way Bag JV is not posting on his site - rarely though

F1boat
21st February 2007, 08:19
Well he knows a hell of a lot more than you or me, I tell you that, and don't forget that Jacques and David are two really good friends, the latter who was by the way partnering Kimi for three whole years.

and was trounced by him.

harsha
21st February 2007, 11:08
JV has some valid points on most counts,even with Raikkonen,he really needs to prove himself this year,unless he does so,people are going to think he's over-rated.....

SGWilko
21st February 2007, 12:21
ha ha he is pulling the venom out of you. Fact is the guys he is talking about aren't doing jack sh!t in F1 He gave kudos to Button and Massa. The Brits have Button sheets on their bed so they can sleep at night. I would think they Brits love jV. The Fish is fryed how many more races do you want to see.

And Yanks have Speed sheets on theirs, I suppose? Deffo agree about Fisi, but I've thought that for ages. I never used to like JV, cos he almost pull the rug from under Hill's feet. But I do like him now, as he is/was, one of the remaining characters in the pitlane......

Roamy
21st February 2007, 14:42
errr I have jennifer lopez sheets on my bed thank you.

Speed has to beat Luzzi right now. I suspect the contract will have a out in the event he doesn't.

Massa, Button, Alonso battle for the title would not be all bad.

SGWilko
22nd February 2007, 16:24
I'll say it again.....

But, that's his business, surely? :D

leopard
23rd February 2007, 03:59
for some extent i think JV's comments are fine.

For your own honor at least you need to convince people around you that you have sufficient loyalties spending most of your time at work, regardless how good you are capable of your job.

Kimi maybe an independent person that work wholeheartedly without having to approach personally to the company, for all to consider that each person have their own way at work, being a straightforward person like Kimi isn't bad, sadly there isn't too much company who like this attitude, IMO

Roamy
23rd February 2007, 04:59
well here we are 7 pages and counting.

Cozzie
23rd February 2007, 05:16
Who frigging cares what Jacques thinks!!!

Roamy
23rd February 2007, 05:18
obviously 7 pages of comments speak highly of what he has to say

F1boat
23rd February 2007, 09:23
Well, yes, I care that a former champion can fall so low.

ioan
23rd February 2007, 11:43
Well, yes, I care that a former champion can fall so low.

He didn't fall too low, he never was able to elevate himself from this level, and this is sad for a representative of the human race.

CarlMetro
23rd February 2007, 13:09
leaving the series doesn't remove his opinion, just makes it less accessible.

No, it makes it less relevant.

Personally I don't care what JV or any other former champion, including Schumacher, says about the current drivers. I prefer to form my own opinions on how good someone is in a particular car and don't need a hasbeen to tell me otherwise.

BDunnell
23rd February 2007, 13:22
No, it makes it less relevant.

Personally I don't care what JV or any other former champion, including Schumacher, says about the current drivers. I prefer to form my own opinions on how good someone is in a particular car and don't need a hasbeen to tell me otherwise.

Why shouldn't he have a view like every other F1-watcher? We all have our own opinions, and those are his.

CarlMetro
23rd February 2007, 13:26
Very true, JV is as entitiled to his opinion as anyone else. The difference being that he decides to make his very public, and most of it seems like sour grapes to me.

BDunnell
23rd February 2007, 13:35
Very true, JV is as entitiled to his opinion as anyone else. The difference being that he decides to make his very public, and most of it seems like sour grapes to me.

This is true. It seems that hardly any prominent F1 drivers of recent times, with the exception of Damon Hill (who, in his current role, can hardly do anything else), can be elegantly or constructively critical of their peers and successors once they've retired from the sport. I enjoy hearing the views of such as John Watson, Keke Rosberg, Jackie Stewart and Stirling Moss; however, I'd rather the likes of Villeneuve and Eddie Irvine would just shut up most of the time.

harsha
23rd February 2007, 13:49
what about Mika Hakkinen............ :?:

luvracin
23rd February 2007, 14:52
Funny how a thread covering the thought processes of JV has gone on so long......

Big Ben
23rd February 2007, 16:05
ioan hates him so he must be a great driver.

VresiBerba
23rd February 2007, 16:35

Oh the irony.

W8&C
23rd February 2007, 17:19
what about Mika Hakkinen............ :?:
He´s a Finn, so he does not talk at all. :D

Hazell B
23rd February 2007, 20:20
I'd rather the likes of Villeneuve and Eddie Irvine would just shut up most of the time.

I expect most people feel the same, especially those in the sport. JV and EI probably regret most of their words, too.

However, the people pushing questions at them and allowing them media space are the ones who should be realising that. After all, if nobody asked Villeneuve what he thought, he'd have no platform. Of course, they also misquote him and take things out of context a good deal.

Bagwan
24th February 2007, 01:34
I expect most people feel the same, especially those in the sport. JV and EI probably regret most of their words, too.

However, the people pushing questions at them and allowing them media space are the ones who should be realising that. After all, if nobody asked Villeneuve what he thought, he'd have no platform. Of course, they also misquote him and take things out of context a good deal.

Bernie is just wringing his hands at the publicity that JV creates .

For the record , Hazel , JV didn't know that this interview was about F1 , but dutyfully answered the questions rather than duck them .

Given that he has just put out a CD , one might have expected , as did JV , that it would be about music .

And , speaking of regret , JV has given in , and admitted that a few of the jibes he shot at Jensen were a bit harsh .

nigelred5
24th February 2007, 03:10
He thinks he is the best driver to have ever sat in a car. They have well tested medicines to control things like this. He should try some and go play is guitar. :s mokin:

Roamy
24th February 2007, 03:14
with a LeMans win and a Nascar championship he may well be the best to ever sit in a car.

ShiftingGears
24th February 2007, 06:11
He thinks he is the best driver to have ever sat in a car.

CITATIONS PLEASE!

BDunnell
24th February 2007, 11:07

Indeed, but of course they're going to ask him what he thinks of F1 after he's been in it. He is, after all, a former World Champion, which does add relevance to what he says even if most people think that what he says is rather ill-advised. If this wasn't the case, broadcasters and newspapers would just interview the likes of us about F1.

BeansBeansBeans
24th February 2007, 11:50
I found it interesting to read Nick Heidfeld's comments in this week's Autosport. He seems to have rated Villeneuve highly and was surprised when he was ousted for Robert Kubica.

Bagwan
24th February 2007, 13:59
I found it interesting to read Nick Heidfeld's comments in this week's Autosport. He seems to have rated Villeneuve highly and was surprised when he was ousted for Robert Kubica.

-Puts on Valve's hat- "Link , please."

Hazell B
24th February 2007, 19:38
For the record , Hazel , JV didn't know that this interview was about F1 , but dutyfully answered the questions rather than duck them .

Are you honestly telling me that he's ever had an interview in the past five or so years that hasn't mentioned F1 at some point? Of course he knew there would be questions related to it. And he should have just said no comment several times over those years.

I like the guy very much, but just hate the way he's misquoted and bitter sounding in almost everything I read. He really should just shut up and let the press start picking on somebody else until they look back on him with more favour.

VresiBerba
24th February 2007, 20:57

What did Villeneuve think F1 Racing Magazine were asking him for an interview about, home appliances :confused:

VresiBerba
24th February 2007, 21:00
Are you honestly telling me that he's ever had an interview in the past five or so years that hasn't mentioned F1 at some point? Of course he knew there would be questions related to it. And he should have just said no comment several times over those years.

But you can't just say 'no comment' when asked about Kimi in an interview supposed to get some answers from Villeneuve about... Kimi! That's ridiculus.

Bagwan
24th February 2007, 23:42
Right , you are coming out with an CD , and it is the week of the launch .
Your publicist says he has an interview with a magazine .

Whether the magazine was Rolling Stone , Spin , or F1 Racing , would you expect questions about your life in F1 , or about your CD ?

Get real , kids .
He answered specific questions about specific drivers .
He answered honestly with his opinions .

JV doesn't need F1 . He's got a drive .
F1 needs JV .

BeansBeansBeans
25th February 2007, 00:36
-Puts on Valve's hat- "Link , please."

As I said, I read it in Autosport, and as far as I'm aware they haven't published said interview online. Sorry.

BeansBeansBeans
25th February 2007, 00:37
JV doesn't need F1

True.

F1 needs JV

False.

F1boat
25th February 2007, 11:18
I agree with Beans. F1 needs no rude clowns.

BeansBeansBeans
25th February 2007, 11:39
I agree with Beans. F1 needs no rude clowns.

I like Villeneuve but I don't think that F1 needs him. F1 has survived without Fangio, Senna, Prost, G. Villeneuve....etc, and it will survive without Herr Schumacher, so I certainly think it can survive without Jacques.

Bagwan
25th February 2007, 13:57
Yeah , it will survive , but it will even more "corporate-speak" than before .

I think it likely that you have very little experience with legumes .
You don't know beans .

It not surprising that the media go to a guy who isn't in a seat this year , when the money has such control of the mouths with seats .

Ian McC
25th February 2007, 14:53
F1 needs JV .

Hardly Bagwan, he's had his day

BeansBeansBeans
25th February 2007, 16:07
I agree that drivers are more corporate today than ever before, but that's inevitable in a sport which survives on the financial input of multi-national, blue-chip companies.

Having said that, you can give me Kimi or Alonso over Villeneuve any day. Anyone who cares more about what drivers say in interviews than what they do behind the wheel is interested in the sport for the wrong reasons.

Oh, and Bagwan. I've been registed here for over 2 and a half years. All of the tiresome, unfunny 'Beans' jokes have already been made.

harsha
25th February 2007, 16:20
JV has every right to his opinion as a former WDC has,as someone said opinions are like arseholes,everyone has one...

akv89
25th February 2007, 18:02
JV has every right to his opinion as a former WDC has,as someone said opinions are like arseholes,everyone has one...

Well it seems like JV has a lot more than one opinion. What does that say about his anatomy then? :p :

Ian McC
25th February 2007, 21:57
Well it seems like JV has a lot more than one opinion. What does that say about his anatomy then? :p :

:rotflmao:

Roamy
26th February 2007, 02:19
yea being a WDC makes people seek your opinion. Much better than Ricardo Patrese or Berger for that matter. How is your Fav driver doing ??
All mouth and no WDC.

jso1985
26th February 2007, 02:52
yep but JV should realize his mouth is not gonna give him another WDC...

slinkster
26th February 2007, 11:57
It's just another guys opinion... one maybe that has slightly more of an inckling into what makes a better driver than say, myself... but that's all I take this as... a rather amusing opinion that's all. I actually enjoyed reading it... he was asked his opinion and he gave it... *shrugs*

Dave B
26th February 2007, 12:10
If JV had put as much effort into his driving as he does into his PR, he might have been a multiple champion. His opinion in interesting, but it's just that: one man's opinion.

revmeister
26th February 2007, 13:40
Maybe his opinions are just a little too close to the truth for the taste of his detractors.

revmeister
26th February 2007, 13:46
What did Villeneuve think F1 Racing Magazine were asking him for an interview about, home appliances :confused:

They might have been interested in LeMans, Nascar, possibility of a come-back, or any number of other topics related to a champion who has just left the series.

Anyhow, can anybody reasonably think that he doesn't have the right to talk to a world class racing magazine, when he still a racing career ahead of him?

Media exposure is a vital componet of any professional racer.

F1boat
26th February 2007, 13:56
Maybe his opinions are just a little too close to the truth for the taste of his detractors.
Really? Or is he just bitter that all these drivers are in F1, while he is searching a place in NASCAR Bush Series?

Big Ben
26th February 2007, 14:13
Those who can't stand him or don't care what he thinks shouldn't read the interview.
I don't think the fact that he s a wdc entitles him to have an opinion. IMHO I'm entitled to have an opinion too even though I would probably destroy a f1 car in the first corner.
Nobody is forced to agree with him.

Roamy
26th February 2007, 14:16
If JV had put as much effort into his driving as he does into his PR, he might have been a multiple champion. His opinion in interesting, but it's just that: one man's opinion.

Actually Brockman if JV's team principals put more effort in him THEY may have more wins and championships !!!

I would have liked to see MS and JV stay around till about 40 yrs old. We are either going to have paradesville or crashville this year. I make my call now - too much youth for the speed and technology.

SGWilko
26th February 2007, 14:26
I agree that drivers are more corporate today than ever before, but that's inevitable in a sport which survives on the financial input of multi-national, blue-chip companies.

Having said that, you can give me Kimi or Alonso over Villeneuve any day. Anyone who cares more about what drivers say in interviews than what they do behind the wheel is interested in the sport for the wrong reasons.

Oh, and Bagwan. I've been registed here for over 2 and a half years. All of the tiresome, unfunny 'Beans' jokes have already been made.

Oh, and Bagwan. I've been registed here for over 2 and a half years. All of the tiresome, unfunny 'Beans' jokes have already bean made

Bagwan
26th February 2007, 15:30
Oh, and Bagwan. I've been registed here for over 2 and a half years. All of the tiresome, unfunny 'Beans' jokes have already bean made

I've bean roasting beans daily for my coffee shop for a while now .

And , I have a comic strip called "I've bean thinking."

I have bean here since Feb 2001 , and I haven't heard them all yet .

It's funny how a character trait can make such a polarized public .

F1boat
26th February 2007, 19:18
Those who can't stand him or don't care what he thinks shouldn't read the interview.
I don't think the fact that he s a wdc entitles him to have an opinion. IMHO I'm entitled to have an opinion too even though I would probably destroy a f1 car in the first corner.
Nobody is forced to agree with him.
I can show my displeasure with his rude interviews, too.

Hazell B
26th February 2007, 21:14
But you can't just say 'no comment' when asked about Kimi in an interview supposed to get some answers from Villeneuve about... Kimi! That's ridiculus.

I was talking about the times he's been interviewed about his 'music' (can we call it that? :p : ) not specific F1 interviews. For the F1 stuff they just seem to print his snide remarks, adding nasty spin, when I guess he says loads of good stuff too.

BeansBeansBeans
26th February 2007, 23:02

Ironically, Jacques Villeneuve probably put less effort into his PR than any other top line driver of his generation. He famously disliked the corporate side of the sport and insisted on doing the bare minimum of promotional duties.

Roamy
26th February 2007, 23:18
I was talking about the times he's been interviewed about his 'music' (can we call it that? :p : ) not specific F1 interviews. For the F1 stuff they just seem to print his snide remarks, adding nasty spin, when I guess he says loads of good stuff too.

Hazel did you purchase his CD and not like it??

Bagwan
27th February 2007, 00:00
Ironically, Jacques Villeneuve probably put less effort into his PR than any other top line driver of his generation. He famously disliked the corporate side of the sport and insisted on doing the bare minimum of promotional duties.

And , "double dog" ironically , he's one of the most oft quoted .

Brockman would love to interview him .

wmcot
27th February 2007, 06:13
JV is like a modern comedian - more in it for the "shock" value than any real substance. Let him have his opinions and we can all either believe him or sit back and have a good laugh. Does anyone actually think any current F1 driver really cares what JV thinks of him?

JV should have had as much talent as he has opinions - HE might have been a 7 times WDC!!!! :)

ArrowsFA1
27th February 2007, 08:29
JV is like a modern comedian - more in it for the "shock" value than any real substance.
I disagree. The "shock" value comes from the headline writers who make the most (and more) of JV's opinions, and from those who don't rate him as a driver. Then there are those who don't actually read the article, and prefer to accept the "shock snapshot" of what he is supposed to have said.

JV himself doesn't waste time looking for headlines. If he has an opinion he'll give it honestly, and he'll stand by those opinions until they're proved wrong, as he has done in the case of Button, who he was dismissive of when they first became team-mates at BAR.

raphael123
27th February 2007, 10:26
What he says is probably no more offensive than what 95% of what people on here say about other drivers. I bet those people slating him off for expressing his opinion (yes - that is all he has done - he hasn't committed murder!) have said much worse things about drivers on this forum! Talk about being a hypocrite!

jens
27th February 2007, 20:54

DC will participate in the next elections. His election promise will be:
"Next year will be our year! Our state will become the leading power in the world!"

But I wonder whether Jacques hasn't thought about setting up his candidature in the next elections? :p :

What he says is probably no more offensive than what 95% of what people on here say about other drivers. I bet those people slating him off for expressing his opinion (yes - that is all he has done - he hasn't committed murder!) have said much worse things about drivers on this forum! Talk about being a hypocrite!

Spot on! ;)

Scuderia ferrari
27th February 2007, 22:16

Same with button and barrichello, so i don't see why you put them under hopless.

JV's for of wind. I'm board of his constant winges. Yeah, he seems like quite a nice guy, and yes, he was entertaning when he was around, but it's stuff like this that i go right off him.

pino
27th February 2007, 22:46
Same with button and barrichello, so i don't see why you put them under hopless.

I did what ? :s you must confuse me with somebody else, as I've never mentioned them in my posts :)

VresiBerba
28th February 2007, 00:54
They might have been interested in LeMans, Nascar, possibility of a come-back, or any number of other topics related to a champion who has just left the series.

I'm quite certain that Jacques knew that there would be questions about F1 when asked about an interview from F1 Racing Magazine, and to suggest anything else is just... uh, actually, what's yours and Bagwans point :confused:

wmcot
28th February 2007, 06:30
I disagree. The "shock" value comes from the headline writers who make the most (and more) of JV's opinions, and from those who don't rate him as a driver. Then there are those who don't actually read the article, and prefer to accept the "shock snapshot" of what he is supposed to have said.

JV himself doesn't waste time looking for headlines. If he has an opinion he'll give it honestly, and he'll stand by those opinions until they're proved wrong, as he has done in the case of Button, who he was dismissive of when they first became team-mates at BAR.

Well put! I have to agree with you. No matter what JV says, it doesn't mean a thing unless the press picks it up and flashes it in our face.

I missed the fact that the quotes were in F1 Racing. I read F1 Racing but I do consider it to often be tabloid journalism (especially in the off-season.) Matt Bishop seems to thrive on controversy. Still, the magazine does have a factual basis for its existance if you can read through the "blinders and bull."

wmcot
28th February 2007, 06:31
By the way...when can we expect this thread to be out in book form?

Bagwan
28th February 2007, 13:33
I'm quite certain that Jacques knew that there would be questions about F1 when asked about an interview from F1 Racing Magazine, and to suggest anything else is just... uh, actually, what's yours and Bagwans point :confused:

"I hated doing the interview as I had 2 choices .
Lie , and be politically correct (not possible , or believable ),
Or say what I think and be perceived as bitter , etc , and that was the first interview in months .
I'll keep speaking my mind ."-Jacques .

When JV is interviewed he is honest in his opinion .
He is right to think he would not be believable if he spoke any other way .

revmeister
28th February 2007, 13:48

I was responding to your earlier post...

"Originally Posted by VresiBerba
What did Villeneuve think F1 Racing Magazine were asking him for an interview about, home appliances"

The point is, that it's not likely that F1 Racing asked him to drop by and slag everyone in F1. There are many topics that could have been raised. But regardless, the man has a right to speak his mind, whether you like it or not.

Besides his comments have kept the boards lively while we await the F1 season. What other topic has done as well?

Hazell B
28th February 2007, 14:25
Hazel did you purchase his CD and not like it??

No!
Tone deaf I may be, but I ain't stupid too!

Roamy
28th February 2007, 14:37
great hazel

my icon don't work any more so i can only say lmaorof

VresiBerba
28th February 2007, 22:12
The point is, that it's not likely that F1 Racing asked him to drop by and slag everyone in F1. There are many topics that could have been raised. But regardless, the man has a right to speak his mind, whether you like it or not.

What makes you believe I don't like it :confused: I have even stated, albeit not in this particular thread, that I agree with what Villeneuve said. That, however, does not mean he was forced, tricked, goaded into "slagging" drivers (your words), but that he was simply asked what he thinks. Why are you two banging on my door, I'm on your side for crying out loud!