PDA

View Full Version : Richmond race - advice needed

Rolandas
8th June 2009, 21:01
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, it's been awhile since I've frequented these boards.

I'm planning to attend the Richmond race for the first time and take kids with me and I'm tempted by their general admission tickets where kids get in for free. But I can't find any info as to what parts of the track and/or grandstands are open for general admission - does anyone here know? Which locations are the best? I'm guessing that with GA I'd need to show up early to get a good spot, is 3-4 hours before the race early enough? And any other advice about RIR and the race would be very welcome too. Thanks!

Hoss Ghoul
11th June 2009, 03:46
Most of the grandstands are open as General Admission. I believe some of the front stretch, particularly towards turn 1 is reserved. I prefer to sit halfway up or so in Turn 4 towards the exit of the corner, lots of action there and still a decent pit view.

I've shown up before and paid $5 a ticket from NASCAR fans scalping in the parking lot. It's a good time and the crowd is usually about 40K or so, so traffic leaving isn't too bad. No need to show up early either, they will have about half of the 120K seats or so open and you will have plenty of room.

Good luck.

Oh, and I'm sure the track website will list which sections are open for GA.

Mark in Oshawa
11th June 2009, 22:01
Geeze...you guys have me thinking I should get down there for this race.

If my dispatcher would be so inclined to send me to one of our regular customers down that way for Monday..mmmmmmm

disko
12th June 2009, 22:12
If you can park in the lot behind the track, go for it. It took us 15 minutes to get from the track back to the marriot last year. Just awesome.

Not sure on the GA, but the tower seats, front grandstand and 1st turn are reserved. Almost any seat is good, just get in the upper half. You can walk around the infield, and if you get over before the end of the race you can get right outside winners circle.

Note: There is a lot of sun glare on the front strech until the sun sets, and it was really warm last year. The sun sets in turn 3.

nigelred5
15th June 2009, 15:21
Buy the cheapest seats you can and then move around. There's so many seats at Richmond, it's not a problem sitting somewhere with a good view. I like sitting between the last turn and S/F for any event at Richmond like where Hoss Goul said which should still be GA areas. The place is small, and from midway up in the grandstands, the views are all pretty good without a NASCAR sized crowd.