View Full Version : Renault not fast enough

ioan
16th February 2007, 13:43
At least that's what they say:

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38492

ArrowsFA1
16th February 2007, 14:26
And I suspect ITV got their story from this Autosport Q&A with Pat Symonds:

Q. Are you worried about the car's performance at the moment?
PS: No, we are not worried, but when you are not on top of the pile, then you have to be honest enough to admit it – and knuckle down to try and find the speed. From what we have seen so far, we seem to be several tenths away from the fastest runners in most conditions – on the first lap, and the long runs too. We know what we want to do to find the performance: we need to start getting the most out of the tyres, and push even harder on all our traditional development paths. And we are working bloody hard at it.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56788

Usual story for this time of year.

16th February 2007, 16:39
"We know what we want to do to find the performance"

Yes, but Fernando isn't coming back, Kimi's at Ferrari and Michael's retired.

blakebeatty
16th February 2007, 17:02

hahaha yeah.

heikki will be amazing when he gets enough kilometers under his seat.

and certainly of all of the new chassis, the renault is the most radical

GridGirl
16th February 2007, 17:16
I wouldn't say being slow right now is a major factor in the championship as a whole. Being competitive is more of an issue for me, as we've often seen teams improve vastly over the season. Just look at how many times Ferrari have come back from having a pretty poor car at the start of the season over the last few years.

samuratt
16th February 2007, 17:27

hahahahhahaha :D

very good one mate! :up:

ClarkFan
16th February 2007, 19:51

:laugh:

That is the problem, isn't it?

ClarkFan

RJL25
17th February 2007, 01:10
im not concerned about the renault, i think it'll be fast. But fisi will be as inconsistent as ever and heikki, however talented, will make mistakes as all rookies do and wont come good till next season.

2007 won't be a good year for renault, but it wont be because of the car

jens
17th February 2007, 21:52
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/02/17/renault_struggling_for_single_lap_pace/

So. If Renault is not shining on one lap at winter tests, then according to this article they should be competitive over the full race distance.

Ian McC
18th February 2007, 11:21
Usual story for this time of year.

Yep, testing does give out a fair amount of rubbish.

Geecee27
18th February 2007, 18:16
testing means nothing, i seem to remember a prost topping a test by a few seconds one year, dont remember them carrying that from into a season though....

F1boat
18th February 2007, 22:11
And Arrows was much the same in 1999. Still, it was obvious that they have...modified cars, because they were searching for sponsors.

futuretiger9
19th February 2007, 21:35
I would expect Renault to be pretty consistent over long runs, and also reliable, rather than showing the blistering speed to be expected from McLaren and Ferrari. They should be OK.

Sleeper
19th February 2007, 22:22
and certainly of all of the new chassis, the renault is the most radical

How do you figure that one out? Except for the repositioning of the mirrors, I havnt seen or heard anything about it being radical. Honda and Red Bull have tacken much bigger risks in the development of their new cars.

As for Renaults speed, I'ts possible that they are sandbagging as there not known as a teamthat goes all out in testing, plus Pat Symonds has said that they are having trouble getting the car to work on Bridgestones. We'll see how it goes come Melbourne.

futuretiger9
20th February 2007, 22:51
Renault have plenty of resources and engineering know-how, and they will hope to develop and progress the car as the season goes on. Will they miss the energy and driving force of Alonso?

ioan
21st February 2007, 09:18
Will they miss the energy and driving force of Alonso?

No, just his bad comments! :D