PDA

View Full Version : What Now For 2009?

555-04Q2
8th June 2009, 11:55
We have another 88, 02 and 04 season on our hands. The Brawn is still untouchable and Button has now equalled the record of 6 wins in the first 7 races.

If this is the new improved F1 we were promised, they lied, its just more of the same :(

Kudos to Button and Brawn for cleaning up the field, they look set for a double sweep of the silverware this season.

Anyone for MotoGP :p :

F1boat
8th June 2009, 12:14
As I said, I enjoy sometimes dominating champions. I hope that Button will win as convincingly as possible.

Garry Walker
8th June 2009, 12:30
Button is being made look good by the fact that his main rival is Vettel - the guy who cant keep it on the road.
Put Kimi, Massa, Alonso or even Hamilton in that RB and suddenly Brawn wouldnt be winning so much.

Mark
8th June 2009, 12:31
This year has been a flook, a very unusual set of circumstanaces leading to one team becoming dominant.

Basically Brawn interpreted the rules in a much better way than everyone else, and are reaping the benefits, it's not just the double diffuser it's everything else on the car that helps it work.

MrJan
8th June 2009, 12:35
While the Championship isn't that hot I still find more excitement race by race than I did last year. The is now the odd overtaking move and the KERS system (regardless of what your opinion is on it) can improve the dice between 2 cars, the Heikki/Rubens half a lap or so was quite good to watch.

ioan
8th June 2009, 13:09
I think this kind of scenario could have happened even if the rules had not changed.

Not even 1% chance for that.

ioan
8th June 2009, 13:11
This year has been a flook, a very unusual set of circumstanaces leading to one team becoming dominant.

Basically Brawn interpreted the rules in a much better way than everyone else, and are reaping the benefits, it's not just the double diffuser it's everything else on the car that helps it work.

Yeah, the whole car was designed around the DD diffuser and that is where the difference comes from.

The chasing pack is trying to accommodate the DD diffuser as well as possible on a chassis not designed for it, therein lies the difference. And maybe the fact that the Honda is the most expensive and most tested F1 car ever also has something to do with it.

stevie_gerrard
8th June 2009, 13:37
There seesm to be more fighting down the grid compared to previous seasons, it won't be long before Jenson starts retiring and we will see more competitors near the front. Hopefully, it will be before the title race is over, but things looking good for him at the moment.

P.S. If Rubens can retire his car, then surely the gremlins will start on Button's soon :p :

ioan
8th June 2009, 13:50
There seesm to be more fighting down the grid compared to previous seasons, it won't be long before Jenson starts retiring and we will see more competitors near the front. Hopefully, it will be before the title race is over, but things looking good for him at the moment.

P.S. If Rubens can retire his car, then surely the gremlins will start on Button's soon :p :

I think that Brawn will run Jenson one one or two race engines until the championship is theirs , which will be soon, and than we might see some failures, but that's still no consolation.

ioan
8th June 2009, 13:55
The first point I agree with, but does anyone actually know for sure how much Brawn GP's cars costed to develop. I must admit though, I was under the impression that they had done very little pre-season testing. I seem to remember them only attending 2 testing sessions in February of this year whereas all the other teams had attended various sessions dating back to early December. Are there private testing sessions Brawn GP attended that we do not know about?? :confused:

They were testing various components of this chassis already last year.
There were articles in the written press about how this car did cost more than the any of the others on the grid, they basically had the right to spend as much as they wanted.

truefan72
8th June 2009, 17:23
There seesm to be more fighting down the grid compared to previous seasons,

That's an absolute whopper of a statement SG!

Last year there were way more mid pack battles than this year. I can;t name one midpack fight this year at all. The cars seem to be spread out by comfortable margins and while rubens does his best in a superfast car to makeup for his race-start woes, the Turkish race was decidedly unspectacular.
And this has been the trend in 2009. We have gone back to pit stop strategy as the main decider of position movements.

Please adequately compare 2008 with 2009 and you will see a massive difference in both the parity and entertainment value of the races. As I recall there was plenty of passing last year and many good battles up and down the grid.

Please name me some of the midpack fights that you claim occured.

it won't be long before Jenson starts retiring and we will see more competitors near the front. Hopefully, it will be before the title race is over, but things looking good for him at the moment.

well, counting on the top guys failure in races as the modicum for closer races speaks volumes to how the 2009 season is going. I would rather have 2008 where 5 different teams won F1 races on their own merits rather than a team other than Brawn GP lucking inot a win because button or Barrichello's car encounters a mishap.

Cooper_S
8th June 2009, 18:48
with McLaren, Renault and Red Bull practically if not actually declaring 2009 campaigns over leaving Ferrari, Toyota and Williams as the only (realistic)undeclared chasing teams it is fair to say 2009 is all but over as regards who will be crowned Champions...

I was (and am) a big Schumacher fan so his dominance never bothered me in the slightest... and as it happens while I am not as big a fan when it comes to Jenson and Brawn GP, I have been quite happy to see them romp away this season... to be any less would be hypocritical

Sarah
8th June 2009, 19:13
Bernie's thoughts at the weekend...

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/106191/Mixed-feelings-for-Ecclestone

Triumph
8th June 2009, 20:44
I hope things carry on as they are, except that I'd like to see Lewis Hamilton in a better car.

Apart from that it I think it's a great season so far.

DexDexter
8th June 2009, 20:50
Apart from that it I think it's a great season so far.

You're one in a million.

Triumph
8th June 2009, 20:55
You're one in a million.

So I keep hearing! :p

Wasted Talent
8th June 2009, 21:12
You're one in a million.

Well I make it at least 2 in a million

WT

Knock-on
10th June 2009, 14:13
Well I make it at least 2 in a million

WT

Me too, me too!!!!!

Looks like Triumph is only 1:333,333 and poor old Dexy's hit the Runners at a 666,667 loss :D