PDA

View Full Version : Let Ferrari leave, we can re-name it...

jso1985
8th June 2009, 01:50
Maybe it's just me, but all these new wannabe teams are total idiots in my opinion.

First I truly believe that if you can't afford F1 you shouldn't be there and stupid budget rules shouldn't be theree to help you, but that's another topic...

What I think is stupid now, is that they want to take former glorious names and pretend they are a former glorious team...

Litespeed or however they are named should be Litespeed not Lotus or anything else, Lotus didn't rename itself "Auto-Union" when they started isn't it?

same applies to "Brabham" and "March", only Mosley should be allowed to use that name on a team, same for Brabham and the Brabham family

V12
10th June 2009, 19:19
I agree with your sentiment, but technically the guy who is planning on entering as March, as far as I know had the rights to that name the last time they entered in 1992, Mosley hadn't had anything to do with March for a long time. And in any case he was one of only four partners.

Brabham too - I disagree with the use of this name more but really Jack Brabham had nothing to do with Brabham from 1971 onwards. Tauranac bought him out then he in turn flogged the whole thing to Bernie. Although I agree that any "Brabham" entry would just be in plain bad taste if it didn't at least have the family's blessing, if not involvement.

Lotus...well I agreed with what you said just there on another thread, although I believe I used Sunbeam as an example rather than Auto Union, but yeah. Litespeed as an established team should seek to enter in their own name and build their own legacy. There was a time you could have said "Ferrari" or "Lotus" to motorsport enthusiasts and they'd have gone "what?!". Brawn are fast becoming an established and well known name and they didn't even exist in February.