PDA

View Full Version : FOTA drop KERS for 2010

christophulus
7th June 2009, 21:08
..provided they're still in F1, of course!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75945

The Formula One Teams' Association is pushing for the sport to abandon KERS entirely next year, after agreeing that the technology should be dropped as it is now too expensive.

Following a limited take-up of the energy recovery device for 2009, members of the teams' organisation have voted in favour of abandoning it entirely next year on money grounds.

While the move has not been universally welcomed, with BMW Sauber in particular once again keen for it to be retained, the majority decision by FOTA means that the move has now been put into action.
Interesting to see BMW still supporting it after abandoning it this year. Makes sense to put it to one side for a couple of years until it becomes a bit more practical/affordable.

Sonic
7th June 2009, 21:14
*slow hand claps*

Genius! "Being dropped on money saving grounds". Strikes me as closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. How many millions have they already poured into these systems???

The only problem with KERS was the stupid artificial limit to its use. It could have/should have been more open and made it a technical challenge.

ArrowsFA1
7th June 2009, 21:35
KERS was Max's baby. The man who supposedly has wanted to reduce costs for years. Like his budget cap idea it introduced a two-tier F1, with the added "benefit" of costing a fortune to develop.

Sure, FOTA's decision is rather like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted but it was Max's stable, he opened the door, and he drove the horses out.

K-Pu
7th June 2009, 23:14
Expensive and no one uses it...

Well, you donīt have to be a genius to see that itīs a total failure. Forcing to use it when you want a low cost Formula is like... like... Bah!

Anyway, FOTAīs statement could be (a very big COULD) a sign of their willingness to enter next season, even if some of them pull out (Toyota, Renault...). And, as you said, itīs Maxīs fault. But donīt say a word! If you want to speak about Maxīs F1 you should create your own series!

gloomyDAY
8th June 2009, 02:01
Thank goodness! Reminded me of CCWS.

KERS really cheapened (in terms of value) F1.

call_me_andrew
8th June 2009, 02:12
Thank goodness! Reminded me of CCWS.

KERS really cheapened (in terms of value) F1.

You mean like that power to pass thing? All F1 teams have a power to pass feature on their engine, but unlike KERS and Champ Car, they don't publicise when it's being used.

airshifter
8th June 2009, 03:47
You mean like that power to pass thing? All F1 teams have a power to pass feature on their engine, but unlike KERS and Champ Car, they don't publicise when it's being used.

I don't know of any team using the extra revs for a "push to pass" system in F1, since the rev limits are mandated. Before that point a few teams would allow the normal limit to be exceeded at times, but even then it wasn't often.

wmcot
8th June 2009, 06:49
KERS was Max's baby. The man who supposedly has wanted to reduce costs for years. Like his budget cap idea it introduced a two-tier F1, with the added "benefit" of costing a fortune to develop.

Sure, FOTA's decision is rather like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted but it was Max's stable, he opened the door, and he drove the horses out.

And Max's next "cost cutting" measure will be to do away with the internal combustion engine and enlarge KERS so it provides the entire drive for the cars. No more fuel stops (you might see battery stops!) and F1 will be as green as possible. Hmm...I wonder if they'll let the teams charge the batteries in parc ferme or if the teams will have to start the race with their "race charge?"

christophulus
8th June 2009, 10:14
I'm sure there's a way it can be adapted to deliver a constant, smaller boost. With the weight limit increasing it becomes more feasible, helps the "green" credentials and reduces the amount of fuel they have to drag around next year. McLaren have a fully working system which they could sell on.

Maybe we'll see a return in a couple of years once it has been properly thought out..

Garry Walker
8th June 2009, 12:50
Great cost-cutting idea!!!

ioan
8th June 2009, 13:24
Great cost-cutting idea!!!

It will certainly be exactly that for all those who didn't bother developing it.

ioan
8th June 2009, 13:26
I think this move is a slap in Max's face given how he was the one who pushed so much for KERS to be introduced already in 2009 instead of 2012 as previously agreed by the teams.

Somebody
8th June 2009, 14:46
I don't know of any team using the extra revs for a "push to pass" system in F1, since the rev limits are mandated. Before that point a few teams would allow the normal limit to be exceeded at times, but even then it wasn't often.

A team radio message, where Barrichello got a message to boost his power to try and overtake, was broadcast in Australia.

V12
8th June 2009, 15:09
Well I'd rather they drop it than mandating a standard system (which would be pointless!)

I also agree that it shouldn't have been limited, they should be allowed to use as much power as they are able to harness for as long as they want. By all means specify a maximum storage capacity (in the same way that you have a maximum displacement capacity for the engine) but none of this "only use it for 6.756754623531249569409zzw34q4 seconds per lap" nonsense.

I was always brought up to believe that you should either do something properly, or not at all. But the FIA sure do love their half-measures.

Sleeper
8th June 2009, 15:57
The teams have what some call an overtake button on the steering wheel, which runs the engine on a full rich mixture for a limited time before switching back to the previous engine map they were running in to conserve fuel/parts.

emporer_k
8th June 2009, 18:17
KERs was a nice idea but it's implementation has been awful.

I agree with those who say that ther shouldnt be a limit on KERS use either in terms oftime or power.

Can't help but wander just how how much money has been wasted developing KERS

wmcot
9th June 2009, 07:38
Can't help but wander just how how much money has been wasted developing KERS

More than the 45 million budget cap! Thanks again, Max.

jens
9th June 2009, 10:28
So with a breakaway series we would see KERS in F1 in 2010, but no KERS in FOTA-series in 2010? Would be quite a funny comparison. :) But anyway, good news IMO. In current climate, where both FIA and FOTA are in their very different way trying to keep costs down, KERS added very little, creating a lot of expenditure for many teams without any real benefit.

christophulus
20th August 2009, 19:10
Teams confirm they won't use KERS next year, despite it being in the regulations...

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/08/20/f1-teams-abandon-kers-2010/

...all except one, that is. Williams or McLaren gets my vote!

schmenke
20th August 2009, 19:35
KERs was a nice idea but it's implementation has been awful...

Because it was implimented purely as a push-to-pass gimmick, which failed :s