PDA

View Full Version : Why I Like Button

mstillhere
6th June 2009, 19:17
Hi everyone,

I was reading today an interview about Button and noticed how in the article he had words of praise for Vettel's pole.

I have to say that that's something rare to see in the F1 world. Often times it's only megalomania or selfishness that we see and I think Button's chivalry needs to be recognized.

I remember years ago I went to the Montreal GP and saw Button, out of all the drivers sitting in their garages, taking the time to walk towards the F1 fans standing in front of his garage and taking a bow.

I thought that was extremely classy and very old school. Since that day I thought that God had been not too generous with him.

This year, despite his immediate and constant successes he is keeping his feet on the ground, not letting his success getting to his head. He does what he does in the most professional way not forgetting what it feels like when you are racing way in the back with a car that's super slow and unreliable.

I only have to say "bravo" to him and I think he truly deserves having finally lady luck standing by his side this year. What a guy!!!!!!!

I sure wish him success (this year only though) :) .

Roamy
6th June 2009, 19:36
God has not been generous to him. Put down the Bong and check his pay stub!! Or maybe you work on Wall Street

6th June 2009, 20:04
Got to say that I agree with the sentiments of the first post....he may have been distracted by the 'playboy' lifestyle, and he may have missed a couple of opportunities to get better results earlier in his career, but the fact is that he has remained unaffected and has not succumbed to the obnoxious arrogance of a certain British driver I could care to mention, who, ironically, is now having a crash course in humility forced down his throat.

yodasarmpit
6th June 2009, 21:19
Got to say that I agree with the sentiments of the first post....he may have been distracted by the 'playboy' lifestyle, and he may have missed a couple of opportunities to get better results earlier in his career, but the fact is that he has remained unaffected and has not succumbed to the obnoxious arrogance of a certain British driver I could care to mention, who, ironically, is now having a crash course in humility forced down his throat.
Well put.

Triumph
6th June 2009, 22:10
Yes, well put.

It's always pleasing to discover that the drivers you support are nice people in real life and not just good racers.

:-)

mstillhere
7th June 2009, 00:11
God has not been generous to him. Put down the Bong and check his pay stub!! Or maybe you work on Wall Street

Humm.......humm....actually......hum...at this time nobody works on Wall street....there are a few volunteers there and they love people, especially tax payers :)

Of course the guy has never starved but what I am trying to say is that he's not one of those guys who after only a year in the profession they are already talking like they are the gift of God on earth.

True, he makes good money, but as I said his feet are still on the ground and as a fan he sure shows appreciation when you are there.

CNR
7th June 2009, 00:48
it is good to see that he is showing what they said he would do when he first entered f1 only 8 years late.

A rethink about lewis is needed

Tazio
7th June 2009, 09:41
He is winning in F1, and he doesn't talk $hit!
Good on JB :up:

jens
7th June 2009, 10:48
It's interesting that both current top contenders of Vettel and Button seem to have quite a healthy rivalry. Reminds a bit of Häkkinen vs Schumacher, who both seemed to honour each other as well. Just watch the 2000 Belgian GP press conference. :)

Sonic
7th June 2009, 12:04
I've never much liked Button (and at times during his f1 career I have positively disliked him) but there is no denying that he has matured well as both a man (standing by his team/taking a pay cut) and as a driver.

I didn't cheer when Hamilton lifted the title but perhaps will if Button does.

markabilly
7th June 2009, 13:29
button has some class that lewis could learn from but since lewis never ever does anything wrong as he is perfect (don't beleive me, just ask him), then there really is no need for him to learn

i think button figured out something that the others are clueless, it is the common fan and not the rich snot sponsors like that queer who runs unvirgin that keeps the sport going..........

jeffmr2
7th June 2009, 13:42
I have about a dozen f1 friends and we all agree Button is a really arrogant, cocky person.He'll be one of the worst world champions in f1,he's just an average driver in a superior car.
I guess we are all different,so no offence meant to Button fans.

wedge
7th June 2009, 15:02

Yep, another silly excuse to pick on Golden Boy who is barely out of nappies in F1 terms whilst Button has been in F1 for nearly 10 years.

Button had to learn the ropes, just as Lewis is now praising good luck to the front runners just before the race, wants the team to make small known steps instead of large steps unknown steps for Silverstone.

Remember 2005 Malaysian GP where both Hondas blew up in the early laps and Button ran straight to the media heavily criticising Honda because it "wasn't good enough" the engines could barelly do a number of laps; second highest paid driver to Schumi despite not winning a race let alone challenge for WDC; tried to join Williams again behind Dave Richards back and made a dog mess of it; and, for a moment, was more worried about his supply of condoms and what to buy with his new pocket money than wondering how to drive a Benetton.

F1boat
7th June 2009, 15:12
Jenson is a cool dude and a great driver. Best luck to him!

Bradley
7th June 2009, 18:58

You have my vote for the post of the year :)

Garry Walker
8th June 2009, 12:56
It's interesting that both current top contenders of Vettel and Button seem to have quite a healthy rivalry. Reminds a bit of Häkkinen vs Schumacher, who both seemed to honour each other as well. Just watch the 2000 Belgian GP press conference. :)

Except Vettel and Button are both jokes compared to Häkkinen and Schumacher.

I myself prefer a heated rivalry (prost vs Senna) over friendy rivalry.

BeansBeansBeans
8th June 2009, 12:59
I find Button's relaxed demeanour on the grid quite refreshing. Most drivers seem (understandably) very tense and wound-up, but Jense is laughing and joking. I thought it'd disappear once he had the pressure of running up the front, but it hasn't.

Garry Walker
8th June 2009, 13:05
I find Button's relaxed demeanour on the grid quite refreshing. Most drivers seem (understandably) very tense and wound-up, but Jense is laughing and joking. I thought it'd disappear once he had the pressure of running up the front, but it hasn't.

wouldnt you also be laughing all the time if you knew your main rival was Vettel?

MrJan
8th June 2009, 13:05
I have about a dozen f1 friends and we all agree Button is a really arrogant, cocky person.He'll be one of the worst world champions in f1,he's just an average driver in a superior car.
I guess we are all different,so no offence meant to Button fans.

:laugh: :laugh: Hmmm, nice post but you're sort of wrong, and when I say 'sort of' I mean completely.

Jenson is better than an average driver, Rubens is an average driver and he's consistently being beaten. Jenson has also spent years beating other team mates (including WDC JV) and has one of the smoothest driving styles in the sport.

And I really can't see how you can call him arrogant. Maybe back when he entered the sport but he has a real humility and will always have time to talk to interviewers on the grid. I think that you and your F1 friends really need to take a step back and pay attention to the sport because Button is one of the good guys :)

wedge
8th June 2009, 13:08

Probably will be a different story when he's on the backfoot.

Vettel is supposedly nice and refreshing but he's just criticised the RB's 3-stopper so that makes him normal F1 driver.

Chaparral66
8th June 2009, 15:20
Who was it who said that Jenson Button "will never win another Formula 1 race"?

wedge
8th June 2009, 16:11
I agree, although only Lewis Hamilton seems to get bashed when he mentions a fault with his team from his perspective. Vettel, Alonso, Heidfeld, Barrichello and Kubica have all given interviews this year and questioned their teams progress or judgement. This is nothing new in the world of racing and is only natural when seeking results. Hamilton mentions that his team haven't given him a good enough car (which is obvious to anyone watching), and he is accused of not being as team player :confused: ... It all boils down to driver popularity, and some drivers can get away with saying things other drivers can't IMO.... :)

Racing drivers are naturally selfish to some extent.

People look on the '60s as the gentleman era glory days but in his autobiography Jackie Stewart mentioned Jim Clark had 'dark'/ throwing toys out the pram moments. JYS used to seek advice from Clark but when Clark noticed just how good and a threat his friend had become, Clark would go in a mood and not talk to JYS for days.

BeansBeansBeans
8th June 2009, 16:13

I think most of us, at some point, must've felt that Jenson's time had passed.

I've always backed him, but after 2008 and the dark days of last winter, I thought it was over for him.

Cooper_S
8th June 2009, 18:42

I am sure in the past I would have been guilty of such comment... in fairness it was based upon the state of his team at the time, I for one an more than happy to be proven wrong, feeling vindicated in part by the superior Brawn this season