PDA

View Full Version : the IRL should hire Sarahs PR folks

SarahFan
4th June 2009, 15:53
http://www.texasmotorspeedway.com/blogs/news/archive/2009/06/03/indycar-series-driver-owner-sarah-fisher-throw-out-ceremonial-first-pitch-at-oklahoma-redhawks-game.aspx

Sarah is daBOMB!

heres to a good run this weekend!!!!

SarahFan
4th June 2009, 15:57
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/columnists/david_thomas/story/1413394.html

SarahFan
4th June 2009, 15:59
http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14152&Itemid=219

DavePI2
5th June 2009, 00:27
go sarah go

indycool
6th June 2009, 22:27
Sarah is building solid support and has added a couple races to her schedule for '09. In addition, she is doing a number of TV ads for AAA in Indianapolis as well as other firms. Slow and steady growth and I wish her the best, she's working pretty hard at it.

SarahFan
7th June 2009, 15:23
if i was Sarah, SFR and/or Dollar general I'd be more than a little disapointed in last nights coverage....

something clearly happened on the first pitstop....she lost 4 laps...

and they missed it entirely

garyshell
7th June 2009, 15:44
I wondered what happened too. All of the sudden she was four laps down and not a single mention. Disappointing from the versus team.

Gary

SarahFan
7th June 2009, 15:46
I wondered what happened too. All of the sudden she was four laps down and not a single mention. Disappointing from the versus team.

Gary

gearbox trouble.....

garyshell
7th June 2009, 18:22
gearbox trouble.....

Thanks Ken.

Gary

anthonyvop
8th June 2009, 00:16
http://www.texasmotorspeedway.com/blogs/news/archive/2009/06/03/indycar-series-driver-owner-sarah-fisher-throw-out-ceremonial-first-pitch-at-oklahoma-redhawks-game.aspx

Sarah is daBOMB!

heres to a good run this weekend!!!!
Really?

Throwing out the 1st pitch at a Minor league Baseball game in Ok is a P.R. coup?

SarahFan
8th June 2009, 00:27
Really?

Throwing out the 1st pitch at a Minor league Baseball game in Ok is a P.R. coup?

more than AJ the fourth or Jaques Lazier is getting done...

plus the daily shoe... price is right....

not bad for a mid pack racer trying to make a go of it with her own team...

indycool
8th June 2009, 01:10
No, anthony, it is not a PR "coup." But it IS part of the overall exposure package which every organization, sports or otherwise,employs. Some hits are popups, singles, doubles, triples and home runs. Snuffle as you desire.

IMSA
8th June 2009, 02:16
Most of her PR pieces are set up by the IRL PR dept.

SarahFan
8th June 2009, 02:25

seriosly?

anthonyvop
8th June 2009, 02:36
Exactly. Pretty standard stuff.
Here in South Florida they use to get drivers like Helio to head to the Tennis center before the Ericsson open and hit the ball with some Tennis pros or Swim with Dolphins at the Seaquarium.

NickFalzone
8th June 2009, 02:46
Her PR rep is Klint, he sets up a ton of stuff for her and I briefly worked with him on a tv interview a year ago. I don't know how much or how little the IRL is involved, but I'd imagine that the IRL has 24 something drivers or so this season and I doubt that they'd throw every good opportunity at Sarah Fisher. She's done more PR by far in the last few months. Yes, she likes doing it, and needs to do it for her team, but there are many other hungry drivers and teams out there that would like the same opportunities. So no, I don't think it's fair to say the IRL PR is the one burning up the phones here.

SarahFan
8th June 2009, 02:56
Her PR rep is Klint, he sets up a ton of stuff for her and I briefly worked with him on a tv interview a year ago. I don't know how much or how little the IRL is involved, but I'd imagine that the IRL has 24 something drivers or so this season and I doubt that they'd throw every good opportunity at Sarah Fisher. She's done more PR by far in the last few months. Yes, she likes doing it, and needs to do it for her team, but there are many other hungry drivers and teams out there that would like the same opportunities. So no, I don't think it's fair to say the IRL PR is the one burning up the phones here.

kind of my take also...

if the IRL is in charge why is Sarah making all the appearances?

NickFalzone
8th June 2009, 03:08
Thinking about it, has Sarah really done more PR than Danica? That's hard to believe, but at least on my count she's done bigger and more appearances than Danica. Then again, any appearances Danica makes outside of a race car make my eyes glaze over and I quickly avoid them.

SarahFan
8th June 2009, 03:20
Thinking about it, has Sarah really done more PR than Danica? That's hard to believe, but at least on my count she's done bigger and more appearances than Danica. Then again, any appearances Danica makes outside of a race car make my eyes glaze over and I quickly avoid them.

danica and helio are certainly more visable....

then there was the field of 33 in NY.... and the front row on Jimmy Fallon....

but that's about it....

Maybe Helio is/was too busy to line up for stuff.... and Danica likely justs says no......maybe Sarah is the next most marketable....shes certainly been doing a good job....

anthonyvop
8th June 2009, 04:19
Maybe Helio is/was too busy to line up for stuff....
Drivers like Helio do "dancing with the stars" and Letterman. Drivers like Fisher do minor league Baseball games.

SarahFan
8th June 2009, 04:24
Drivers like Helio do "dancing with the stars" and Letterman. Drivers like Fisher do minor league Baseball games.

What do drivers like graham and marco do?

indycool
8th June 2009, 10:55
anthony, a few basics: You have team PR reps, sponsor PR reps and IRL PR reps. Any or all can be involved in scheduling a single appearance. Pointing at one or another for a specific item, chances are, you'd be wrong.

garyshell
8th June 2009, 15:41
Really?

Other than you, mister everything is negative, who said it was coup. It was a smart move, if it brought attention to her sponsor in a place where her sponsor wanted some attention.

Gary

garyshell
8th June 2009, 15:45

And your point would be? Sarah is a mid pack racer running her own team. So where is the big surprise in her doing midpack PR events? What are you expecting from her?

Gary

anthonyvop
8th June 2009, 20:57
anthony, a few basics: You have team PR reps, sponsor PR reps and IRL PR reps. Any or all can be involved in scheduling a single appearance. Pointing at one or another for a specific item, chances are, you'd be wrong.

OMG. Really? Thanks for telling me.

Any other tidbits of info you care to regale us with like the "Sky is blue" or "Water is wet"?

indycool
8th June 2009, 22:29
If you read your posts, you would not realize you were aware of these things.

anthonyvop
9th June 2009, 02:13
If you read your posts, you would not realize you were aware of these things.

You don't wanna kno what I think when i read your posts.

The funny thing is people like you say I am all doom and Gloom but yet the IRL continues to spiral down.

garyshell
9th June 2009, 03:32
You don't wanna kno what I think when i read your posts.

The funny thing is people like you say I am all doom and Gloom but yet the IRL continues to spiral down.

I said it, not IC. And I continue to say it. Regardless of what anyone remotely connected with the IRL does you are among the first to dump on it.

Gary

SarahFan
9th June 2009, 03:56
dont care what other folk think....

Sarah is the bees knees in my book.....

SarahFan
9th June 2009, 04:01
"We had a major electrical failure," said Fisher, who started from the 14th position under the stars at Texas Motor Speedway (TMS). "The car would not get to neutral so our first pit stop was thrown to the wind. The rest of the night was really difficult as we had to leave the car in 2nd gear and rely on the clutch during pit stops."

But the race wasn't over yet for Fisher. Her remaining four pit stops were flawless, giving her the opportunity to stay in the fight. Fisher, then, gained two positions and, through pit strategy and perseverance, she finished the race in the 17th position, despite her bad luck.

In Fisher's 10th trip to TMS, she spent the first 50 laps battling with the race's 9th place finisher, Vision Racing's Ed Carpenter.

"The Dollar General Car is a great car," added Fisher. "Had we not had the electrical failure, we could have really done something with it tonight."

SarahFan
9th June 2009, 04:21
http://thescore.ibj.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/fisher1.jpg

SarahFan
9th June 2009, 04:23
http://pressdog.typepad.com/dogblog/images/2008/04/30/sarah_white_small_3.jpg

Mark in Oshawa
10th June 2009, 20:55
Gotta like Sarah. I have more faith in people like her who are in racing for the love of it rather than the money or fame (hello.......can you think of whom I am thinking?)

So she tossed the ball out at a minor league game. Still beats no publicity. It would do the IRL good if all the drivers did the minor stuff as well as the bigger events. It all has to start somewhere.

anthonyvop
13th June 2009, 00:44
I said it, not IC. And I continue to say it. Regardless of what anyone remotely connected with the IRL does you are among the first to dump on it.

Gary
Has the IRL done anything in the past 5 or 6 years that had a positive influence on it's popularity?

As soon as they do something right I will be the first to voice approval.

garyshell
13th June 2009, 05:50

Uh, huh, sure. If you say so.

Gary

beachbum
13th June 2009, 12:01
Has the IRL done anything in the past 5 or 6 years that had a positive influence on it's popularity?

As soon as they do something right I will be the first to voice approval.I love a positive attitude.

I think some people will never be happy until the IRL looks just like a previous series that no longer exits. To paraphrase Dr McCoy - "it's dead, Jim." Get over it.

indycool
13th June 2009, 18:35
What Gary said.......the regulars on the board know anthony's direction.

peasant
13th June 2009, 21:19

Just like they know yours of course

garyshell
14th June 2009, 01:22

Just like they know yours of course

Or mine.

Was anyone talking about IC or his "direction" in this discussion? No, this was about a comment I made in response to anthony. Period. Anthony attributed my comment to IC and I responded correcting anthony's assertion that IC had made the comment. IC, instead of responding himself merely backed up what I said to anthony. There never was a reason to drag IC into this.

Gary

peasant
14th June 2009, 02:47
Or mine.

Was anyone talking about IC or his "direction" in this discussion? No, this was about a comment I made in response to anthony. Period. Anthony attributed my comment to IC and I responded correcting anthony's assertion that IC had made the comment. IC, instead of responding himself merely backed up what I said to anthony. There never was a reason to drag IC into this.

Gary

get real mate. Anybody who's been around the various forums for a while knows who Indycool is, that post of his was hypocritical in the extreme. Why are you defending him?

beachbum
14th June 2009, 03:09
get real mate. Anybody who's been around the various forums for a while knows who Indycool is, that post of his was hypocritical in the extreme. Why are you defending him?Perhaps because people here agree with him?

anthonyvop
14th June 2009, 04:19
Lets get really.

Is anybody here totally happy with the direction of the IRL?

Is anybody of the belief that they shouldn't change a thing?

NickFalzone
14th June 2009, 04:34
The IRL, like every racing series out there, has some things it could do better. I see more potential in the IRL for great racing, and I also see this series as making bigger mistakes than most of the others. But I'm willing to give this unification deal a chance for a couple more seasons. I think that it's too early to say the series is a failure and needs drastic management changes or needs to be shut down. I'm willing to give the current crew a shot at making it work right, with the public and with the sponsors. But they're in the heat of it right now and it's sink or swim time. Real changes need to be made both in the on-track product, the spec, and in the promotion of the series. These changes can be made, but will they? I have to say I'm pessimistic, but willing to give them some time to get it right. The reality for the IRL right now is that they're at or near the bottom, they can make wholesale changes and not have much to lose. They can try new things and stick with what works. Treading water is not the solution.

garyshell
14th June 2009, 05:26
get real mate. Anybody who's been around the various forums for a while knows who Indycool is, that post of his was hypocritical in the extreme. Why are you defending him?

I have been around the various forums for a long time and I know exactly who IC is. Anyone who has been around the various forums knows I have butted heads with IC on more than one occasion. I am most assuredly not defending IC.

But, there was nothing hypocritical in IC's reply. You might want to look up the definition of that term. IC made no claim one way or the other about his own, well know direction. Which BTW I have NEVER seen IC deny, unlike Anthony who makes the hollow claim:

Gary

garyshell
14th June 2009, 05:29
Lets get really.

Is anybody here totally happy with the direction of the IRL?

Is anybody of the belief that they shouldn't change a thing?

Yes, let's do get REAL. Did anyone here say anything even remotely close to that?

Gary

SarahFan
14th June 2009, 05:33
.......the regulars on the board know anthony's direction.

not too take sides .....but when you take into consideration it was IC making the comment, i did find the above post hypocritical

peasant
14th June 2009, 11:11
Perhaps because people here agree with him?

That response tells me your missing the point

I have been around the various forums for a long time and I know exactly who IC is. Anyone who has been around the various forums knows I have butted heads with IC on more than one occasion. I am most assuredly not defending IC.

But, there was nothing hypocritical in IC's reply. IC made no claim one way or the other about his own, well know direction. Which BTW I have NEVER seen IC deny, unlike Anthony who makes the hollow claim:

Gary

He runs a neither confirm nor deny policy as you must well know, or more particularly avoids the question. Don't give me condescending garbage like 'You might want to look up the definition of that term.' Given the history involved, that statement serves as a fine example of the word.
Why are you getting all concerned?

indycool
14th June 2009, 14:26
Yes, Gary and I have butted heads on occasion and agreed on occasion. Same with Ken. anthony's contention about the IRL not doing anything right in the past five or six years is a blanket, unspecific condemnation, which generated my blanket, unspecific response. The idea that every person, every entity on the planet connected to the IRL has never done ONE thing right in five or six years is preposterous, even if it's just emptying the trash in the right dumpster.

SarahFan
14th June 2009, 14:53
about 6 or 7 yeras ago when CC/Cart were flirting with sub 1 ratings you said.. and i loosely quote..

' sub 1 ratings are test pattern range, and a series will never survive with those low ratings'..

clearly you were correct... twice..

so with the IRL flirting with a season long average rating of .68 give or take....how can the IRL possibly survive?

anthonyvop
14th June 2009, 15:35
Yes, let's do get REAL. Did anyone here say anything even remotely close to that?

Gary
So I am the Pessimist and Nay-sayer.

indycool
14th June 2009, 16:35
I don't think I said that, Ken, but may have said something close to it. If this was the third year of "blendification" and Versus and they were still there, I'd be a lot closer to agreeing with your point.

SarahFan
14th June 2009, 18:53
I don't think I said that, Ken, but may have said something close to it. If this was the third year of "blendification" and Versus and they were still there, I'd be a lot closer to agreeing with your point.

did i make a point?

I thought I asked a question

indycool
14th June 2009, 20:02
Answer: Way, way too early to tell.

SarahFan
14th June 2009, 20:19
Answer: Way, way too early to tell.

is there not a 14 year trend as well as precedent set by CC/CART speed and Spike deals?

is 'blendification' the only different variable?

indycool
14th June 2009, 21:27
It is a major different variable. The setting, for the most part is different. "Unconfusion" and bad feelings among some followers aren't going to happen overnight. Growth isn't going to happen overnight. Going downhill didn't happen overnight. Yes, the precedent was set by the Speed and Spike deals, but the product is different and is being packaged differently.

SarahFan
14th June 2009, 22:25
It is a major different variable. The setting, for the most part is different. "Unconfusion" and bad feelings among some followers aren't going to happen overnight. Growth isn't going to happen overnight. Going downhill didn't happen overnight. Yes, the precedent was set by the Speed and Spike deals, but the product is different and is being packaged differently.

but were season and 1/3 into blendification... and the trend has been a constant down.....even 2008 on abc/espn/2

and six more of the same for 2009...

How long IYO will the window be open?

indycool
14th June 2009, 23:07
No idea, Ken. The economy, the world scenario, the car business...a lot of factors will play into both the ups and the downs and those are all TBAs.

peasant
15th June 2009, 00:23
No idea, Ken. The economy, the world scenario, the car business...a lot of factors will play into both the ups and the downs and those are all TBAs.

How do those things stop people watching on TV?

beachbum
15th June 2009, 04:08
How do those things stop people watching on TV?
Well, they have to afford a TV and cable or satellite to get any reception. Rabbit ears aren't cutting it today.

People just watching on TV doesn't bring in any money to a sponsor, contrary to some myths. The people watching still have to buy a sponsors product or it is a waste of advertising.

indycool
15th June 2009, 12:52
peasant, they don't. But all have an effect on the popularity of the sport and people's interest and ability to enjoy it, Racing (or Joe's Barber Shop, or GM, or Heidi's Seamstress Shop or Bolivia) faces challenges unique to its business and they're not the same challenges as five years ago or 10 years ago or 15 years ago.

SarahFan
15th June 2009, 14:04

problem IC is that its currently at a 14 year trend of down

what IYO can be done to change that?

indycool
15th June 2009, 16:23
Sadly, I'm old school because I'm older. The younger people now know more about what turns 'em on. I DO know it must be friendly, that everybody must have a good time together. A good example of this is how they introduce the drivers comin g down the aisles at Texas. The things that works against it being "friendly" is money. NASCAR in the '60s was fun for those who participated, be it competitors or fans. NASCAR now?

peasant
15th June 2009, 22:48
Well, they have to afford a TV and cable or satellite to get any reception. Rabbit ears aren't cutting it today.

People just watching on TV doesn't bring in any money to a sponsor, contrary to some myths. The people watching still have to buy a sponsors product or it is a waste of advertising.

I think you'll find ratings are the percentage of people who can watch, who did watch- not as a percentage of overall population. I think you'll also find that the choosing to spend money on of sponsorship/advertising involves factors such as cost, the number of people who see it and demographics of viewer. What ever the other factors, if the number of viewers is low you've got problems selling high priced sponsorship, which a sport like motor racing needs.

I actually don't think the worst aspect is versus - but instead the increasingly poor on track product the IRL has - and the monumental bad will it has with most of it's potential viewers. They seem to have no clue about fixing either.

peasant
15th June 2009, 22:54
Sadly, I'm old school because I'm older. The younger people now know more about what turns 'em on. I DO know it must be friendly, that everybody must have a good time together. A good example of this is how they introduce the drivers comin g down the aisles at Texas. The things that works against it being "friendly" is money. NASCAR in the '60s was fun for those who participated, be it competitors or fans. NASCAR now?

People don't change sao much, it's AOW that has changed so much. The legacy of Tony Georges actions wheter you like it or not, is the near total annihilation of the things that people watched the racing for. The fact is the patient is in critical condition, and it's becoming increasingly clear that the people who put it in that position, are not going to be the ones to fix it. Tony george with his checkbook created this, now what chance does he have of fixing it without his checkbook? Don't bother denying the Miller story, because it's damn clear it's fundamentally true -just look at vision and Hunter-Reay.

indycool
15th June 2009, 23:16
Things change a great deal within generatiions, peasant. We're arguing about something that hasn't happened yet. IMO, the picture is not nearly as bleak as you project. They're not running for a $45,000 total purse at Trenton any more, either.

Hoop-98
15th June 2009, 23:47
When one lays all this at the hands of one entity, be it TG, or Stokkan, or Penske, or Craig, or Rahal, CART, or the Franchise board, or the Delaware board or USAC, or Pook, or Forsythe.......

Well then IMHO one is being extremely unrealistic. Almost cultist....or some group that ends in y or ie....

Like most disasters, there are many precipitating causes/events. The whole dysfunctional group cooperated in this heritage.

thats my contribution

rh

peasant
16th June 2009, 01:18
When one lays all this at the hands of one entity, be it TG, or Stokkan, or Penske, or Craig, or Rahal, CART, or the Franchise board, or the Delaware board or USAC, or Pook, or Forsythe.......

Well then IMHO one is being extremely unrealistic. Almost cultist....or some group that ends in y or ie....

Like most disasters, there are many precipitating causes/events. The whole dysfunctional group cooperated in this heritage.

thats my contribution

rh

Other people didn't help the situation, and that probably includes bernie and the france group whispering sweet nothings in TG's ear. But if there was ever a situation where the blame can be pretty accurately laid at the feet of one idiot, this
is it. If the man had 1/2 a brain - it simply would not have got anywhere near this bad. Nothing cultist about it.

Hoop-98
16th June 2009, 01:25
Other people didn't help the situation, and that probably includes bernie and the france group whispering sweet nothings in TG's ear. But if there was ever a situation where the blame can be pretty accurately laid at the feet of one idiot, this
is it. If the man had 1/2 a brain - it simply would not have got anywhere near this bad. Nothing cultist about it.

Stating an opinion as fact would be a consistent behavior....

peasant
16th June 2009, 13:27
Stating an opinion as fact would be a consistent behavior....

Sorry.please accept IMO as a preface to my previous post. Could you now state your disagreement with the premises contained within my previous post.

garyshell
16th June 2009, 15:15

thats my contribution

rh

The role of CATALYST in the situation can certainly be laid at the feet of King George, but I hardly think he is alone in the blame. There is a trail that starts before him, catalyzes with his "vision", and ferments with subsequent decisions by others as well. That in no one is an attempt to deflect blame from the idiot grandson, but to put things more in perspective.

Gary

Hoop-98
16th June 2009, 15:34
The role of CATALYST in the situation can certainly be laid at the feet of King George, but I hardly think he is alone in the blame. There is a trail that starts before him, catalyzes with his "vision", and ferments with subsequent decisions by others as well. That in no one is an attempt to deflect blame from the idiot grandson, but to put things more in perspective.

Gary

You see Gary, IMO, the catalyst was the retraction of the board compromise of 92 and the appointment of Andrew Craig. Without that, no IRL. But the root to me was the unworkable board of CART. However, to go back through all that wouldn't do a lot of good, everyone believes what they believe and 14 years of "discussion" hasn't changed a thing.

Meanwhile, IMSA, CAN-AM, Trans-AM, CART/CCWS, All-Pro, and too many other series that I enjoyed have passed on or changed to the point of being unrecognizable. There are hundreds of variables in the waxing and waning of racing, and I am in control of only one.

Cya at the races....

rh

SarahFan
16th June 2009, 15:46
, and I am in control of only one.

Cya at the races....

rh

you always finish up with a similar sentiment......yet you always seem to find your way into the same ol discussions..

curios

Hoop-98
16th June 2009, 16:03
you always finish up with a similar sentiment......yet you always seem to find your way into the same ol discussions..

curios

Now Ken, always is hardly accurate, I would prefer more racing discussion, sadly not much of it, isn't that curious....

ymmv

SarahFan
16th June 2009, 16:21
Now Ken, always is hardly accurate, I would prefer more racing discussion, sadly not much of it, isn't that curious....

ymmv

most than?

*I make a point to be involved in every race thread....you? yep

others? not so much

Hoop-98
16th June 2009, 16:24
most than?

*I make a point to be involved in every race thread....you? yep

others? not so much

Hardly most...but I haven't counted, I just notice there are not many "green rows" on my Forum View... does not seem relevant to this thread though...

SarahFan
16th June 2009, 16:29
Hardly most...but I haven't counted, I just notice there are not many "green rows" on my Forum View... does not seem relevant to this thread though...

I'd go with 'Most'.....

we can check if you like

Hoop-98
16th June 2009, 16:41
I believe you should, would do you good. Now be sure and establish the criteria of the same ole discussions and a reasonable time frame, say mmmm 6 months?

Happy Motoring!

beachgirl
17th June 2009, 00:43
Boy oh boy, did THIS thread ever get off the topic!

Hoop-98
17th June 2009, 01:38
Boy oh boy, did THIS thread ever get off the topic!

my apology

beachgirl
17th June 2009, 03:40
No prob!

SarahFan
17th June 2009, 03:40
Go Sarah!!

she's daBomb