PDA

View Full Version : Jacqui Smith is to stand down as home secretary

yodasarmpit
2nd June 2009, 21:58
http://www.yodasarmpit.com/pics/jacqui.jpg

Jacqui Smith is to stand down as home secretary in the cabinet reshuffle, sources close to her have told the BBC.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown is set to shake up his cabinet after Thursday's European and English local elections.

The source said she was stepping down for her family, who had been "at the forefront" of a row over her expenses.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8079205.stm

Hondo
3rd June 2009, 02:39
I love this:

The source told the BBC that the row had put pressure on her children and her parents and while she regretted wrongly submitting a claim for the adult movie, she felt "vindicated" in her overall approach to claims, now those of other MPs had been published.

Now it's ok because there's a whole bunch of unethical crooks doing the same thing.

Dear Ms Smith, Michael Savage hasn't cost the British taxpayer a single penny through dubious expense claims nor has he felt the need to resign from his job due to "pressures" stemming from questionable actions. Who the hell are you to ban anyone from anything?

Mark
3rd June 2009, 08:14
Thus starts the collapse of the house of cards!

Dave B
3rd June 2009, 13:38
If Labour are to avoid catastrophic defeat (as opposed to just plain defeat) in the next general election, Brown must go too. He's become a liablity, and the forthcoming local and European elections will doubtless reflect the strength of feeling in the country.

If he doesn't stand down, I forsee a disruptive leadership challenge in the next few weeks.

BDunnell
3rd June 2009, 17:43
Good. Ghastly woman.

Dave B
3rd June 2009, 19:08
I don't know which is going to be more fun this week: Have I Got News For You or Question Time!

Hazell B
3rd June 2009, 20:33
Dave, they'll be the same show .....

I'll miss her. The sorry excuses kept me in high blood pressure like nothing else could.

Dave B
4th June 2009, 08:22
Dave, they'll be the same show .....
Hmm, the BBC could save money by merging the two. Have Hislop and Merton field questions from the audience instead of a guest host.

I'll miss her. The sorry excuses kept me in high blood pressure like nothing else could.
What exactly is the opposite of the Midas touch? The Jacqui touch? She certainly had this uncanny ability to turn everything she touched into crud.

Brown, Jon Brow
4th June 2009, 09:31
Hazel Blears gone to with her painted on smiling face. Why was she always so bloody happy!

Daniel
4th June 2009, 11:23
Thus starts the collapse of the house of cards!
It does seem it's finally happening.

emporer_k
8th June 2009, 18:05
She could spend more time with her husband so that he doesn't need to watch those movies any more .

Hondo
8th June 2009, 18:08
She could spend more time with her husband so that he doesn't need to watch those movies any more .

She is why he is watching them.

...I don't blame him.

steve_spackman
9th June 2009, 18:47
She is why he is watching them.

...I don't blame him.

:D

stevie_gerrard
15th June 2009, 10:13
I don't know which is going to be more fun this week: Have I Got News For You or Question Time!

If you didn't see Have I Got News For You a couple of weeks ago, its well worth a watch, it was the funniest episode in a long time. I'm sure you can get it on iplayer.