PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee ratings

SarahFan
2nd June 2009, 14:30
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/weekend-tv-ratings.htm

IndyCar series Sunday, 3:30 0.6 (462,000) ABC

The comparison: Down 25% from last year.

The spin on the spin: The Indy Racing League's Milwaukee Mile, in a late Sunday afternoon slot on a broadcast network, winds up with a lower rating than six weekend NCAA women's softball tournament games on ESPN.

Jag_Warrior
2nd June 2009, 17:17
That's brutal. Rather than people saying, "well NASCAR is down too" (-7% NASCAR vs -25% IRL), I hope that "the powers that be" at IMS/IRL are studying why the ratings are continuing on this ugly downtrend. Danica is doing pretty well this year. The level of professionalism and quality of the field is now higher than it's ever been. The split has been over for a year now. With the economy still in deep recession and travel down, why aren't people watching these races on TV? With these numbers, it seems like even the hardcore fan base is shrinking. Why?

MDS
2nd June 2009, 17:48
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/weekend-tv-ratings.htmThe spin on the spin: The Indy Racing League's Milwaukee Mile, in a late Sunday afternoon slot on a broadcast network, winds up with a lower rating than six weekend NCAA women's softball tournament games on ESPN.

When you're being out performed by women college athletics you're in a dangerous world.

Also, twice as many people watched the premiere of John and Kat + 8 than did the Indy 500.

NickFalzone
2nd June 2009, 19:13
Starter, this is why I think a lot of the comments about how "we have to get back to the good old days" are incorrect. No, the car culture in America has changed, as well as the tv viewing habits with computers, cellphones, etc. "Racing" will never go away, but it WILL change. And what we're seeing now is something rooted in tradition that a lot of the audience doesn't care about, and amateur attempts at change. I have some ideas myself on what could work, but for the most part my ideas are inevitable. The only question is how long these necessary changes will take to happen, and which series will make them first (and financially benefit the most). I am firmly of the belief that NASCAR and IndyCar as-is have plateau'ed. IndyCar may pick up some ratings in the next 2-3 seasons just because it's at such a bottom point right now due to a variety of obvious reasons. But as is, it's not going to get back to massive popularity, and NASCAR appears to be on a continual, moderate slide in attendance and ratings. One of these series, or another we're not discussing, will make some significant changes across the board that will catch the eye of the public. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later as watching this sport in decline is depressing.

Jag_Warrior
2nd June 2009, 20:28
"To everything there is a season." Perhaps the season of auto racing in general is done. The figures across the board are not great. NASCAR and the NHRA are the only ones carrying their own water, and they are not looking up any longer either. Times have changed and people have different interests now. Many of the major stick and ball sports are down from their highs too. The very fact that so many people are sitting, right this moment, in front of computer screens should tell you something.

Another big difference is the auto industry in general. There was a time when new model car introductions were a big thing. Bigger, faster, shinier, sexier. Not so much these days. The passion is gone. Cars are now viewed as appliances. Who cares if your toaster is better than mine? All of that carries to the competition side of the automobile arena.

Will racing go away? Doubtfull, the grass roots is still alive and well. But I can see it becoming a second tier sport at best.

Yes, perhaps the season of auto racing is done... or perhaps not. In looking over historical ratings the other night (from the early 90's on), and drawing a trendline, the best/worst that one can say is that NASCAR may have reached a plateau. But it most certainly is not in a downtrend over time. There are certainly year over year variations. But let's look at Daytona's "down ratings" this year. While down to the lowest level since 2000 (8.4), they're in the same general range (at 9.2) as they've been since 1992 (9.3). Looking at Indy's ratings trendline since 1995 looks more like a stock chart of Enron. It's not the same thing.

I can't say whether or not the general passion for automobiles has disappeared in the U.S. I mean, that's a subjective perception and I know of no way to really measure passion - well, not with a car anyway. ;) Once the recession set in deep & hard almost two years ago, I'd say most people were more concerned with saving their houses than buying a new car. But even now, I know the restyled 2010 Mustang is getting a lot of attention in the automotive press. And from CNBC to Bloomberg to Fox Business News, the new Camaro is being talked about almost everyday. The Dodge Challenger is a poorly built POS. But it's a very pretty and nostaligic POS... and even now, its sales are respectable. Under the right circumstances, I'd like to have that POS in my driveway. Subaru launched a new WRX and STI last year - ugly as hell, but quick enough that you don't notice its face. And assuming the data has not been revised lower, Subaru was the only auto OEM to post higher year over year results in the U.S. a few months ago. Up until the recession hit, Sebring and Petit Le Mans were seeing steady or bigger crowds (though flat ratings). The Daytona 24 had been seeing higher ratings and bigger crowds. As far as I know, NOPI is still going strong - so the kids are still car crazy... even though their parents might be broke now. If the passion is broadly gone, I didn't get that memo. But with jobs disappearing, 401K's and stock portfolios down 50% and home values down 25-50% in some places, the ability to buy the latest & greatest speed demon has (temporarily) gone away for many people.

To some people, cars always have been and always will be "appliances". But taking a broader view of America, knowing that auction prices for classics haven't collapsed, and there are more & more car clubs for those from 16-106, I would maintain that the IRL's issues are micro, not macro related.

In a down market, sure, all stocks fall. But "bad" stocks usually fall a lot more than the "good" ones.

DavePI2
3rd June 2009, 00:28
Pardon me if this point has been metioned before. Could the big decline be caused by the move to versus. It is hard to build a following if you don't know where to find the product. Since most races can't be found on network tv most people may have given up looking. A probalby am wrong , I am sure someone will point it out but I still believe the move to versus is affecting the ratings on abc as well.

david

The instant classic
3rd June 2009, 01:12
When you're being out performed by women college athletics you're in a dangerous world.

Also, twice as many people watched the premiere of John and Kat + 8 than did the Indy 500.
i watch John and Kat + 8 :cheese:

Jag_Warrior
3rd June 2009, 02:12
i watch John and Kat + 8 :cheese:

*moves to the ol' Google machine to see what "John and Kat +8" is*

Easy Drifter
3rd June 2009, 03:38
I am in a bit of a quandry here.
NASCAR is down as are IRL in ratings.
My take on the grandstands at Indy and Milwaukee was up.
NASCAR grandstands, especially for trucks and Nationwide down.
From what I see in local newspapers local bullring crowds are steady or up almost everywhere.
I think the Car of Tomorrow has hurt major league stock cars.
Before there was at least a pretence of a difference.
I now go to local sports car races at Mosport. Sports Cars?
Last event there was not one non sedan or roofed car except in formula cars.
Even so called vintage almost all were roofed. A problem? Maybe.
The spectators (no advertising of event) were almost all over 50 except for those involved as drivers or crew.
Lots of young drivers and crew/hangers on.
One thing I did notice was the lack of drivers actually owning/working on/preparing their cars. Many either renting a ride or having the car prepared in a shop and paying for it.
Times change and not always for the better.
Still local racing, be it road racing or the local bull ring usually is better racing than the big leagues. Besides you can say I knew ---- when he was just ---.
Local racing seems to be fairly healthy.
There is where the next generation of fans needs to be targeted.
Somehow the powers that be need to wake up that they need to go after the local track people who will work by word of mouth to interest joe blow public. You already have the base who will work to pull in the average person. They love motor racing and want everyone else to embrace it.
Rant over.

NickFalzone
3rd June 2009, 04:07
The audience demographic for car racing has only gotten older in the last 3 decades. This is the primary problem that NASCAR and the IRL are facing, but they're making very little effort to change that. When I see a movie like Fast and Furious a month ago, the 3rd or 4th movie in that series, make $150 million in 5 weeks and is one of the biggest movies so far this year, it's clear to me that presented in a certain way, car racing is something that general audiences are attracted to. I'm not saying that the presentation of NASCAR or the IRL should be that of an action movie, but the way it is presented now is so far in the opposite direction that I'm left to assume that those in charge either don't know or don't care. Racing directed, announced, and presented as something out of a 1970s Indy 500 tv movie is probably not going to win over a new, young set of eyes. Sometimes I watch these races and I wonder who the producer thinks their audience is. They're too promo heavy and simplistic to appeal to the traditional, long time racing fan, and they're too flatfooted in their production to appeal to a new or casual fan.

This particularly applies to the IRL:

Insanity - Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

The instant classic
3rd June 2009, 04:50
*moves to the ol' Google machine to see what "John and Kat +8" is*
LMFAO

Chamoo
3rd June 2009, 05:12
LMFAO

Yea, I got suckered into watching it with the girlfriend. I sort of liked it, but I couldn't tell her that, otherwise everytime it would be on, I'd be stuck watching it. I slip it on when nothing else is on.

As for the ratings, I'm not really sure what to say about them as I wasn't able to watch the race myself. Not sure what happened, whether it was lack of promotion, the competition on other stations, or the race itself, but, it's bad news bears.

DavePI2
3rd June 2009, 10:52
not all the bull rings are doing well. I live in columbus ohio and go to the short track here occasionally and the the crowds are way down from a few years ago. Of course we did have a good turnout last week from people wanting too see if there would be another school bus wreck. Oh crowd at indy looked fine to me from where I was in grandstand a, maybe a few less in the inside grandstands but the general admission crowd on the backstretch was huge.

david

DanicaFan
3rd June 2009, 12:32
You have to remember that all these ratings will most likely be down. It was expected when you switch to a network that has less than half of the number of subscribers as you once had. So all these down figures dont suprise me at all.

I dont like it but I have to get used to it. I, from the beginning always stated my disappointment and dislike of the IRL going to Versus. Now, everyone is seeing why I was so against it. Who cares how great the coverage is if hardly anyone is watching ?

Jacques
4th June 2009, 00:18
If anything, I think this should serve as humble pie for those who thought they were "so right" in calling for unification.
This is what you wanted .. this is what you got.

Now, all we hear/read are excuses and/or explanations.

The problem was at the core of the sport. The cure was not to kill CART/CC.

beachbum
4th June 2009, 01:00
The concept that racing in general is in a decline has a lot of validity. As race fans, we want to think otherwise, and trot out all kinds of reasons from the inevitable killing CC ruined the sport to you can't fight NASCAR. But the problem is not limited to the US, it is worldwide.

My brother-in-law is a pilot for a large cargo company. That company has contracts to fly many racing teams and series all of over the world. His has piloted plane loads of A1GP cars, Ferrari F1, and other teams. This year he was on a flight with the European Porsche Supercup cars. The plane (747) was almost empty with 14 cars. He asked the representative if there was another plane and the answer was no. Last year at Monza, they had 30 cars.

The instant classic
4th June 2009, 01:14
If anything, I think this should serve as humble pie for those who thought they were "so right" in calling for unification.
This is what you wanted .. this is what you got.

Now, all we hear/read are excuses and/or explanations.

The problem was at the core of the sport. The cure was not to kill CART/CC.
i have disagree with the unification from day one
i have seen unification befor and it killed what was once great

DBell
4th June 2009, 02:31
You have to remember that all these ratings will most likely be down. It was expected when you switch to a network that has less than half of the number of subscribers as you once had. So all these down figures dont suprise me at all.

I dont like it but I have to get used to it. I, from the beginning always stated my disappointment and dislike of the IRL going to Versus. Now, everyone is seeing why I was so against it. Who cares how great the coverage is if hardly anyone is watching ?

This is an argument one can make about VS ratings, but I don't see how it applies to an ABC broadcast. People shouldn't have any trouble finding ABC.

NASCAR Trucks pulled a .86 on Speed. Nascar's 3rd tier series on a second tier cable channel soundly beat the IRL on ABC. That speaks volumes on the state of AOW racing.

SarahFan
4th June 2009, 04:12

you do relize this race was on network/ABC dont you?

Jag_Warrior
4th June 2009, 04:24
This is an argument one can make about VS ratings, but I don't see how it applies to an ABC broadcast. People shouldn't have any trouble finding ABC.

NASCAR Trucks pulled a .86 on Speed. Nascar's 3rd tier series on a second tier cable channel soundly beat the IRL on ABC. That speaks volumes on the state of AOW racing.

^^^ Yeah, that's the part that makes this whole thing rather hard to figure out.

Indy was on ABC this year. It was on ABC last year... and the year before that... and the year before that... and...

Milwaukee was on ABC, not Versus or ESPN. So :confused:

NickFalzone
4th June 2009, 04:24
This is perhaps a twisted way of looking at it, but if Milwaukee truly got a .6 on network-tv's ABC, then Versus .5 at Long Beach is pretty impressive. I think that the bigger issue that no one talks about is that, for the most part, IndyCar's audience base is about a .4-.5. These discussions of VS, ABC, etc. are all symptomatic of a very modest l core audience that will find the series wherever it goes. The .6 on ABC is laughable, but says to me that literally the hardcore fans watched it, and that's about 600k viewers. If Milwaukee was on VS, it may well have achieved 80-90% of that network audience. That can be interpreted both as good and bad, but it's an interesting predicament.

NickFalzone
4th June 2009, 04:28
Jag, I think what the Milwaukee rating suggests is that the IRL (non Indy 500) turns viewers away by the droves. The casual channel surfer sees a moment of the Milwaukee race and shudders. Literally the only ones stopping to watch this race were the ones that planned their day around it, the hardcore IRL fans. Everyone has access to the channel. The race was heavily promoted by ABC during the 500 (4 million viewers). So casual fans knew about it. But just zero interest in watching. Not a good situation.

Jag_Warrior
4th June 2009, 04:28
USA Today put the viewership at 462K.

Edit: Hey, a double/double: two sets of posts at the same times by the same guys! What's our prize for that??? Starter?!

Jag_Warrior
4th June 2009, 04:37
Jag, I think what the Milwaukee rating suggests is that the IRL (non Indy 500) turns viewers away by the droves. The casual channel surfer sees a moment of the Milwaukee race and shudders. Literally the only ones stopping to watch this race were the ones that planned their day around it, the hardcore IRL fans. Everyone has access to the channel. The race was heavily promoted by ABC during the 500 (4 million viewers). So casual fans knew about it. But just zero interest in watching. Not a good situation.

Yes, I think you're right about the casuals. But what strikes me is just a few years ago, the casuals put the ratings (on network) closer to the 1.0 mark. Whether CCWS, IRL or ALMS, they all hung around 1.0 +/-. The casuals seem to be decreasing in number. That's the "why" that I'm also wondering about.

I never catch the F1 ratings anymore. But I wonder where they've been this year... what with Ferrari and McLaren sucking and the Brawn mowing down the competition?

NickFalzone
4th June 2009, 05:12
With NASCAR and Nationwide races, I'm sometimes struck by how good the ratings are there. But I think a lot of it has to do with more casual fans, some of which don't even know that it's not a Cup race but a 2nd tier race. With that reasoning in mind though, I still wonder how the truck races get OK ratings also. Truck races that usually get better #'s than IndyCar, at least tv not necessarily attendance. The truck series a couple "star" drivers like Busch and Harvick, but I think that the primary reason why this series does well is because the racing is really fun to watch. Lots of 2 and 3 wides, lots of passing opportunities, lots of wrecks. Usually they put on a better show than Cup. The Truck series you would think has a bigger audience popularity hurdle than IndyCar, I mean they're pickup trucks racing. But, the exciting competition, the Kyle Busch in the field, and the NASCAR promotion helps quite a bit. The problem with the IRL now is that the general perception, IMO, is that the racing is boring, so the casual viewer quickly switches the channel. I don't know what to do about that, but lack of major promotion and a style of racing that hasn't been real popular for over a decade... I think people have mostly forgotten about open wheel. They think Danica's in NASCAR, and NASCAR's the only car racing in the U.S. Most ways to solve this include money being spent on marketing and promotion. Money that I get the feeling the IRL doesn't have much of.