TV Schedule - 9:00pm Eastern - Versus

Course Type - 1.5 Mile Oval

Distance - 228 Laps / 342 Miles

Qualifications - June 5th - 5:30pm -7:00pm Eastern

2008 Pole Sitter - Scott Dixon

2008 Winner - Scott Dixon

DanicaFan
2nd June 2009, 20:49
AJ Foyt IV will be driving the #14 ABC Supply car for this race.

jackmart
2nd June 2009, 21:14
will it be under lights since it is so late?

drewdawg727
2nd June 2009, 21:15
Fisher in, Duno in, Foyt IV in, Lazier in, Conquest has TBA...Scheckter?

Hoop-98
2nd June 2009, 21:50
will it be under lights since it is so late?

Yes.

Hoop-98
2nd June 2009, 22:08
http://i43.tinypic.com/2dbw2s1.jpg

Scheckter rumored to be in 43 DRR.

rh

drewdawg727
2nd June 2009, 22:24
So what about this Conquest TBA entry? This 43 car isn't even entered in.

Hoop-98
2nd June 2009, 22:35
So what about this Conquest TBA entry? This 43 car isn't even entered in.

Take it for what it's worth.

http://www.indyinformer.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.content_detail&ctid=3185

rh

SarahFan
4th June 2009, 15:50
http://www.versus.com/indycartrackpreview

Chamoo
4th June 2009, 16:12
Well, we've got 23 cars announced and accounted for, if we can get Tomas into a car that isn't announced, then we should be ok for 24 cars which is a very nice turn out. 24 cars at Texas would be fun to watch for sure.

DanicaFan
4th June 2009, 20:31
Alex Tagliani will be driving the #34 car for Conquest Racing and Tomas Sheckter will be in the #43 car for Dreyer & Reinbold at Texas this weekend.

DavePI2
5th June 2009, 00:30
24 on the entry list now, things are looking up.

david

Hoop-98
5th June 2009, 02:57
Looks like Sarah is the slowest "girl"....

http://i39.tinypic.com/1zyfzt3.jpg

rh

DBell
5th June 2009, 03:16
WOW! Duno 8th? And her teammates are 21st and 23rd. That's quite a shock!

I wonder what if Helio has ever seen Milka's name above his on the time sheets.

Nice job by Wheldon and Panther today.

NickFalzone
5th June 2009, 03:18
Moraes hit Wheldon with about 5 minutes to go. Wheldon came in and apparently his car is not damaged, but I'm sure they'll replace a part or two on the wheelbase to make sure. Moraes needs to be mastering the basics, not running two wide with wheldon in practice.

beachbum
5th June 2009, 03:20
WOW! Duno 8th? And her teammates are 21st and 23rd. That's quite a shock!

I wonder what if Helio has ever seen Milka's name above his on the time sheets.

Nice job by Wheldon and Panther today.Basically, almost all of the cars in the top 10 got the speeds by drafting (even Milka - she latched onto the back of the pack for a number of laps). Perhaps the one's to watch are Franchitti and Dixon because they weren't running in the big drafting pack.

beachbum
5th June 2009, 03:23
Moraes hit Wheldon with about 5 minutes to go. Wheldon came in and apparently his car is not damaged, but I'm sure they'll replace a part or two on the wheelbase to make sure. Moraes needs to be mastering the basics, not running two wide with wheldon in practice.That was very close, but it wasn't the only close call. TK went 3 wide, as did a couple others, and early in the practice Danica washed up in front of Helio and he really had to back off. Just typical racing at Texas.

Hoop-98
5th June 2009, 03:23
Checkers...

http://i42.tinypic.com/34np2mw.jpg

rh

Easy Drifter
5th June 2009, 04:06
Stompin' Danica 2nd and 2 women in the top 10.
Danica Fan will be over the moon.
I certainly am no Danica fan but she is driving very well and fastest AGR car.
Come on Sarah. Go get them.

Jag_Warrior
5th June 2009, 04:17
Is this Milka's first time racing at Texas?

jackmart
5th June 2009, 06:34
I am really shocked at Milka wow. I am sad to see Sarah didn't do better.
Danica has really stepped up her game this year I am suprised with her too. I was hoping Graham would be better.

beachbum
5th June 2009, 12:04
Is this Milka's first time racing at Texas?
Milka seems to like Texas. She finished 11th of 20 as a rookie in 2007 and 17th of 28 last year.

Danica was fast right off the truck which suggests a very good setup. Her fast time was set with a huge tow from Rahal, but even when she was drafting with her teammates, she was consistently quicker that they were. TK seems to have the worst of the setups, as he was a bit inconsistent.

Running in a draft seems to be worth about 2 mph based on lap times of drivers running in a pack or running alone. Many of the drivers down the list didn't run in the drafting packs in practice, so they seem "slow". Some of that might be setup as some cars, like Sarah's, didn't look very "happy" in a draft.

DanicaFan
6th June 2009, 00:18
Yeah, it seems as of late that Tony has been given bad cars and set-ups for some reason. To me, there is no excuse in that. He isnt performing nearly as good as he should be. He is a much better driver. They need to perfect his car by race time.

DanicaFan
6th June 2009, 00:45
Qualifications are now over. Congrats to Dario Franchitti on getting the pole.

Here is the starting lineup for this race...

Row 1

#10 Dario Franchitti - 214.513
#6 Ryan Briscoe - 214.413

Row 2

#9 Scott Dixon - 214.296
#3 Helio Castroneves - 214.228

Row 3

#7 Danica Patrick - 213.929
#5 Mario Moraes - 213.717

Row 4

#4 Dan Wheldon -213.596
#26 Marco Andretti - 213.540

Row 5

#06 Robert Doornbos - 213.479
#20 Ed Carpenter - 213.475

Row 6

#27 Hideki Mutoh - 213.327
#02 Graham Rahal -213.178

Row 7

#34 Alex Tagliani - 213.173
#67 Sarah Fisher - 212.554

Row 8

#2 Raphael Matos -212.137
#11 Tony Kanaan - 212.108

Row 9

#18 Justin Wilson - 212.021
#43 Tomas Scheckter - 211.741

Row 10

#24 Mike Conway - 211.686
#23 Milka Duno - 211.601

Row 11

#13 EJ Viso - 211.553
#14 AJ Foyt IV - 211.454

Row 12

#21 Ryan Hunter-Reay -210.532
#98 Jaques Lazier - 209.329

http://lasttofirst.com/Themes/default/images/icons/modify_inline.gif

NickFalzone
6th June 2009, 02:49
Hunter Reay and Kanaan are really getting some weak equipment from each of their teams. Danica in 5th, TK in 16th? Carpenter in 10th, Hunter Reay in 23rd? That's not driver difference, that's just a huge difference in the quality of the racecars, within the same team.

Hoop-98
7th June 2009, 00:50
Nice nite at the track saw the camp and brewers let's go racing!

jackmart
7th June 2009, 01:52
Hunter Reay and Kanaan are really getting some weak equipment from each of their teams. Danica in 5th, TK in 16th? Carpenter in 10th, Hunter Reay in 23rd? That's not driver difference, that's just a huge difference in the quality of the racecars, within the same team.

how are they that different? unless it's the new car that tony has since his crashed and it just hasn't been as good.

NickFalzone
7th June 2009, 03:33
Penske, Target, AGR, and Panther only teams on the lead lap with 125 to go. Haven't seen this sort of dominance at other ovals this season. Several lanes to race on, but sheer speed only a few teams are in the same league. And wow... Kanaan in 8th going a lap down. Briscoe just dominating. Can't remember a race so clearly a have and have nots. Danica and Wheldon very impressive to be in that lead pack. But short of pit strategy or wrecks it's going to be a small group by the last stint.

MDS
7th June 2009, 03:47
yawn

I think there's been one pass for the lead all night... Remind me again why Texas is superior to street course racing?

TURN3
7th June 2009, 03:54
Gee, imagine that! A mystery yellow for the 2nd week in a row a few laps from DP going a lap down. Things that make you go hmmmm. Funny too, I was thinking about posting this about 5 laps before it actually happened. How predictable.

jackmart
7th June 2009, 08:16
i felt like the yellow was so the race would be close because briscoe had such a huge lead

jimispeed
7th June 2009, 09:15
I'm very bored of most of these oval races.

I prefer back in the day, when leads were swapped time and time again. I can't get very excited about this kind of oval racing.

.................................................. ..............................hmmphhh........

Andrewmcm
7th June 2009, 12:44
I didn't see the race, but it sounds like the contrast between the action at Milwaukee and Texas is very marked.

Lousada
7th June 2009, 13:56
All the races except a lucky exception will be boring this year. Penske and Ganassi are so much better than all the rest.

beachbum
7th June 2009, 13:59
Yeah, we need more road races, more open rules...... As I read this, I am watching F1 timing and scoring from Turkey. You know, that series with road races and more open rules? At lap 36, Button has an 18 second lead on 2nd, and most of the cars has seconds between them. The closest "battle" is Hamilton chasing Buemi for 16th (yes, that is not a typo), but that fight is a lap down. Opps, lap 39 update - Buemi pulled away.

Yup, that's the racing we need.

beachbum
7th June 2009, 14:05
Gee, imagine that! A mystery yellow for the 2nd week in a row a few laps from DP going a lap down. Things that make you go hmmmm. Funny too, I was thinking about posting this about 5 laps before it actually happened. How predictable.
Ah yes, the "mystery" yellow. It did seem a bit suspect because of the timing, but the coverage both from Versus and the in-car cameras did show track crews picking something up that was on the racing line.

Any yellow that isn't a big crash will have some fans screaming "conspiracy". While I initially though the timing was very suspect, I would rather have a caution to check out and cleanup debris than a caution from a wreck caused by someone hitting the debris.

MDS
7th June 2009, 14:11
Yeah, we need more road races, more open rules...... As I read this, I am watching F1 timing and scoring from Turkey. You know, that series with road races and more open rules? At lap 36, Button has an 18 second lead on 2nd, and most of the cars has seconds between them. The closest "battle" is Hamilton chasing Buemi for 16th (yes, that is not a typo), but that fight is a lap down. Opps, lap 39 update - Buemi pulled away.

Yup, that's the racing we need.

Technically an 18 second lead on a 3.3 mile course with a 1:29 average lap time is less than a 8 second lead on 1.5 mile track with a 25 second lap time.

Had the IRL not thrown a competition caution when they did Brisco probably would have lapped most, if not all of the field.

garyshell
7th June 2009, 14:56
yawn

I think there's been one pass for the lead all night... Remind me again why Texas is superior to street course racing?

Gee, it's too bad your attention is so fixed on the leader for the whole race.

Gary

SarahFan
7th June 2009, 15:06
Gee, it's too bad your attention is so fixed on the leader for the whole race.

Gary

isn't the goal to win?

where else exactly should the focus be?

beachbum
7th June 2009, 15:28
isn't the goal to win?

where else exactly should the focus be?I think most people refer to the sport as "motor racing", not "motor winning". I like to see people race each other, not just tool around by themselves with a big lead.

Unlike some other TV coverage, Versus doesn't do a bad job covering the whole field in a race. In this case, the hardest racing seemed to be near the front, although there were a number of interesting battles and incidents back a bit. They did miss some of that.

SarahFan
7th June 2009, 15:35
I think most people refer to the sport as "motor racing", not "motor winning". I like to see people race each other, not just tool around by themselves with a big lead.

Unlike some other TV coverage, Versus doesn't do a bad job covering the whole field in a race. In this case, the hardest racing seemed to be near the front, although there were a number of interesting battles and incidents back a bit. They did miss some of that.

marco might be a whiny little nobody..... but he got it right a few years back at indy...

garyshell
7th June 2009, 15:36
isn't the goal to win?

where else exactly should the focus be?

Who's goal? I beleive the conversation was about the spectator, not the race participants.

Suggesting that a spectator's focus should remain on the leader is simply ridiculous.

Gary

SarahFan
7th June 2009, 15:36
I like to see people race each other, not just tool around by themselves with a big lead.

t.

Ryan was hardly 'Tooling' around

-Helix-
7th June 2009, 15:55
they definitely need to go back to the old aero package.

i know pack racing is dangerous, but even Dixon admitted that the racing needs to be more entertaining and he was never a fan of pack racing

Hoop-98
7th June 2009, 15:58
Marcos car was coming in late in the run and he was making some great moves. Was a fun race to attend, the crowd was really into Danica and Helio.

rh

SarahFan
7th June 2009, 16:19
hoop....did you see the debris?

Nikki Katz
7th June 2009, 16:44
It being the middle of the night, I missed the second half of this, and am still really tired for staying up for the bit that I did watch. Was it good? The IndyCar.com feed was actually pretty good in broadcasting passes on track for important positions, though it did miss the crash at the start.

Did Briscoe really not win???

Hoop-98
7th June 2009, 16:47
Helio beat him out of the pits and they ran close but Helio slowly pulled out a bit. Marco was coming on fast at the end...

rh

DanicaFan
7th June 2009, 16:48
I would also have to say that is the best Ive seen Marco drive in a long time. I was glad to see him get a top 5. Let's hope he can carry this momentum into the rest of the season.

As for getting upset with Danica, that wasnt right. She did nothing wrong. It was clean racing. Like she said, she isnt going to just give up a spot. No driver would.

NickFalzone
7th June 2009, 17:08
I didn't see any debris, or anyone picking up debris, and it was certainly a convenient time to throw a caution. I don't know. If I was Roger Penske or Ryan Briscoe and this was simply an attempt to bunch up the field, I'd be pretty pissed. I'm not 100% sure that it was a phantom debris caution though, because I do (or did) have some respect for race control. Maybe this will be clarified here soon.

Hoop-98
7th June 2009, 17:14
hoop....did you see the debris?

I heard the call on race control, I saw the truck dispatched, I saw a track worker get off the truck and bend down and appear to be making "picking up" motions.

rh

harvick#1
7th June 2009, 17:16
I didn't see any debris, or anyone picking up debris, and it was certainly a convenient time to throw a caution. I don't know. If I was Roger Penske or Ryan Briscoe and this was simply an attempt to bunch up the field, I'd be pretty pissed. I'm not 100% sure that it was a phantom debris caution though, because I do (or did) have some respect for race control. Maybe this will be clarified here soon.

hmm, this is sounding like Nascar now :mark: pretty sad when race control, controls the racing, they should just come out and say for every event there will be a caution with 20 to go for a final shootout, then throwing phantom debris cautions to bunch the field and the true winner of a race, its a farce

drewdawg727
7th June 2009, 17:23
I heard the call on race control, I saw the truck dispatched, I saw a track worker get off the truck and bend down and appear to be making "picking up" motions.

rh

Well of course they had to dispatch SOMEONE and do SOMETHING. From what I can tell on the broadcast, there was no one sitting on the backstraight, so they probably took the truck to the backstraight and had someone get out of the truck.
It would be ridiculous if you're sitting in the stands and a yellow comes out for debris and NO ONE goes out there to retrieve it...

NickFalzone
7th June 2009, 17:26
Well, at least they went through the motions. I'm sure there were a few marbles out there to pick up.

NickFalzone
7th June 2009, 18:59
A number of drivers including Mutoh and Fisher lost positions due to electrical problems, I wonder if that was due to the heat or something else. One thing I noticed was that the stands were much more full than in the last couple years. Bob Jenkins said 80k to 100k in the stands, which if he's right is better than usual for Texas.

Hoop-98
7th June 2009, 19:03
Wasn't bad temperature wise at all...

rh

TURN3
7th June 2009, 19:22
I would also have to say that is the best Ive seen Marco drive in a long time. I was glad to see him get a top 5. Let's hope he can carry this momentum into the rest of the season.

As for getting upset with Danica, that wasnt right. She did nothing wrong. It was clean racing. Like she said, she isnt going to just give up a spot. No driver would.

I'm not going to get into a Danica bashing session here. She has driven by far the best 2 races of her entire career at Indy and Milwaukee, she deserves credit for those. What Marco was referring to though was pretty messed up. She didn't do anything wrong? Better watch the replay those last 15 laps when she repeatedly moved up in front of him about 5 laps in a row until he went low. When he went low, show chopped him pretty badly. I'm actually surprised race control didn't penalize her let alone not warn her.

It isn't about "letting him" go around as the VS reporter suggested when she interviewed Danica, poor choice of phrases. It was about blocking and chopping which last time I heard was a big no no at IRL races especially these high speed tracks. Let's face it too, Danica has a reputation for being the worst at that on the track amongst her competitors.

All this being said, and as out of line as Danica was by behaving that way on the track, Marco is just like his whiny father and grandfather. Everytime something isn't quite right for him he sounds like a cat stuck in his Honda. There is an approprate way of saying "she was blocking and chopping me" or even the way he handled Moreas at Indy. Somebody needs to take whittle Marco out behind the shop and whip him into shape (I'd volunteer if paid by AGR for services). He was absolutely correct for being ticked off but c'mon, act like you've been there. Maybe he has forgotten what he did to RHR at Texas last year or TK at Indy?

jackmart
7th June 2009, 21:25
I think it's always so weird when Danica and Marco battle for a spot since her spotter is his dad. I wonder what it sounds like on the radio then.

also curious what was wrong with rahals car. It was the same one that he practices with and qualified so why al of the sudden would it be so messed up.

trinksuk
7th June 2009, 21:44
Fortunately (or unfortunately) I get to hear this whining / moaning / bitching / swearing on the radio each weekend and I am afraid guys that Danica is by the far the worst offender....one would never imagine that such language could come from a ladies mouth.....anyone sat in the stands with a radio scanner is treated to such torrents!

If you were listening to race control, they had their eyes on the 7 car and the antics that were going on and she was a move or two away from being black flagged for overtly aggressive driving. We may all call it racing, but it is at over 200mph and I certainly don't want to see anyone get hurt - race hard but race fair and respect one another out there!

SarahFan
7th June 2009, 22:11
maybe Danica was just trying the same moves PT put on her Indy.....but just hasn't perfected them yet

beachgirl
7th June 2009, 22:27
maybe Danica was just trying the same moves PT put on her Indy.....but just hasn't perfected them yet

She's no PT and never will be, as far as skill or bravado.

Jag_Warrior
7th June 2009, 22:28
Fortunately (or unfortunately) I get to hear this whining / moaning / bitching / swearing on the radio each weekend and I am afraid guys that Danica is by the far the worst offender....one would never imagine that such language could come from a ladies mouth

"Just because she's a female, that doesn't make her a lady." -- something my uncle told me a loooong time ago.

Everyone knows how much it pains me to see any good in Danica, but were her moves really that bad? I don't know the rules for the IRL, so maybe that's why I didn't see what the problem was.

SarahFan
7th June 2009, 22:34
"Just because she's a female, that doesn't make her a lady." -- something my uncle told me a loooong time ago.

s.

FWIW....

rumor floating around is she got into it rather heavily with track security over the weekend.....

she wanted to cross thru the impounded truck paddock and it got heated....to the point she called a female track security person a 'F'en Biyutch'

*might be just internet 3rd hand scuttlebutt....or maybe not

beachbum
7th June 2009, 23:13
Well of course they had to dispatch SOMEONE and do SOMETHING. From what I can tell on the broadcast, there was no one sitting on the backstraight, so they probably took the truck to the backstraight and had someone get out of the truck.
It would be ridiculous if you're sitting in the stands and a yellow comes out for debris and NO ONE goes out there to retrieve it...Somehow even if the IRL send the part to a fan by FedEx, they wouldn't believe it was real. No matter what the IRL does, some will stand by their conspiracy theories.

beachbum
7th June 2009, 23:17

Everyone knows how much it pains me to see any good in Danica, but were her moves really that bad? I don't know the rules for the IRL, so maybe that's why I didn't see what the problem was.Yes, her moves were that bad. She ran Marco all over the track. If he was looking high, she moved to the high line. If he had a run, she ran him up the track. When he got along side, she didn't hold her line. I was actually pretty surprised he did manage to get by. She wasn't the only one blocking, but that was pretty blatant, especially when she knew Marco was faster. When he got by, he left her.

gerkebi
8th June 2009, 05:33
Bull. Marco's picked up the old man's whining. "She wouldn't let me by....waaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaa!!!

garyshell
8th June 2009, 15:49
Bull. Marco's picked up the old man's whining. "She wouldn't let me by....waaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaa!!!

"Daaaaaaad, Danica won't share. It was MY turn..."

Gary

FormerFF
8th June 2009, 16:04
It being the middle of the night, I missed the second half of this, and am still really tired for staying up for the bit that I did watch. Was it good? The IndyCar.com feed was actually pretty good in broadcasting passes on track for important positions, though it did miss the crash at the start.

Did Briscoe really not win???

You didn't miss much. Briscoe continued to pull out a lead. There were a few passes among the group that was chasing him, but nothing overly dramatic. Indycar threw a full course yellow for debris, and I think that was where Helio got out in front of Ryan, during the pit stops during the caution. As has happened for most of the year, once the track went back to green, a car that had been leading (Briscoe) could then not pass a car that had gotten in front of him through pit work. (Helio)

There was one more cautiion when AJ IV crashed. I don't think anyone pitted that time. My wife and daughters came in from a movie about that time, so I missed exactly what happened.

NickFalzone
8th June 2009, 16:34
I haven't thought about this a whole lot, but the issue on ovals this season seems to be that the IRL has restricted many parts of the car that were not restricted last season. This has had the effect of bunching up the field... sort of. The times in qualifying and speeds during the race are closer than before, from the front to the back of the field. However, this has not made the racing more exciting, or caused more or less wrecks. It's basically created a parade of cars that get stuck in a position all race. They may be slightly faster than the one in front, but because all the speeds are so close, even the front guys have trouble getting around the back markers. It's kind of like restrictor plate racing, but with only a single racing line. I think they need to open up the rules again, or do something about the tires. I've never seen such a boring race at Texas.

coogmaster
8th June 2009, 16:50
I haven't thought about this a whole lot, but the issue on ovals this season seems to be that the IRL has restricted many parts of the car that were not restricted last season. This has had the effect of bunching up the field... sort of. The times in qualifying and speeds during the race are closer than before, from the front to the back of the field. However, this has not made the racing more exciting, or caused more or less wrecks. It's basically created a parade of cars that get stuck in a position all race. They may be slightly faster than the one in front, but because all the speeds are so close, even the front guys have trouble getting around the back markers. It's kind of like restrictor plate racing, but with only a single racing line. I think they need to open up the rules again, or do something about the tires. I've never seen such a boring race at Texas.

A quote from Curt Cavin's article today in The Indianapolis Star:

"Dixon said the IRL officials have 'gone too far' with aerodynamic restrictions intended to level the playing field among the teams with varying budgets. The most recent change was standardizing the length of the cars at 122 inches.

'When you get up close to people you're matched up in speed with, there's no such thing as racing,' Dixon said after finishing third. 'It's kind of follow the leader.'"

They definitely need to change this. I've never been more bored with the type of racing we are seeing in IndyCar than this year, both on ovals AND road/street courses. It seems like the only excitement happens on a road/street course when it rains, which has not happened since St. Pete last year.

A simple solution in my book would be to raise the rev limit from 10300 to 10500. The same red and white cars would dominate, but I bet this would allow the cars to close up on each other a bit easier. I'm no engineer, but it seems like SOMETHING easy like that can be done to throw a slight curveball out there and make the racing better.

indycool
8th June 2009, 16:56
Well, let's look at it a different way.

One, Danica was on the low side and Marco on the high side throughout their battle at the end.

Now, in the past, when Penske's guys are in a posiition to race each other, Penske tells them to go ahead and race, just bring both cars back in one piece.

In the past, Ganassi has hedged his bets on team orders, splitting his cars on pit stops when weather is threatening, for example, leaving one in front and fueling the other.

Now we go to Andretti Green. Michael Andretti owns both cars and manages Danica's from pit road.

1. Did Michael tell Danica to move over?
2. If so, did Danica fail to do it?
3. Did Michael say nothing at all and/or just let 'em race?

SarahFan
8th June 2009, 17:38
bottomline is...

it appears there is no love lost between Marco and Danica....

ChicagocrewIRL
8th June 2009, 18:06
I'm usually the IRL's biggest cheerleader and I am a big fan of oval racing but what we saw at Texas this past weekend was a joke.

The IRL has regulationed and spec'ed itself so much that watching the spin cycle on my Kenmore washer is more exciting.

To quote our good friend Kosuke Matsuura "It's **** disappointing."

chuck34
8th June 2009, 18:17
I'm usually the IRL's biggest cheerleader and I am a big fan of oval racing but what we saw at Texas this past weekend was a joke.

The IRL has regulationed and spec'ed itself so much that watching the spin cycle on my Kenmore washer is more exciting.

To quote our good friend Kosuke Matsuura "It's **** disappointing."

I reluctantly have to agree with this. They need to open the rules up. Sure it may force some of the "low" end teams out, or maybe they'll be able to think up something clever and become a "high" end team.

NickFalzone
8th June 2009, 18:27
I'll take a low car count with good racing over big car count and follow the leader. 2007 had maybe 17 or 18 starting on the grid, but that was a fairly exciting race. 2008 less so, and this year's was terrible.

chuck34
8th June 2009, 19:12
I'll take a low car count with good racing over big car count and follow the leader. 2007 had maybe 17 or 18 starting on the grid, but that was a fairly exciting race. 2008 less so, and this year's was terrible.

You can have both. Get rid of engine leases, open up chassis specs (at least somewhat), and you'll see more cars. Cost will go down, variety will go up, and racing will get better.

I've never understood how people think that spec racing is any cheaper than open racing. Does anyone really think that Chip and Roger are spending any less now to dominate than they would on an open formula?

Here's a question. Is it cheaper to field a competitive car (mid-pack) now with all the spec restrictions than it was in the late '90s when the formula was "relatively" open?

racer69
8th June 2009, 20:02
I think most people refer to the sport as "motor racing", not "motor winning". I like to see people race each other, not just tool around by themselves with a big lead.

So now we are criticizing drivers for going too fast?? Is that not the point of it all?? What is racing coming too....

The biggest question of all i have is why was the 'debris' caution out for over 10 laps!!

indycool
8th June 2009, 22:00
Referring to points a page or two ago.......

Mark in Oshawa
11th June 2009, 00:34
I didn't see the race, but I have never been a big fan of this type of oval for OW racing anyhow. I think the ONLY way you can make this sort of racing exciting is force the cars to have to slow down to make the corners. That is, take the wings off or make them small and restrict the amount of ground effects. Then the drivers can drive like jack the bear into the corners, but it will be their own skill and mechanical grip that will get them through the corner. Ole Danica isn't going to be blocking Marco because she will be too busy looking for a spot on the track that her car will work on.

When Milka Duno can practice and be in the top 10 in speed, you have made this sport too easy.....