PDA

View Full Version : Rally Great Britain 2009

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

AnnieJ
28th May 2009, 09:15
Hello All

Please can you help me? Does anyone know what is happening with the Welsh Rally BG 2009? I had planned on going as a surprise for my partner but no one seems to know if it is still going ahead.................so I am consulting the oracles!! :)

Whinlatter
4th June 2009, 13:27
The organisers are ready to go with releasing route details etc., but can't do so until the dispute between the sponsors (Welsh Assembly Government) and promoters has been resolved.

If it can't be resolved and ends up in the courts, I suspect the sponsors will win and the rally will have no title sponsor and a £3m funding deficit, making it quite possible that the rally won't run...... :(

AndyRAC
4th June 2009, 13:59
The organisers are ready to go with releasing route details etc., but can't do so until the dispute between the sponsors (Welsh Assembly Government) and promoters has been resolved.

If it can't be resolved and ends up in the courts, I suspect the sponsors will win and the rally will have no title sponsor and a £3m funding deficit, making it quite possible that the rally won't run...... :(

Interesting piece in this weeks MNews, by Jerry Williams - regarding RallyGB. He reckons they (IMS/MSA) should bite the bullet and accept that they won't get the money off WAG - and run a 'back-to-basics' event.
While I agree, I can't see it happening - what needs to be asked is, Where does all the money go? The old RAC's didn't need that kind of funding - it's basically now a 'cash-cow' and needs to be reigned in.

306 Cosworth
5th June 2009, 09:38
The event is running regardless of what happens apparently.

MJW
5th June 2009, 17:07
And long term political supporter Rt Hon Peter Hain has just been re-appointed at Secretary for State for Wales.(friday afternoon 5th june) Peter is a true petrol head and was one of the big political hitters to behind the Wales Rally GB concept. Time to kick some a$$ and sort this current impasse out.
Always trouble when you have Government bodies sponsoring rallies, political whim changes like the wind..........not good, get a commercial rather than government sponsor.

AndyRAC
5th June 2009, 21:54
And long term political supporter Rt Hon Peter Hain has just been re-appointed at Secretary for State for Wales.(friday afternoon 5th june) Peter is a true petrol head and was one of the big political hitters to behind the Wales Rally GB concept. Time to kick some a$$ and sort this current impasse out.
Always trouble when you have Government bodies sponsoring rallies, political whim changes like the wind..........not good, get a commercial rather than government sponsor.

Must admit, I'm not keen on a Government/Regional Assembly sponsoring an event like this. Are any other World Rallies or Grand Prix sponsored like this?
I may be wrong, but I get the feeling it is now thought of as being a Welsh event - and that it is their event. Press releases about £10million for the Welsh economy - and that the event can't be lost for Wales. Excuse me, it's the British round of the WRC.
I have 2 thoughts about this issue:
Yes, it should run as it's our only chance to see the top cars/drivers in UK.
No, because there is the chance that changes could be made regarding the organising/financing of the event. It surely can't go on fleecing spectators.

wotaguy
6th June 2009, 21:19
i agree with you andy, with the I.R.C. coming to Scotland, and the RAC rally growing from strength to strength , and both events have an itinary will spectators abandon WalesGB , and book there time off , and spend thier cash on those events , just a thought

MJW
6th June 2009, 21:37
i agree with you andy, with the I.R.C. coming to Scotland, and the RAC rally growing from strength to strength , and both events have an itinary will spectators abandon WalesGB , and book there time off , and spend thier cash on those events , just a thought
I think this is precisely what the sponsor is seeing......... Committed money to WRC when there were more than two teams, overall coverage was better, now a combination of factors, including the negativity on rallyforums about WRC is causing that sponsor to think we want out. Ryder cup golf doesnt have the negativity / confusion currently surrounding WRC. ISC may 'big it up (wrc) at every opportunity' but truth is IRC has the teams and the drivers and 'more traditional rally format' the suits didnt listen in time.

wotaguy
7th June 2009, 11:36
very intresting point MJW, about the sponsers, true about the Ryder Cup.oh well we will watch this space.......

306 Cosworth
8th June 2009, 16:55

I'll still do Rally GB. When else do you get to see the worlds best? :D

MJW
8th June 2009, 17:35
interesting slant on this in gpweek.com from respected journalist Martin Holmes. IMS (the section of the ASN running the rally) keep saying the event is in danger of not running due to sponsor pull out, Morrie Chandler on behalf of FIA rallies committe say that IMS should 'come clean' and either say if the rally will run regardless of sponsor withdrawal, or cancel teh event. Cancelling could leave IMS / RACMSA liable for sanctions and this could jeopardise future IMS events in UK, including any FIA event, that means Rally Scotland. This must be sorted before the World Council meeting on 24th June .

AndyRAC
8th June 2009, 20:47
interesting slant on this in gpweek.com from respected journalist Martin Holmes. IMS (the section of the ASN running the rally) keep saying the event is in danger of not running due to sponsor pull out, Morrie Chandler on behalf of FIA rallies committe say that IMS should 'come clean' and either say if the rally will run regardless of sponsor withdrawal, or cancel teh event. Cancelling could leave IMS / RACMSA liable for sanctions and this could jeopardise future IMS events in UK, including any FIA event, that means Rally Scotland. This must be sorted before the World Council meeting on 24th June .

While I'm no fan of IMS - they're just a money making machine - I'm slightly confused by what WAG are saying. They seem to be still saying that as far as they're concerned RallyGB is a biennial event. This isn't true - RallyGB is pencilled in for next year. Having said that, when they decided to pull out, it wasn't on next year's calendar. So I'm not sure were things stand. Still don't like the attitude of IMS - Wish somebody at the MSA would grow balls and wind IMS up - it's been nothing but a disaster, and out of touch with what a lot of people want.

AnnieJ
10th June 2009, 11:16
Thanks Guys for the feedback, but it still looks like there is no definative answer to this out there yet. Any idea where I might go to find out?

MJW
10th June 2009, 11:21
Decision due to be taken today (wednesday) source autosport.com

AndyRAC
10th June 2009, 11:59
Decision due to be taken today (wednesday) source autosport.com

While I'm no fan of the organisers - I think it will run. Mainly, because if it didn't there could repurcusions for other FiA events organised by the ASN - in this case, MSA. So that would mean British GP, IRC Rally Scotland.

MrJan
10th June 2009, 12:00
Sod the Rally GB and go to the R.A.C instead, that's what I'm planning on doing as it's cheaper and more fun IMO. The one down side is that it means travelling to Scotland which can be a bit of an effort from the SW.

turves
10th June 2009, 12:18
Sod the Rally GB and go to the R.A.C instead, that's what I'm planning on doing as it's cheaper and more fun IMO. The one down side is that it means travelling to Scotland which can be a bit of an effort from the SW.

Are there no flights from Bristol, Newquay or somewhere and then hire a car? Worth looking into maybe

AnnieJ
10th June 2009, 13:11
Thanks you very much MJW and AndyRAC, I'll keep a look out for the result! :)
Can't go to Scotland I'm afraid and my other half really wants to catch the Staduim event on the saturday night so not much choice of where to go.

AndyRAC
10th June 2009, 13:48
Can't go to Scotland I'm afraid and my other half really wants to catch the Staduim event on the saturday night so not much choice of where to go.

Not sure they are using the Millenium Stadium......

...but don't quote me!!

MJW
10th June 2009, 13:48
Well from what I have been told the route doesnt include any superspecial this year. Despite posturing, and I dont know what decision will be taken today, the route is prepared, the service park defined and a lot of advanced planning already gone on, even during the dispute. I think WAG wont move and its up to IMS/MSA to decide if they will run the rally with their own funding or an alternative sponsor. If it doesnt run it will be a shame because the stages are up there with the best in the world, well NZ, Finland, and Sweden for 'drivers roads'

wotaguy
10th June 2009, 14:20
as far as i was aware, im led to believe ,there wont be a saturday night stadium stage, due to Wales rugby commintments, i myself am tempted with Scotland if i can raise funds, hard ,when your on disability, might avertise for car share lol. :)

big_sw2000
10th June 2009, 14:34
Deffently no Millenium stadium this year.
Just wondering, where in Cardiff service and shakedown, will be this year. As they are not using SA1, or Swansea. Think Pengellar forest will be to far for shakedown.
Is there anything sutible for shakedown around Cardiff.

AndyRAC
10th June 2009, 15:15
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75985

AnnieJ
10th June 2009, 16:06
Thanks all, so just I get it absolutely right - definatley no Saturday night Stadium event planned?

Simmi
10th June 2009, 16:18
Thanks all, so just I get it absolutely right - definatley no Saturday night Stadium event planned?

I wouldn't let the lack of the stadium special put you off. They are usually pretty poor to say the least.

I know it's more difficult as far as access but the other stages will be so much more rewarding.

MJW
10th June 2009, 16:34
Glad that IMS have decided to run the rally. At least that gives time for either a vigorous pursuit of the legal case, or time for a compromise to be reached, now that the pressure of deadlines is removed. Politics can change things, afterall its only since friday that Peter Hain has been in charge of Wales, if a decision was made so soon it would to back the event (even if they had the time) that would have given people the impressin that it was Peter spending public money on his sport.

wotaguy
10th June 2009, 16:59
i agree with simmi, i went stadium last year , and ok i was up in the gods, but i feel it lacked the exciting of previous years , and bloody cold as well :eek:

AndyRAC
10th June 2009, 19:23
Glad that IMS have decided to run the rally. At least that gives time for either a vigorous pursuit of the legal case, or time for a compromise to be reached, now that the pressure of deadlines is removed. Politics can change things, afterall its only since friday that Peter Hain has been in charge of Wales, if a decision was made so soon it would to back the event (even if they had the time) that would have given people the impressin that it was Peter spending public money on his sport.

I wonder if the MSA are going to look for a Title sponsor for 1 year? Or will it be known as MSA Rally GB. It's a sad indictment of the sport/event if it can't get a sponsor, even for 1 year.

I think it was the right decision to go ahead - especially if it is true that there could be repercussions regarding other FiA events held in UK, e;g British GP, IRC Rally Scotland, etc

MJW
10th June 2009, 20:07

306 Cosworth
10th June 2009, 20:17
The event is running regardless of what happens apparently.

:D :p :

Allyc85
10th June 2009, 20:39
Not even sure if im going this year but im so glad to hear irs been saved :D

306 Cosworth
10th June 2009, 20:42
I'll be going for definite, just hope they run Hafren and Myherin again :up:

Allyc85
10th June 2009, 21:56
And no ice or snow... ;)

MartijnS
10th June 2009, 23:01
Great news. We'll be there for sure :D

AndyRAC
11th June 2009, 08:07
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75992

306 Cosworth
11th June 2009, 11:36
Great news. We'll be there for sure :D

Can you bring some of the Dutch competitors over too? :D

J4MIE
15th June 2009, 11:25
Went to the millennium stadium for the superspecial in 2007 and it has to be the dullest stage I have ever seen in my life, and I have seen a lot of dull stages!! :s You could argue that the atmosphere makes up for it, but it wasn't even half full. And the traffic getting to it in the first place meant we missed the start even though we went to Crychan to give ourselves as much time as possible.

RAC gets my vote, I'd follow that down to Wales if it came to it :up:

AndyRAC
15th June 2009, 12:46
Went to the millennium stadium for the superspecial in 2007 and it has to be the dullest stage I have ever seen in my life, and I have seen a lot of dull stages!! :s You could argue that the atmosphere makes up for it, but it wasn't even half full. And the traffic getting to it in the first place meant we missed the start even though we went to Crychan to give ourselves as much time as possible.

RAC gets my vote, I'd follow that down to Wales if it came to it :up:

I'm not sure that would ever happen - everybody seems to be happy with the current set up. It would require an extra day - though I'm sure it would be well worth it.

big_sw2000
18th June 2009, 17:04
The Rally GB Timetable has been published in Motorsport News this week.

Thursday 22 October

Ceremonial Start - 18:30

Friday 23 October

SS1: Hafren 1 - 09:55
SS2: Sweet Lamb 1 - 10:36
SS3: Myherin 1 - 10:54

Remote Service - Built Wells, no public access. (Rally fans only then? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:bbs.scoobynet.com/get/images/smilies/lol1.gif)

SS4: Hafren 2 - 14:04
SS5: Sweet Lamb 2 - 14:45
SS6: Myherin 2 - 15:03

Service (Cardiff Bay) - 18:56

Saturday 24 October

Service (Cardiff Bay) - 07:10

SS7: Rhondda 1 - 08:33
SS8: Crychan 1 - 10:31
SS9: Halfway 1 - 10:58

Service (Cardiff Bay) - 13:18

SS10: Rhondda 2 - 14:56
SS11: Crychan 2 - 16:54
SS12: Halfway 2 - 17:21

Service (Cardiff Bay) - 19:34

Sunday 25 October

Service (Cardiff Bay) - 07:10

SS13: Port Talbot 1 - 08:28
SS14: Rheola 1 - 09:27
SS15: Port Talbot 2 - 11:08
SS16: Rheola 2 - 12:07

Service (Cardiff Bay) - 13:55

Ceremonial Finish - 14:40

Total of 215.92 miles of stages.

Notes:

Hafren increased in length from 11.86 to 19.97 miles.[/*:m:3hl9eo66]
Resolfen and it's awful viewing points is gone, in comes a revamped Rhondda.[/*:m:3hl9eo66]
Walters Arena SSS is dropped.[/*:m:3hl9eo66]
Millennium Stadium is dropped.[/*:m:3hl9eo66]
Service moves from SA1 Waterfront to Cardiff Bay.[/*:m:3hl9eo66]
No mid-morning service on Sunday, just a re group between the two runs of Port Talbot and Rheola.[/*:m:3hl9eo66]

The route will officially be published on June 29th.

big_sw2000
18th June 2009, 17:07
So any one know of a large piece of land down Cardiff bay, for service.
And it makes Pengella Forest to far away for shakedown. :confused:

Looks like Hafren will include Sweet Lamb this year.

306 Cosworth
18th June 2009, 17:24
Looks like Hafren will include Sweet Lamb this year.

How's that possible if Sweet Lamb is a seperate stage ;)

I'll be heading for Hafren by the looks of it :up:

Hopefully get away from the speccy areas again.

big_sw2000
18th June 2009, 17:39
How's that possible if Sweet Lamb is a seperate stage ;)

I'll be heading for Hafren by the looks of it :up:

Hopefully get away from the speccy areas again.
Ooops blonde moment :grenade:

alexlake
18th June 2009, 21:02
I for one cant wait! for all the problems people have with WRC (I actually dont mind it as it is!) I love wales rally so much, must book a room soon as possible.

How good are the mid wales stages, because I missed those last year?

MJW
18th June 2009, 21:38
Mid Wales are probably the best stages of the rally, but dont tell anyone, thats a secret, they are the northern hemisphere equivalent of NZ, but I include Route 60 (1/2way stage) in that.

big_sw2000
18th June 2009, 22:22
Mid Wales are probably the best stages of the rally, but dont tell anyone, thats a secret, they are the northern hemisphere equivalent of NZ, but I include Route 60 (1/2way stage) in that.
Oh i agree, mid Wales Stages are the best. But if you can get out on Halfway, going over Epynt (Route 60) as us locals now it, amazing.

sal
19th June 2009, 15:02
The MSA appear to have taken the view that they will win the court case, and therefore long term get the money back. The penalty from the FIA for not running the rally would probaly be considerably more than the £1.5M they will be spending propping the Wales 12 car up so guess as this is UK motorsport licence fee money they feel the gamble is worth while. Guess they wont be winning any friends in corridors of Cardiff and Whitehall if they win the court case and just hope that there wont be any negative repercussions for rallying in Wales and the rest of the UK.

alexlake
19th June 2009, 17:58
Oh i agree, mid Wales Stages are the best. But if you can get out on Halfway, going over Epynt (Route 60) as us locals now it, amazing.

Im happy just to find a quiet spot without the crowds and cook a few sausages while waiting!

alexlake
20th June 2009, 17:31
Booked my room, and looking forward to it! roll on october.....

jbmarcus21
30th June 2009, 21:07
somebody says where is that big jump ? in the beginning of the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GbkBiKnO50&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.rallyeforce.free.fr%2Fview topic.php%3Ff%3D20%26t%3D40%26start%3D2810&feature=player_embedded

??
thanks ;)

ARF
30th June 2009, 21:19
That's on Port Talbot stage.

jbmarcus21
30th June 2009, 21:21
ok big thanks.. the Sunday tihs year .. but you know where is localized it ?

pettersolberg29
30th June 2009, 21:48
Its about a mile long walk from car park...

I'll get back to you - but someone else will know I'm sure. It's very easy to get too.

J4MIE
30th June 2009, 21:50
ok big thanks.. the Sunday tihs year .. but you know where is localized it ?

Approximately here http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=port+talbot&countryCode=GB#map=51.57995,-3.70454|15|4&dp=os&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:51.58251:-3.7063:15|port%20talbot|

jbmarcus21
1st July 2009, 10:28
thanks a lot ;)

So, it is the first time i will go to Wales GB RAlly, so do you know some nice place to see the rally ?

And for the pass entry, it is better to buy full ticket (150€ ??) or to pay the entry for each special stage in start of it ? ... It less expensive to buy each stage not ?
thanks ;)

AndyRAC
1st July 2009, 10:42
thanks a lot ;)

So, it is the first time i will go to Wales GB RAlly, so do you know some nice place to see the rally ?

And for the pass entry, it is better to buy full ticket (150€ ??) or to pay the entry for each special stage in start of it ? ... It less expensive to buy each stage not ?
thanks ;)

Have the Ticket prices been released yet? They surely can't be going to charge the same as last year - or are they?

MJW
1st July 2009, 11:13
Probaly more, IMS need to get their money from somewhere, now that they have lost their sponsor, (whom I'm told weren't happy with the ticket pricing, as it put the event in a negative light - they wanted more people to come)

jbmarcus21
1st July 2009, 11:26
Have the Ticket prices been released yet? They surely can't be going to charge the same as last year - or are they?

not again on line, but i think is approximately that price ?

J4MIE
1st July 2009, 20:58
I think the full pass was £99 last year, so closer to €100. They may decide to keep prices the same this year to give even greater value to the fans who buy it :s

AndyRAC
1st July 2009, 22:21
I think the full pass was £99 last year, so closer to €100. They may decide to keep prices the same this year to give even greater value to the fans who buy it :s

Now compare to the WTCC weekend at Brands Hatch in 2 weeks -
Advance Weekend camping £15
Advance Weekend Ticket £34

Bit if a difference, isn't it? Both FiA World Championships.

To be blunt - we're being royally ripped off. If they lessened the prices, more people might turn up......

Fly
2nd July 2009, 07:53

To be blunt - we're being royally ripped off. If they lessened the prices, more people might turn up......

Maybe they don't want too many people for security reason. So many stages have been cancelled in the past because of that.
What do you think?

MrJan
6th July 2009, 11:45

Especially considering how much more you'll see at the WTCC. Sadly though the cost of insurance and the hire of Forest Comission tracks (some extortionate price charged by the mile and car I believe) means that it probably costs quite a lot more to put on a rally than a roundy roundy :mark:

J4MIE
6th July 2009, 21:30
Forestry Commission Charges for 2009:

Special Stage Rallies
Primary usage - £573
Secondary usage - £340

Both per mile.

AndyRAC
6th July 2009, 23:14
Especially considering how much more you'll see at the WTCC. Sadly though the cost of insurance and the hire of Forest Comission tracks (some extortionate price charged by the mile and car I believe) means that it probably costs quite a lot more to put on a rally than a roundy roundy :mark:

That's one reason, not helped by the MSA not trying to get a better deal with FC. It's not that long ago it was £5 per car, though I remember paying £10 in Hafren and seeing the cars twice, and being able to pick which car park I wanted, as opposed to last year being told were to park!
I'm not naive to say we shoyldn't have to pay, however, a fair price would encourage maybe more fans - though maybe they don't want that!

AndyRAC
7th July 2009, 12:45
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76754

Interesting......

BTCC2
7th July 2009, 18:11
If it is to leave Wales it should return to the Hamsterley Forest area in the North East.

Allyc85
7th July 2009, 18:14
lol hope not being from the south west!

J4MIE
7th July 2009, 20:59
Surely they must mean either Newcastle or Carlisle using Kielder, the lake district and lots of others around there. Or perhaps a tie-in with rally yorkshire?

Trying not to get my hopes up too much... alas the roads in these areas would struggle with the amount of rally traffic I fear.

Rallyst3ve
7th July 2009, 22:18
Good news then hopefully. Not that i have anything against Wales but it has been based in the same small spot for too long now and needs a big change. It would be good if the organisers could find a suitable host town/city which would allow stages in North Wales to be used on one day and then on the other days head up north for stages in Grizedale and Kielder etc.

AndyRAC
8th July 2009, 12:44
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76775

This bloke is just out of touch with reality.....

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76776

I wonder if RallyGB is one of those events he's talking about?

MJW
8th July 2009, 13:21
[quote="AndyRAC"]http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76775

QUOTE]

The point is IF there was the will there from the organisers you could run an amazing event in Wales, we have stretched to Mid Wales last year, and again this year, but with the relaxation of the rules the prospect of mixing the asphalt roads of Epynt, linking with 1/2way, Crychan, Radnor, Sweet Lamb, Hafren, Tarenig (Pikes Peak) Dyfi, Dyfnant, and Clocaenog would be amazing. Throw in a night leg, not some token twilight stuff, a few remote services at Builth and Dolgellau, and wow, turn the clock back 25 years ago before the start of 9-5 rallying that was being pushed for back in the last days of Group B.

alexlake
9th July 2009, 22:17
Anyone got any info when the tickets might go on sale? they have been on sale by this point in the past? or are they still trying to pull a random excessive price out of thin air??!!

AndyRAC
9th July 2009, 23:17
Anyone got any info when the tickets might go on sale? they have been on sale by this point in the past? or are they still trying to pull a random excessive price out of thin air??!!

I think you've answered your own question. They were meant to be announced today, so far I haven't heard anything. But as the MSA are backing the event, they will want to recoup as much as is possible - so expect the same or even more than last year - or I'll eat my hat!! :D
On a related issue, in this weeks MNews, there is an article by John Fife, regarding the £50 pass for IRC Rally Scotland - and his concerns for charging that much. That's what you get from IMS/Rip-off Britain!!

306 Cosworth
20th July 2009, 14:44
July 22nd is supposed to be the release date for ticket info. So something should be available Wednesday if all goes to plan.

Also WAG have agreed to give ISC £1million-£1.5million for this years event.

alexlake
20th July 2009, 17:38
July 22nd is supposed to be the release date for ticket info. So something should be available Wednesday if all goes to plan.

Also WAG have agreed to give ISC £1million-£1.5million for this years event.

getting closer to a price then!

Leon
22nd July 2009, 14:16
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77125

should I add more? WRC is really in veeeeryyy bad shape

AndyRAC
22nd July 2009, 14:23
A complete joke!! I'd be inclined to blame IMS.....

J4MIE
22nd July 2009, 19:38
Pfffft and I just sorted my trip down today, what a shame....

MJW
22nd July 2009, 20:08
I think it time a moderator changed the thread title to Rally GB

J4MIE
22nd July 2009, 21:56
Done :p :

MartijnS
23rd July 2009, 17:30
So, if I read it right everything is going as planned anyway or do I miss something? :)

MJW
23rd July 2009, 17:39
So, if I read it right everything is going as planned anyway or do I miss something? :)
Everything is going ahead as scheduled, this dispute is between the sponsor and the organiser. The organisers are funding the running of this years event.

alexlake
9th September 2009, 17:12
looks like it might all come down to wales to decide the championship. Thats good news, keeps it exciting to the end!

Langdale Forest
9th September 2009, 20:18
I agree with that, even if Loeb wins it would be good it there was only a few seconds seperating Loeb and Hirvonen going into the last stage.

alexlake
9th September 2009, 22:23
I agree with that, even if Loeb wins it would be good it there was only a few seconds seperating Loeb and Hirvonen going into the last stage.

amen to that! :D

J4MIE
9th September 2009, 22:29
I might even venture down to see the finale :eek:

jbmarcus21
27th September 2009, 15:47
Google Earth Map of the rally online now : http://planetemarcus.free.fr/googleearthmap.htm

306 Cosworth
28th September 2009, 15:35
great work with the maps JB :D Looking forward to visiting Hafren on the Friday :)

Hartusvuori
28th September 2009, 16:18
According to GPweek, Aaron Burkart will drive C4 WRC in Rally GB. Perhaps same kind of deal that Ogier had last year...?

whereschris
28th September 2009, 19:18
Hi all

Just after a bit of advice...

got tickets for friday and sat of rally GB and was wondering what the best stages/places to watch were? Was thinking of doing Sweet Lamb, Builth Wells service and Hafren. Is this way too much? Are there really good places to see loads of the action? I've seen some great footage on youtube of Sweet Lamb.

Cheers

noel157
28th September 2009, 19:48
According to GPweek, Aaron Burkart will drive C4 WRC in Rally GB. Perhaps same kind of deal that Ogier had last year...?

Yes, same as Ogier last year (although Burkart came 2nd but 1st Citroen) , JWRC prize from the Citroen Junior Programme.

That should make 7 C4 cars on RGB, a record?
Loeb, Sordo, Solberg, Novikov, Rauntenbach, Ogier and Burkart.

alexlake
28th September 2009, 20:14
Hi all

got tickets for friday and sat of rally GB and was wondering what the best stages/places to watch were? Was thinking of doing Sweet Lamb, Builth Wells service and Hafren. Is this way too much? Are there really good places to see loads of the action? I've seen some great footage on youtube of Sweet Lamb.

Cheers

might be difficult, moving between the two stages.

AndyRAC
28th September 2009, 20:25
Hi all

Cheers

I'm sure I've read that they don't want you to move between the Mid Wales stages. Once you're at a stage, stay there for the whole day.

whereschris
28th September 2009, 20:51
thanks. I think i've read something similar too but thought it was just the Saturday stages. Will keep on investigating. Any advice would be really appreciated!

306 Cosworth
29th September 2009, 07:42

Cool, the more WRC cars the better :D

Barreis
29th September 2009, 07:47
I agree..

Xsara Fan
29th September 2009, 12:04
Yes, same as Ogier last year (although Burkart came 2nd but 1st Citroen) , JWRC prize from the Citroen Junior Programme.

Great! Mikko will take only one point ;)

MJW
29th September 2009, 12:20
And Andreas M.?

MJW
29th September 2009, 12:23

and Andreas M.?

Iskald
29th September 2009, 13:36
and Andreas M.?

Nothing settled for Andreas Mikkelsen at the moment. Lots of uncertainty after his accident last month. He is scheduled to do the Rally Bohemia in Czech Republic 16-17th of october, in what car I don`t know at the moment. This will be his first drive in a rally car after the accident where a 10 year old girl died after being hit by his Subaru. Andreas has had a very heavy and sad period the last couple of weeks, and noone knows how he will react when he is back behind the steeringwheel again. Hopefully it will go allright, and then possibly we will have the chance to see him in Wales also.

cali
29th September 2009, 17:39
Nothing settled for Andreas Mikkelsen at the moment. Lots of uncertainty after his accident last month. He is scheduled to do the Rally Bohemia in Czech Republic 16-17th of october, in what car I don`t know at the moment. This will be his first drive in a rally car after the accident where a 10 year old girl died after being hit by his Subaru. Andreas has had a very heavy and sad period the last couple of weeks, and noone knows how he will react when he is back behind the steeringwheel again. Hopefully it will go allright, and then possibly we will have the chance to see him in Wales also.
Yes, very pity about Andreas and the girl. This kind of accident has a big impact psychologically. But all the well to Andreas and i hope to see him soon back at rallying.

306 Cosworth
30th September 2009, 19:00
Steve Perez will be out in his 07 Focus WRC and Paul Bird will also be out for his first gravel outing in his newly built Focus WRC.

Pinto
30th September 2009, 19:51

yea yea sure bar loeb and solberg the rest wouldnt get near mikko and the focus ill be fairly hot sur over any other car it spends more time on english gravel than the rest

Allyc85
30th September 2009, 20:44
Only 49 entrys at the moment but im still really looking forward to it :D

Mums said what ever we do we have to go to service on saturday night, so with her friends hubby being an MSA steward I think theres a surprise in store :D

alexlake
30th September 2009, 21:51
For all its faults I can not wait till the rally start!

only a few weeks to go!

VFTS
1st October 2009, 14:56
Only 49 entrys at the moment but im still really looking forward to it :D

Mums said what ever we do we have to go to service on saturday night, so with her friends hubby being an MSA steward I think theres a surprise in store :D

Is there someplace where you can see the entrylist so far?

modri dirkac
2nd October 2009, 11:28
Ex Slovenian Champion Tomaž Kaučič will drive in a Subaru Impreza STi N14. He is very fast on tarmac (or better he was, because this year he did´t compete due to budget problems), but he isn't so used to gravel. We will see ... soon. ;)

Allyc85
2nd October 2009, 13:21
Is there someplace where you can see the entrylist so far?

Ive been looking but no luck so far :(

Im hoping theres a few S2000 cars entered as Sandells (spelling?) 207 sounded so sweet last year.

Mirek
2nd October 2009, 14:56
There should be at least Sandell and Brynildsen both with Fabia S2000. I expect more ;)

306 Cosworth
2nd October 2009, 20:26
Ally come up to the Cambrian Rally the week before. Brynildsen will be there with his Fabia S2000 :D

Still no sign of entry list. It is supposed to be announced today.

J4MIE
2nd October 2009, 23:10

I hope he recovers from it, must be very tough. I always think in these circumstances it is best to get out on the next event possible, I remember Barry Clark did this after his accident in Catalunya a few years ago. He was out in a local event here the next weekend.

I have still to decide if I am going to go down to Wales or not :s

Barreis
3rd October 2009, 15:19
http://www.rallygb.org/documents/2009_RGB_List_of_Entries_Received_-_Subject_to_FIA_Approval_2-10-09.pdf

Allyc85
3rd October 2009, 18:00
Ally come up to the Cambrian Rally the week before. Brynildsen will be there with his Fabia S2000 :D

Still no sign of entry list. It is supposed to be announced today.

I would mate, but im nearly over drawn already and I dont get paid to the 30th so il be at Smeatharpe instead lol.

306 Cosworth
3rd October 2009, 19:26
I would mate, but im nearly over drawn already and I dont get paid to the 30th so il be at Smeatharpe instead lol.

Ah no that's a bit ! :(

Allyc85
4th October 2009, 21:11
Yea tis a bit mate, could just say balls to it and stick it all on the credit card but we shall see lol.

Anyway Rally GB I think we are going to do Rhondda on the saturday followed by service and Rheola on the sunday.

bluuford
5th October 2009, 07:59
So, 64 entries instead of 49 like initially was said.

Brynmor Pierce
5th October 2009, 21:00
Plus the army landrovers, so basically 70..

Allyc85
7th October 2009, 21:18
Has anyone got a timetable for the event as the rallygb webpage for it isnt working at the moment.

MikeD
7th October 2009, 21:30
Steve Perez will be out in his 07 Focus WRC and Paul Bird will also be out for his first gravel outing in his newly built Focus WRC.

Paul Bird is missing from the entry list. I thought he would do both Spain and GB. Anybody know the reason why he's missing?

AndyRAC
7th October 2009, 21:57
17 WRCars.......that should be good....How many left at the end?

MJW
7th October 2009, 22:05
17 WRCars.......that should be good....How many left at the end?

I somehow doubt that Mr Novikov will be there at the end!

306 Cosworth
7th October 2009, 22:06
Paul Bird is missing from the entry list. I thought he would do both Spain and GB. Anybody know the reason why he's missing?

Not sure why he isn't doing it. It said in Motorsport News he planned to do Rally Spain and Rally GB with the new car.

Mikko Hirvonen now confirmed as running Course Car in the Focus WRC09 on the Cambrian Rally in North Wales the weekend before RGB. Very strong chance Seb Loeb will be there too in his C4 :D

Josti
7th October 2009, 22:53
I'm surprised to see father and son Kuipers entered with the Focus 06's, while they've been driving S14's already since may. Might have to do with experience.

PLuto
7th October 2009, 22:55
It isnt important, which car they will use...

Josti
7th October 2009, 23:06
It isnt important, which car they will use...

True, although I would be more excited to see some Subaru's for a change.

MartijnS
7th October 2009, 23:52
They kept the Focus 06's for gravel rallies. They only drive on tarmac with the S14's.

Wim_Impreza
8th October 2009, 10:12

Maybe he is in Portimão in Portugal for his World Superbike Team as they have their last weekend of the year in the same weekend too?

Mirek
8th October 2009, 12:40
Andy Burton entered Cambrian rally. Seeing his Peugeot Cosworth battling with big boys from WRC and PWRC will be for sure something special :)

Mintexmemory
8th October 2009, 13:10
Maybe he is in Portimão in Portugal for his World Superbike Team as they have their last weekend of the year in the same weekend too?
I would think the 'moments' he had on SS14 in Spain may have taught him that he or his Nav isn't up to the standard required for a top seed in WRC

Juha_Koo
8th October 2009, 14:08
In a Finnish interview Mikko said that he has never before seen dream about driving. But last weekend in Spain he saw himself pushing 110% fighting with Sebastien in the last stage of GB. The dream faded out before the finish. :)

JM has stated that he comes to GB to win but admits that the pace of Seb and Mikko might be unreachable. He's eased his aggressions by boxing. I hope JM leaves some aggression to his driving too. :D

Psycho!
8th October 2009, 14:58
He's eased his aggressions by boxing. I hope JM leaves some aggression to his driving too. :D
He doesn't have a girlfriend?? :D

Allyc85
8th October 2009, 20:43
Anyone know what traffic will be like getting out of Crychan 1 to get to Rhondda 2 as im concerned about traffic stopping us getting out of the car parks. Need to know ASAP :D

Cheers.

pettersolberg29
12th October 2009, 18:18
Ally - may be too late but its bad!

I'm really looking forward to this rally now. Going on Saturday and Sunday. It's the first time in over 3 or 4 years that there are 4 possible/probable winners. Loeb, Mikko, JML and Petter could all win this - should be a great battle.

alexlake
12th October 2009, 18:24
Ally - may be too late but its bad!

I'm really looking forward to this rally now. Going on Saturday and Sunday. It's the first time in over 3 or 4 years that there are 4 possible/probable winners. Loeb, Mikko, JML and Petter could all win this - should be a great battle.

I cant wait to get there :D hoping for a petter solberg victory, as long as loeb is infront of mikko, he will be allowed to win im sure.

Allyc85
12th October 2009, 18:24
Nah not too late mate. Weve decided to stick with doing both runs through Rhondda before getting back to Cardiff for service.

Not sure if we can switch car parks though if we buy a ticket on the gate?

pettersolberg29
12th October 2009, 18:28
Good idea Ally. Last year a ticket on the gate was for one stage only, so no swapping stages, but I dont know about this year.

Allyc85
12th October 2009, 18:33
Do you know if I could swap car parks in Rhondda, would fill a bit of the long gap between runnings?

gloomyDAY
12th October 2009, 18:35
Rally GB seems really restrictive for fans.

Am I right? Rally Mexico is like a zoo. People drunk and passed out on the route!

I just hope Petter gets a win and restores his confidence. Also, I'm just crossing my fingers hoping that Mikko wins the championship. My dream scenario would be for Petter to be in the lead, Mikko second, and Loeb trailing. Then, Petter refusing to pull over and let Seb by to take the title. Will it happen? No. Can I dream? Sure.

AndyRAC
12th October 2009, 20:17
Rally GB seems really restrictive for fans.

Am I right? Rally Mexico is like a zoo. People drunk and passed out on the route!

I just hope Petter gets a win and restores his confidence. Also, I'm just crossing my fingers hoping that Mikko wins the championship. My dream scenario would be for Petter to be in the lead, Mikko second, and Loeb trailing. Then, Petter refusing to pull over and let Seb by to take the title. Will it happen? No. Can I dream? Sure.

RallyGB is really restrictive for fans. They completely over-reacted after the incident at Brechfa in 2001. Add to the fact that they usually only have 1 car park per area and you have quite a lot of speccies in a small area - instead of spreading them all out.

pettersolberg29
12th October 2009, 20:51
Do you know if I could swap car parks in Rhondda, would fill a bit of the long gap between runnings?

You could get there in time easily, but you'd have to park a long way away from the stage. It's fine if you know where you're going or if you want to cut off to a non-spectator area, but if you want to get to the 'official' spectator area then it may be a challenge!

blissard
12th October 2009, 22:35

It doesn't matter what Petter does, does it? Loeb must just be in front of Hirvonen to win, and Hirvonen must be in front of Loeb to win.

So there's no point in team orders this time, Petter can win, and I hope he does. He has won Rally GB four times before, he can do it again.

bluuford
13th October 2009, 07:41
It doesn't matter what Petter does, does it? Loeb must just be in front of Hirvonen to win, and Hirvonen must be in front of Loeb to win.

So there's no point in team orders this time, Petter can win, and I hope he does. He has won Rally GB four times before, he can do it again.

Yes, that is why we might expect superb rally :-) Beacuse this time Loeb, Hirvonen, Latvala, Solberg, Sordo and even Ogier are all allowed to win :-) And I think that they are all able to fight for the win there.

Juha_Koo
13th October 2009, 22:24
I learned an interesting fact about Rally GB '09 from a 30-minute radio interview where Mikko and Jarmo we're interviewed.

In the middle of the rally clocks are turned from Western European Summer Time (UTC+1) to Western European Time (UTC+0). Jarmo said that he will more than double check his watches. :)

And then a really difficult rally history question: When was the last time that time has been changed while world championship rally has been live? I don't know the answer, just being curious. I'm guessing never.

bluuford
13th October 2009, 23:06
I learned an interesting fact about Rally GB '09 from a 30-minute radio interview where Mikko and Jarmo we're interviewed.

In the middle of the rally clocks are turned from Western European Summer Time (UTC+1) to Western European Time (UTC+0). Jarmo said that he will more than double check his watches. :)

And then a really difficult rally history question: When was the last time that time has been changed while world championship rally has been live? I don't know the answer, just being curious. I'm guessing never.

I am not sure but I think that it was rally Australia 2006 in Perth?

wwbroe
14th October 2009, 06:34
Forfait for Rally Great Britain for Novikov and his Citroen. Apparently he has been kicked out by Citroen Junior team. Wonder why that would be, maybe he had too litlle off's? :D

White Sauron
14th October 2009, 07:20

Honestly I suppose he was joking.
According to supplementary regulations, each rally event generally starts (and is held) in the only time zone. It means, that if the rally route crosses one or more time zones, reckoning is still made from the place where the event starts, OR from the time which was chosen as basic for the rally. At least this system works for rally-raids. For example, Dakar, starting from Europe, "lives in one time" for the whole distance despite crossing many countries and time zones.
So I suppose that rally GB will be held either in +1 or +0 zone from the beginning till the end, so no switch is made during it.

Priorat
14th October 2009, 08:34

Ral.li Catalunya has coincided with time change on Saturday of the event for some seasons and teams were prevented of it in the Rally Guide.
The change takes places in the night from Saturday to Sunday so no stage runing live at the time if it is what you mean.

Hartusvuori
14th October 2009, 12:20
Forfait for Rally Great Britain for Novikov and his Citroen. Apparently he has been kicked out by Citroen Junior team. Wonder why that would be, maybe he had too litlle off's? :D

Could Xsara Fan or someone close to Novikov comfirm or shoot down this please?

MrJan
14th October 2009, 12:24
Honestly I suppose he was joking.
According to supplementary regulations, each rally event generally starts (and is held) in the only time zone.

It's not really a change of time zone though, just a bizarre ritual.

Juha_Koo
14th October 2009, 12:46
According to supplementary regulations, each rally event generally starts (and is held) in the only time zone.

Yes, the crews will not cross any time zone border. But during the rally United Kingdom switches from Daylight Saving Time (DST) to "normal" time. Thus the change of times.

The change takes places in the night from Saturday to Sunday so no stage runing live at the time if it is what you mean.

Yes, I know that clocks are turned in the middle of the night due to the fact that we do it here in Finland every spring and autumn. But isn't rally live everytime the official rally time is ticking? ;)

ProRally
14th October 2009, 18:02

Bizar.....

Josti
14th October 2009, 18:12

Obviously, but it was too soon for him anyway. He should do S2000 World Cup next year or maybe IRC.

alexlake
14th October 2009, 18:29
The time change is good for us fans, it will be an extra hour in bed on sunday morning.

Xsara Fan
14th October 2009, 18:35
Could Xsara Fan or someone close to Novikov comfirm or shoot down this please?

Novikov will not start in GB. But I don`t know a reason...

pettersolberg29
14th October 2009, 18:44
So have I got this right?
On Sunday morning the first stage is Port Talbot at 08:28. Does it stay at 8:28 or effectively move to 9:28 i.e. one hour extra at midnight?

alexlake
14th October 2009, 19:37
So have I got this right?
On Sunday morning the first stage is Port Talbot at 08:28. Does it stay at 8:28 or effectively move to 9:28 i.e. one hour extra at midnight?

8.28 is 8.28, if the clocks change or not, they could move the clocks back 4 hours, but 8.28 will be the start. I see what you are saying, but it has no relevence when the clocks have changed, time is time ;)

pettersolberg29
14th October 2009, 19:42
Time is time, but if I go to bed at 11pm (for example) on Saturday, will the stage start 9 hours 28 mins later or 8 hours 28 mins later?
i.e. do the rally clocks go back an hour too?

Hartusvuori
14th October 2009, 20:24
Novikov will not start in GB. But I don`t know a reason...

Thanks. Even if Novikov have drove reckless it still is a shame nevertheless.

Francis44
14th October 2009, 20:45
How cool is that Novikov out and RautenBach still in!!!!

ARF
14th October 2009, 21:33
Anybody could drive in some junior team. Just show the cash. I'm sure no-one kicked Zhenja out of the team, he just ran out of cash or doesn't want to spend it meaninglessly anymore.
The "junior team" could probably run ten cars if there was enough customers. The name of the team isn't quit the same as the meaning of the team.

bluuford
15th October 2009, 09:00
Time is time, but if I go to bed at 11pm (for example) on Saturday, will the stage start 9 hours 28 mins later or 8 hours 28 mins later?
i.e. do the rally clocks go back an hour too?

Well, seems that you are having hard times with DST. If you go to bed at 11PM then the stage starts in 10h and 28 min:-) To make it in stone: you go to sleep at 11PM then you sleep 4 hours until 3AM, then you wake up and turn your watch one hour back to 2AM, then you sleep until 5 AM, that is another 3h. Then you wake up, brush your teeth, eat, take warm and waterproof clothes and leave room at 6AM that is another 1h. Now you drive yourself to the stage for another 1h (now the time is 7AM) and then you have another 1h and 28 min to wait for the first car.
So, in conclusion: From 11PM until 8:28 AM next morning you had 4h+3h+1h+1h+1h28min=10h28min.
If you do exactly like I advised, then you should be out of trouble ;-)

jbanbury
15th October 2009, 09:56
Well, seems that you are having hard times with DST. If you go to bed at 11PM then the stage starts in 10h and 28 min:-) To make it in stone: you go to sleep at 11PM then you sleep 4 hours until 3AM, then you wake up and turn your watch one hour back to 2AM, then you sleep until 5 AM, that is another 3h. Then you wake up, brush your teeth, eat, take warm and waterproof clothes and leave room at 6AM that is another 1h. Now you drive yourself to the stage for another 1h (now the time is 7AM) and then you have another 1h and 28 min to wait for the first car.
So, in conclusion: From 11PM until 8:28 AM next morning you had 4h+3h+1h+1h+1h28min=10h28min.
If you do exactly like I advised, then you should be out of trouble ;-)

lol :)

pettersolberg29
15th October 2009, 16:57
Thanks bluuford. Trouble is, I'm camping overnight at Port Talbot so all those times mean nothing to me...I'll be lost, tired and late.

Whatever will I do? ;)

J4MIE
15th October 2009, 21:00
Car camping overnight is the best option overall I always think.

Don't worry about the clocks going back, it does give you an extra hours sleep and as long as you change your clocks before going to sleep all will be fine in the morning :D

I have still to decide if I will go but am tempted to go down for the full event if I can speak to my boss in the morning :s

alexlake
15th October 2009, 21:12
we will be sleeping in our car on thursday night, im not looking forward to that bit to be honest!

whats the weather been like down in wales this week?

Hartusvuori
15th October 2009, 21:28
** “surprise driver” - confirmed **

The North Wales Car Club is pleased to announce they have confirmed an additional surprise driver for the Cambrian. All will be revealed on Friday afternoon at Scrutineering in Llandudno. Make sure you're there!

This message was posted on Cambrian rally's website few days ago. Could Loeb be labelled as "surprise driver" being such constant most of the time... ;-)

pettersolberg29
15th October 2009, 21:58
Weather has been ridiculously good recently - very dry and concerns of tyre wear.

I'm camping in my van for the 4th year running - get a real sleep on the flat with a nice warm sleeping bag with lots of space. I take a nice butane gas hob to cook some nice egs, bacon, beans etc.

Really looking forward to it now!

MJW
15th October 2009, 21:59
whats the weather been like down in wales this week?
Warm dry and sunny - honest!! - summer happened in the spring and for the last 6 weeks!! Long range forecast for the rally is a low of 4C at night and highs of 14C daytime, cloudy and sunny intervals

alexlake
15th October 2009, 22:06
Warm dry and sunny - honest!! - summer happened in the spring and for the last 6 weeks!! Long range forecast for the rally is a low of 4C at night and highs of 14C daytime, cloudy and sunny intervals

cool! sounds very un-wales like :D last year i slept in the car at -4 to -6 degrees. It was sooo cold!

pettersolberg29
15th October 2009, 22:11
I remember that - it was officially -8 at Port Talbot! I was more worried about the potential last-minute cancellation of the stage though, especially when I slid over numerous times on the icy path to the stage!!

alexlake
16th October 2009, 20:00
I remember that - it was officially -8 at Port Talbot! I was more worried about the potential last-minute cancellation of the stage though, especially when I slid over numerous times on the icy path to the stage!!

All part of what makes rally gb exciting!

Daniel
17th October 2009, 12:16
I'm at the Cambrian now and if Mikko is going flat out as he said he would then either I'm the pope or he's going to get beaten at Rally GB. Get your skates on for Rally GB Mikko or else!

Francis44
17th October 2009, 12:21
I'm at the Cambrian now and if Mikko is going flat out as he said he would then either I'm the pope or he's going to get beaten at Rally GB. Get your skates on for Rally GB Mikko or else!

Is he going slow??!!

Daniel
17th October 2009, 12:22
Ostberg just FLEW through. Perhaps a rally the week before the title decider isn't the best idea for Mikko? Nerves? Well we'll find out soon enough

Daniel
17th October 2009, 12:23
Francis, he wasn't slow slow but then again he didn't seem hugely fast as you'd expect. He's driving a test car too so can afford to bin it.

Francis44
17th October 2009, 12:42
Francis, he wasn't slow slow but then again he didn't seem hugely fast as you'd expect. He's driving a test car too so can afford to bin it.

Oh ok Thanks! Maybe he didn't find the perfect set up!!!!

Juha_Koo
17th October 2009, 13:00
He's driving a test car too so can afford to bin it.

Is it EU07 SUX? How about the livery, normal test car blanco or some additional stickers?

Daniel
17th October 2009, 13:27
Yep it's EU07SUX in white.

Brynmor Pierce
17th October 2009, 21:00
I would hardly say Mikko was slow, Mads though was well Mad..much respect to that man winning by nearly 2 minutes.

Daniel
17th October 2009, 21:45
I would hardly say Mikko was slow, Mads though was well Mad..much respect to that man winning by nearly 2 minutes.
Like I said he wasn't slow as such but if he was keeping to his word of going flat out then I'd be worried about his pace on Rally GB relative to Loeb because that just wasn't the sort of pace which is going to have Loeb quaking in his boots. I've seen flying Finns before and he didn't seem to be flying as much as I would have expected.

Brynmor Pierce
18th October 2009, 19:59
Like I said he wasn't slow as such but if he was keeping to his word of going flat out then I'd be worried about his pace on Rally GB relative to Loeb because that just wasn't the sort of pace which is going to have Loeb quaking in his boots. I've seen flying Finns before and he didn't seem to be flying as much as I would have expected.

Looked like a neat and tidy drive to me, to bring some much welcomed exposure to the event. (he actually beat the bogey on at least one stage!!!)

chrisi
19th October 2009, 11:45
heres my video from the weekends cambrian rally in which mikko hirvonen and mads ostberg used as a test for rally gb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAtuUL1Rmds

stay tuned for my rally gb video :D

jimakos
19th October 2009, 11:49
heres my video from the weekends cambrian rally in which mikko hirvonen and mads ostberg used as a test for rally gb

Great job great video!!
Thanks for sharing...

SubaruNorway
19th October 2009, 17:52

Very good video ;) But would prefere to not have music over the whole video.

pettersolberg29
19th October 2009, 18:23
Anyone know where the spectator area is at Port Talbot? Is it at marshal point 5?

Steve_PPP
19th October 2009, 18:48
Anyone know where the spectator area is at Port Talbot? Is it at marshal point 5?

yes, although you can spectate from anywhere between marshal point 4 and 5 by walking along through the trees. the jump is located at point 4.

Steve_PPP
19th October 2009, 18:52

great video, thanks!

some close calls with crazy spectators though, was at Sunseeker this year and it was just the same - luckily everyone seems to have more common sense at wrc events :D

pettersolberg29
19th October 2009, 19:13
Is it possible to get to the start of the stage (marshal point 1) easily from the car park at Port Talbot?

COD
20th October 2009, 09:01
Sorry. I didn't have time to browse through the whole thread. Where can I found entrylist?

jbmarcus21
20th October 2009, 12:47
Sorry. I didn't have time to browse through the whole thread. Where can I found entrylist?

http://planetemarcus.free.fr/grandebretagne09.htm

Hartusvuori
20th October 2009, 13:22
http://planetemarcus.free.fr/grandebretagne09.htm

Minus Novikov.

MJW
20th October 2009, 20:04
I have just realised Rally GB 2009 is the last WRC rally of the decade. I know its a sign of growing old but the last 10 years have flown by.

J.Lindstroem
20th October 2009, 20:30
I have just realised Rally GB 2009 is the last WRC rally of the decade. I know its a sign of growing old but the last 10 years have flown by.

I am young and i have the same strange feeling. The time between 1989 and 1999 feels enourmous compared to the gap between 1999 and 2009. Dousn't feel like that in Monte Carlo 2010 it will be ten years ago Panizzi won the first stage of the millenium... wonder who will win the last stage of the 2000's and then the first one of the new decade..

AndyRAC
20th October 2009, 20:59

Well, I've been watching the Greatest Years of Rallying 70's and 80's - how do you think we will view the noughties?
I happen to think it was the decade World Rallying sold it soul.

MJW
20th October 2009, 21:15
Lets indulge in a bit of nostalgia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N69yLKR-DvE

Wim_Impreza
20th October 2009, 21:20
It seems in this rally will be even dust.

Barreis
20th October 2009, 21:32
Lets indulge in a bit of nostalgia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N69yLKR-DvE

I like the video..

Doon
20th October 2009, 21:41
It seems in this rally will be even dust.

Nope! Its p*ssing down with rain in Wales!

alexlake
20th October 2009, 21:58
Nope! Its p*ssing down with rain in Wales!

great! go spread your misery elsewhere!. :D Only joking, cant believe its started raining now, it only needed to hold on another week :( :(

Doon
20th October 2009, 22:23
great! go spread your misery elsewhere!. :D Only joking, cant believe its started raining now, it only needed to hold on another week :( :(

We want rain that there is none of this road position/slowing down crap!

Anyway what is rally GB without mud?

alexlake
21st October 2009, 06:52
This is true, Wales and mud do go hand in hand. But it is difficult cooking sausages in the rain!

WRCfan
21st October 2009, 12:45
Just crank the BBQ up a notch, the sausages will be sweet as!

Remember watching the 1989RAC where Pentti won, rain and mud galore! Just feels more like rally GB seeing all the umbrellas and yellow wet weather gear lining the stages.

jimakos
21st October 2009, 16:07
This is true, Wales and mud do go hand in hand. But it is difficult cooking sausages in the rain!

Of course we need rain in U.K. in this rally!
For the sausages now I can't help you guys :D

chrisi
21st October 2009, 16:25
Great job great video!!
Thanks for sharing...
thanks alot :)

RS
21st October 2009, 16:27

Don't forget he was driving the most boring WRCar of all time.

Retlub Ecaps
21st October 2009, 18:47

According to this (http://wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=6292&desc=Mads+Ostberg+wins+Cambrian+Rally), Mikko was the zero car for the Cambrian rally, not a competitor.

bennizw
22nd October 2009, 09:35
Shakedown times so far:

http://www.rallygb.org/documents/Shakedown_1_-_Time_Order.pdf

Loeb just a fraction faster than Petter.

euskalteam
22nd October 2009, 10:28
New times of the SD at 10:00

http://www.rallygb.org/documents/Shakedown_2_-_Time_Order.pdf
http://www.rallygb.org/documents/Shakedown_2_-_Time_Order.pdf

Hartusvuori
22nd October 2009, 10:28
Only one run for Hirvonen after two hours...? Latvala so far clearly fastest.

bluuford
22nd October 2009, 10:31
Only one run for Hirvonen after two hours...? Latvala so far clearly fastest.

What is the point for Hirvonen to waste the resources of his car. He just completed another rally and had a lot of tests. maybe he does another run at the end to see how the road conditions are changing

Hartusvuori
22nd October 2009, 10:34
What is the point for Hirvonen to waste the resources of his car. He just completed another rally and had a lot of tests. maybe he does another run at the end to see how the road conditions are changing

He did the tests and Cambrian with another car, I suppose. But nevermind, I'm just curious.

bluuford
22nd October 2009, 10:39
He did the tests and Cambrian with another car, I suppose. But nevermind, I'm just curious.

Yes of course another car. That is why he do not need to do too many runs and waste the resources of the current car:-) Sorry if I was not very clear at the beginning. Therefore I do not understand why Loeb has done 3 runs already. He just tested as well.
Maybe he was worried that he was over 2 sek slower than Hironen on first run and over 4 sek slower than his teammate:-)

Hartusvuori
22nd October 2009, 10:55
Yes of course another car. That is why he do not need to do too many runs and waste the resources of the current car:-) Sorry if I was not very clear at the beginning. Therefore I do not understand why Loeb has done 3 runs already. He just tested as well.
Maybe he was worried that he was over 2 sek slower than Hironen on first run and over 4 sek slower than his teammate:-)

I understood you, but like you mentioned, it is definitely not in line with Seb's or JML's number of runs which raised a concern something might not be right.

And isn't it also - even if wasting resources of the car - important to get adjusted to current setup that is used at the race. Isn't Mikko driving same Focus he was using in Catalunya with much different setup (at least so I heard).

And still, this is just a shakedown. No stages ran yet :-)

Sulland
22nd October 2009, 11:32
When is the shakedown finished ?

bennizw
22nd October 2009, 11:41
13:00.

bluuford
22nd October 2009, 11:46
When is the shakedown finished ?

The shakedown will be run according to the following schedule:
08.00 - 10.00 Priority 1 drivers and Priority 2 drivers
10.00 - 12.00 Priority 1, Priority 2 and Priority 3 drivers
12.00 - 13.30 Pre-registered Non-Priority drivers
That means nearly two hours to go

JFL
22nd October 2009, 12:02
http://www.rallygb.org/documents/Shakedown_4_-_Time_Order.pdf
Solberg #1

Francis44
22nd October 2009, 12:07
Well what i understand is that Loeb and Hirvonnen are afraid to do something bad to their cars in the shakedown!!!!

JFL
22nd October 2009, 12:13
Well what i understand is that Loeb and Hirvonnen are afraid to do something bad to their cars in the shakedown!!!!

Lets hope we dont hear that during the rally...

HaCo
22nd October 2009, 12:17
Looking forward to the stage results of Petter!

COD
22nd October 2009, 12:20
Look at time of Nikara! 4 sec's faster than any other Group N-car!

Mirek
22nd October 2009, 12:41
He made it in third run, some of fast gr.N drivers have none or only one run in results ;) He had 3:40 in first run which is not the best from first runs by far (Brynildsen and Flodin 3:34 in first run).

jbmarcus21
22nd October 2009, 12:44
Mikko has drove just 1 shake run.. ??

Juha_Koo
22nd October 2009, 12:56
Psychological warfare...?

Micke_VOC
22nd October 2009, 13:03
SD-Results:
SOLBERG N Citroën C4 WRC 4 3:16.4
LATVALA FIN Ford Focus RS WRC 09 3 3:16.6
SOLBERG N Ford Focus RS WRC 08 7 3:18.2
OGIER F Citroën C4 WRC 3 3:19.0
LOEB F Citroën C4 WRC 2 3:19.6
SORDO E Citroën C4 WRC 2 3:19.7
OSTBERG N Subaru Impreza WRC 08 1 3:21.9
QASSIMI UAE Ford Focus RS WRC 08 4 3:24.3
RAUTENBACH ZW Citroën C4 WRC 5 3:26.1
WILSON GB Ford Focus RS WRC 08 2 3:27.5
NIKARA FIN Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X 3 3:29.3

tolis
22nd October 2009, 13:08
You forgot Mikko...

DonJippo
22nd October 2009, 13:19
Mikko has drove just 1 shake run.. ??

Why to run more if the car is ok and you are happy with it?

Simmi
22nd October 2009, 13:26
I'm assuming it was a very wet SD. My Dad is down in Swansea and he said it's been pi**ing it down and he saw the Ford transporter taking some very muddy Focus WRCs back to the service park.

So classic GB conditions.

MartijnS
22nd October 2009, 13:34
Yeah, my brother twittered the same, it was raining a lot this morning.

Some quotes i found on britishrally.co.uk :)

Just heard that someones taken out a row of 12 fenceposts in Margam, unclear who it is at the moment!

just had a text that it was monsiuer loeb that went off hes done more cosmetic damage than anything else

Fide
22nd October 2009, 13:40
Anyway, aside Loeb-Mikko fight lets see what Petter can do tomorrow.....
As of now it seems promising....

turves
22nd October 2009, 14:13
this is probably old news but thought I'd post anyway, from Crash.net:

Highlights of Rally GB will air on BBC Two Wales on Monday 26 October at 11.30pm and will also be available on the BBC iPlayer for seven days following transmission.

Those fans outside Wales can access the show via digital satellite on Sky channel 991.

Mark James, who was a presenter on the WRC from 1995 until 2002 will present and produce the coverage.

MartijnS
22nd October 2009, 14:19
It wasn't Loeb, but Al Qassimi who went off. Too bad ;)

Salist
22nd October 2009, 14:29
Photos from the shakedown?

StevoEvo
22nd October 2009, 14:34
Had a great morning @ shakedown, apart from the rain lol, but that's normal here, Petter was looking very quick, on way out got a few pics of works teams loading transporters...
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/welshwille/IMG_0607.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/welshwille/IMG_0608.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/welshwille/IMG_0615.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/welshwille/IMG_0617.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/welshwille/IMG_0619.jpg

Bring on the morning !!!

bretddog
22nd October 2009, 15:26
shakedown video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct_px_X8PjM&feature=player_embedded#

HaCo
22nd October 2009, 17:16
shakedown video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct_px_X8PjM&feature=player_embedded#

Nice & Thanks!

pettersolberg29
22nd October 2009, 17:23
Out of interest, has anyone ever used a SMS text service for WRC results? It's just that out on the stages it may be hard to keep up to date without a radio in my van or phone with internet on it.

Barreis
22nd October 2009, 17:27
Nice video..

wrc_flipper
22nd October 2009, 19:18
Out of interest, has anyone ever used a SMS text service for WRC results? It's just that out on the stages it may be hard to keep up to date without a radio in my van or phone with internet on it.

Stagetimes.com is good - sent you a PM with details.

Allyc85
22nd October 2009, 19:39
Shakedown times – Top 10:

1. Petter Solberg PS WRT Citroën C4 WRC 03mins 16.4secs A8
2. Jari-Matti Latvala BP Ford Abu Dhabi Focus RS WRC 03mins 16.6secs M
3. Henning Solberg Stobart VK Ford Focus WRC 03mins 18.2secs MT
4. Sébastien Ogier Citroën Junior Team C4 WRC 03mins 19.0secs MT
5. Sébastien Loeb Citroën Total WRT C4 WRC 03mins 19.6secs M
6. Dani Sordo Citroën Total WRT C4 WRC 03mins 19.7secs M
7=. Mikko Hirvonen BP Ford Abu Dhabi Focus RS WRC 03mins 21.9secs M
7=. Mads Ostberg Subaru Impreza WRC 09 03mins 21.9secs A8
9. Khalid Al Qassimi BP Ford Abu Dhabi Focus RS WRC 03mins 24.3secs A8
10. Conrad Rautenbach Citroën Junior Team C4 WRC 03mins 26.1secs MT

pettersolberg29
22nd October 2009, 19:42
Cheers - a PM is sent back! ;)

Mintexmemory
22nd October 2009, 21:00
Looks to me as though Petter is the nominated Citroen hare and J-M L is doing the same job for Ford. I know it's only shakedown but 2 seconds better than the others is quite special. Malcolm's lad slower than Al Qassimi :s tare:

pettersolberg29
22nd October 2009, 21:05
I thought that too. 2 seconds is a big gap in a shakedown run.

tolis
22nd October 2009, 21:33
Who is driving the Subaru No44?
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=403&season=2009&rally_id=GB :confused:

Francis44
22nd October 2009, 21:35
Bernardo Sousa onboard off the shakedown....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVUf5Jgag4o .

bluuford
22nd October 2009, 22:45
Who is driving the Subaru No44?
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=403&season=2009&rally_id=GB :confused:

It is the same name or the same person as former Alister McRae´s and Rautenbach´s, Morrow´s Al Wahaibi´s and Meeke´s codriver?

PuddleJumper
23rd October 2009, 00:42
I think it's a typing error. Car 44 is Spyros Pavlides.

Helstar
23rd October 2009, 06:27
Is the rally starting in 1 or 2 hours ?

bluuford
23rd October 2009, 06:52
Is the rally starting in 1 or 2 hours ?

In approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes

Sulland
23rd October 2009, 07:04
Startex: 0923 GMT (UK) or 1023 in the rest of Europe that has GMT +1 or A time. For those countries that are still on summer time, or day light saving time (B time), it is GMT +2, or 1123 :p

Langdale Forest
23rd October 2009, 07:35
Hopefully solberg can win the rally.