PDA

View Full Version : Arise Sir Séb!

wrc_flipper
27th May 2009, 18:10
Sébastien Loeb was today awarded a knighthood, receiving the ‘Légion d’honneur’ at the Elysée Palace in Paris from Nicolas Sarkozy, the President of the French Republic.

N.O.T
27th May 2009, 18:16
I think his presence justifies his title...i have never seen a champion more humble than him and a true ambassador of the sport.

J4MIE
27th May 2009, 22:19
I think his presence justifies his title...i have never seen a champion more humble than him and a true ambassador of the sport.

Yes indeed, totally agree :up:

AndyRAC
27th May 2009, 22:47
Felicitations Seb!!

Tumbo
28th May 2009, 02:33
well deserved for the ultimate sportsman - cudos

muscrae
28th May 2009, 11:07

Absolutely.

Brother John
28th May 2009, 12:22

It´s easy to be humble when you make a lot of money every year whereas the most of others drivers missing money to drive a car in WRC! :s mokin:

s.loeb
28th May 2009, 12:48
Sébastien Loeb was today awarded a knighthood, receiving the ‘Légion d’honneur’ at the Elysée Palace in Paris from Nicolas Sarkozy, the President of the French Republic.

He worth it absolutely!!

lcd
28th May 2009, 13:10

I agree on the whole!

ste898
28th May 2009, 22:28
They must give them out in France like they do in UK to anyone.

They used too mean something but now worthless!!!!

wrc_flipper
29th May 2009, 09:04

Well when you are one of the most successful drivers in the sport and continue to break records, the opportunity to slay a dragon or two may be a bit scares these days!

A.F.F.
29th May 2009, 09:11

That doesn't change the fact Sebastien is one of the greatest ever.

jparker
29th May 2009, 09:45
It´s easy to be humble when you make a lot of money every year whereas the most of others drivers missing money to drive a car in WRC! :s mokin:
Very true

GigiGalliNo1
30th May 2009, 11:08
So now when they will be doing an interview after a stage it will come up with "Sir Loeb" on screen and they will be saying "so how was the stage Sir Sebastian?"

J4MIE
30th May 2009, 12:55

True but he has worked his way up there and deserves his place in history. Any other driver could do the same thing - if they are good enough.

bowler
31st May 2009, 02:59

Harsh response. Being humble has nothing to do with ability, or whether others go unpaid because they are not as good.

Seb deserves his honour, and rallying will enjoy the recognition he has received.

jparker
1st June 2009, 19:41
Harsh response. Being humble has nothing to do with ability, or whether others go unpaid because they are not as good.

Seb deserves his honour, and rallying will enjoy the recognition he has received.

Well, I'll be harsh too. Seb may go in history of rally as a driver for only one car maker, and driving in the worst and easy to win years of WRC. Sorry, but that's doesn't get my top respect. Pouring tons of money by Citroen combined with bad decisions by FIA made Seb unbeatable, not his talent. I simply can't believe he's the best, when there are only 2 guys with competitive machinery against him. I don't deny it, but I can't give it to him either.
Of course I have to admit Seb is nice and humble guy, and I do respect him for that, just not as much as some others.

bowler
2nd June 2009, 09:32
sorry jparker you obviously haven't been around long enough to know how good Seb is. I have worked with many of the great Rally drivers, including Seb, and he is one of the best ever. Sure right now he is in a league of his own, but that doesn't diminish his talent. The fact that others can't get near him doesn't make him any lesser a competitor.

Appreciate what you have, don't expect him to drive at a lower level because the talent around him doesn't measure up.

jparker
2nd June 2009, 09:52
sorry jparker you obviously haven't been around long enough to know how good Seb is. I have worked with many of the great Rally drivers, including Seb, and he is one of the best ever. Sure right now he is in a league of his own, but that doesn't diminish his talent. The fact that others can't get near him doesn't make him any lesser a competitor.

Appreciate what you have, don't expect him to drive at a lower level because the talent around him doesn't measure up.

Sure, but I'll wait few more years before I agreee with your words.

bowler
2nd June 2009, 11:49
the longer you wait, the more you will agree :-)

J4MIE
2nd June 2009, 12:07
If you've ever stood at the side of a stage and watched him and compared him to the rest, it's easy to see why he is the best. Incredible, even.

The rest have to try too hard to keep up.

Brother John
2nd June 2009, 14:10

I´l wait till i see him drive with another team then Citroën. :s mokin:

A.F.F.
2nd June 2009, 14:45
With all due respect, I can't understand why some folks even bother to question his skills should disappear when driving with another car make ??? These guys, Sebastien included, are pretty different drivers than us here. If you guys have difficulties to handle the throttle or gearstick everytime you hop in to another car, it doesn't mean these guys have. Their called PROFESSIONALS.

Like Jamie said, watching them live gives a small clue how incredible good driver he is.

Xsara Fan
2nd June 2009, 19:35
I´l wait till i see him drive with another team then Citroën. :s mokin:

Take a look at P.Solberg - he change a car but results are still good.

ste898
2nd June 2009, 20:24

I also will agree on that as I have seen nothing yet that makes me think he (loeb) is anything special!!!

jparker
3rd June 2009, 08:41
With all due respect, I can't understand why some folks even bother to question his skills should disappear when driving with another car make ??? These guys, Sebastien included, are pretty different drivers than us here. If you guys have difficulties to handle the throttle or gearstick everytime you hop in to another car, it doesn't mean these guys have. Their called PROFESSIONALS.

Like Jamie said, watching them live gives a small clue how incredible good driver he is.
I perfectly understand your point, but you seems to miss ours. Yes, most likely he will do just fine with other car as well, but until I see that I can't give it to him. Awards are given for something accomplished, not on assumptions. All big names in rallying changed cars partially because they wanted to drive something different, I'm sure they were eager to do that. Loeb doesn't look to passioned about that, it looks like "just work" for him.
About his records, he scores big because there is no competition in WRC, and there is no competition because nobody can afford it in the last few years.

A.F.F.
3rd June 2009, 09:02
All big names in rallying changed cars partially because they wanted to drive something different, I'm sure they were eager to do that. Loeb doesn't look to passioned about that, it looks like "just work" for him.

Well, thanks to the current state of WRC, there really isn't too much options to change a manufacturer :mark:

But I hear you jparker.

Daniel
3rd June 2009, 11:04
I perfectly understand your point, but you seems to miss ours. Yes, most likely he will do just fine with other car as well, but until I see that I can't give it to him. Awards are given for something accomplished, not on assumptions. All big names in rallying changed cars partially because they wanted to drive something different, I'm sure they were eager to do that. Loeb doesn't look to passioned about that, it looks like "just work" for him.
About his records, he scores big because there is no competition in WRC, and there is no competition because nobody can afford it in the last few years.
Why would you go to Ford though? he's able to win without the stupid tactics Ford would force him to use.

DonJippo
3rd June 2009, 15:07
Why would you go to Ford though? he's able to win without the stupid tactics Ford would force him to use.

Maybe he should learn about how Ford does it because last time in Sardinia it went all wrong for him and Citroen :D

driveace
3rd June 2009, 16:04
I must agree ,once you have seen him on a stage,then you can see the difference in speed and style.But `if you compare him with Mathew Wilson,then Seb has learnt to peddle a small car (Citroen Saxo ) very fast,and that is where I think he gains on the others.As with a small powered car you must keep speed up on corners and downhill .
Mathew on the other hand has always had a powerful car,and IF he had come up learning in a low powered car ,the same as Seb if would have benefitted him more.

A.F.F.
3rd June 2009, 17:01
I must agree ,once you have seen him on a stage,then you can see the difference in speed and style.But `if you compare him with Mathew Wilson,then Seb has learnt to peddle a small car (Citroen Saxo ) very fast,and that is where I think he gains on the others.As with a small powered car you must keep speed up on corners and downhill .
Mathew on the other hand has always had a powerful car,and IF he had come up learning in a low powered car ,the same as Seb if would have benefitted him more.

It's not only that, however that's a good point you made driveace. In a couple of recent years at NORF, I've seeked a downhill location from the stages where I can observe their (drivers') braking. It's amazing how, I'm going to pick three of them, Loeb, Hirvonen and Latvala were different than others. They hardly touched the brake where others mostly pumped thepace of. And that location only coverred what, maybe 200 meters. When it's over 20 km stage and you get those tenths of a seconds of from every braking, it's no wonder the gaps are what they are novadays. The rest of the pack is over a minute behind the leaders. :mark:

Barreis
9th June 2009, 08:20
I don't know French language and would like to know what kind of lines is Elena talking to Loeb during the stages. If You're the best then also that recce lines are the best. Could someone help me?

ShiftingGears
9th June 2009, 08:28
I also will agree on that as I have seen nothing yet that makes me think he (loeb) is anything special!!!

Maybe you'll realise just how good he is on the day he retires, when you notice there's no other driver that you fear will snatch victory from your own favourite drivers.

jparker
9th June 2009, 14:02
Maybe you'll realise just how good he is on the day he retires, when you notice there's no other driver that you fear will snatch victory from your own favourite drivers.

There are only 3 other guys with equal machinery you know........ how special Loeb could be among only 4 of them ?????????????

ste898
9th June 2009, 22:00

That will be a great day when he retires as WRC will become interesting again.......

bowler
10th June 2009, 09:26
That will be a great day when he retires as WRC will become interesting again.......

"Dumb down the best so the mediocre can look good" is what I think you are saying.

Seb is one of the great rally drivers, so good that none can currently get near him.

Enjoy while you can

ste898
10th June 2009, 20:42
"Dumb down the best so the mediocre can look good" is what I think you are saying.

Seb is one of the great rally drivers, so good that none can currently get near him.

Enjoy while you can

Yep he is so good he can beat errrrrrrrr the Fords?

Is that it ahh well he should be very proud

'Seb is one of the great rally drivers' get real and open your eyes

Xsara Fan
11th June 2009, 09:11
Yep he is so good he can beat errrrrrrrr the Fords?

Is that it ahh well he should be very proud

'Seb is one of the great rally drivers' get real and open your eyes

Is Seb starts his rally career in 2009? No? So why did you tell that 'he is so good he can beat errrrrrrrr the Fords'? During 2002-2009 he beat Fords, Subarus, Mitsubishis, Peugeots etc.

jparker
11th June 2009, 13:03
Is Seb starts his rally career in 2009? No? So why did you tell that 'he is so good he can beat errrrrrrrr the Fords'? During 2002-2009 he beat Fords, Subarus, Mitsubishis, Peugeots etc.
It's not Seb that beat all these cars, it was Xsara and C4. When someone is backed with so much money and total commitment of entire Citroen company, then the results can't be any different. The rest, they just don't want to participate, and here it is, Citroen has only one opponent.

I am evil Homer
11th June 2009, 13:15
Funny how it wasn't Seb...so you're saying McRae and Sainz were useless too as they were his team mates in the same car and he beat them?

It's fine if people don't like Seb but so say it was the car is stupid. First it was the 'special' Michelin tyres, the it was the diffs, then it was the Xsara....get real people.

jparker
11th June 2009, 13:26
Funny how it wasn't Seb...so you're saying McRae and Sainz were useless too as they were his team mates in the same car and he beat them?

It's fine if people don't like Seb but so say it was the car is stupid. First it was the 'special' Michelin tyres, the it was the diffs, then it was the Xsara....get real people.
I can't get real unless I see Seb in real competition. He's the golden boy for Citroen, and everything is done for him to be first, even with McRay and Sainz as teammates.

bowler
12th June 2009, 06:23
I can't get real unless I see Seb in real competition. He's the golden boy for Citroen, and everything is done for him to be first, even with McRay and Sainz as teammates.

Jeez JP, it's tough to please you.

Heads would roll at Citreon if they decided that winning wasn't a good thing, and that Seb should come 5th in future.

He may be the golden boy, but that is because he has earned that privilege.

He is simply one of the greatest rally drivers we have seen, and nothing that you guys do can take that away. I am certain that nothing you guys can do or say will cause anyone who knows rallying any concern.

Magnus
12th June 2009, 07:14
Seb is definetely worthy of most prices, being an excellent ambassador for rallying and motorsport. But shouldn´t a knight fight with his sword and rescue the beautiful princess? Or at least make sme kind of heroic act? Well well... Not making the best tire choices and avoiding going to wide... :s

ste898
12th June 2009, 07:18

Thats is a 100% true .......great post my man!!!!

ShiftingGears
13th June 2009, 06:58

You also the fact that active diffs made him look good, and that we'd find out how crap he is without them...

wrc_flipper
13th June 2009, 07:11
Ford's world rally team director Malcolm Wilson was today named in The Queen's Birthday Honours list. Wilson was admitted to the Order of the British Empire after being awarded an OBE (Officer of the British Empire) for his services to British motorsport.

The award is one of the highest achievements bestowed by the British monarchy and recognises distinguished achievement in any field at national or regional level. Wilson will receive his honour from Her Majesty The Queen at a ceremony at Buckingham Palace in London later this year.

http://www.rallybuzz.com/malcolm-wilson-obe/

ShiftingGears
13th June 2009, 07:25
There are only 3 other guys with equal machinery you know........ how special Loeb could be among only 4 of them ?????????????

The drivers with the most WRC wins at the time (around 50 combined) could not beat Loeb in his debut season. That is how special Loeb is.

The awful state of the WRC does not diminish Loeb's brilliance.

Helstar
14th June 2009, 15:33
I already admire Loeb for his talent on asphalt (best of all time surely) and his great improvements on gravel (back the beginning he was only "quite good").

But to believe he's the best of all time I need to see 3 things:

1) Switch from WRC to S2000
2) Lots of manufacturers (at least 5), competitive cars and drivers
3) Dominating everybody like now

The first option can even be deleted, keeping WRC too but we all know no competitive manus are going to enter so....

Last proper championship was in 2005 I think ... or maybe 2004 even

AndyRAC
14th June 2009, 19:49
I already admire Loeb for his talent on asphalt (best of all time surely) and his great improvements on gravel (back the beginning he was only "quite good").

But to believe he's the best of all time I need to see 3 things:

1) Switch from WRC to S2000
2) Lots of manufacturers (at least 5), competitive cars and drivers
3) Dominating everybody like now

The first option can even be deleted, keeping WRC too but we all know no competitive manus are going to enter so....

Last proper championship was in 2005 I think ... or maybe 2004 even

I think he'd be better going off to do Sportscar racing - I actually think he is probably subconciously losing motivation. Doing Sportscars would rekindle it - in a competitive series.

bowler
14th June 2009, 20:35
But to believe he's the best of all time

It is hard to rate anybody as the "best of all time".

Seb rates as one of the greats in my book.

It is simply not possible to compare people from different eras in different conditions over time. He is however the best we have at the moment, and by a long way.

Helstar
14th June 2009, 21:29
I think he'd be better going off to do Sportscar racing - I actually think he is probably subconciously losing motivation. Doing Sportscars would rekindle it - in a competitive series.
You are seriously right, that huge crash (never seen before an error like that from him)... maybe he had 24h LeMans in his head :)

And what about F1 RedBull, the car is competitive so it's a big opportunity that he has missed (not his blame though, I think he would go to F1 at once).