PDA

View Full Version : Tracy in for Meira at Milwaukee

NickFalzone
26th May 2009, 22:45
Sadly it looks like Vitor will be out most of the season. PT and AJ should be an interesting combination though, I dont know how much of the season it will be, as Tracy is supposed to drive for KV at the Canada races:

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=14145

Chamoo
27th May 2009, 04:12
Right now, just think of this as a one race deal. I doubt PT will stay with them past Milwaukee because he knows they aren't one of the teams that can compete on a track like Texas.

chuck34
27th May 2009, 16:01
I would have liked to see Bell in that ride.

chuck34
27th May 2009, 16:02
Right now, just think of this as a one race deal. I doubt PT will stay with them past Milwaukee because he knows they aren't one of the teams that can compete on a track like Texas.

Do you think he'd rather have a 4.1% (depending on starters) shot at winning a race. Or a 0% chance because he's sitting on the sidelines?

TURN3
27th May 2009, 16:10
Do you think he'd rather have a 4.1% (depending on starters) shot at winning a race. Or a 0% chance because he's sitting on the sidelines?

He has stated emphatically he'd prefer 0% in that scenario. Winning Milwaukee, while unlikely, is a possibility as it is a track where the driver makes a big difference and he's one of the best ever at Milwaukee. I'm afraid of him passing 12 cars around the outside of T3-T4 on lap 1. Hopefully he qualifies fairly well.

As for Bell...I'm actually glad he didn't get that ride because it looks like Herbalife might be willing to put a deal together for later in the season. It would be nice to see him in a fully funded car at KV.

SarahFan
27th May 2009, 16:17
I feel bad for Vitor.... hate to see any racer hurt..

But having Paul on the Grid is great IMO

chuck34
27th May 2009, 16:26
He has stated emphatically he'd prefer 0% in that scenario. Winning Milwaukee, while unlikely, is a possibility as it is a track where the driver makes a big difference and he's one of the best ever at Milwaukee. I'm afraid of him passing 12 cars around the outside of T3-T4 on lap 1. Hopefully he qualifies fairly well.

As for Bell...I'm actually glad he didn't get that ride because it looks like Herbalife might be willing to put a deal together for later in the season. It would be nice to see him in a fully funded car at KV.

Didn't know that he had said that. That makes me question his sanity. But, to each his own.

That sounds great for Bell, I hope it comes through.

TURN3
27th May 2009, 17:05
Didn't know that he had said that. That makes me question his sanity. But, to each his own.

Being selfish, I want to see PT on the grid. But coming from his point of view, he's the 6th winningest driver in OW history and his career has basically been cut short by a couple of years. To take mid to back pack rides with no chance of being competitive only tarnishes his image. Sort of like Willie Mays playing for the Mets or Brett Farve playing for the Jets. Better to be remembered for a positive legacy than chase something that will tarnish it. PT has shown he's good enough to compete with anybody still, hope some good rides come up for him through this year and a full-time gig with a team like KV for all of next year.

Chamoo
27th May 2009, 17:06

Thanks T3. He has stated he doesn't want to be a number on the grid, he wants to be one of the guys who can compete for the win.

As for Bell, where did you hear that? I was thinking the same thing but never heard anything or saw anything that might get T. Bell back into a car later this year.

That sounds great for Bell, I hope it comes through.

Chuck, where have you been? The reason PT isn't in a car full time is because he wants to be in a competitive car, not a field filler. He has said this multiple times since bimergerification, and he has had offers to drive lesser cars and turn them down.

chuck34
27th May 2009, 17:42
Chuck, where have you been? The reason PT isn't in a car full time is because he wants to be in a competitive car, not a field filler. He has said this multiple times since bimergerification, and he has had offers to drive lesser cars and turn them down.

If that's his deal, then fine. But that's why he will probably not ever have a full time ride again. He needs to be in a car proving to "the good teams" that he can still drive a car. That is if he hasn't already burned too many bridges. He's been fired from Penske and NHL. I don't think Chip would hire him for a third car, or get rid of either of the guys he already has. I've never seen him and Andretti get along, so I would assume that AGR is out.

Who's left? KV is a good up and comming team, but needs funding, and aparently he doesn't bring much. Same sort of deal with Vision. Who am I missing?

If the guy wants to drive he should take anything he can get his butt into.

TURN3
27th May 2009, 19:00
If that's his deal, then fine. But that's why he will probably not ever have a full time ride again. He needs to be in a car proving to "the good teams" that he can still drive a car. That is if he hasn't already burned too many bridges. He's been fired from Penske and NHL. I don't think Chip would hire him for a third car, or get rid of either of the guys he already has. I've never seen him and Andretti get along, so I would assume that AGR is out.

Who's left? KV is a good up and comming team, but needs funding, and aparently he doesn't bring much. Same sort of deal with Vision. Who am I missing?

If the guy wants to drive he should take anything he can get his butt into.

He wasn't fired from NHL, he was farmed out by Penske for 1 year. Nonetheless, he won't be going back there or to AGR (at this point) under any circumstances. I thought if he wouldn't have come up with the deal with KV that AGR might do some type of partial schedule with him to boost their race in Toronto. Now that he's on board with KV for the Canadian races that obviously won't happen. He and Andretti don't really get along like you say but I have to say if he's the best driver available and 1 of their also rans or TK is in a position like Vitor, you'd think they'd consider it. Also, keep in mind that before the unification, CG offered PT a ride when he was having that spat over taking less from Foresythe. At the time, I think Chip was thinking that would be the straw that broke the camels back...which broke on its own a couple months later. Even so, Chip isn't running 3 cars...period.

I think PT's strategy has been perfect since last year left him holding his helmet. He was quick in LB. His finish didn't bode well due to limping back to pits on a blown tire but he qualified fairly well and was quick. He obviously showed what he can do with a mid-pack team in the much easier to drive Indycars at Edmonton and I think he proved he's capable at Indy. Bottom line, somebody should be picking this guy up for the good of their team and the sport. Personally, I think KV is the only solution as NHL, AGR, Penske, and TCGR are out and all the others are 2nd rate and lower.

chuck34
27th May 2009, 19:09
He wasn't fired from NHL, he was farmed out by Penske for 1 year. Nonetheless, he won't be going back there or to AGR (at this point) under any circumstances. I thought if he wouldn't have come up with the deal with KV that AGR might do some type of partial schedule with him to boost their race in Toronto. Now that he's on board with KV for the Canadian races that obviously won't happen. He and Andretti don't really get along like you say but I have to say if he's the best driver available and 1 of their also rans or TK is in a position like Vitor, you'd think they'd consider it. Also, keep in mind that before the unification, CG offered PT a ride when he was having that spat over taking less from Foresythe. At the time, I think Chip was thinking that would be the straw that broke the camels back...which broke on its own a couple months later. Even so, Chip isn't running 3 cars...period.

I think PT's strategy has been perfect since last year left him holding his helmet. He was quick in LB. His finish didn't bode well due to limping back to pits on a blown tire but he qualified fairly well and was quick. He obviously showed what he can do with a mid-pack team in the much easier to drive Indycars at Edmonton and I think he proved he's capable at Indy. Bottom line, somebody should be picking this guy up for the good of their team and the sport. Personally, I think KV is the only solution as NHL, AGR, Penske, and TCGR are out and all the others are 2nd rate and lower.

If you think PT's strategy has been perfect, then we have different definitions of perfect. The guy is without a full time ride. That sounds less than perfect to me. And if he's shown that that he can do well with a mid-pack team in a one off, why would he expect less if he took the ride on a longer-term basis? Aparently he doesn't understand the concept of teamwork. Maybe someone SHOULD pick him up, but why? What has he shown that says he deserves a full time ride? He's shown flashes of speed, but he's not much of a team player, doesn't bring any money, thinks he deserves a top notch ride after not driving for 2 years, or doing a whole lot before that, and he's freaking OLD for an OW guy.

Also, are you saying that KV is now his only option? Wow that puts Vasser and Kevin in a great bargining position.

Now, don't get me wrong the guy has some talent and probably should be in a car. But he has to show that he WANTS a ride.

TURN3
27th May 2009, 19:59
If you think PT's strategy has been perfect, then we have different definitions of perfect. The guy is without a full time ride. That sounds less than perfect to me. And if he's shown that that he can do well with a mid-pack team in a one off, why would he expect less if he took the ride on a longer-term basis? Aparently he doesn't understand the concept of teamwork. Maybe someone SHOULD pick him up, but why? What has he shown that says he deserves a full time ride? He's shown flashes of speed, but he's not much of a team player, doesn't bring any money, thinks he deserves a top notch ride after not driving for 2 years, or doing a whole lot before that, and he's freaking OLD for an OW guy.

Also, are you saying that KV is now his only option? Wow that puts Vasser and Kevin in a great bargining position.

Now, don't get me wrong the guy has some talent and probably should be in a car. But he has to show that he WANTS a ride.

You're opinion is fine but I think most disagree with the way you're looking at it. If PT took a lesser ride on a full-time basis, he'd probably end up over driving the car to compensate for finishing mid to back of pack. That wouldn't do anything for his bargaining position either. If he picks and chooses his spots, as he has been, then you puts himself in the best position to do well. 2 questions: 1. When you interview for a job, do you have 2 or 3 interviews or do you spend a year in the mail room? 2. I don't know what you do for a living but lets say for example a chief of police. Are there any circumstances that after a long and successful career that this police chief is going to return to being a patrol officer? Not likely.

His strategy has been perfect, the situation has not been. There are only a few good teams out there and the only 1 with a shot at winning and openings (given the funding) is KV in my opinion.

chuck34
27th May 2009, 20:35
You're opinion is fine but I think most disagree with the way you're looking at it. If PT took a lesser ride on a full-time basis, he'd probably end up over driving the car to compensate for finishing mid to back of pack. That wouldn't do anything for his bargaining position either. If he picks and chooses his spots, as he has been, then you puts himself in the best position to do well. 2 questions: 1. When you interview for a job, do you have 2 or 3 interviews or do you spend a year in the mail room? 2. I don't know what you do for a living but lets say for example a chief of police. Are there any circumstances that after a long and successful career that this police chief is going to return to being a patrol officer? Not likely.

His strategy has been perfect, the situation has not been. There are only a few good teams out there and the only 1 with a shot at winning and openings (given the funding) is KV in my opinion.

If he's that worried about tarnishing his legacy, then he should hang it up now, because not being able to get a ride for 2 years isn't helping either. Wouldn't taking a mid-pack team to the front do a lot to improve the "legend" of PT?

And as for overdriving, see this weekend. He would race past 2-3 guys every re-start, and then get passed by 4-6 about 5 laps later. Looks to me like he burned the tires off by overdriving. So having that "great" KV ride didn't do wonders there either.

1) If I'm interviewing for a job after being out of work for 2 years, I'll take the mail room job.

2) After having a long a successful career as a police chief, I would look to some sort of consulting job. It's not always a top or bottom deal, there are lateral moves that can be made. Look at Bryan Herta. He doesn't want to be "retired" but he's a realist about the situation.

But if your definition of perfect strategy has the guy sit out 2 years waiting for a currently non-existent ride with KV, then yep he's played it perfectly.

TURN3
27th May 2009, 20:59
If he's that worried about tarnishing his legacy, then he should hang it up now, because not being able to get a ride for 2 years isn't helping either. Wouldn't taking a mid-pack team to the front do a lot to improve the "legend" of PT?

And as for overdriving, see this weekend. He would race past 2-3 guys every re-start, and then get passed by 4-6 about 5 laps later. Looks to me like he burned the tires off by overdriving. So having that "great" KV ride didn't do wonders there either.

1) If I'm interviewing for a job after being out of work for 2 years, I'll take the mail room job.

2) After having a long a successful career as a police chief, I would look to some sort of consulting job. It's not always a top or bottom deal, there are lateral moves that can be made. Look at Bryan Herta. He doesn't want to be "retired" but he's a realist about the situation.

But if your definition of perfect strategy has the guy sit out 2 years waiting for a currently non-existent ride with KV, then yep he's played it perfectly.

There are several ways to play it and as I mentioned earlier, you have the right to your opinion. Unfortunately, you trying to make an argument for your case is baseless much less opinionated. Tell me...when you make these posts do you have any intention of being objective or do you just naturally spew jiberish? You've entirely missed the point. PT has said he'd rather hang it up than be a field filler. Bottom line, he's earned his credentials and he's also proven that even at less than his peak and at his age, there isn't really anybody out there that is any better than he is.

As far as Indy...again you might want to open your eyes. PT was great on restarts because he has more balls than anybody else on cold tires. He would get passed because he didn't have a car under him. They took off the rear anti-roll bar and softened the springs and then damaged the undertray on TK's wreck.

If you can't be a little more objective, or at least a post with some knowledge then move on to the next subject.

chuck34
27th May 2009, 21:07
There are several ways to play it and as I mentioned earlier, you have the right to your opinion. Unfortunately, you trying to make an argument for your case is baseless much less opinionated. Tell me...when you make these posts do you have any intention of being objective or do you just naturally spew jiberish? You've entirely missed the point. PT has said he'd rather hang it up than be a field filler. Bottom line, he's earned his credentials and he's also proven that even at less than his peak and at his age, there isn't really anybody out there that is any better than he is.

As far as Indy...again you might want to open your eyes. PT was great on restarts because he has more balls than anybody else on cold tires. He would get passed because he didn't have a car under him. They took off the rear anti-roll bar and softened the springs and then damaged the undertray on TK's wreck.

If you can't be a little more objective, or at least a post with some knowledge then move on to the next subject.

I have not once insulted you, why do you insult me? What facts have you presented? Saying that "there isn't really anybody out there that is any better than he is" is not a fact, yet you present it as such. The fact is that he hasn't won since Cleveland 2007 and before that it was Cleveland 2005. So the FACT is that there are plenty out there that have beaten him.

You might want to open your eyes about Indy. No one could pass on that track, yet PT would constantly get passed a few laps after every restart. And that was before he damaged his undertray.

I think you need to be more objective in your posts. I have said that I think he needs to hang it up, or get out there and race. That is my opinion, and I've said as much. Your personal attack on me was totally uncalled for.

chuck34
27th May 2009, 21:19
PT has said he'd rather hang it up than be a field filler.

If that is truly what he wants then, in my opinion, he should hang it up. Because there aren't, again in my opinion, any "top" rides out there that he will get. With the possible exception of the KV deal, if that can be done right. But then again, there are other deals that could be done "right" too.

TURN3
27th May 2009, 21:54
I have not once insulted you, why do you insult me? What facts have you presented? Saying that "there isn't really anybody out there that is any better than he is" is not a fact, yet you present it as such. The fact is that he hasn't won since Cleveland 2007 and before that it was Cleveland 2005. So the FACT is that there are plenty out there that have beaten him.

You might want to open your eyes about Indy. No one could pass on that track, yet PT would constantly get passed a few laps after every restart. And that was before he damaged his undertray.

I think you need to be more objective in your posts. I have said that I think he needs to hang it up, or get out there and race. That is my opinion, and I've said as much. Your personal attack on me was totally uncalled for.

I haven't re-read my post as I was waiting on a meeting to start when I typed it. I don't believe telling you that you're not objective is a personal insult or attack. If so, I apologize. I just think you're view on PT's career situation is lacking any objectivity. It is all a matter of opinion and yours is an uncommon one regarding his situation. I don't believe you should change your mind but for the love of God...you could at least see that there is more ways to look at it than yours.

As for Indy...again you're looking past all of the issues. KV and PT openly talked about how changing the rear of the car hurt them from the opening laps. The undertray just added to that. They had the set-up wrong and he drove the car to the best place it would take him.

He's gotten in 2 different cars months and months apart from other drives. Gave Vision its best ever finish at the time and had a pretty competitive month of May for an improved KV. To step in and out of cars that far apart for different teams I think says a lot about his level. So using your methodology, anyone not named Briscoe, Castro-Neves, Wheldon, Franchitti, or Dixon basically sucks because they've basically won about all of the races between the past 2 years. You have to be more "objective" in how you analyze things. Sometimes you might have to consider circumstances when you evaluate how well a driver and/or team performed. I don't expect that he had to win in order to prove anything...just perform well and I think he performed well enough to say he is as good as anybody else out there. That is just my opinion though.

Bottom line, if he doesn't get caught on the outside of somebody spinning up to the wall in Milwaukee on lap 1, he'll finish top 6 and Foyt's team hasn't exactly been up to that task on a regular basis. I'd consider that another great performance and it isn't about whether he wins or not. God help racing if he does though...sort of like if Power would've won LB or even Indy. How does he not have a full-time gig?

Chamoo
27th May 2009, 22:13
PT deserves to be in a top car. He has proven it. If you don't need the money, why settle for running mid pack. He is racing now to win, that's all he has ever done since moving on from Dale Coyne Racing way back when.

If he doesn't have a chance to win, he doesn't want to compete. That's a racer, and I like that.

chuck34
27th May 2009, 23:49
I haven't re-read my post as I was waiting on a meeting to start when I typed it. I don't believe telling you that you're not objective is a personal insult or attack. If so, I apologize. I just think you're view on PT's career situation is lacking any objectivity. It is all a matter of opinion and yours is an uncommon one regarding his situation. I don't believe you should change your mind but for the love of God...you could at least see that there is more ways to look at it than yours.

As for Indy...again you're looking past all of the issues. KV and PT openly talked about how changing the rear of the car hurt them from the opening laps. The undertray just added to that. They had the set-up wrong and he drove the car to the best place it would take him.

He's gotten in 2 different cars months and months apart from other drives. Gave Vision its best ever finish at the time and had a pretty competitive month of May for an improved KV. To step in and out of cars that far apart for different teams I think says a lot about his level. So using your methodology, anyone not named Briscoe, Castro-Neves, Wheldon, Franchitti, or Dixon basically sucks because they've basically won about all of the races between the past 2 years. You have to be more "objective" in how you analyze things. Sometimes you might have to consider circumstances when you evaluate how well a driver and/or team performed. I don't expect that he had to win in order to prove anything...just perform well and I think he performed well enough to say he is as good as anybody else out there. That is just my opinion though.

Bottom line, if he doesn't get caught on the outside of somebody spinning up to the wall in Milwaukee on lap 1, he'll finish top 6 and Foyt's team hasn't exactly been up to that task on a regular basis. I'd consider that another great performance and it isn't about whether he wins or not. God help racing if he does though...sort of like if Power would've won LB or even Indy. How does he not have a full-time gig?

I think it was the "spew jiberish" that set me off. Perhaps I went a bit overboard as well. However, I am being objective. And I do see it from both sides. I have said that if all he wants to do is get in that one "top" ride (KV) then that's fine. However, if he want to get a full time ride once again, I would think that jumping into Foyt's (or whoever's) car and pointing it to the sharp end of the field would go a long way in raising his stock for the future. It's time for him, and perhaps some of his fans, to face facts. He's old and getting older. He hasn't raced full time in 2 years. In a business that is all about "what have you done for me lately" and "who's the youngest kid with potential I can get and mold for a long time", these facts don't exactly work in PT's favor.

Not to get too technical, but being "objective" I would NOT consider circumstances, that would be subjective. :-) So yeah, if you only use objective standards, everyone except those you mention do suck. But I would never rate drivers objectively. YMMV :-)

Your last point about PT putting Foyt into the top 6 actually proves my point a bit. That car has not seen the front much in the last 10 years or so, except Manning at WG last year (maybe others that I'm forgetting right now). So if PT finnishes in the top 6 this weekend that would be GREAT for that team. Then if he continues on with them, the team will start to "gel" around him and they could get even better. Again, don't you think it would be a great thing for the "legend of PT" to bring this once downtrodden team back to the front? Don't you think that would bode well for PT's chances down the road of being considered for a top ride?

I believe that I am seeing things from all sides. One of those sides being that PT may be past his prime, but he still has something to offer, especially to a team searching for direction. Perhaps you would be well served to see that point as well.

speeddurango
28th May 2009, 05:06
I think what he's shown so far in the few races in the last 2 years shows that he's not passed his prime.

chuck34
28th May 2009, 12:35
I think what he's shown so far in the few races in the last 2 years shows that he's not passed his prime.

You could be right. However, conventional wisdom says that if you are 40 years old and are trying to race one of these cars, you are too old and have probably lost something. So he needs to get out there (in anything he can) and prove that wrong. Which he has done twice now, but I don't think that's enough, as evidenced by the fact that he still does not have a full time ride.

Sitting at home and TELLING everyone you've still got it doesn't get you very far. You need to get out there and SHOW them.

Look at it a different way. It is going to be extremely hard to jump in a car, any car, for a one time ride and win a race. It just doesn't happen. You need time with the engineers and crew to form a working relationship. If PT expects to be able to just jump into a car on any given Sunday, and win a race, I think he's living a pipe dream. That is very unlikely to happen.

PT has stated that he wants to just win races. I admire that, and agree with that. Hell I want to win races too. But to sit around waiting for something to happen doesn't get the job done. I believe he needs to get out there and work for race results (perhaps in inferior equipment) in order to prove to the guys with "top" seats availible that he can still get the job done.

If this makes me "wrong" or "un-objective" then I'm sorry, but I believe that I am looking at things realistically.

Ok rant over.

Chris R
28th May 2009, 14:07
This match could be a great thing - PT might be the kind of driver that Foyt needs to drag his team into the 21st century - they talk the same language and Tracy know what it takes to win in modern racing and there might jsut be enough mutual respect to get the job done... I for one would love to see them win right out of the box.....

or it could be a disaster..... ;)

Alexamateo
28th May 2009, 14:45
You could be right. However, conventional wisdom says that if you are 40 years old and are trying to race one of these cars, you are too old and have probably lost something.......

Why is that? Mario was champion at age 44, and had a multiple win season at age 48. Fittipaldi was a champion at age 43 and second at age 47. He had a multiple win season at 46 years of age. Mansell of course was rookie of the year and champion at age 40. Up until recently, drivers ran until their late 40's sometimes longer. I submit that conventional wisdom is wrong.

That said, he certainly won't maintain his skills sitting at home, he needs to be out there.

dataman1
28th May 2009, 15:29
This match could be a great thing - PT might be the kind of driver that Foyt needs to drag his team into the 21st century - they talk the same language and Tracy know what it takes to win in modern racing and there might jsut be enough mutual respect to get the job done... I for one would love to see them win right out of the box.....

or it could be a disaster..... ;)

Chris, I agree 100%. I would love to have a recording of their radio conversations in Milwaukee. That could be some the best enterainment every heard.

Chamoo
28th May 2009, 17:03
It's too bad AJ's team isn't a little bit higher up the standings, he would definately give PT a good chance to run full season if he had a decent car on ovals.

chuck34
28th May 2009, 18:09
Why is that? Mario was champion at age 44, and had a multiple win season at age 48. Fittipaldi was a champion at age 43 and second at age 47. He had a multiple win season at 46 years of age. Mansell of course was rookie of the year and champion at age 40. Up until recently, drivers ran until their late 40's sometimes longer. I submit that conventional wisdom is wrong.

That said, he certainly won't maintain his skills sitting at home, he needs to be out there.

I never said conventional wisdom was right or wrong. It is what it is. You provide great examples from 15 years ago. Things have changed, or maybe they haven't really, just our perceptions of things.

I do agree that people can be good after 40, but I don't own a team.

DBell
28th May 2009, 21:57

I agree with you. I think Mario and Fittipaldi were guys who never ran out of motivation to drive, they just finally got too old to do it. I bet Mario would strap himself in a car this weekend if he was physically able to do it. Nigel seem to lose his motivation pretty quick after '93, though. Most guys after 40 probably struggle to keep the motivation at the same level that's needed to compete at top level more than a deterioration of their driving skills I would also say the demands of the sport outside of the car are higher than the old days.

Paul seems like one of those guys that's still highly motivated to drive. Does AJ work the radio? I'd love to hear some of the radio transmissions between Paul and AJ if that's the case.

TURN3
29th May 2009, 00:00
I agree with you. I think Mario and Fittipaldi were guys who never ran out of motivation to drive, they just finally got too old to do it. I bet Mario would strap himself in a car this weekend if he was physically able to do it. Nigel seem to lose his motivation pretty quick after '93, though. Most guys after 40 probably struggle to keep the motivation at the same level that's needed to compete at top level more than a deterioration of their driving skills I would also say the demands of the sport outside of the car are higher than the old days.

Paul seems like one of those guys that's still highly motivated to drive. Does AJ work the radio? I'd love to hear some of the radio transmissions between Paul and AJ if that's the case.

Remember Mario taking one of AGR's cars for a flight at Indy? It was just a test but he was well into his 50's and did a triple lindy that Dangerfield would've been proud of.

MDS
29th May 2009, 00:40

Add to that the cars were faster, harder to drive, and the track selection had much more variety. I think Paul has at least four more years left in him, and I hope KVRT can put together a full season for him next year.

NickFalzone
29th May 2009, 06:06
Very good interview with Tracy and AJ about their teamup this weekend. Sounds to me like AJ hopes to have PT the rest of the season, minus the CAN races Paul has already locked in with KV. I'm a bit unsure about the quality of Foyt's equipment on the bigger ovals, but I think this is an exciting partnership:

http://www.racer.com/2009/05/qa-with-paul-tracy-and-aj-foyt/

Mark in Oshawa
29th May 2009, 15:40
I never figured AJ and PT would hook up. PT as it has been argued about wants only to drive good equipment. However, he was on briefly on Sirius Speedway on NASCAR 128 (he and the host are old friends and they stray onto non NASCAR topics) talking about his adventure with Tommy Kendall and the motorhome, and how the tire blew just as he was talking to AJ.

Paul is a LOT like AJ. He hates losing, he loves the competition, and he has the fiery temper. This could be a tempestious relationship, or it just might work. Paul has immense respect for AJ, and AJ was one of his racing heroes. I think if anyone BUT AJ approached him with this level of team, PT would say no. I think he has reached a point where racing has to be fun and he has to compete. That said, I don't think this car will do the job once they hit the longer ovals.

I think Milwaukee will breed results based on PT's ability on that track, but on the tracks like Texas or Chicagoland, he will be struggling. On the road courses in Canada, he will be with Vassar and I think he will once again show he still has something.

He is out of a ride because the music stopped and all the good chairs were taken last year. AS good as he was and is, the guys in the good rides are at his level and younger, and some are bringing sponsorship, or they HAVE big sponsors (hello Danica) that precludes him bumping in there. Furthermore, he and Mike Andretti have never gotten along, and while Penske and him are friendly, Penske has his stable. Ganassi would be a possiblity, but again, as much as I like Paul, Franchitti and Dixon are as good if not better, plus younger.

Paul is caught in a numbers game, and having Forsythe tie him up contractually until half way through last year has put him on the outside. I think he will race for AJ and have decent results on some tracks, and do well with KV, and maybe contend for a win. I think though he is caught being a risky bet in a game where younger guys with the same or equal skill are out there. I think he has handled all of this well. He knows where he is as a racer, and he wont drive junk as a rule. We'll see if AJ's effort is "junk" in the next few races wont we?

HE is just the most glaring casualty of the stupidity of the last 14 years of OW....

garyshell
29th May 2009, 18:27
Paul blogged about the phone call from AJ on the trip back from Indy to Vegas. A hilarious read!!!

http://www.racer.com/2009/05/paul-tracys-blog-may-29-my-abc-supply-thatll-be-adventure-blowout-continental/

Gary

dataman1
29th May 2009, 18:48
Paul blogged about the phone call from AJ on the trip back from Indy to Vegas. A hilarious read!!!

http://www.racer.com/2009/05/paul-tracys-blog-may-29-my-abc-supply-thatll-be-adventure-blowout-continental/

Gary

Thanks Gary, great read.

FIAT1
29th May 2009, 19:39
Paul is better racer then 3/4 of the field if not the best and with garbage cars he does well. He is fun to watch!

Mark in Oshawa
30th May 2009, 15:24
That was one of the best blog's I have ever read. Basically, through it all The Thrilla is still the same butthead he would have been if he never left Toronto, but now he has money!!!

I think he and TK could be a comedy act on some level....I know there is a reality TV series there for anyone with a clue...it HAS to be better than some of that lame crap TLC puts up as "reality"

TURN3
30th May 2009, 22:33
Not sure how I feel about analyzing this match quite yet. Tracy way off pace but with minimal time they seemed to really make some improvements for the qualifying run. I guess that shows promise. Hard to tell with such little track time and both are brand new to each other at this point. He'll be outside of row 8 so if nobody spins high he'll tick a few guys off on L1.

garyshell
31st May 2009, 22:08
http://www.racer.com/2009/05/paul-tracys-blog-may-30-a-bad-day-in-the-office-ends-with-two-good-laps/

Paul has another blog entry. Too bad there is no RSS feed from their site.

Gary

jimispeed
31st May 2009, 22:36
Is AJ capable of giving him a good car???

SarahFan
31st May 2009, 22:53
well that wasn't pretty

Phoenixent
1st June 2009, 00:31
Is AJ capable of giving him a good car???

AJ needs to fire his crew and start over. The screw up on the qualifing setup and during the race crew took out 3 turn on the front instead of putting in. PT had to come back in and they put six in to fix their mistake. Maybe AJ can hire Bobby Rahals crew that ran Indy.

SarahFan
1st June 2009, 15:12
http://www.racer.com/2009/05/paul-tracys-blog-may-31-another-terrible-day…but-i-think-ill-fight-for-foyt/

NickFalzone
1st June 2009, 15:43
I haven't watched all of yesterday's race yet. What's PT's beef with Conway? "Con-weasel" "always crashing" etc. Did he get in Paul's way?