PDA

View Full Version : Full Course Yellow

cynisca
26th May 2009, 09:20
At IndyCar Series races and NASCAR races you always see a full course yellow. But is it really necessary a full course yellow? OK, on oval tracks it is probably necessary, but on road courses?

Is it probably to keep the field closer? Or really a safety point?

What’s your point of view?

In my honest opinion, I would prefer a full course yellow. Just because of the safety point of view. And secondary, it keeps the field closer.

SarahFan
26th May 2009, 13:32
On ovals, absolutely necessary. Except for certain limited circumstances, a waste on road courses. However, because of a couple of incidents, which I don't have time to go into here, it's been deemed necessary - NOT my point of view.

is the only reason they close pits to stop folks from racing back to the pits?

because IMO outside of an incident like RHR where the car ends up in pit lane they shouldn't...

*I was suprised they opened the pits sunday as early as they did on the RHR incident.... the car was hanging on the end of the tow truck and all the cars came in right past the clean -up....

nigelred5
26th May 2009, 14:37
On ovals, absolutely necessary. Except for certain limited circumstances, a waste on road courses. However, because of a couple of incidents, which I don't have time to go into here, it's been deemed necessary - NOT my point of view.

I know a job based in Indiannapolis you need to apply for.... :)

EagleEye
26th May 2009, 16:16
is the only reason they close pits to stop folks from racing back to the pits?

because IMO outside of an incident like RHR where the car ends up in pit lane they shouldn't...

*I was suprised they opened the pits sunday as early as they did on the RHR incident.... the car was hanging on the end of the tow truck and all the cars came in right past the clean -up....

The pits were cleared quickly in this case as the event happend right at one of the pit windows,and the spotters gave their team's drivers warnings on what was going on. They wanted to make sure everyone got in and did not run out of fuel.

At most oval races, BB will try and get the sweepers out under yellow, in other corners away from the event. This is to reduce the amount of marbles, though there seemed to be more this year than last.

There were two strange requests while under yellow Sunday:

One to pick up a broom (Danica's?) in turn two.

And another to gather up a beer can in turn four.

SarahFan
26th May 2009, 16:53
The pits were cleared quickly in this case as the event happend right at one of the pit windows,and the spotters gave their team's drivers warnings on what was going on. They wanted to make sure everyone got in and did not run out of fuel.

the car came to rest right in front of me.....makes sense the teams were low on fuel.... but i was still suprised the pits were opened with the car still hanging on the tow truck right where it came to rest

SarahFan
26th May 2009, 18:07
Happens all the time on a road, especially street, course. How would this be different?

its not .....just suprised me is all....

they had the pits closed (for no reason) for like 4 laps on the second to last pitstop...

not a biggie eitherway.... just seemed they were only 1 lap from completing the clean-up..... there were a 1/2 dozen workers along with a couple trucks and a tow truck with a hanging car in a fairly cramped space is all

F1boat
26th May 2009, 18:57
I don't know, but that really is my main problem with racing from the US. Always a yellow flag, it is tedious.

Chamoo
27th May 2009, 04:07
To their credit, they have tried at the end of 08 to eliminate full course cautions when they weren't nessicary. They have run local cautions more often. I remember at Mid-Ohio, there were a few spins when the track was drying and they ran locals when I thought they would definately do FC caution simply due to what they used to do. They are also trying to keep the FC cautions to minimum laps. There were many complaints about long and drawn out FC cautions and I think they have done a good job with that so far this season.