PDA

View Full Version : Humpy Wheeler offering to help turn the IRL around?

Jag_Warrior
25th May 2009, 19:53
According to Robin Miller on Wind Tunnel, Wheeler attended the Indy 500 instead of the Coke 600, and the speculation is that he's offering his services and talents to Tony George. True? BS? Or, who knows?

Miller made some kind of joke comparing what Wheeler could do versus what Gene Simmons has done (nothing?).

Hoop-98
25th May 2009, 19:56
According to Robin Miller on Wind Tunnel, Wheeler attended the Indy 500 instead of the Coke 600, and the speculation is that he's offering his services and talents to Tony George. True? BS? Or, who knows?

Miller made some kind of joke comparing what Wheeler could do versus what Gene Simmons has done (nothing?).

Can't wait for the chained school buses at the brickyard with Sparky leading the crowd in the Bojangles Chicken dance!!

Seriously, I'd listen to the man....

They just stopped the 600 for a moment of silence.

rh

Jag_Warrior
25th May 2009, 20:06
He's done some odd things over the years. But I'd say it's the behind the scenes work that he's done which has turned Charlotte, er... Lowe's Motor Speedway into a racing hub.

I never was quite clear on what people expected of Simmons anyway. He would know anything about promoting a racing series because...??? Linking up with someone of Wheeler's stature would lend more legitimacy to whatever the league is attempting to do going forward, IMO.

Mark in Oshawa
25th May 2009, 22:00
Simmons is only good at promoting himself and KISS, which really is the same thing. He pretends to be an expert on marketing, but lets face reality, he knew jack about racing and it was obvious.

Humpy on the other hand would be an asset. He understands racing, he understands sponsors and their role, and he understands promotion in ways Tony never had to understand.

The instant classic
25th May 2009, 22:42
i feel like indycar is on its last legs, so getting Wheeler to help is what they need,i always have said Tony.G. is not a great promoter and i do think hes got alot of "yes man" around him that doesnt help,
but for Wheeler i find that weird,hes a nascar guy wanted to help indycar? im sure he will help indycar but it will come with a price, promoters dont do things for free,

Jag_Warrior
26th May 2009, 00:46
but for Wheeler i find that weird,hes a nascar guy wanted to help indycar? im sure he will help indycar but it will come with a price, promoters dont do things for free,

Well yes, he is a "NASCAR guy", in that he was Bruton Smith's right hand man for many years. But since he and Bruton parted ways, and since he is a man who knows how to promote racing, if his gun is for hire, I'd give him enough money to buy as many bullets as he thinks are needed.

I think this is Tony's chance to get someone near him who knows what (actual) broad racing success looks like, and knows what it takes to please Fortune 500 sponsors. If Tony's smart, he'll be sending candy, flowers and some Franklin Co. 'shine to Humpy's house tomorrow morning. But like I said, if he's smart. I think the jury is still out on that one... or maybe it isn't. :dozey: We'll see.

ChicagocrewIRL
26th May 2009, 14:54
This is all fine and good but what are the chances of this really happening? On a scale from 1 to 10 with 1 being NO WAY.... I'd say a 3.

Does anyone have a link to the story ??

Jag_Warrior
26th May 2009, 17:10
It was on Wind Tunnel Sunday night. You might check Speed Channel. Maybe they put up transcripts on the site.

FIAT1
26th May 2009, 19:12
hUMPY who? Build fast and real Indycars , open up rules where ingeneering greats can build competition on all levels. Cars make stars not naked bodies on go-daddy. Stop this racing club spec toilets and go back what INDY was and is. Empty stands and slow cars is not a specatle, breaking speed records is. Build it and they will come , they will come with out old nascar guy. This is a age of inovation and high tech , go for it !Indycar is not a nascar therefore should start promotion and competition as high tech, high speed American top level formula before time runs out. See you at a mile.