PDA

View Full Version : Matthew Wilson Story

Waldrons11
15th February 2007, 18:07
From Sportinglife.com ..

McRAE UNIMPRESSED BY WILSON

Britain's first world rally champion Colin McRae believes Cumbria's Matthew Wilson has yet to show any clear indication of the talent needed to become the UK's next world champion.

Wilson is currently in his second season in a competitive car in the World Rally Championship but McRae has not been overly impressed with what he has seen so far.

According to McRae, Wilson has yet to show "an outstanding turn of pace" which he would expect a future champion to show early in his career.
On the eve of Rally Norway, the third round of the World Championship, McRae also revealed he believed there was a "significant" gap between Wilson and the leading drivers.

Wilson, whose father Malcolm was British champion and now runs the BP Ford rally team, drives a privately-entered £400,000 Ford Focus for the Eddie Stobart Motorsport Team.

In his first season last year Wilson picked up one championship point from 16 events and, at the age of 19, became the youngest winner of a stage on a round of the World Championship.

Wilson was taught to drive by 1981 world champion Ari Vatanen and by the age of 18 he was winning rounds of the British Championship but he was fast-tracked to the World Championship rather than competing in lesser series.

The idea was for him to learn the skills of racing complicated timed stages and then be a title contender by 2010.

"No other driver has gone along that (career) route," said McRae, who used to drive for Malcolm Wilson's Ford team.
"It is definitely being thrown in at the deep end," added McRae.
"I think he should be showing more pace than he is. His is in the same car (as the works Ford drivers), I don't know if exactly the same spec, but it is certainly not more than half a second a kilometre off the pace.
"And he is more than half a second a kilometre off the pace. So, judging on what I have seen, I'd say no, [he is not a potential world champion]. But let's see. I'm not saying he will never make it."

Marcus Gronholm, number one driver at BP Ford, declined to comment on the performance of his boss' son, but Malcolm Wilson acknowledged critics had questioned whether Matthew was World Championship material.

But he defended the decision to bring Matthew into WRC at 19 and pointed to the five-year plan for him to learn the rallies and build up his pace.
Matthew Wilson is not overly concerned by his critics and refers to the highlights of his 2006 season which included running in the top six on tough events like Mexico.

"People expect you to deliver a lot very quickly. You can't be expecting to jump in there and beating Sebastien Loeb. That's not realistic," said Matthew Wilson.
"This year is about getting more experience and confidence and, on certain events, start showing more speed. But this will take time.
"To put things in perspective, Colin's still the youngest winner of the championship and he was 26. So we still have six years to beat that.
"I know the country wants another world champion now, but it's not an overnight thing. I believe I can be world rally champion, or I would not be here now."

Corny
15th February 2007, 18:18
The thing I don't understand is that they put that guy immediatly in a WRCar..
Let that guy learn in lower classes, with slower cars. That's how all the big boys have done it (as far as I know)

MJW
15th February 2007, 18:20
The thing I don't understand is that they put that guy immediatly in a WRCar..
Let that guy learn in lower classes, with slower cars. That's how all the big boys have done it (as far as I know)

Andreas Mikklelson and Mads Ostberg - straight into WRC cars.

Tomski
15th February 2007, 18:21
Mr McRae is in a far better qualified than the majority of us to comment. I'll leave it at that..................

Corny
15th February 2007, 18:28

You think that guys will be world champion?

jidoka
15th February 2007, 18:35
Mr McRae is in a far better qualified than the majority of us to comment. I'll leave it at that..................

If it was requirement to be a former World Champion to comment on a drivers performance whats the point of this forum????

Back on topic, I was wondering when Wilson Jr was going to pop up again. I think this subject was debated extensively already on the forum???

Tom206wrc
15th February 2007, 19:43
Interesting thread... :p :

Halvis
15th February 2007, 20:03
You think that guys will be world champion?

Don't know about that - but if you look on Sweden, Østberg in his debut in WRC outclassed Wilson completely in an Impreza '04, even with stage win (Mickey Mouse, but still9 - Wilson has had a full season in a top car. I would say Østberg is much more lightly to become a champion!

Mikkelsen has the opportunity to do the same this weekend, it will be interesting to see.

I know it's snow, but still, with Matthews experience and car, he should have been way ahead!

Peugeot206WRC
15th February 2007, 20:03

The sad thing is theyre probably already faster then Slowson even if they have older cars and much much less experience than him. And Flodin, who never droved a wrc car before, beats him on the stages in sweden as long as slowson was on the road with no problems.

This is/looks like a pop idol thing (or whatever its called), but creating a rally star. It all feels fake. (i mean slowson, not the talents)
Its embarrasing!

Tomi
15th February 2007, 20:19
This is/looks like a pop idol thing (or whatever its called), but creating a rally star. It all feels fake. (i mean slowson, not the talents)
Its embarrasing!

agree, it's kind of sad but the rally is going in this direction i belive.

What comes to Norwegians and rally, i think they are a bit "overheating", but will come back on the earth after a while, and things become more healthy. :)
A little same was here too about F1 a few years back when it was kind of new, all dad's took their kids to drive carting, i put mikkelsen in same category, but it's not my problem, Wilson and dad Mikkelsen dont tell me how to use my money either.

COD
15th February 2007, 20:55
Too much too soon.
Building a career in lower classes seems still be the way to go. Look at Loeb and Sordo for example.

Wilson and to a certain extent Latvala are examples of going too big cars too soon. I'm afraid same will happen to the Norwegian young guns as well. I'm not sad if I'm wrong in that

JAM
16th February 2007, 01:00
One year ago i was alone in my opinion, but now i'm not alone :s mokin:

Like Cod wrote start on the top is not a good option.

The image of the driver could be burn burn forever, because we will always be seen as rich boy that evaluated by obligation and not by natural skills. Drivers with natural skills is what i search for. The WRC is the place for the best ones or the ones that are near the best ones. His eventual speed will never have the real value.

But is the sad reallity, this is the future direction. However this is not a reason to not coment the situation.

In Portugal he have Armindo Araújo, started with a Grp N Renault Clio 16V and after with a Saxo Cup. Two years on these cars and two titles. Next was the Saxo Kit Car during 3 years with three titles, next two years with a Grp N Mitsubishi and two more titles. And this year (finaly and a bit late) the PWRC... and a fantastic perfomance on his debut in snow. That is growing step by step. That is the way.

N.O.T
16th February 2007, 01:41
Wilson Threads should be illegal :) :)

Jokes apart i think that Wilson is nothing more than a warmbold case...maybe in 2-3 years he manages to do some respecatble times in top 10 when the entry lists are good and that will be it....but i doubt speedwise he will ever be among top 6.

As for the other issue that of taking rally step by step...sometimes this way doesn't lead you anywhere...and you get stuck in the lower classes for ever like Meeke.

Karbonyl
16th February 2007, 01:54
Name: Mathew Wilson
Position: The son

Nothing more to say...

Spud
16th February 2007, 03:30
I agree that young Wilson is off the pace and perhaps he should have stayed in the lower classes BUT...give the kid a break.After all he HAS been thrown into the "deep end" hasnt he?? Ill give him some more time before I decide wether or not he should be competing at this level.I mean..if my Dad ran a WRC team I know Id want a shot at it...wether I was competitive or not!!!!!

Karbonyl
16th February 2007, 03:46
Well, I often compare young Wilson to Andreas Aigner. Both of them are young boys and both of them came to WRChamp last year. Wilson had an advantage that he ran WRC car already before 2006 season in the UK. But Aigner's first contact with WRC happened when coming to 2006 Monte Carlo. And although the Austrian did generally better performance in all 2006 season. Aigner is also "created pop-star", but in my opinion he has better skills to drive a rally car than Willson. And he has to try to do his best in PWRC, because if he will not have made good result in production car, the door to WRC will shut.

Spud
16th February 2007, 03:50
You make a good point Karbonyl....I am sure Matthew is going to have to prove he is deserving of his seat at some point...we will see.....

Corny
16th February 2007, 06:45
I remember some Francois Duval in Sweden 2002, first time in a WRCar, no snow experience, driving in a much stronger field than there's now, and got 10th. That's what I call pure talent.

I don't think Duval will be champion, because he never got much faster.

This is what I mean, you can't say much about a driver that's still so young. You can only hope he will improve..

JAM
16th February 2007, 09:10
As for the other issue that of taking rally step by step...sometimes this way doesn't lead you anywhere...and you get stuck in the lower classes for ever like Meeke.

There's nothing to do with the Wilson situation. Without the right support you never reach nothing, with or without skills. But with skills SOMETIMES you can atract attention and to receive something good, unfortunatelly only sometimes. But that's it, Wilson with a Focus WRC and Meeke without it. If you are sad by not having a top driver on WRC ask to Malcon Wilson and Eddie Stobart where is his british spirit.

I'm against the guy made rallystar without skills.

Buzz Lightyear
16th February 2007, 09:29
For me, as an outsider, its doing Stobarts image harm continually flogging a dead horse. It doesnt really show with good business acumen...

It might last till the end of the season, but that will be it.

DonJippo
16th February 2007, 09:33
If you are sad by not having a top driver on WRC ask to Malcon Wilson and Eddie Stobart where is his british spirit.

Let me ask one thing...as a father what would you do if given the same possibility as what Malcolm Wilson has to support his own son? Matthew is not going to be a champion yes we can all see that but they are father and son, don't you think he is entitled to do and support his own son in anyway he wants? And that should not be any others business than Malcolm's and Matthew's IMHO.

A.F.F.
16th February 2007, 09:39
Wilson jr. is like Don Quiote against windmills. I can't see him winning them, ever.

BUT, the seat is not away from anybody, better yet, Wilson jr. having the seat makes it possible for other to drive too :up:

So, if you ask me, drive all you want Matthew :)

Buzz Lightyear
16th February 2007, 09:41
for sure.. but dont call yourself the next world champion... :)

JAM
16th February 2007, 09:42
Let me ask one thing...as a father what would you do if given the same possibility as what Malcolm Wilson has to support his own son? Matthew is not going to be a champion yes we can all see that but they are father and son, don't you think he is entitled to do and support his own son in anyway he wants? And that should not be any others business than Malcolm's and Matthew's IMHO.

If I was his father I never put him in a WRC car on the WRC championship with 18yo. I would probably think about some rallyes if the guy would show a very good pace, but Wilson didn't shown that on the national rallyes. All of this is also to Andreas Aigner, because is almost the same situation. Aigner was so good to drive a WRC car and now on PWRC we see what happens. WRC don't need these false top drivers.

Dear Don Jippo If this is Malcom and Matthew business and should not be discussed, then we could go home and close the forum. The perfomance of all the drivers on Norway is his own bussines, not our business. They are the ones who have to show results to the sponsors so we must be shut up no?

Peugeot206WRC
16th February 2007, 10:05
Why do some people always say without matt there wouldnt be a stobart team to defend him? I think youre wrong.
Maybe (note maybe) the stobart wouldnt be there, but im sure there would be another team/driver who would be there instead.
I think they who came up with this first just did it so there is an excuse for matt to be in the wrc.
In a older thread i saw some people said there would be a stobart team with or without wilson! I have no sources but im sure it would be a team even without matt

DonJippo
16th February 2007, 10:14
Dear Don Jippo If this is Malcom and Matthew business and should not be discussed, then we could go home and close the forum. The perfomance of all the drivers on Norway is his own bussines, not our business. They are the ones who have to show results to the sponsors so we must be shut up no?

Yes I do believe this is Malcolm's and Matthew's business but I'm not saying it should not be discussed, just wondering what there is that has not yet been said in earlier posts?

And what comes to sponsors, don't think it really depends about Matthew's results if they stay with M-Sport or not, do you? After all most of the sponsors they have are driver's sponsors not team excluding ofcourse the official team and it's title sponsors.

JAM
16th February 2007, 10:20
Yes I do believe this is Malcolm's and Matthew's business but I'm not saying it should not be discussed, just wondering what there is that has not yet been said in earlier posts?

Understood. People simply don't like them. He was presented as the future WRChampion in January 06. I'm repeating my arguments since then :d but i'm not tired.

And after all people maybe feel the same as me, if they have money to spend, then please spend in a british driver that would leave far the name of UK and gave positive feed back to the sponsoring and the country.

When i refered the relation sponsors / drivers was talking in general, not in the Wilson's case.

WRC2006
16th February 2007, 10:21
Are the Kid and Daddy aware of this forum?

It may be helpfull for them and know what to do!!!

DonJippo
16th February 2007, 10:23
And after all people maybe feel the same as me, if they have money to spend, then please spend in a british driver that would leave far the name of UK and gave positive feed back to the sponsoring and the country.

Being my money to spend and having own son or someone else to spend it, I would choose my son. And that is what I mean it's up to Malcolm to decide as I do believe Matthew's driving is from Malcolm's pocket and not from any sponsor.

JAM
16th February 2007, 10:26
Being my money to spend and having own son or someone else to spend it, I would choose my son. And that is what I mean it's up to Malcolm to decide as I do believe Matthew's driving is from Malcolm's pocket and not from any sponsor.

And that's why people discuss the matter :D

Waldrons11
16th February 2007, 11:58
It will be interesting to see how Wilson compares to Wilks this weekend - Guy is currently just 8.5 seconds slower than Matthew after stage 3, and thats in an older Focus.

Blind
16th February 2007, 12:56
Rally Norway, stage 4 - Grue 14.37km

Matthew Wilson - Ford Focus RS WRC 06
Stage time: 8:01.1

Per Gunnar Andersson - Suzuki Swift S1600
Stage time: 8:00.3

Look at the cars they are driving with and compare those times. NO COMMENTS!

BDunnell
16th February 2007, 13:05

I agree. However, that shouldn't preclude people from having opinions on Matthew's performance, and mine is that he doesn't hack it. I also think that it's a shame there isn't a truly strong British Championship in which he could be competing as a prelude to any WRC career, just as Colin McRae and Matthew's father had the undoubted benefit of.

jidoka
16th February 2007, 19:26
If he has the finance for a 6 year wrc programme, surely he could afford to spend a year learning his trade on the JWRC and PWRC. The stakes, spotlight and learning curve wouldn't be so great.

I also think that it's a shame there isn't a truly strong British Championship in which he could be competing as a prelude to any WRC career, just as Colin McRae and Matthew's father had the undoubted benefit of.

Just because British rallying is poor doesn't mean he has to jump into the WRC so quickly. Plenty of competitive European championships for Matthew to benefit from. Aswell as the asian championship, where McRae competed....

Tomi
16th February 2007, 19:34
Just because British rallying is poor doesn't mean he has to jump into the WRC so quickly. Plenty of competitive European championships for Matthew to benefit from. Aswell as the asian championship, where McRae competed....

He was here in Finnish championship, but then he had an accident.

BDunnell
16th February 2007, 19:42

This is true.

jidoka
16th February 2007, 19:42
He was here in Finnish championship, but then he had an accident.

Are we talking about McRae. Since you said accident I presume we are. How many rallies did he do?

Tomi
16th February 2007, 19:46
Are we talking about McRae. Since you said accident I presume we are. How many rallies did he do?

not mcrae, but wilson was here, did not do so good and the accident he had somewhere else if i remember right.

koko0703
16th February 2007, 22:55
BTW what happens to Ford JWRC prorgram??? Is there still Ford Fiesta JWRC running in WRC??? ( I guess Puma's are gone....!?) If so, does M-Sports run JWRC's???

After seeing Loeb, Duval, Sordo, etc. coming up from JWRC, I think JWRC is a good step stone to WRC, and Matthew Willson should've competed in JWRC if Ford still has JWRC program.

tmx
16th February 2007, 23:42
matthew wilson is 20yrs old right?

Henri Toivenen I think is still the youngest drive to win a rally 24years old. and colin mcrae has tittle at 26 yrs old?

i think matthew have a couple more years to prove himself. maybe he will pull some supprise. although as of now there are many potential wrc champion in the future, mikko, sordo, atkinson. not many people gets to be champion.

Tom206wrc
17th February 2007, 09:50

If I had a son I wouldn't let him drive a rally car explaining him it's too dangerous :p :

:laugh:

Jokes appart, I would'nt let drive the biggest cars but would make him start in lower class first ;)

[WRCRR]
17th February 2007, 11:09
BTW what happens to Ford JWRC prorgram??? Is there still Ford Fiesta JWRC running in WRC??? ( I guess Puma's are gone....!?) If so, does M-Sports run JWRC's???

There is a single Fiesta S1600 in JWRC this year, TRT entered car for Alessandro Bettega. This is a prize drive for winning the Fiesta Sporting Trophy International (FSTi) last year. Car is supposedly of the latest spec and build by M-Sport in late 2006.

JAM
17th February 2007, 15:45
matthew wilson is 20yrs old right?

Henri Toivenen I think is still the youngest drive to win a rally 24years old. and colin mcrae has tittle at 26 yrs old?

i think matthew have a couple more years to prove himself. maybe he will pull some supprise. although as of now there are many potential wrc champion in the future, mikko, sordo, atkinson. not many people gets to be champion.

I'm tired of reading "the potential... the potential... the potential" I want to see any sign of that potential and until now there's no litle sign. This is his 4h year in rallying... and please don't compare Wilson to Toivonen. Why did people talk about Matthew Wilson? Only because he start driving at 15 and because with 18 did the entire WRC. Anyone talked because he made some big perfomance? At least the lack of money of Aigner made him go to the correct place: PWRC.

geo374
17th February 2007, 15:51
It isn't Malcolm Wilson who is sponsoring Matthew, its Eddie Stobart! And who they sponsor is entirely up to them and to be fair it is logical as Matt is from Cumbria and Stobart have their HQ there.

jens
17th February 2007, 19:10
I expect Matthew to score more points than last year. First three rallies have been probably unsuitable to him, but since Mexico he should perform at least little better than so far.

noel157
17th February 2007, 19:45
It isn't Malcolm Wilson who is sponsoring Matthew, its Eddie Stobart! And who they sponsor is entirely up to them and to be fair it is logical as Matt is from Cumbria and Stobart have their HQ there.

I suspect Stobart is NOT funding the whole car and the whole season. There's some (or alot) of M-Sport money there too.
And don't forget Eddie Stobart no longer owns Stobart Transport, now owned by WA Developments International which is run by Andrew Tinkler.

Roy
17th February 2007, 20:50
The Stobart team is sponored by many business. They sponsored the seats of Wilson and Latvala.
Latvala is futher sponsored by ST1. For Tuuri.fi and GERN probaly not all the rallies, because I saw the last two brands only in Sweden on the car.

These are the partners and sponsors of Stobart team. The main sponsor is the business 'Eddie Stobart'.
http://www.stobartmotorsport.com/wrc_partners.asp

Koz
18th February 2007, 03:20
These threads are getting abit too sad.

Tell me, whow many of us would like to drive a WRC car?
If any of us had the chance to do what Wilson Jr did, we would without doubt do it.

Do you think it matters that he will never be champion or even win a rally?
I dont think so. The guy is living his dream.

Sure it sucks that he has no talent, sure its bad. But if we had the money, I am sure most of us would be doing the same.

Soon enough he (and his father) will realise that this isnt the life for him, and withdraw from rallying. I hope that this moment will come soon rather than later and that he wont end up like Armin Schwarz.

Buzz Lightyear
18th February 2007, 06:22
The Stobart team is sponored by many business. They sponsored the seats of Wilson and Latvala.
Latvala is futher sponsored by ST1. For Tuuri.fi and GERN probaly not all the rallies, because I saw the last two brands only in Sweden on the car.

These are the partners and sponsors of Stobart team. The main sponsor is the business 'Eddie Stobart'.
http://www.stobartmotorsport.com/wrc_partners.asp

stickers dont tell the whole story...

Tomski
18th February 2007, 09:19
These threads are getting abit too sad.

Tell me, whow many of us would like to drive a WRC car?
If any of us had the chance to do what Wilson Jr did, we would without doubt do it.

Do you think it matters that he will never be champion or even win a rally?
I dont think so. The guy is living his dream.

Sure it sucks that he has no talent, sure its bad. But if we had the money, I am sure most of us would be doing the same.

Soon enough he (and his father) will realise that this isnt the life for him, and withdraw from rallying. I hope that this moment will come soon rather than later and that he wont end up like Armin Schwarz.

I agree we'd all like Matt's drive, if he was openly entered as a "gentleman" driver just there for the craic, as opposed to a potential champion would we all treat him differently?

Finni
18th February 2007, 10:51
I think it's fair to say that drivers like Mikkelsen or Aigner (who has lesser experience than Wilson!) have shown much more signs of potential than young Wilson.

AndyRAC
18th February 2007, 17:29
While I appreciate the Wilson is still learning the rallies, is it not too much to expect him to put in the odd quick stage time( top 6 ). He hasn't and hasn't looked like doing so. Though I stand to be corrected and I'm not counting Superspecials. I have nothing against him and hope he does well, I'm gonna judge him at the end of this season, but so far it doesn't look good.

Tom206wrc
12th March 2007, 13:57
8th in Mexico this week-end !!! Wow!!!!

Matthew, daddy and Stobart must be celebrating that event at home in England now !! :D

Simmi
12th March 2007, 14:01
So he scores a point and still gets ridiculed...

N.O.T
12th March 2007, 14:19
So he scores a point and still gets ridiculed...

scoring a point while being 3 months behind doesn't say much....he gets what he deserves

J4MIE
12th March 2007, 20:41
Simmi, there comes a point when you just have to ask yourself what is he achieving?

Sure he got a point, and well done to him for that, but he was eight minutes!!!!!! behind Latvala in 7th. That is an embarrassing amount of time by anyone's standards. Are you going to even try to defend the weekend's performance?

MJW
12th March 2007, 21:43
No wonder Mark Higgins is not (driving a Stobart WRC Focus) anymore as Matt's team mate.

WRCfan
13th March 2007, 00:02
Ok hes not doing too flash this year, but hey what he does is up to him. I don't support the guy, but i don't put him down.

It's wonderful with all you backseat drivers claiming he is total and utter sh!t. How many threads have we run with this topic? It's boring. No one on this forum would be able to drive that car faster than him! (apart from Pentti, and he would do it in spectacular fashion). I know this is a discussion forum although discussing it once is cool. For the eighth time, reading the same slandering comments is a waste of bandwidth.

Let's find something worth talking about or has the WRC become that boring that we now need to discuss how sh!t the low ranking drivers are?

WRCfan

WRC1
13th March 2007, 06:55
No one on this forum would be able to drive that car faster than him! (apart from Pentti, and he would do it in spectacular fashion).

WRCfan

i would not be so sure on that, apart from pentti, there are a few more national drivers in the forum, i know for sure that at least two austrians are arround here, one with wrc-knowledge and one very good young upcoming driver, one of them already proofed that he is miles faster than slowson....

and i am sure from other countries are also drivers in here!

regards

wrc1

WRCfan
13th March 2007, 10:41
Yeah ok so there is always a couple of exceptions. The majority of us (which is a sh!t load) could not. THAT is my point.

The simple fact of the matter is

a: he is living his dream, so why shouldnt he?
b: if daddy or whoever is going to pay for him then that is their business.
c: MOST of US could not run any better so until we can we should stop sh!tting on him as hard as many are. (yes it is a discusison forum but this is really a nice case of bashing).
d: It is another WRC car to watch on the stages, or watch leave the road...why are we whinging?
e: I know EVERYONE on this forum would give their right arm to be in Matt's position
f: I dont support him however i don't sh!t on the dude, I certainlly don't support the bashing he gets from everyone. For ages the Brit's have whinged about not having a UK driver in the WRC, now u have one yet even though he is doing poorly you still feel the need to crap on him further...seems no one is very patriotic....

Just my 2 c.

A.F.F.
13th March 2007, 13:32
e: I know EVERYONE on this forum would give their right arm to be in Matt's position

Actually I'm right handed so should I give it away, I wouldn't be much of a driver. However, I'd give what's left of my brains. ( it's not much though )

RJL25
13th March 2007, 14:11
Wilson Jnr has this problem because he came out saying how he was going to be the next big thing, or atleast people in his entourage did, and as a result he has the spotlight and the weight of expectation thrust upon him. If he just quietly entered the sport and didn't make a fuss, then the spotlight wouldn't be on him and he wouldn't have to live up to, lets face it here, unrealistic expectations that he could one day win rallies and win championships. He should have just stuck with "hey I have an awesome opportunity here to have some fun competeing at the highest level. If i manage to crack it one day as a top driver then that would be wicked but at the moment im just concentrating on learning the ropes and becoming the best driver i can be" and thats it! Theres nothing wrong with being confident in your own abilities and thinking you could one day be the best, but that doesn't mean you need to broadcast it! Keep it to yourself man!

I think its great he is out there living his dream, wish i could be doing it! but by making a fuss he now has to put up with the critics, thats his problem, not the critics

JAM
13th March 2007, 14:51
Wilson Jnr has this problem because he came out saying how he was going to be the next big thing, or atleast people in his entourage did, and as a result he has the spotlight and the weight of expectation thrust upon him. If he just quietly entered the sport and didn't make a fuss, then the spotlight wouldn't be on him and he wouldn't have to live up to, lets face it here, unrealistic expectations that he could one day win rallies and win championships. He should have just stuck with "hey I have an awesome opportunity here to have some fun competeing at the highest level. If i manage to crack it one day as a top driver then that would be wicked but at the moment im just concentrating on learning the ropes and becoming the best driver i can be" and thats it! Theres nothing wrong with being confident in your own abilities and thinking you could one day be the best, but that doesn't mean you need to broadcast it! Keep it to yourself man!

I think its great he is out there living his dream, wish i could be doing it! but by making a fuss he now has to put up with the critics, thats his problem, not the critics

I totally agree with you. The problem was the way as Matthew was shown when started the WRC in 2006. The future champion. With so many young drivers that show big skills, everybody was waiting some good rallyes from Matthew and that didn't happened (many of us already knew that was dificult to happen).

With so many promises and so many presentations as "the next big star", and looking at the results, the critics are obvious and acceptable. The critics are only a consequence of the atitude.

Zico
13th March 2007, 19:44
It's wonderful with all you backseat drivers claiming he is total and utter sh!t. How many threads have we run with this topic? It's boring. No one on this forum would be able to drive that car faster than him! (apart from Pentti, and he would do it in spectacular fashion).

WRCfan

No-one on this forum except Pentti.. (Wheres that PMSL smiley?) Bollocks!

I believe there would be many forum members quicker than him if they had similar WRC experience.. Its plain to see that Mathew just doesnt have the raw speed required.

I used to say give him time.. but hes had more than enough of that now and I totally agree with JAM that he just doesnt have it.

jso1985
13th March 2007, 19:51
I know if it wasn't for Mathew Wilson there wouldn't even be the Stobart team, so basically he isn't taking anyone else's seat.
So nothing agaisnt "tourist" drivers as I would do the same if had the cash required but one thing is for sure IMO, Wilson has no talent for WRC so maybe his dad and everyone around him should stop claiming he's the next big thing in WRC cause that's what the fans find a bit annoying.
Similar is the case with Juan Pablo Raies, he claims to be the best rally driver in South America yet he couldn't beat regularly N4 cars with a 2003 WRC Impreza

Brother John
14th March 2007, 12:57
:dozey: Never ending story here. :s mokin: recurrence, repeats.......repeats....... :down: :s nore:

Tom206wrc
14th March 2007, 13:10
The story will last maximum 4 years again(the length of Wilslow contract with daddy in WRC) :p :

janneppi
14th March 2007, 14:42
So nothing agaisnt "tourist" drivers as I would do the same if had the cash required but one thing is for sure IMO, Wilson has no talent for WRC so maybe his dad and everyone around him should stop claiming he's the next big thing in WRC cause that's what the fans find a bit annoying.

I might be bit in the dark, but i haven't really seen or heard Malcom setting his son up as the big one. Most interviews i've seen has him downplaying expectations and mentioning only smallish positive steps.

JAM
14th March 2007, 17:26
I might be bit in the dark, but i haven't really seen or heard Malcom setting his son up as the big one. Most interviews i've seen has him downplaying expectations and mentioning only smallish positive steps.

You should go back 12 months or 13 months and read what was written at time. And i never saw nobody from the team come to public and say that the reports and interviews were false.

]I know if it wasn't for Mathew Wilson there wouldn't even be the Stobart team, so basically he isn't taking anyone else's seat

I already told you that Stobart exists while exist drivers with money to rent the cars, not only because Matthew. Last year you had Luis Peres Companc, Kosti katajamaki and Jari Mati Latvala to runs the Focus WRC04 and altely the 06. This year you have Latvala and Henning Solberg, and as you see Wilson is not nomitanted to score points in some events. Without Wilosn the Focus04 were running. It's only a question of money... if money appear the cars run. You still can't understand that? Before Matthew was the future WRC champion, now Matthew is the responsible for having a n. 2 Ford Team... this is like a Joke. About Raies... the best sul american driver?? Only in his own mind.

janneppi
14th March 2007, 17:54
You should go back 12 months or 13 months and read what was written at time. And i never saw nobody from the team come to public and say that the reports and interviews were false.

I'll take your word for the praises, but do you honestly think it still warrants such a venomous scoulding every bleeding stage of every bleeding rally every goddamn bloody day when they have stopped making his drive a big deal?
I think it just shows how snobbish people can be about their own little sport.

Tom206wrc
14th March 2007, 18:41
I don't think critics will stop until some rally fans(especially from UK)still consider Wilslow as a rallystar instead of a simple "gentleman driver"... :rolleyes:

JAM
14th March 2007, 18:42
I'll take your word for the praises, but do you honestly think it still warrants such a venomous scoulding every bleeding stage of every bleeding rally every goddamn bloody day when they have stopped making his drive a big deal?
I think it just shows how snobbish people can be about their own little sport.

Excuse me but i'm not very good in english language, so i don't answer your post because i could had missunderstood it.

Simmi
14th March 2007, 19:46
I would really appreciate it if someone could dig something up from 12 months ago that said he would win the world championship, because here in the UK I heard nothing apart from 'developing and gaining experience' and talks of '3 year plans'. I dont know what has been said (dare I say misquoted) in your respective national media, but I really haven't heard anything of the sort. Most definately not from Matt nor his father so as I say I'd love to see something just so I can read it for myself.

I, nor is anyone in the UK pretending Matt is the next big thing, he deserved a chance and had the means to do it and I'm very much with janneppi when he says why are people still slating him when we all know the level of driver that he is. He's not up to standard, as are a lot of drivers in the WRC.

If it were up to the people in this forum there would have been no Solbergs or McRae's, simply because their early careers were poor. Im not saying Matt is anywhere near that level but thats hardly the point. Just let him drive.

jens
14th March 2007, 21:57
Interesting that an underdog named Wilson gets so much and almost endless attention. :) A lot more than some better drivers, who would deserve it more!

JAM
14th March 2007, 23:23
If it were up to the people in this forum there would have been no Solbergs or McRae's, simply because their early careers were poor. Im not saying Matt is anywhere near that level but thats hardly the point. Just let him drive.

McRae has a good start of the career and the results aftear that proved it. Petter Solberg had a not so good start of career (i remember him in Portugal in 1999... really sad) and i never considered Petter Solberg one of the best drivers. Was a driver made by manufactureres, but not a natural talented. With all the respect that Petter deserves (as Matthew) this is my opinion.

About Matthew i said everything one year ago, i was the only one, now if i would repeate i will be one more saying the same. I don't want to be repetitive. I was alone, and i'm not anymore alone.

sxis
15th March 2007, 00:40
Can a just say i agree with Simmi AND CAN THE REST OF YOU GET A LIFE

Simmi
15th March 2007, 13:59
Im not interested in what you were saying particularly JAM I was wondering about all the media attention you keep mentioning and what they were saying.

Roy
15th March 2007, 14:57
I would really appreciate it if someone could dig something up from 12 months ago that said he would win the world championship, because here in the UK I heard nothing apart from 'developing and gaining experience' and talks of '3 year plans'. I dont know what has been said (dare I say misquoted) in your respective national media, but I really haven't heard anything of the sort. Most definately not from Matt nor his father so as I say I'd love to see something just so I can read it for myself....

About the 5 years plan: I heard Malcolm Wilson speak that words on WRC radio. But I don't know what it means. What is the final result after 5 years? That I've never heard or is expain.

Roy
15th March 2007, 19:36
This is high interest story!

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:STxohHy3_3cJ:www.rallyworldmagazine .com/rwmeng/phpnews0.php%3Fsubaction%3Dshowfull%26id%3D1164510 019%26archive%3D%26start_from%3D%26ucat%3D6%26+mat thew+wilson+rallyworld&hl=nl&ct=clnk&cd=1

Buzz Lightyear
15th March 2007, 21:00
Can a just say i agree with Simmi AND CAN THE REST OF YOU GET A LIFE

i am quite happy with my life. just because you are getting a little angry.. because the critics are being proved right, and you are being proved wrong. The fact that matthew wilson ditched last years pacenotes from mexico to start a different pacenote making system, smacks of desparation, with very little else to try..

xavier
15th March 2007, 21:12
Give the kid a break.

He has high hopes, that's sure. Like many of you I also thing he will never be champion material, but he gaves himself 5 year to starting winning rallies. So far he is not even at the halway point so there is still time for him to improve and it's too ealiy to make a definite judgement.

Anyway, it's not like he's taking another driver seat, so who care if he enjoys himself and spend dad's money?

jparker
16th March 2007, 01:36
Can somebody somehow compare Mattew's career path with some other drivers so we can all see if it's that bad. Usualy other drivers at the same stage of career are not under the spotlight, but did they do better then Mattew? What are the numbers saying?

JAM
16th March 2007, 10:32
Im not interested in what you were saying particularly JAM I was wondering about all the media attention you keep mentioning and what they were saying.

Dear Simmi

You seem to be a blind one in Matthew Wilson's posts. Always defendindg the guy without arguments, and i still don't know if in 2006 you were not one of the ones who called me jealeous whem i put doubts on Wilson skills.

This thread started with the words from a british Rally driver: Colin Mcrae. Their words are not very different from mine and from the words of majority of us here on this forum.

The articles at that time (2006) shown what the press was writing about Matthew Wilson and his future.

About media attention, try to search because i don't need to search nothing, i read that many months ago, and we discuss that here many months ago. Can't understand why you have doubts about what press wrote.

About examples similar to Wilson i only know one: Anthony Warmbold.

janneppi
16th March 2007, 10:45
Oh come on JAM, your were one of the guys saying Wilson was praised too much in media, now back your own words up with some evidence of it. :)
Or were you talking out of your ass? ;)

Peugeot206WRC
16th March 2007, 12:15
Yeah ok so there is always a couple of exceptions. The majority of us (which is a sh!t load) could not. THAT is my point.

This is not a insult on you WRCfan, just wanted to answer these comments!

The simple fact of the matter is

a: he is living his dream, so why shouldnt he?
Ofcourse, he do what he wants. Its just embarrasing!

b: if daddy or whoever is going to pay for him then that is their business.
No idea, but im sure there is more people paying for this, who dont give a **** if its slowson or not behind the wheel.

c: MOST of US could not run any better so until we can we should stop sh!tting on him as hard as many are. (yes it is a discusison forum but this is really a nice case of bashing).

thats a sad comment.
First I wanna say that many from this forum would probably be as fast as him if they got same experience as he got, no doubt, or maybe faster. Since so many out there with less experience and suckier car is already faster then him.

Second I wanna inform you that most of us are spectator following the WRC, I think if we are not allowed to comment someones driving without showing that we are better then its about time we close this forum or change it to a "dont say anything bad if you cant do it better"forum.

d: It is another WRC car to watch on the stages, or watch leave the road...why are we whinging?
Im pretty sure there would be another driver, another team or even stobbart themselves with another driver even if slowson wasnt there!
And it would be good getting of dangerous slow drivers blocking the road from other fast drivers. (that was a joke)

Maybe, and im sure they would do better even with only a left arm.

JAM
16th March 2007, 12:27
Oh come on JAM, your were one of the guys saying Wilson was praised too much in media, now back your own words up with some evidence of it. :)
Or were you talking out of your ass? ;)

Did you read the link posted on the page before? Do you think that i will spend time searching? You should think that my time is for this. Compare the 5 years plan with the same plan fro Solberg Martin and Loeb... they delivery something on the first year: Martin and Loeb delivered speed.

I have the same speach that had 1 year ago. Didn't change nothing, and that makes me happy, because before was a prediction, now is a confirmation of the facts.

Put Mark Higgins on Wilson's place and see ALL the Stobart Focus running fast. People is not accpeting that this is Anthony Warmbold part II...

Doon
16th March 2007, 12:28
I don't think critics will stop until some rally fans(especially from UK)still consider Wilslow as a rallystar instead of a simple "gentleman driver"... :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but are you taking the piss? How many gentlemen drivers do you know of that are 19yrs old? Maybe if he was 40yrs old and still on the same pace, then yes!

janneppi
16th March 2007, 14:20
Did you read the link posted on the page before? Do you think that i will spend time searching? You should think that my time is for this. Compare the 5 years plan with the same plan fro Solberg Martin and Loeb... they delivery something on the first year: Martin and Loeb delivered speed.
If you mean the Rally World Magazine link, that was very far from a praise, Matthew gave honest answers to questions put to him, you really can't blame British media having an interest on him, there weren many Brits around last year.

But no, i won't expect you to back up your words.

Simmi
16th March 2007, 17:36
You seem to be so proud that you predicted a driver would be bad JAM. Well done you dont need to keep talking about what you said a year ago, as there is not very much to discuss about Matt anymore in terms of his ability. We all know how good he is and so I fail to see why I am 'a blind one'. I have never pretended he is something he is not I have just campaigned for him to be treated with a modicum of respect by people sitting in front of their computers. I am not going to search for fantastical press reports that I dont beleive even exist so if you wont back up your claims then we will just agree to disagree.

JAM
16th March 2007, 18:52
as there is not very much to discuss about Matt anymore in terms of his ability.

That is the center of the question and that is why we have these discussions. Of course we go to pick up a lot of things around.

Roy
24th March 2007, 11:07
Can anybody explain the 5th years plan of Ford with Mikko and Petter?

Malcom Wilson about the targets of his son.
"The targets are to try and finish all the rallies and get the experience. On the odd stage on certain events we see the performance is there on some of the splits, so I am not bothered. We have a five-year plan like we have done with Mikko and like we did with Petter too. So there are no specific results orientated targets, it is more a case of building up that invaluable experience, which you need now to be a top driver."

http://www.crash.net/feature_view~cid~4~id~10968.htm

Simmi
24th March 2007, 14:59
I think the Subaru money got in the way of their plan for Petter.

Tom206wrc
3rd May 2007, 15:06
What do you believe he will do in Argentina ??? :p :

Driver points finish ??? ;)

jonas_mcrae
3rd May 2007, 17:00
What do you believe he will do in Argentina ??? :p :

Driver points finish ??? ;)

Naaa

alleskids
3rd May 2007, 18:33
I think the Subaru money got in the way of their plan for Petter.

... which came after Wilson continued to refuse given Petter a contract. So Subaru snatched he two hot youngsters of that time, Petter Solberg and privateer Corolla driver Markko Martin.

cut the b.s.
3rd May 2007, 18:55
... which came after Wilson continued to refuse given Petter a contract. So Subaru snatched he two hot youngsters of that time, Petter Solberg and privateer Corolla driver Markko Martin.

was Martin not also 'snatched' from Ford/MSport?

sills
4th May 2007, 00:57
well if u look at it 13 wrc cars giveing retirments i would say a points finish is possible because of the limited amount of wrcs in the rally

Simmi
4th May 2007, 17:53

He didnt refuse a contract he just wasnt happy about giving the type of contract that Petter wanted. They matched Prodrive money wise according to what it says in Rallycourse 2001. I dont think you can really point the finger at Malcolm as I firmly believe Petter would not have made it if Wilson hadn't taken a massive chance on him.

Tom206wrc
9th May 2007, 17:55
Pitty the electrical problems Matt had in Argentina :mark: