PDA

View Full Version : Should F1 teams breakaway ?

CNR
25th May 2009, 04:43
http://www.espnstar.com/motorsport/f1/news/detail/item274765/Should-F1-teams-breakaway-/

The idea of a breakaway championship is not new to Formula 1 with the concept routinely proposed in the last three decades by rebel teams, notably when negotiations are underway over commercial arrangements in the sport.

The controversy first broke in 1980 when members of the Formula One Constructors Association (FOCA), ironically ran by Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosley at the time, staged a racing event without the teams in support of the Fédération Internationale du Sport Automobile (FISA), then the governing body.

Hondo
25th May 2009, 06:06
They may have to break away. I understand that Max was given a letter Sunday morning that stated the FOTA teams are all in agreement demanding that the F1 2009 rules carry over to 2010.

I don't look for Max to back down. He can fill the F1 grid in 2010 with all kinds of wanna-be F1 teams including some IRL crossovers that still remember how to turn right and left. If Max stands firm, Toyota, Renault, and BMW will be able to leave without looking like they are running away. McLaren and Ferrari can go back to sportscars. Sir Frank and Patrick Head can finally retire, and Brawn and Force India will break ranks and sign up for 2010.

mstillhere
25th May 2009, 06:44
They may have to break away. I understand that Max was given a letter Sunday morning that stated the FOTA teams are all in agreement demanding that the F1 2009 rules carry over to 2010.

I don't look for Max to back down. He can fill the F1 grid in 2010 with all kinds of wanna-be F1 teams including some IRL crossovers that still remember how to turn right and left. If Max stands firm, Toyota, Renault, and BMW will be able to leave without looking like they are running away. McLaren and Ferrari can go back to sportscars. Sir Frank and Patrick Head can finally retire, and Brawn and Force India will break ranks and sign up for 2010.

I predict Force India next year to get many, many podiums :)

Jag_Warrior
25th May 2009, 08:06
I stuck around for the CART vs. IRL Civil War. I'll be sitting this one out.

Odd that people never learn from the mistakes of others.

http://www.windmill.nildram.co.uk/images/golden_goose.jpg

Big Ben
25th May 2009, 08:08
now, you wouldn't you expect Max to learn something, would you?

VkmSpouge
25th May 2009, 11:36
A championship split worked so well for Indycars.

Hondo
25th May 2009, 12:44
now, you wouldn't you expect Max to learn something, would you?

Max has learned to win in matters Max wants to win.

Jag_Warrior
25th May 2009, 17:11
A championship split worked so well for Indycars.

Yeah, they shot the golden goose with an AK47 over here. One series went under (twice) and now the survivor is getting TV ratings that match those of a 3AM blue screen test pattern... on a network that few people have even heard of. And the battle cry remains: well, wait til next year! People have been talking about next year being the year for about 15 years now.

I hope the teams, Max and Bernie give a hard look to the joke that AOWR is now, and decide not to even take the chance that F1 will be destroyed, as IndyCar has been destroyed. The lesson: once you well & truly alienate the fan base, don't expect them to go to great lengths to find you ten years later. People move on.

Hondo
25th May 2009, 17:42
Looks like Williams has signed up for 2010. They say they had contact obligations to do so. So why did they sign the FOTA letter if they knew they had to sign on with the FIA regardless?

ioan
25th May 2009, 17:53
Looks like Williams has signed up for 2010. They say they had contact obligations to do so. So why did they sign the FOTA letter if they knew they had to sign on with the FIA regardless?

Playing at both ends obviously.

Garry Walker
25th May 2009, 18:00
Playing at both ends obviously.

Williams will make the cars for the new championship FIA created (f2 or whatever its name was), so FOTA teams knew ages ago Frank would sign up for next year at once, this was to be expected.

Hondo
25th May 2009, 18:17
It just seemed silly to me to sign the letter when you knew you had obligations to Bernie and the FIA. They could have informed FOTA "we agree in principle, but we cannot sign at this time due to previous obligations" and left it at that. By doing what they have done, makes the entire FOTA thing look like a house of cards. Maybe it is.