PDA

View Full Version : NHL Mechanic's Killer Sentenced

dataman1
22nd May 2009, 14:25
Davey Evan's killer, Jame Brakin took a plea deal on a lesser charge of voluntary manslaughter. He was sentenced yesterday to a 14 year prison term.

DBell
22nd May 2009, 14:36
Davey Evan's killer, Jame Brakin took a plea deal on a lesser charge of voluntary manslaughter. He was sentenced yesterday to a 14 year prison term.

Is that 14 before he's eligible for parole, or just 14 years total? If it's the latter, then he'll most likely be eligible for parole in about 7 years. Either way, not enough time for viciously taking another person's life. I hope his time in prison is "unpleasant".

dataman1
22nd May 2009, 14:40
Is that 14 before he's eligible for parole, or just 14 years total? If it's the latter, then he'll most likely be eligible for parole in about 7 years. Either way, not enough time for viciously taking another person's life. I hope his time in prison is "unpleasant".

I don't know the answers but agree with your comment. Davey was a gentle good human being and friend. He deserved so much more.

jimispeed
22nd May 2009, 17:16
Tragedy, with a slap on the wrist IMO......

MDS
22nd May 2009, 23:15
From the USA today:

The judge ordered the 14-year sentence to be served in prison, rejecting a request from defense attorney Eugene Hollander that Brackin be sentenced to community corrections because he has two children. The maximum sentence possible was 20 years.
Sounds to me like he's going to have to serve 14 years, which means he won't be around to see his children grow up.