PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: Campos lodge their F1 2010 entry

Giuseppe F1
22nd May 2009, 09:14
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75501

Campos's team lodges F1 entry
By Pablo Elizalde
Friday, May 22nd 2009, 07:35 GMT

The Campos Racing team has confirmed its intention to enter Formula 1 in 2010, having lodged its entry for the championship tonight.

The team, currently racing in the Spanish Formula 3 Championship, is owned by former grand prix driver Adrian Campos, who previously owned current GP2 champion Barwa Addax. This was initially believed to be the team which had F1 plans, something that was denied earlier this week.

Campos Racing confirmed on Friday that at 00:05 it had lodged its entry for the championship under the budget cap rules.

The official period to submit entries for next year opened today and closes on May 29.

Campos said it has lodged its entry in conjunction with Meta Image, and that the F1 team would be called Campos Meta 1.

The team said it was unwilling to reveal the people involved in the project, but denied reports that appeared in the Spanish media about some of the investors linked to it.

Spain's top-selling newspaper Marca had reported earlier this week that Mexican businessman Carlos Slim and NBA player Pau Gasol were involved in the project.

ioan
22nd May 2009, 10:40
Judging by the forumers interest on this entry it's obvious that Ferrari have a point when they belittle these new entries.

DexDexter
22nd May 2009, 11:41
It's just another Forti,Mastercard Lola or better yet Eurobrun. Do we really need these sorts of teams?

I am evil Homer
22nd May 2009, 11:47
You can tell that before they've ever turned a wheel? I'm not a fan of the cap or what it could mean but to outright dismiss anyone who wants to join F1 before they begin is just as wrong.

I think some of the potential people could do very well - ie, Prodrive - so won't dismiss anyone before I even see what they can do. They at least have GP2 experience.

K-Pu
22nd May 2009, 11:51
A Spanish team in F1...

I donīt know if itīs good or bad. Good because itīs Spanish and Iīd like to see them doing something right, but at the same time I seriously fear what will happen in the media. It happened with Alonso, and can come back:

-Campos! How are you doing?
-Campos... I had some trouble with the Campos in the Campos...
- Oh... I understand. Have you tried the Campos?
-Yes, but it does not work with Campos. So I shoult tell Campos that I canīt do it.
- I see. Well, good luck and Campos!

K-Pu
22nd May 2009, 11:53
Anyway, I always liked Adrian Campos, and I want to see him take revenge on Alonso... Some people still remember Alonso saying no one helped him to get into F1, forgetting about Campos.

Imagine Alonso racing for Campos Meta 1 XD.

JSH
22nd May 2009, 11:56
It's just another Forti,Mastercard Lola or better yet Eurobrun. Do we really need these sorts of teams?

If many of the current teams follow through on not entering next season, then... YES. We do need them.

Sleeper
22nd May 2009, 12:07
I wonder were they're going to design and build an F1 car? Surely not the same place they do small changes to their F3 Dallara!

F1boat
22nd May 2009, 12:22
I am so excited...

No.

Knock-on
22nd May 2009, 12:47
Ladies and Gentlemen. I give you the SS Formula 1.

http://shrink4men.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/sinking_ship.jpg

punter_S14
22nd May 2009, 13:08

Could also be another Hesketh,Wolf,Ligier,Benetton,Leyton House,Jaguar or Brawn.
It is a weak view. They all have to start somewhere, some survive others don't. But many of the teams today have fairytale stories, fans & moments in the sun. In fact it would be Ferrari Mclaren Williams Renault BMW Brawn & now Red Bull. Even Tosso Rosso/Minardi drank the Moet in the end.
Bring them on, I say & we don't need whinging welfare cases like Ferrari.

DexDexter
22nd May 2009, 13:15
You can tell that before they've ever turned a wheel? I'm not a fan of the cap or what it could mean but to outright dismiss anyone who wants to join F1 before they begin is just as wrong.

I think some of the potential people could do very well - ie, Prodrive - so won't dismiss anyone before I even see what they can do. They at least have GP2 experience.

I think it would be great to see new teams in F1 but if these people come in just because there is a budget cap, they don't belong in F1. Prodrive would obviously be a class effort but the other mentioned, I don't know.

22nd May 2009, 13:32
Everybody harks back to the 'golden days' of prequalifying, everybody complains when teams go under, everybody complains about the manufacturers and their ability to leave overnight, and yet everybody complains about new teams wanting to join F1?

Sometimes I think you lot just like complaining.

22nd May 2009, 13:35
Ladies and Gentlemen. I give you the SS Formula 1.

http://shrink4men.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/sinking_ship.jpg

So would you be against a certain Kiwi called Bruce wanting to start his own F1 team?

I mean, buying his engines...that's not real Formula One!

DexDexter
22nd May 2009, 13:51
Everybody harks back to the 'golden days' of prequalifying, everybody complains when teams go under, everybody complains about the manufacturers and their ability to leave overnight, and yet everybody complains about new teams wanting to join F1?

Most people here don't remember the golden days well enough. Again, do we really want those Lifes and Colonis back. I think the Life broke down on the first lap every time? JJ Lehto drove for another one, Onyx in 89-90 and told an interesting story (on Finnish TV) about what is was like to drive for those teams. He and his engineers had complained that the car's front wing was bad and old. Well, for the next race he appeared to get a new one. Well it wasn't, they had just repainted it! :)

Knock-on
22nd May 2009, 14:00
So would you be against a certain Kiwi called Bruce wanting to start his own F1 team?

I mean, buying his engines...that's not real Formula One!

I'm not against a Sheep fancier called Bruce and am not against a traitor called Ross coming back to the good :)

However, I am against the devaluing of F1 that will see the heart and soul ripped out of the sport for the vanity of a self serving sadist who's dictating policy to suit his own despotic agenda.

Some of the teams coming into F1 will be a joke and you will find the standard of drivers a liability; languishing around at the back tripping over the race leaders.

SGWilko
22nd May 2009, 14:05

Tsk, oh for crying out load, turn it in will you?

Sorry, I just love to complain. I'm a Brit, and we Brits love two things;

Complaining

and

Queueing. :laugh:

Donney
22nd May 2009, 14:20
I wish them the best.

To all the people who need big names they should remember Ferrari was just the surname of a mediocre Alfa Romeo driver once....

Garry Walker
22nd May 2009, 14:30
Very excited about this.....NOT

ioan
22nd May 2009, 16:14
I wonder how big their budget is? 10 millions?!
Will they have to give up on GP2 or F3 or wherever they were racing before?

K-Pu
22nd May 2009, 18:55
Maybe the new teams to enter F1 should be the NASA, the KGB... People with real power, you know, and not those wimps, eh?

jens
22nd May 2009, 19:42
Interesting that here is so much negativism about Campos, while many people have expressed their negativism about car manufacturers. :p : I have read endless comments like how BMW, Toyota and Renault should quit to make room for "proper racing teams with spirit". :D The reality, actually, is that although manufacturers' participation may not be surefire or everlasting, the participation of such privateers is even more uncertain and they can run out of money (or not gather it together in first place) at any time.

It seems besides FIA/FOTA there is a rift among F1 fans too, when we talk about debates, what is better - "bland" manufacturers or "spirited" privateers? That's one reason why I'd like to see a breakaway series - one series with manufacturers, other (F1) with all those rumoured privateers. Then we can get a straight comparison, what is preferred and what works better.

So all in all, unlike most others here I'm not negative about Campos. ;) I hope they will join (but I'll believe it, when I see it) and they'll race in that totally new F1 powered by Cosworth, separate from FOTA's series or whatever.

UltimateDanGTR
22nd May 2009, 20:23
They'll probably be in F1 when BMW, renault, ferrari etc are in GP1. I can see a split coming, I really can.

Hondo
22nd May 2009, 22:28
Interesting that here is so much negativism about Campos, while many people have expressed their negativism about car manufacturers. :p : I have read endless comments like how BMW, Toyota and Renault should quit to make room for "proper racing teams with spirit". :D The reality, actually, is that although manufacturers' participation may not be surefire or everlasting, the participation of such privateers is even more uncertain and they can run out of money (or not gather it together in first place) at any time.

It seems besides FIA/FOTA there is a rift among F1 fans too, when we talk about debates, what is better - "bland" manufacturers or "spirited" privateers? That's one reason why I'd like to see a breakaway series - one series with manufacturers, other (F1) with all those rumoured privateers. Then we can get a straight comparison, what is preferred and what works better.

So all in all, unlike most others here I'm not negative about Campos. ;) I hope they will join (but I'll believe it, when I see it) and they'll race in that totally new F1 powered by Cosworth, separate from FOTA's series or whatever.

I Think F1 fans are united in that none of us wants to see F1 become another spec series, with the majority of the teams running some combination of the same thing. F1 is about being different from each other.

DexDexter
22nd May 2009, 22:33

I don't think anybody is againts privateers if they are serious class-acts with proper budget, facilities and drivers. What some people, me included, fear is that the budget cap brings in teams that really are not up to a level needed in F1. There are so many past cases of bad privateer teams that people are sceptical. On the other hand, car manufacturers are good for F1 but in my mind they should not be allowed to buy a whole team. That would make it easier for the teams to survive if a board of a company suddenly says lets quit F1.

Koz
23rd May 2009, 01:57
Let's all wish Ferrari and the gang good luck. With so many new interests in F1, we don't need those rich boys and the rest of the rich buddies.

Let's get in some teams with good spirit, with with a lack of funds.

Yeah, but what happens when their already limited funds drop even further?

Can these teams run 40million year in and year out?

Welcome second rate bullsh*t.

Who knows maybe mid-season when the fuel prices go up they might not afford fuel! Dear god, they might have to run at 8,000rpm to make sure they don't run out of fuel!!!

__________________________________________________ ______________

Sorry.

Ok, it's nice to have new teams in and everything, but if it means losing the likes of Ferrari, what on earth could it possibly be worth it?

If they were the only teams moaning, sure but it's everyone except people who couldn't afford to play with the big boys before.

This entry will be withdrawn soon enough, when all the players put down their cards the budget cap will still be way too for "lesser" teams to participate.

Do these teams with budgets that are so limited really think Mister Max will stay to his tune?
Or is this all really a publicity stunt?

Or would they still be able to compete if the budget cap is closer to 100m?

It's really a sad joke on such teams, what happens to them when Mister Max craps on them?

Will they just linger at the back of the grid getting lapped SEVERAL times by "better" teams?

This is just sad.

Placid
23rd May 2009, 11:32
That entry has killed the chances for a 2nd US F1 team.

VkmSpouge
23rd May 2009, 15:38
Good luck to Campos in their application to join F1. I really hope we can have a full 13 team grid for 2010.

Apparently Team US F1 has also lodge it's entry too: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75525

Hawkmoon
24th May 2009, 01:01
It would be great to see Campos, USF1 and whoever else joining the grid in addition to Ferrari, Renault etc. But does anyone really wan't to see these teams as replacements for Ferrari, Renault, etc?

Really people, Ferrari or Campos? Take your pick because it's unlikely you can have both.