PDA

View Full Version : I'm not down wid da kids .....

Hazell B
21st May 2009, 14:57
They keep inventing new words I don't hear about for months and months :mark:

Only last night I discovered sexting is already in the OED :eek:

What's new on the vocab block, dudes?

Dave B
21st May 2009, 15:30
I, on the other hand, am completely down with the kids. Why, only the other day, I purchased the Fleet Foxes new long-player. Innit?

Donney
21st May 2009, 15:56
I am definitely not down with da kids, so when in doubt (instead of flat out):

http://www.urbandictionary.com

Wade91
21st May 2009, 16:09
was up ppl? :D i just luv how da kids like us are creating the best new words in tha english language :D , and its funny how u ppl have no idea wat in da world we are sayin' have that time :rotflmao:

Brown, Jon Brow
21st May 2009, 18:31
Kids already see me like an embarrassing father/uncle who thinks he's still hip, trendy and groovy :(

BDunnell
21st May 2009, 18:49
They keep inventing new words I don't hear about for months and months :mark:

Only last night I discovered sexting is already in the OED :eek:

Yes, I read about this. Is it really in common usage? Do people honestly say it to one another? 'What are you up to?' 'Oh, just a bit of sexting'. Not pleasant.

Oh, and regarding the thread title, shouldn't it really say 'kidz'?

steve_spackman
21st May 2009, 19:45
Yes, I read about this. Is it really in common usage? Do people honestly say it to one another? 'What are you up to?' 'Oh, just a bit of sexting'. Not pleasant.

Oh, and regarding the thread title, shouldn't it really say 'kidz'?

the word chav comes to mind

http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/

http://www.boredandlazy.co.uk/quiz.php?q=chav

21st May 2009, 19:52
Cowabunga

GridGirl
21st May 2009, 20:33
Surely it should be cowabunga dude?

I know a guy who still ends sentences with the word 'safe'. Talk about being stuck in the nineties. :s

BDunnell
21st May 2009, 20:39
Surely it should be cowabunga dude?

I know a guy who still ends sentences with the word 'safe'. Talk about being stuck in the nineties. :s

That is just totally radical. Or, as I believe some might say, 'rad'.

22nd May 2009, 13:27
Word Up

Hazell B
26th May 2009, 19:07
'What are you up to?' 'Oh, just a bit of sexting'.

No, it's hardly the sort of thing you chat about on the bus. More like you'd get a sext and just carry them on (among the two of you, not the whole phone's list of course!) :p :

Not pleasant.

You're sooooooo not doing it right ;)

I saw respect scrawled on something the other day, but spelled 'respekt'.
Think I'll forget getting down with the illiterate chavs :mark:

BDunnell
26th May 2009, 20:23
You're sooooooo not doing it right ;)

You're right — I spell everything in them correctly.

Kneeslider
26th May 2009, 21:18
I applaud the stance of Motorsportforums whose policy has always been to have proper English, or not at all, and can remember the mods in the past telling people off for text speak. But for how much longer in the face of the growing number of people who wish to mince up the language?

My personal bete noir of the moment is "My bad! Yuk!

I have decided to introduce new terms into the English lexicon. I am starting with this:-

He's a man who likes to go down the biscuit isle.

It sounds like a euphamism, but I can't decide what for? Suggestions?

donKey jote
26th May 2009, 21:27
for a euphemism (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=euphamism) ? :p :

BDunnell
26th May 2009, 21:40
I applaud the stance of Motorsportforums whose policy has always been to have proper English, or not at all, and can remember the mods in the past telling people off for text speak. But for how much longer in the face of the growing number of people who wish to mince up the language?

My personal bete noir of the moment is "My bad! Yuk!

I don't like that either. Other pet hates of mine are "Back in the day..." and "That'll learn them".

Rollo
27th May 2009, 00:40
Meseems that sith the wanion of so many words of this English language whereon is built are falling into disrepair, that efforts forthwith aught be made to rede them to puissant glory.

Or we be talking down and dirty wit da 411 bro' like.

Kneeslider
27th May 2009, 12:23
for a euphemism (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=euphamism) ? :p :

Hmm, Hi Donks, good point, well made.

I like to sprinkle my daily intercourse with a mixture of slang and erudition, I think that it can brighten your day. Trouble is that everyone has a different interpretation of what is nice to hear and what is not.

One of my other personal no nos is the phrase newsreaders and field reporters use. They ask what is happening 'on the ground'. Well, what does that mean exactly?

555-04Q2
27th May 2009, 12:26
I tried to follow the Ali G show when it showed on telly, but I, like most of the people he was interviewing, were stuffed trying to understand what he was saying!

ShiftingGears
27th May 2009, 12:28
He's a man who likes to go down the biscuit isle.

I like it.

Kneeslider
27th May 2009, 14:11
I like it.

Yup, way past the pink wafer assortments! The conversation which started all this was, as you might expect, in a pub, very late...