PDA

View Full Version : How Good Is Your History?

steve_spackman
19th May 2009, 17:47
The rules are the same as the 'how good is your geography?'

I will kick it off by posting this question

What is meant by the Manifest Destiny?

Brown, Jon Brow
19th May 2009, 17:54
Is it something to do with the exploration North America? :erm:

Tazio
19th May 2009, 17:54
It's a thinly veiled attempt to promote more anti-American sentiment on this forum! :arrows:
What do I win! :mark:

steve_spackman
19th May 2009, 18:00
It's a thinly veiled attempt to promote more anti-American sentiment on this forum! :arrows:
What do I win! :mark:

Not at all..i simply came across this in one of my books.

Tazio
19th May 2009, 18:05
Not at all..i simply came across this in one of my books
;)

chuck34
19th May 2009, 18:17
Manifest Destiny was used in the 1800's to convey the thought that the US's Destiny was Manifest (by God I suppose) to encompass the stretch from Sea to Shining Sea.

What do I win?

Hondo
19th May 2009, 18:40
One neat thing about history is that every now and then new information comes to light that can change both the perception of why and how an event happened and even if happened or didn't happen.

I'm not talking about revisionist history for the fun of it, I'm talking about facts that come to light due to newly discovered texts and forensic evidence. Just look at the number of beasts and fishes that turn up from time to time after having thought to be extinct.

steve_spackman
19th May 2009, 18:42
Manifest Destiny was used in the 1800's to convey the thought that the US's Destiny was Manifest (by God I suppose) to encompass the stretch from Sea to Shining Sea.

What do I win?

Well its your turn to post a history related question...

chuck34
19th May 2009, 19:08
Off the top of my head ... sort of in the same time frame ... too easy ... but here goes.

Who is "Old Hickory"

Hondo
19th May 2009, 19:09
Andrew Jackson.

Hondo
19th May 2009, 19:10
Also a great Bar b Que joint on Telephone Road in Houston.

chuck34
19th May 2009, 19:10
Andrew Jackson.

Told you it was too easy.

Your turn.

Hondo
19th May 2009, 19:17
What did Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation do?

Tazio
19th May 2009, 19:24
declared all slaves free in the U.S. Specifically aimed at the confederacy as slavery was already abolised in the north!

chuck34
19th May 2009, 19:30
declared all slaves free in the U.S. Specifically aimed at the confederacy as slavery was already abolised in the north!

Nothing really. It said that all slaves in Confederate Terr. that the Union had taken over were free. And at that time the Union had not captured much. But that the "Border States" could still have slaves.

However, it did set the groundwork for the 13th Amendment.

Tazio
19th May 2009, 19:41
Nothing really. It said that all slaves in Confederate Terr. that the Union had taken over were free. And at that time the Union had not captured much. But that the "Border States" could still have slaves.

In general terms I am correct!

The Emancipation Proclamation consists of two executive orders issued by United States President Abraham Lincoln during the American Civil War. The first one, issued September 22, 1862, declared the freedom of all slaves in any state of the Confederate States of America that did not return to Union control by January 1, 1863.

Hondo
19th May 2009, 19:44
It freed the slaves in states not under Union control. It exempted New Orleans, Tennessee, and the 40 something counties that would later become W. Virginia, along with the border states. The slaves in the northern (Union) states remained slaves.

For all practical purposes, it freed the slaves only in the areas not under Union control. It did lead to increased numbers of slaves running away and making a break for the north.

Very good there Chuck. Tazio, you get an Honorable Mention, the slaves in the north were not already freed. The war wasn't about slavery as the main issue.

chuck34
19th May 2009, 19:50
In general terms I am correct!

The Emancipation Proclamation consists of two executive orders issued by United States President Abraham Lincoln during the American Civil War. The first one, issued September 22, 1862, declared the freedom of all slaves in any state of the Confederate States of America that did not return to Union control by January 1, 1863.

You're forgetting about the Border States (States that stayed in the Union but were slave).

But go ahead and ask a question. I've already done one, and can't think of anything good right now.

Tazio
19th May 2009, 19:51
The war wasn't about slavery as the main issue.No. The Emancipation Proclamation was! ;)

Tazio
19th May 2009, 20:32
You're forgetting about the Border States (States that stayed in the Union but were slave).

But go ahead and ask a question. I've already done one, and can't think of anything good right now.Thanks Chuck!
I've got one that is bound to stir the pot a little. :p

What was the decisive battle of The American Revolutionary War?

Give me within 5% the percentage of French to American troops that participated, excluding the 29 French Warships preventing a British
escape by sea!

chuck34
19th May 2009, 20:37
Yorktown? But it's probably another trick. I have no idea of troop numbers.

Tazio
19th May 2009, 20:42
Correct on the first part!
No tricks here. It's well documented, and is considered one of the greatest combined multinational maneuvers in American Military History!

edv
19th May 2009, 21:34
This thread should be renamed- How Good is Your American History...

chuck34
20th May 2009, 00:59
This thread should be renamed- How Good is Your American History...

Ok who was the British General at Yorktown? :-)

Seriously, if you want a non-American question, ask one.

steve_spackman
20th May 2009, 01:06
Ok who was the British General at Yorktown? :-)

Seriously, if you want a non-American question, ask one.

Lord Cornwallis

chuck34
20th May 2009, 01:22
Lord Cornwallis

Good, now ask something non-American so that our Euro friends can play too. Especially as it's getting on to night here, and not there.

Tazio
20th May 2009, 01:37
This is pathetic!
The Brits know but they won't say because it's one thing to get whipped by Continentals, but you throw the French into the mix and it's unbearable!

The Americans don't know because they were taught that Franco-American Military relations began in 1917 due to all of our history books being written by a guy with selective amnesia! The answer is 48%

Strength
American
8,000 regulars
3,100 Militia[1]
French
10,800 regulars
29 war ships[1]

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0IAU/is_4_8/ai_106731686/?tag=content;col1
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+siege+of+Yorktown:+joint+and+multinational+ope rations+in+the...-a0106731686
The Battle of Yorktown illustrates the importance and effectiveness of unity of command. It would have been easy for Rochambeau to control and coordinate the operational movement of his forces. However, he chose to place himself completely under the command of General Washington. When the British General O'Hara, out of shame, attempted to surrender to Rochambeau after Yorktown, he simply directed him to Washington, reflecting professionalism and the respect essential for unity of command.

General Knox wrote after the siege, "This important affair has been affected by the most harmonious concurrence of circumstances that could possibly have happened: a fleet and troops from the West Indies, under the orders of one of the best men in the world; an army of American and French troops marching from the North River--500 miles--and the fleet of Count de Barras, all joining so exactly in point of time as to render what has happened almost certain." (22)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Yorktown
At 2:00 pm the allied army entered the British positions, with the French on the left and the Americans on the right.
[54] The British and Hessian troops marched between them, while according to legend the British drummers and fifersplayed to the tune of "The World Turn'd Upside Down". The British soldiers had been issued with new uniforms hours before the surrender and until prevented by General O'Hara some threw down their muskets with the apparent intention of smashing them. Others wept or appeared to be drunk.[55] 8,000 troops, 214 artillery pieces, thousands of muskets, 24 transport ships, wagons and horses were captured.[56]
Cornwallis refused to meet formally with Washington, and also refused to come to the ceremony of surrender, claiming illness.[56] Instead, Brigadier General Charles O'Hara presented the sword of surrender to Rochambeau. Rochambeau shook his head and pointed to Washington.[57] O'Hara offered it to Washington, but he refused to accept it, and motioned to his second in command, Benjamin Lincoln, who had been humiliated by the British at Charleston, to accept it.[56] The British soldiers marched out and laid down their arms in between the French and American armies, while many civilians watched.[58] At this time, the troops on the other side of the river in Gloucester also surrendered.[59]

markabilly
20th May 2009, 03:13

this answer is correct--it was a very publicized action by Lincoln without any legal effect whatsoever

as in "zero"

In the absence of the 13th amendment, based on prior suprreme court rulings, it meant slaves were still property belonging to those who had the "title".

lincoln got credit for freeing slaves as a result of the proclamation(s), but it actually freed no one legally nor actually, since the south still used their law enforcement powers to keep slaves being slaves............

those running with or "freed" by the union army were just "escaped" and not "free"

steve_spackman
20th May 2009, 03:23
When was the Non Aligned Movement formed and what was its purpose?

Storm
20th May 2009, 03:55
1954 ? Tito, Nehru, Sadat (basically to keep away from both the Nato or the Soviet Bloc)
good idea but ended badly being trapped in a no-man's land benefit-wise

anthonyvop
20th May 2009, 19:04
When was the Non Aligned Movement formed and what was its purpose?
April 1955

It's purpose was suppose to be " to ensure "the national independence, sovereignty, territorial integrity and security of non-aligned countries" in their "struggle against imperialism, colonialism, neo-colonialism, racism, and all forms of foreign aggression, occupation, domination, interference or hegemony as well as against great power and bloc politics"

in reality it's purpose was to blame the U.S. for all their problems.

steve_spackman
20th May 2009, 20:56
April 1955

It's purpose was suppose to be " to ensure "the national independence, sovereignty, territorial integrity and security of non-aligned countries" in their "struggle against imperialism, colonialism, neo-colonialism, racism, and all forms of foreign aggression, occupation, domination, interference or hegemony as well as against great power and bloc politics"

Correct, but not too sure it was to blame the US for all their problems...

steve_spackman
20th May 2009, 21:00
April 1955

Correct, but not too sure it was to blame the US for all their problems..

Your turn

anthonyvop
20th May 2009, 21:40
What is the Oldest University in the western hemisphere?

donKey jote
20th May 2009, 22:02
Oxford and Salamanca were both founded around 1200 and are both on the right side of the Greenwich Meridian... not sure which one was officially founded first though :)

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Camelopard
20th May 2009, 22:14
Correct, but not too sure it was to blame the US for all their problems..

Your turn

can we use boogle to find answers for this thread?

steve_spackman
20th May 2009, 22:25

sure why not

donKey jote
20th May 2009, 22:27
big booble is better

anthonyvop
21st May 2009, 00:36
Come on!

At least use google.

markabilly
21st May 2009, 03:18
nO

unless you are a donkey cheater ass

anthonyvop
21st May 2009, 04:06

Here is a hint....It isn't in the U.S.

donKey jote
21st May 2009, 12:06
duh :laugh: :laugh:
:dozey:
:p :

donKey jote
21st May 2009, 12:20
Come on!

At least use google.

I think I see what you're getting at.... maybe you should use google too :p :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Hemisphere
:laugh:

Correct question might have been "oldest Uni in the Americas" :)

Brown, Jon Brow
21st May 2009, 13:10
I think I see what you're getting at.... maybe you should use google too :p :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Hemisphere
:laugh:

Correct question might have been "oldest Uni in the Americas" :)

Oxford is technically in the Western Hemisphere ;)

anthonyvop
21st May 2009, 15:13
Oxford is technically in the Western Hemisphere ;)
Yea,

But technically is Oxford a university?

OK Oldest University in the New World/Americas?

Brown, Jon Brow
21st May 2009, 18:44
Yea,

But technically is Oxford a university?

OK Oldest University in the New World/Americas?

I think somewhere in the US would be too obvious. So perhaps somewhere in South America related to the Portuguese/Spanish?

donKey jote
21st May 2009, 18:52
I think somewhere in the US would be too obvious. So perhaps somewhere in South America related to the Portuguese/Spanish?

Somewhere in the US ? :laugh: :laugh:
Latinamerica it will be.

(Oxford is the oldest in the "technically" Western Hemisphere while Salamanca is the second oldest, or viceversa :p :)

Brown, Jon Brow
21st May 2009, 19:11
Somewhere in the US ? :laugh:
Latinamerica it will be.

(Oxford is the oldest in the "technically" Western Hemisphere while Salamanca is the second oldest, or viceversa :p :)

:dozey: :p

donKey jote
21st May 2009, 19:22
:dozey: :p

tis true... been to both but can't remember which one was first :p :dozey:

EuroTroll
21st May 2009, 20:23
tis true... been to both but can't remember which one was first :p :dozey:

Obviously Oxford came first! 'Tis a fact known by all, despite the propaganda done during the Spanish Inquisition, which noone expected.

As for the answer for the Troll's initially inappropriately formed question, it has to be the Tenochtitlan University of Theology and Calendars, hasn't it. Founded in 1398.

BDunnell
21st May 2009, 20:27
As for the answer for the Troll's initially inappropriately formed question, it has to be the Tenochtitlan University of Theology and Calendars, hasn't it. Founded in 1398.

And wasn't it nice that the sole survivor of that year's inaugural class was selected to be the Republican candidate in the last Presidential election?

anthonyvop
21st May 2009, 21:04
I said University. Not some invention of overly romantic imagination.

It is still open today.

BDunnell
21st May 2009, 21:10
I bet the required answer is the 'University of Life'.

donKey jote
21st May 2009, 21:13
Obviously Oxford came first! 'Tis a fact known by all, despite the propaganda done during the Spanish Inquisition, which noone expected.
yes well give or take 50 years and with a lax definition of what a university actually is (in the case of Oxford :p : )... everything is anything but obvious :)

Lousada
21st May 2009, 22:16
I googled (or wikied) this and it says Bologna is the oldest university followed by Paris, Oxford, Cambridge and Salamanca :o
Of course I now also know the answer to the question but as I cheated I won't tell.

Camelopard
22nd May 2009, 03:42

I asked this question because it is obvious that vop has quoted from wiki or some such in his answer about the non-aligned movement, therefore his answer should be declared null and void, his question deleted and someone else ask a question.

April 1955

EuroTroll
22nd May 2009, 05:40
I said University. Not some invention of overly romantic imagination.

Invention of romantic imagination, eh? Tell that to Martin Luther!

If it weren't for Luther's correspondance with Huitzilopochtli, Professor of Monotheism at Tenochtitlan, and the encouragement he got from him, we might have never had the Reformation!

Why do you think Cortés was initially so cordially welcomed by the Aztecs? Because he and his gang of thugs were thought to be exchange students from the University of Valladolid! The student exchange program having been agreed on in 1502, during Columbus's 4th voyage.

But ok, if you want one that's still open today, I guess it'll have to be the Machu Picchu Polytechnic, now the University of Lima.

donKey jote
22nd May 2009, 16:52
vop obviously only wants what his wikipage tells him :p :

steve_spackman
22nd May 2009, 19:04
next....

anthonyvop
22nd May 2009, 21:26
Jeez.

A straightforward question and you guys have to get all Euroweenie on me.

Camelopard
23rd May 2009, 10:08
Jeez.

A straightforward question and you guys have to get all Euroweenie on me.

any clues for the clueless? :)

anthonyvop
23rd May 2009, 14:55
any clues for the clueless? :)
In the Caribbean.

Camelopard
23rd May 2009, 15:08
Cuba would be too obvious an answer! :)

Camelopard
23rd May 2009, 15:46
Going back to the question, what constitutes the Western Hemishere? If it is anything west of 0 degrees then I'd say that Morocco would have the oldest uni.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Al-Karaouine

donKey jote
23rd May 2009, 15:59
Vop has already "clarified" the question: Western Hemisphere means "the Americas" :)

Camelopard
23rd May 2009, 16:13
Vop has already "clarified" the question: Western Hemisphere means "the Americas" :)

Yes I know, I was just trying to sh*t stir.......... :)

donKey jote
23rd May 2009, 16:50
What he hasn't clarified yet, is what he means by "University"...
I'm not sure Morrocco would fit in his "world view" anyway ;) :p :

EuroTroll
23rd May 2009, 17:32
What he hasn't clarified yet, is what he means by "University"...

Yes, that is a "pickle", isn't it... I've also erred on the side of foolery, in my mock histories, I have to confess. :D A Polytechnic is not a University, is it. (So Machu Picchu is out, after all. :p : ) At least not according to the classical definition.

Which is, as far as I know - An institute of higher education offering degrees in (at least) these four subjects: Arts, Medicine, Law, Theology.

Is that what you have in mind, Tony VithOutPapers? :p :

donKey jote
23rd May 2009, 18:12
studiorse, I think the VOP in Big Tony C. stands for Very Opinionated Person :p :

Camelopard
24th May 2009, 04:30
OK I boogled it, therefore I win.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universidad_de_Santo_Domingo

My question is:

What famous Russian institution is celebrating its centenary this month?

edv
24th May 2009, 04:35
Ummm I would guess the KGB?

Camelopard
24th May 2009, 04:50
Ummm I would guess the KGB?

they were formed in 1917.

Camelopard
24th May 2009, 04:51
studiorse, I think the VOP in Big Tony C. stands for Very Opinionated Person :p :

I'd change the opinionated for obnoxious, then you may be close. :)

anthonyvop
24th May 2009, 23:08
OK I boogled it, therefore I win.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universidad_de_Santo_Domingo

My question is:

What famous Russian institution is celebrating its centenary this month?
Russian Ballet

johnpeter
25th May 2009, 04:47
I will kick it off by posting this question..

Free Plastics Surgery (http://www.freebeautymakeover.com)
monster milk (http://www.2hugenutrition.com/home.cfm)

Camelopard
25th May 2009, 05:49
Russian Ballet

The Ballets Russes was a ballet company established in 1909 by the Russian impresario Serge Diaghilev.

schmenke
25th May 2009, 18:44
Yes, that is a "pickle", isn't it... I've also erred on the side of foolery, in my mock histories, I have to confess. :D A Polytechnic is not a University, is it. (So Machu Picchu is out, after all. :p : ) At least not according to the classical definition.

Which is, as far as I know - An institute of higher education offering degrees in (at least) these four subjects: Arts, Medicine, Law, Theology...

Around here a university is an institution where the minimum standards for curricula are regulated by the federal government.

A college sets their own standards.

By federal legislate, the following four professions require a university degree:
Law
Medicine
Engineering
Teaching

Camelopard
26th May 2009, 09:52
So we start over? No boogling answers, questions that most of the forum members could answer regardless of where they live?

wotcha reckon?

Easy Drifter
27th May 2009, 00:16
OK here is an easy one I think.
Who is/was David Stirling.

edv
27th May 2009, 01:48
Ummm I'll bite -- How about the inventor of the Sterling Engine?

Camelopard
27th May 2009, 02:07
no idea!

Easy Drifter
27th May 2009, 06:12
Sorry EDV.
I am surprised no one has got this one so far.
He is/was not Cdn.

Camelopard
27th May 2009, 06:37
Who is/was David Stirling.

I know who David Irving is! Close enough?

chuck34
28th May 2009, 00:22
Ok so either no one cares, or no one knows. Hopefully it's the first, and not the second option. If it is the second, the God help us all.

I've already answered a question, so here's a hint. Think acronymn.

Camelopard
28th May 2009, 00:46
Ok so either no one cares, or no one knows. Hopefully it's the first, and not the second option. If it is the second, the God help us all.

I've already answered a question, so here's a hint. Think acronymn.

Still no idea, why "God help us all" if I don't know?

Easy Drifter
28th May 2009, 02:15
Does this help:
Colonel Sir David Stirling, Dec'd 1994.
Founder of the ---

I will give the answer tomorrow if those hints do not help.

Camelopard
28th May 2009, 02:41
Colonel, military, still no idea. Not one of the areas of history that I'm particulary interested in.

Does '---' mean a 3 letter word or as chuck hinted an acronym with 3 words?

Died 1994, probably lived to be average age of 75? probably born in late 19teens, therefore second WW.

'Sir' probably a pom, but not necessarily, could be Australian, NZ or a few others. My father would know, but he's dead so I can't ask him.

SOE?

Easy Drifter
28th May 2009, 02:56
Not SOE but the S is correct. Full name is 3 words but the acronym is acceptable.
One more hint 'Who Dares, Wins'
The organization is still very active.

Tazio
28th May 2009, 03:08
Special Air Service. AKA SAS

Camelopard
28th May 2009, 03:17
Special Air Service. AKA SAS

Ah poos, I go away for a few minutes and someone else comes up with the answer......... :) :)

Tazio
28th May 2009, 03:40
Who were the "Marocchinate"?
Name the engagement that preceded the execution of this atrocity!

Easy Drifter
28th May 2009, 04:10
Yes Tazio was correct. Sir David Stirling founded the SAS in the desert during WW2. He was not knighted until the year of his death.
They are active today in Afghanistan, probably in Iraq and likely in Pakistan.
They operate in secret and mostly undetected. Probably the most effective of any of the Special Forces.
Very few recruits make it through training to join the regiment. All are already regular army before they try for the SAS.

chuck34
28th May 2009, 13:18
Still no idea, why "God help us all" if I don't know?

Sorry that may have been a bit of hyperbole. I was just talking to someone else (in real life) about how bad our education system is, and that sort of bled over to that statement. Sorry.

anthonyvop
28th May 2009, 18:14

never heard of it so i looked it up.......Almost sorry I did.

Camelopard
29th May 2009, 09:34

I'm going to need some clues! (please!)

Tazio
29th May 2009, 14:04
In 1960 Sophia Loren won the Best Actress Academy Award for her role in a movie made on this subject!
It was the first Major Academy Award given to a non English speaking film!

555-04Q2
29th May 2009, 14:22

I watched a documentary on this subject so it aint fair for me to answer. All I will say is it was one of the most dispicable acts of the 20th century.

anthonyvop
29th May 2009, 19:50
I watched a documentary on this subject so it aint fair for me to answer. All I will say is it was one of the most dispicable acts of the 20th century.
It was bad but "one of the most dispicable acts of the 20th century."
Really?
Worse than Soviet purges that led to over 30 million killed?
Worse than the Nazi's genocide?
Worse than the Chinese's murder of 40 million?
Worse than the Killing Fields of Cambodia?
Worse that the government created famine of Ethiopia?
Worse than the Rape of Nanking?
Worse than the Japanese treatment of prisoners in WW2?
Worse than the Balkans?
Worse than Rhuanda?
Worse than Amrmenia?

It was a terrible incident in history. Should never had happened. But pales in comparison to other incidents.

Tazio
29th May 2009, 20:29
Hey guys, this was not meant to be a controversial question! As an Italian-American it has no influence on my view of Moroccans.
SSS' you said you saw a documentary. That doesn't disqualify you from answering!
Only Google, Wiki, and the like are out of bounds.

Lousada
2nd June 2009, 19:40
Moroccans going on a rampage after the liberation of Monte Cassino?? What do you mean with engagement?

555-04Q2
3rd June 2009, 06:24
It was bad but "one of the most dispicable acts of the 20th century."
Really?
Worse than Soviet purges that led to over 30 million killed?
Worse than the Nazi's genocide?
Worse than the Chinese's murder of 40 million?
Worse than the Killing Fields of Cambodia?
Worse that the government created famine of Ethiopia?
Worse than the Rape of Nanking?
Worse than the Japanese treatment of prisoners in WW2?
Worse than the Balkans?
Worse than Rhuanda?
Worse than Amrmenia?

It was a terrible incident in history. Should never had happened. But pales in comparison to other incidents.

FFS, youre a dumbass. I never said it was worse than the other ones you have now mentioned, or that it was the worst act or worse than other acts, only that it was a dispicable act.

Back to the point of this thread...

anthonyvop
3rd June 2009, 21:19
FFS, youre a dumbass. I never said it was worse than the other ones you have now mentioned, or that it was the worst act or worse than other acts, only that it was a dispicable act.

Back to the point of this thread...
You stated it was one of the most despicable acts of the 20th century.

While terrible it isn't even in the top 50.

Breeze
4th June 2009, 21:05
You stated it was one of the most despicable acts of the 20th century.

While terrible it isn't even in the top 50.

Perhaps not on scale with those other atrocities, but by degree easily rates, IMHO.

Lousada
4th June 2009, 22:17
I don't think you can "score" atrocities.
Please, someone answer the question or pose a new one.

Tazio
5th June 2009, 23:45
Moroccans going on a rampage after the liberation of Monte Cassino?? What do you mean with engagement?you are correct! By engagement I meant The Battle of Monte Cassino. As bad as they behaved afterward, this group was brilliant in battle.

On May 14 Moroccan Goumiers, travelling through the mountains parallel to the Liri valley, ground which was undefended because it was not thought possible to traverse such terrain, outflanked the German defense materially assisting XIII Corps in the valley.

The day following the battle, the Goumiers, French Moroccan colonial troops attached to the French Expeditionary Forces, rampaged through the surrounding hills, plundering the countryside. Several supposed horrific crimes against the Italian peasants were committed, such as rape, murder and torture. [1] Such crimes became known in Italy by the adjective Marocchinate meaning to be "act committed by Moroccans".

Your question Lou! :)

Lousada
6th June 2009, 17:20
Okay, what do Edward V (of England) and Louis VIII (of France) have in common??

anthonyvop
6th June 2009, 19:30
Okay, what do Edward V (of England) and Louis VIII (of France) have in common??
They were both Kings.

Next question.

4mula1
6th June 2009, 22:03
before funding ANY charity. please visit. MRMCMED.ORG (learn how charities misspend research dollars) and PCRM.ORG, read what the march of dimes spends 30 million dollars a year on. ps, animal research has NEVER been validated. "if curing mouse cancers were enough. we would have cured cancer IN THE 60S" dr. donald morton, john wayne cancer institute. "work on prevention of polio was LONG DELAYED by an erroneous conception of the nature of the human disease based on MISLEADING experimental models of the disease in monkeys" albert sabin, m.d., during a 1984 house subcommittee.

Tazio
7th June 2009, 09:24
They were both Kings.

Next question.
:rotflmao:

Caroline
7th June 2009, 09:38
Edward V - wasn't he just a boy when he became monarch, declared illegitimate by his rivals and thrown in the tower, only for his bones to be discovered much later? Who knows what actually happened to him? Was Louis VIII's legitimacy questioned too?

Am guessing wildly here?

Tazio
7th June 2009, 11:51
Louie was a direct descendant of Edward!
A grandson, or great-grandson I think! :confused:

Lousada
7th June 2009, 12:25
They were both Kings.

Next question.

Wrong :imu:

Lousada
7th June 2009, 12:30
Edward V - wasn't he just a boy when he became monarch, declared illegitimate by his rivals and thrown in the tower, only for his bones to be discovered much later? Who knows what actually happened to him? Was Louis VIII's legitimacy questioned too?

Am guessing wildly here?

You are very much on the right track.
Here is a hint: Louis VIII was involved in the first barons' war 1215-17.

edv
7th June 2009, 18:31
Edward V - wasn't he just a boy when he became monarch?..
Actually, I was well into my teens LOL

Camelopard
11th June 2009, 07:03
more clues?

Tazio
11th June 2009, 07:22
They both participated in the Crusades but I need more data :mad:

Lousada
11th June 2009, 13:59
They both participated in the Crusades but I need more data :mad:

No they didn't. Edward V is the child king as already mentioned. Louis VIII assisted some rebel English baron's in the civil war of 1215-17. He conquered most of England. Here is were the common aspect is.
Legitimacy questioned is, as I said, very much on the right track. I'm looking for a more concrete answer. Hint: Why was their legitimacy questioned?

Mark in Oshawa
11th June 2009, 20:02
Both are "b a s t a r d s" ? That is....the product of a mistress who produced the only heir?

edv
11th June 2009, 22:23
That would've been my guess, too.

Lousada
12th June 2009, 11:41
Nope.

Tazio
12th June 2009, 16:26
Nope.
ooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh angry!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :)

Lousada
17th June 2009, 18:05
This is not going anywhere, so here is the answer. Both of them were once proclaimed king of England, and were the effective rulers, yet they were never actually crowned. So technically they were never actual kings.

Camelopard
4th August 2009, 11:55
It's been about 6 weeks since this topic moved so I beg the indulgence of all posters to ask a question.

The man on the moon walk was been in the news lately, celebrating 40 years of the occurence of the uttering of those famous words, "one small step..... and so on', anyway my question if I am allowed is:

Where were the pictures and audio received from the moon (providing of course it wasn't a stunt performed in the desert of New Mexico), ie what tracking station provided the link to Houston? Closest city will probably be accepted..........

chuck34
4th August 2009, 12:35
It's been about 6 weeks since this topic moved so I beg the indulgence of all posters to ask a question.

The man on the moon walk was been in the news lately, celebrating 40 years of the occurence of the uttering of those famous words, "one small step..... and so on', anyway my question if I am allowed is:

Where were the pictures and audio received from the moon (providing of course it wasn't a stunt performed in the desert of New Mexico), ie what tracking station provided the link to Houston? Closest city will probably be accepted..........

Without thinking about it too hard. I think it was in the Pacific. The Phillipenes?

jim mcglinchey
4th August 2009, 13:37
I think that this refers to the Sam Neil movie The Dish....am I getting warm?

Mark in Oshawa
4th August 2009, 13:39
It was the tracking station in Australia in Victoria

chuck34
4th August 2009, 14:45
I just remembered, Scout's honor I didn't go and look it up.

It was in Guam.

I remember reading a story on the guy that was like 9 or 10 then, who's father worked at the tracking station. There was some sort of dish that was stuck, bad bearing. In order to rebuild the bearing it would have been like a 10 hour job. No good, landing over. But this kid could reach inside and grease the thing up. That was good enough to get teh dish working again. So on went the landing.

At least I think that's right.

Camelopard
5th August 2009, 00:03
The Pacific yes, but not The Philippines.

Rollo
5th August 2009, 00:15
I think that this refers to the Sam Neil movie The Dish....am I getting warm?

Very warm.

The signals from the moon landing as they landed were picked up by Goldstone Deep Space station in the Mojave Desert, a better feed was picked up at Honeysuckle Creek, and then the worldwide broadcast was taken from Parkes radio telescope.

The Dish and Moonshot are the two best films with regards this.

Camelopard
5th August 2009, 00:25
Very warm.

The signals from the moon landing as they landed were picked up by Goldstone Deep Space station in the Mojave Desert, a better feed was picked up at Honeysuckle Creek, and then the worldwide broadcast was taken from Parkes radio telescope.

The Dish and Moonshot are the two best films with regards this.

The first eight minutes were from Honeysuckle Creek near Canberra, well there you go I always thought it was Tidbinbilla also close to Canberra!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/07/21/2631897.htm

"But many remain unaware of the significant role played by Honeysuckle Creek, near Canberra.
"The role of Honeysuckle Creek is one of the unsung stories of the moon landing," astronomer-in-charge of Anglo-Australian Observatory Dr Fred Watson told ABC News Online.
"Honeysuckle Creek has been neglected in history."
Honeysuckle Creek Tracking Station, along with another main telescope in Goldstone, California, beamed the first eight minutes of Armstrong's historic moon steps to the world on July 21, 1969 and, with its antenna, also kept a watchful eye on the spacecraft for the entire mission."

Next question Rollo!

chuck34
5th August 2009, 01:07
Ah, I was a bit off on my story. See I told you I didn't look it up. :-)

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/07/20/apollo11.irpt/index.html?iref=newssearch

It was for the landing back on Earth. The rest was about right though.

Rollo
6th August 2009, 05:37
The United States of America has had one Emperor. In which city did he live, and when did he abolish Congress?

Camelopard
7th August 2009, 12:05
The United States of America has had one Emperor. In which city did he live, and when did he abolish Congress? Surely Fousto knows the answer to this one! I certainly don't...........................

Rollo
9th August 2009, 06:44
Believe it or not this is a serious question. I've even visited this man's gravestone.

Camelopard
11th August 2009, 10:52
Believe it or not this is a serious question. I've even visited this man's gravestone.

Some clues perchance?

chuck34
11th August 2009, 12:38
The United States of America has had one Emperor. In which city did he live, and when did he abolish Congress?

Would it be Maximillion I? I don't know what city he would have been in though.

Rollo
11th August 2009, 23:43
Would it be Maximillion I? I don't know what city he would have been in though.

Maximilian I was the Emperor of Mexico, not of the United States.

The Emperor in question had currency issued in the name of his Imperial Government, and eventually two of his decrees did see completion, though not in any way because of his efforts.

chuck34
12th August 2009, 00:07
Maximilian I was the Emperor of Mexico, not of the United States.

The Emperor in question had currency issued in the name of his Imperial Government, and eventually two of his decrees did see completion, though not in any way because of his efforts.

I know he was Emperor of Mexico, just thinking that maybe he ruled over New Mexico/Arizona/California/Texas or something. Sort of a trick?

Actually now that I think about it a bit more, wasn't there something with Jackson and Florida?

Ok enough of SWAG's, but the Jackson thing isn't too wild. If that isn't it, I'll stop.

edv
7th April 2010, 16:52
OK Back from the dead, with History!

Here's a Question:

Apart from being great observers of their surroundings, what did the following 2 guys have in common?

Vincent Van Gogh
Tycho Brahe

Caroline
7th April 2010, 17:01
They were European? Only joking...

I know that the big crater on the moon is named after Tycho Brahe (the one that makes it look like an orange!) and that astronomy was his passion, especially studying the moon. I know that Van Gogh liked to paint the night sky, often painting the moon.

Their link is observing the moon? Not really Earth Geography :s

edv
7th April 2010, 17:12
Nice try, Carrie, but not what I'm looking for.

Malbec
7th April 2010, 18:51
OK Back from the dead, with History!

Here's a Question:

Apart from being great observers of their surroundings, what did the following 2 guys have in common?

Vincent Van Gogh
Tycho Brahe

Van Gogh slashed off his ear and Tycho Brahe lost his nose in a duel so they both lost parts off their faces.

edv
7th April 2010, 20:11
Right on Dylan!
Van Gogh only lopped off his earlobe, but yes, they both went to their graves with bits missing from their heads!

Your Q

Malbec
8th April 2010, 07:52
Your Q

I'll have to get back to you on this one, though if anyone else has a great question I'm more than happy for them to ask it

Storm
8th April 2010, 11:16
I knew abt the Brahe and Van Gogh relation although I thought Tycho also lost an ear.

EuroTroll
8th April 2010, 15:03
I've got a question.

My signature -- Who did I nick it off? What's it all about? What happened to those concerned?

Doesn't have to be a complete answer. A good answer will do!

edv
8th April 2010, 17:00
The Whale Census of Carthage is Delirious? LOL I have no idea!

EuroTroll
8th April 2010, 17:25
The Whale Census of Carthage is Delirious? LOL I have no idea!

Well... Carthage is right! :) And the first hint: the Roman Senate.

Malbec
8th April 2010, 18:21

IIRC it was a call to destroy Carthage to ensure it never threatened Rome again but can't remember who said it though, one of the Roman senators perhaps? ;)

Lousada
8th April 2010, 18:24

Is it about those senators that wanted Carthage bombed? They didn't get what they wanted. So every time the senate was in session they proposed to invade Carthage, until finally everybody agreed.

EuroTroll
8th April 2010, 18:43
IIRC it was a call to destroy Carthage to ensure it never threatened Rome again but can't remember who said it though, one of the Roman senators perhaps? ;)

Good enough! :up: I hope you have a Q ready now, Dylan. :)

It was after the 2nd Punic War that the Roman senator Marcus Porcius Cato (aka Cato the Elder) ended all his Senate speeches, no matter on which topic, with, "Furthermore, I think Carthage must be destroyed." Carthage was completely destroyed in the 3rd Punic War with the survivors sold to slavery. It was later rebuilt as a Roman colony.

Is it about those senators that wanted Carthage bombed? They didn't get what they wanted. So every time the senate was in session they proposed to invade Carthage, until finally everybody agreed.

Not far from the truth, either.

Malbec
8th April 2010, 18:51
Good enough! :up: I hope you have a Q ready now, Dylan. :)

OK here's one thats unashamedly biased towards Londoners:

With which one of Henry the 8ths wives was the delightful part of London called Elephant and Castle linked with and how?

EuroTroll
12th April 2010, 15:45
Did one of them get the choppy-chop there?

Nice link with the previous question btw. As we know, the Elephant and Castle was named when Hannibal laid siege to the castle with his elephants. That's according to the famous British historian Derek Trotter. :p :

EuroTroll
19th April 2010, 07:45
How's about a clue, Dylan? Lest this thread redies. :)

bowler
19th April 2010, 08:51
Wikipedia has a diffeent slant on the name:

The "Elephant and Castle" is derived from a coaching inn of that name on the site. The earliest surviving record of this name relating to the area is in the Court Leet Book of the Manor of Walworth. This local court had met at "Elephant and Castle, Newington" on 21 March 1765. Previously the site was occupied by a blacksmith and cutler – the coat of arms of the Worshipful Company of Cutlers features an elephant with a castle on its back, which in turn was used because of the use of elephant ivory in handles.

'Newington' is one of the most common place names in England (see Newington Green and Stoke Newington in north London), and from 1750 the area became more important and so the informal name, from the pub at this junction, was adopted. Compare 'Angel' at Islington, or Bricklayers Arms a short distance along New Kent Road from Elephant and Castle.

The inn site was rebuilt in 1816 and again in 1898, although the present Elephant & Castle pub, at the junction of New Kent Road and Newington Causeway, offering budget accommodation on its upper floors, was part of the 1960s comprehensive redevelopment.
[edit] Folk etymologies

A common folk etymology is that the name of the area comes from a corruption of "la [[Infanta de Castilla" referring to any of a number of Spanish princesses connected to English history including Eleanor of Castile, Catherine of Aragon, and Maria, daughter of Philip III of Spain.[2] However, there is no trace of the informal name before the reference of 1765. If the pub had had a different name, then because of its prominence on the principal routes, the area likely would have been called by that name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_and_castle

I have driven through there lots of times, but don't recall Hannibal passing that way, nor Henry Vlll. The Spanish derivative gives a clue that my wife knew but I didn't.

edv
19th April 2010, 16:25
The rules are the same as the 'how good is your geography?'

Rules say no Googling unless directed.
Hints, however, are encouraged for tougher questions.

How can you say it has nothing to do with Henry VIII when it clearly suggests that Catherine Of Aragon was connected to the Infanta de Castilla ?

So what now? Who gets the next Question?

EuroTroll
20th April 2010, 08:26
So what now? Who gets the next Question?

You. ;)

edv
21st April 2010, 00:51
If you insist.

I conquered Egypt.
I was the Queen of a large and arid empire.
I was captured and paraded in Rome in golden chains.

Who am I?

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 00:53
If you insist.

I conquered Egypt.

Who am I?

Cleopatra?

edv
21st April 2010, 01:37
Negatory, Mark.

Malbec
21st April 2010, 03:05
How can you say it has nothing to do with Henry VIII when it clearly suggests that Catherine Of Aragon was connected to the Infanta de Castilla ?

Apologies for not being around to sort out replies to my own question. Your answer though is exactly my understanding of the origin of the name with Catherine having been banished to a cottage in that area after she was divorced.

Mark in Oshawa
21st April 2010, 03:08
If you insist.

I conquered Egypt.

Who am I?

I realized it couldn't have been Cleopatra. That said...now I am really NOT sure at all...

edv
23rd April 2010, 00:41
If you insist.

I conquered Egypt.

Who am I?

A hint:

The remains of my city still stand in the Syrian desert

markabilly
23rd April 2010, 05:15
probably zenobia....cleopatra did not go to rome in chains as a prisoner, , but zenobia led a revolt against Rome, won and then lost, and was taken to Rome and beheaded...

Sonic
23rd April 2010, 08:48
probably zenobia....cleopatra did not go to rome in chains as a prisoner, , but zenobia led a revolt against Rome, won and then lost, and was taken to Rome and beheaded...

Who? Gonna have to google....

EuroTroll
23rd April 2010, 10:00
Ah! Would that be Cleopatra's sister?

edv
23rd April 2010, 16:43
Markabilly has it right. Queen Zenobia ruled over the 3rd largest empire of the time (around 270-ish BC) from her city of Palmyra.

http://www.uth-syria.net/images/palmera.jpg

Not certain about her being be-headed though. Some accounts have her surviving in Rome for years.

Your go, Markabilly.

markabilly
24th April 2010, 06:48
Markabilly has it right. Queen Zenobia ruled over the 3rd largest empire of the time (around 270-ish BC) from her city of Palmyra.

http://www.uth-syria.net/images/palmera.jpg

Not certain about her being be-headed though. Some accounts have her surviving in Rome for years.

Your go, Markabilly.
why I remember is her name was similar to zenophobia.....but as to the rest.... :confused:

Okay what is Spanish about the Spanish Armada???
why is it signifigant, even today????

fandango
24th April 2010, 15:01
Eh... it was from Spain? :dork:

markabilly
24th April 2010, 16:01
Eh... it was from Spain? :dork:
errr......to answer your specific question, not exactly :s mokin:

markabilly
24th April 2010, 21:06
errr......to answer your specific question, not exactly :s mokin:
but you are very close

EuroTroll
25th April 2010, 10:54
It was funded by Spain?

Significance -- why, we'd probably be having this discussion in Dago-talk if they'd won. :)

markabilly
25th April 2010, 13:04
It was funded by Spain?

Significance -- why, we'd probably be having this discussion in Dago-talk if they'd won. :)
25% right, but the spanish spoke something strangely called spanish

and the english upper class talked a lot in french and latin already;

nobody except Italians spoke Italian

EuroTroll
25th April 2010, 13:12
25% right, but the spanish spoke something strangely called spanish

and the english upper class talked a lot in french and latin already;

nobody except Italians spoke Italian

Shocking! :p :

Actually, in British slang, a "dago" is usually a Spaniard, I believe. At least that's how Blackadder used it.

What was the 25% that was right?

markabilly
25th April 2010, 14:53
Shocking! :p :

Actually, in British slang, a "dago" is usually a Spaniard, I believe. At least that's how Blackadder used it.

What was the 25% that was right?
Okay close enough.

The answer was "very little".

When Columbus discovered the new world, Tech and industry in Spain was by far the best in the world. Best ships, etc. A hundred years later, Spain had gotten so much gold, it was just a nation of bankers and the great industrial bases were gone to other countries who actually built the ships and guns (inluding a very small number of Portuguese galleons, with Italy, france, belgium , antwerp and so on, supplying the rest)

Sound familair as to the modern day USA????

Your turn.

EuroTroll
25th April 2010, 17:20
Okay close enough.

Wow, that was unexpected. Will have to think about a Q. If anyone has one -- go right ahead.

Mark in Oshawa
25th April 2010, 17:51
Here is ancient history for you: What place in Europe is reportedly known as the last hold out of Neanderthal man? The last place people figure they lived before being displaced by Cro-magnons?

markabilly
25th April 2010, 19:50
Here is ancient history for you: What place in Europe is reportedly known as the last hold out of Neanderthal man? The last place people figure they lived before being displaced by Cro-magnons?
in Spain, was about the last evidence.....

Mark in Oshawa
25th April 2010, 20:05
in Spain, was about the last evidence.....
According to what I read on Wiki...you are close...but no cigar

markabilly
25th April 2010, 21:18
According to what I read on Wiki...you are close...but no cigar
Wiki????????????????what do they know

Alps?

donKey jote
25th April 2010, 21:22
Gibraltar... ie southern Spain ;) :p
markabilly got it :D

markabilly
25th April 2010, 21:33
Gibraltar... ie Spain ;) :p

Not if you are british :rolleyes:

U take it, if you be right on the actual name

donKey jote
25th April 2010, 21:43
I´m Irish ;)
The Neanderthals got cornered in the south of the iberian peninsula by the ice sheets.

You take it... I´ll take yer missus :arrows:

donKey jote
25th April 2010, 22:34
actually billy you might have been completely right with your frst guess...
Gorham´s cave in Gibraltar doesn´t have the most recent bones found to date (these were found in Zafarraya -Spain) but what were thought to be the most recent remains of Neanderthal presence (Mousterian "assemblages").
This article (http://anthropology.net/2009/10/30/a-cave-shut-by-closed-minds-la-carihuela-neanderthals-vs-the-junta/) implies an even earlier date for the latest Neanderthals in southern Spain (polen dating in Carihuela cave), and also mentions Mousterian finds in the North of Spain in the Picos de Europa dating “slightly more than twenty thousand years”.

Fascinating stuff for a donkey with slightly Neanderthal features like me...
... either way the question is yours :)

Mark in Oshawa
26th April 2010, 00:32
Donkey got it. I realize now that trusting Wiki to even get this little fact right may have been a mistake, but I will let the Neanderthal Donkey take it....

markabilly
26th April 2010, 03:03
Gibraltar... ie southern Spain ;) :p
t :D

Not if you are british

I´m Irish ;)
The Neanderthals got cornered in the south of the iberian peninsula by the ice sheets.

You take it... I´ll take yer missus :arrows:
I got eight. I will send you the loud one, after having yours, you will find her much more fun. Just wear ear plugs when in ex post facto delicto.

Sorry Mark Oshawa, gots to bump in just for the donkey.
And the question is how ain't gibralter not spain? as in why and details thereof.

Irish? slight Neanderthal? I thought you were a donkey buzzard in brazil. Well, dont matter, no difference.

Mark in Oshawa
26th April 2010, 03:36
I got eight. I will send you the loud one, after having yours, you will find her much more fun. Just wear ear plugs when in ex post facto delicto.

Sorry Mark Oshawa, gots to bump in just for the donkey.
And the question is how ain't gibralter not spain? as in why and details thereof.

Irish? slight Neanderthal? I thought you were a donkey buzzard in brazil. Well, dont matter, no difference.

Gib is close..but NOT Spain. IF it was, then the Spanish wouldn't be trying to convince the UK to let them have it back.

markabilly
26th April 2010, 03:53
Gib is close..but NOT Spain. IF it was, then the Spanish wouldn't be trying to convince the UK to let them have it back.
err u finalLY WOKE UP.....so answer the question and you will be a winner....but either way, at least you will not be a Neanderthal donkey irish buzzard

markabilly
26th April 2010, 04:25
as i said, but not too clearly, must be the kool aid, gib ain't Brit, but how now, brown cow?
as in name of the deal

Mark in Oshawa
26th April 2010, 05:38
Gibralter was occupied by the Brit's for some reason. The Treaty of Utrecht granted it to them and the Spanish gov't at that time was ok with it, but basically ever since they have been trying to get it back.

I would Wiki and cheat, but I believe I have the gist of it. The Brits were there for some purpose, not necessairly conquest, but somehow they just liked it so much, they couldn't give it back.

Neat place....

markabilly
26th April 2010, 09:58
Gibralter was occupied by the Brit's for some reason. The Treaty of Utrecht granted it to them and the Spanish gov't at that time was ok with it, but basically ever since they have been trying to get it back.

I would Wiki and cheat, but I believe I have the gist of it. The Brits were there for some purpose, not necessairly conquest, but somehow they just liked it so much, they couldn't give it back.

Neat place....
close enough

it was gateway to the Mediterranean from atlantic ocean and u right on treaty

fandango
26th April 2010, 10:07
Gibralter was occupied by the Brit's for some reason.....

A similar thing has happened in Lloret De Mar.