PDA

View Full Version : Monaco Grand Prix Thread

ozrevhead
18th May 2009, 14:08
With 2 days, 18hrs and 46min to go, I thought it would be time to get this thread underway.

Cant wait till the GP gets underway on Thursday - always loved Monaco and hopefull I will have a reason to love it even more :D

Are Brawn unstoppable or will we have a suprise winner?

Am I fired up for this race? - you betta believe it!

Knock-on
18th May 2009, 14:12
McLaren should be a bit stronger there. Just hope Lewis can drag that dog into the top 8.

pino
18th May 2009, 14:36
I expect an easy win from Jarno :D

Mark
18th May 2009, 15:16
Not Fisichella? :crazy:

Nem14
18th May 2009, 15:21
I'm pissed they raised the harbor mooring fee's to $30,000 USD regardless the size of your yacht.

pettersolberg29
18th May 2009, 15:24
I think Heidfeld will win from Sutil and Alonso.

Well, one can dream ;)

Knock-on
18th May 2009, 15:34
I expect an easy win from Jarno :D

... on the Gambleing tables because he's got sod all chance on the track :D

gloomyDAY
18th May 2009, 16:27
I'm pissed they raised the harbor mooring fee's to $30,000 USD regardless the size of your yacht. :p

If you want to see something extraordinary just look at my pick 'ems!

N. Jones
18th May 2009, 16:43
:laugh:
I always expect a crazy finishing order for Monaco.
My pick'ems are half extraordinary....

gloomyDAY
18th May 2009, 16:49
I have a feeling that Jensen isn't going to finish the race.
His luck is going to dry out for Monaco.

EuroTroll
18th May 2009, 18:42
I have a feeling that Jensen isn't going to finish the race.
His luck is going to dry out for Monaco.

Are you a Mexi-can or a Mexi-can't? :p :

Sleeper
18th May 2009, 19:56
I think Hamilton is going to pull a surprise here, podium I reckon. The McLaren has very good mechanical grip and the low speed of Monaco means the aero problems wont be such a headache for them.

DexDexter
18th May 2009, 21:42
For the sake of the championship, it's now time for Button to have a DNF, so I'm predicting that.

Tazio
18th May 2009, 22:45
I have a sneaking feeling that Webber's drought ends this weekend!

Hondo
18th May 2009, 23:14
You'll have real racing here again in 2010 when Max brings the Formula Fords, rebadged as Formula 1, to town.

But for 2009 I'm going to go with a shot in the dark and offer Trulli as the winner.

christophulus
18th May 2009, 23:25
Button can't win again surely? I'll go for Vettel, Rosberg, Hamilton as the top 3 (or not..)

race aficionado
18th May 2009, 23:51
I've always loved Monaco.

Yes, it is a street race where there is not much passing but there is something about it that just makes it special.
The venue, the history and the tradition, the narrow streets, the constant danger of messing up because of the track itself.

And of course it does bring me great memories of when my man Juan brought it home on his Williams.

so many memories . . . . .

oh my goodness!!! and of course the battle between Juan and Michael and the scene of Michael's Ferrari wobbling out of the tunnel.

priceless!

I'm sure some of you guys must have great memories of this race throughout the years.

Monaco and F1 when paired together, are legendary in my opinion.

peace
:s mokin:

wedge
19th May 2009, 00:15
I think Hamilton is going to pull a surprise here, podium I reckon. The McLaren has very good mechanical grip and the low speed of Monaco means the aero problems wont be such a headache for them.

I too am hoping for it to be Gilles Villenueve 1981 all over again.

Tazio
19th May 2009, 00:16
and the scene of Michael's Ferrari wobbling out of the tunnel. ...and thank you so much for that fond memory! :p :

He was undefeated until then!
It would have trulli taken a miracle for Mike to win that race!
Something he seemed to be able to supply as he took Spain with a cracked header for over half the race,
followed by the famous four stop victory in France over a bewildered FAD.
Now Fred's comments at that post race press conference:

Priceless ;)

race aficionado
19th May 2009, 00:27
...and thank you so much for that fond memory! :p :

Man, those were the days when our forum would erupt! into heavy and passionate discussions.

I miss those days but alas! they are long gone.

Now we have other battles and for this race I will go for the obvious:
The winner will be among the 4 top qualifiers:
Button
Vettel
Alonso
Trulli

:s mokin:

Ari
19th May 2009, 00:53

Same. Webber to Quali P1 and win the race.

Bunson and Vettel to DNF.

Hamilton to stand on the podium after, again, bouncing off walls.

Ari
19th May 2009, 00:54
Oh btw.....Red Bull will be unleashing their new dd or ddd diffuser!

gloomyDAY
19th May 2009, 03:49
I tip Vettel to win and hoping for an RBR 1-2!

Are you a Mexi-can or a Mexi-can't? :p :Mexican! Listen to Arboles de la Barranca (look it up on youtube) and that is how much of a Mexican I am. :D

Oh btw.....Red Bull will be unleashing their new dd or ddd diffuser!I wonder if it will make much of a difference at Monaco.

The upgraded diffuser will probably strut its stuff a lot better at Turkey.

F1boat
19th May 2009, 05:58
I think and I hope that Brawn GP will finish 1-2 in this race. The strength of the car is the slow corners and the team might just score its most crushing victory this season. And maybe Red Bull will struggle, as their car prefer fast corners. If they fail to introduce the DD, the gap between them and Brawn might become enormous. I expect Ferrari to struggle as well as the Scuderia has failed to win here since 2001. But on the other hand McLaren-Mercedes and Renault might be stronger than usual. Especially the Macca - I predict that Lewis might just be the biggest rival of Jenson in Monte Carlo!

Knock-on
19th May 2009, 09:42
Mexican!

Bless you.

Now dispose of that tissue properly ;)

pino
19th May 2009, 09:56
I think and I hope that Brawn GP will finish 1-2 in this race...

If that will happen, the title fight will be over and the rest of this season bored...do you really want that ? :s

SGWilko
19th May 2009, 10:19

What, you reckon he'll end up in the drink? :rotflmao:

SGWilko
19th May 2009, 10:23
If that will happen, the title fight will be over and the rest of this season bored...do you really want that ? :s

Is that what you want, cos that's wat'll 'appen.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIJIGqckpvE
:laugh:

F1boat
19th May 2009, 13:13

Well, pino, I want Jenson to get an enormous advantage, because I think that Brawn GP will have trouble in the development race with Red Bull and maybe some other team, Ferrari, McLaren-Mercedes or Renault. But if the season becomes a cakewalk for Button, I will be very happy for him. I support him and I missed the Brawn supremacy ;)

jens
19th May 2009, 19:41
While Brawn and Red Bull are teams, who can't be overlooked, I think McLaren and Williams will be really strong there. Both teams have in recent years been strong on circuits, which emphasize mechanical grip and this seems to be the case in 2009 too. Williams has been traditionally quick at Monaco, last year Rosberg was even second in Q2, so I think he could upset the usual front-runners a bit this time. With MP4/24 everyone knows that aerodynamics are their weakness, something that Monaco demands less than most other circuits.

Wonder, how will Ferrari perform this time and on this circuit. As weird as it sounds, Ferrari hasn't won a Monaco GP since 2001, usually mostly due to poor grid positions. Finally they had a brilliant chance last year with a front row on the grid, but the race day was rainy... Toyota is an unknown quantity. TF109 has also longer wheelbase than anyone else in 2009, so I'm not sure, how will they fare there. For Jarno this is one of the best circuits, so always, when F1 circus arrives at Monaco, I'm expecting big things from him. Although strangely for different reasons he hasn't scored a point there after 2004, so I'm afraid something will go wrong again...

Hondo
19th May 2009, 19:53
I just found out they want to charge me 30,000.00 Euros for a good spot in the harbor for my yacht, so I'm not going.

gloomyDAY
20th May 2009, 03:13
Brawn GP seems invincible at the moment. Let's see how things go after Monaco.

I'm pissed they raised the harbor mooring fee's to $30,000 USD regardless the size of your yacht.

I just found out they want to charge me 30,000.00 Euros for a good spot in the harbor for my yacht, so I'm not going.Sorry Fiero! You got beaten to the lol's.

DexDexter
20th May 2009, 11:09
While Brawn and Red Bull are teams, who can't be overlooked, I think McLaren and Williams will be really strong there. Both teams have in recent years been strong on circuits, which emphasize mechanical grip and this seems to be the case in 2009 too. Williams has been traditionally quick at Monaco, last year Rosberg was even second in Q2, so I think he could upset the usual front-runners a bit this time. With MP4/24 everyone knows that aerodynamics are their weakness, something that Monaco demands less than most other circuits.

Wonder, how will Ferrari perform this time and on this circuit. As weird as it sounds, Ferrari hasn't won a Monaco GP since 2001, usually mostly due to poor grid positions. Finally they had a brilliant chance last year with a front row on the grid, but the race day was rainy... Toyota is an unknown quantity. TF109 has also longer wheelbase than anyone else in 2009, so I'm not sure, how will they fare there. For Jarno this is one of the best circuits, so always, when F1 circus arrives at Monaco, I'm expecting big things from him. Although strangely for different reasons he hasn't scored a point there after 2004, so I'm afraid something will go wrong again...

Forget about Williams, they've managed to shoot themselves in the leg every race this year, I fear that's not going to change. I predict that Hamilton will be very fast and can possible qualify even on the front row.

AndyL
20th May 2009, 12:10

I just found out they want to charge me 30,000.00 Euros for a good spot in the harbor for my yacht, so I'm not going.

Sorry Fiero! You got beaten to the lol's.

And one of you is getting ripped off since $30,000 is only 22,000 Euro!
;)

Knock-on
20th May 2009, 13:17
;)

And with the current exchange rate about £40,000 :laugh:

jens
20th May 2009, 18:54
Forget about Williams, they've managed to shoot themselves in the leg every race this year, I fear that's not going to change. I predict that Hamilton will be very fast and can possible qualify even on the front row.

Well, Williams may not score many points in the end, but that doesn't mean they can't be quick. ;) 2006 was quite a bad year for Williams too, but at Monaco Webber's pace was good enough to threaten leaders!

20th May 2009, 20:16
And with the current exchange rate about £40,000 :laugh:

Is that included in the budget cap?

If it is, Luca has to decide if he moors the yacht or if Felipe can have a new set of tyres.

21st May 2009, 03:26
The rain might arrive earlier than predicted, I wonder if that will change your picks.

Donney
21st May 2009, 07:49
;)

Only!

Tazio
21st May 2009, 07:53
The rain might arrive earlier than predicted, I wonder if that will change your picks.Done ;)

Dave B
21st May 2009, 09:41
Massa, Hamilton and Button are seriously on it. They do know there's Armco, right?

Knock-on
21st May 2009, 09:44
Is that included in the budget cap?

If it is, Luca has to decide if he moors the yacht or if Felipe can have a new set of tyres.

Ahhhh, but you forget one thing though.

On the books it shows up as "paperclips - £0.50" for budget cap purposes :D

Knock-on
21st May 2009, 09:47
Massa, Hamilton and Button are seriously on it. They do know there's Armco, right?

There's a few drivers out there having fun.

Looks like it's going to be an eventful weekend :D

Lewis is hanging it out to dry all around the track.... sometimes a bit too much ;)

Dave B
21st May 2009, 09:59
Not good news for Vettel, looks like an engine failure.

Knock-on
21st May 2009, 09:59
Vettel has just blown his left bank of pots so that will be a 10 place for him.

Dave B
21st May 2009, 10:01
Which is his race blown unless he gets very creative with strategy or fortunate with weather. :s

BMWs embarrassing again, 19th and 20th, with Heidfeld complaining that his brakes are useless.

AndyL
21st May 2009, 10:12
They can change engines whenever they like this year can't they? As long as they don't use more than 8 in total?

Knock-on
21st May 2009, 10:17
They can change engines whenever they like this year can't they? As long as they don't use more than 8 in total?

I think that once the meeting starts, they are tied into it but I may be wrong. There was a lot of flip flopping at the beginning of the season.

ioan
21st May 2009, 10:56

Time for you to catch up with F1.
FP engines are not regulated anymore in the same way as race engines!

ioan
21st May 2009, 10:57
I think that once the meeting starts, they are tied into it but I may be wrong. There was a lot of flip flopping at the beginning of the season.

The race week end officially starts Saturday, FP sessions are not included in 8 race engine rule.

SGWilko
21st May 2009, 10:58
Time for you to catch up with F1.
FP engines are not regulated anymore in the same way as race engines!

DO my eyes deceive me....????

Hurrah, grumpy ioan is back ;) :laugh:

Surely however, the teams are only allowed 8 engines for the whole season? Or am I wrong (as usual)....

Nice to see you back.

SGWilko
21st May 2009, 10:59
The race week end officially starts Saturday, FP sessions are not included in 8 race engine rule.

Darn it, too slow!!!

F1boat
21st May 2009, 11:00
good results in FP 1. I hope that they are good indication for the weekend. Go Jenson, go Brawn!

ioan
21st May 2009, 11:02
Rubens dwarf Jenson so I guess he will be on a 4 stop strategy (for sure the optimal one for Rubens on this track) this week end! :D

F1boat
21st May 2009, 11:03
In my opinion when the times matter Jenson will obliterate Rubinho.

ioan
21st May 2009, 11:08
In my opinion when the times matter Jenson will obliterate Rubinho.

With a bit of help from the strategist? Or will they short fuel Rubens in his 2nd,3rd and 4th stints?

The picture is clear by now Rubens has the same master he had at Ferrari, Brawn!

Dave B
21st May 2009, 11:15
Didn't take you long to revert to unfounded conspiracy theories, did it? Boy I've missed you :p

Knock-on
21st May 2009, 11:41
Didn't take you long to revert to unfounded conspiracy theories, did it? Boy I've missed you :p

It's been much too polite and reasoned on here. Back to the good (bad?) old days :laugh:

Knock-on
21st May 2009, 11:44

Thank you. As I said, I was unsure what version max finally decided on as it was being debated almost as the first race started.

Can you give me the link to the specific section as it stands for my records? I don't question you're correct but I like to read it myself.

555-04Q2
21st May 2009, 11:54
I don't question you're correct

Liar :p :

555-04Q2
21st May 2009, 11:55
BTW ioan, good to see you back again old man :up:

I was pi$$ed when I saw you were banned for a month. Give the old guard some stick again as they have started to get cheeky without you around ;)

Dave B
21st May 2009, 12:01
Thank you. As I said, I was unsure what version max finally decided on as it was being debated almost as the first race started.

Can you give me the link to the specific section as it stands for my records? I don't question you're correct but I like to read it myself.

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/755774E21C7A8B1DC12575B000326F7C/$FILE/1-2010%20F1%20SPORTING%20REGULATIONS%2006-05-2009.pdf

Paragraph 28.4, on page 13.

It's gearboxes which have to last for consecutive races, engines can be swapped around virtually willy-nilly so long as you don't exceed 8 per season.

Nothing like consistency in the rules, huh? :s tareup:

AndyL
21st May 2009, 12:08
http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/755774E21C7A8B1DC12575B000326F7C/$FILE/1-2010%20F1%20SPORTING%20REGULATIONS%2006-05-2009.pdf

Paragraph 28.4, on page 13.

It's gearboxes which have to last for consecutive races, engines can be swapped around virtually willy-nilly so long as you don't exceed 8 per season.

Nothing like consistency in the rules, huh? :s tareup:

And looks like it's gearboxes for which the weekend starts on Saturday, so engines used on Friday still count towards the allowance of 8... as you said, nothing like consistency :rolleyes:

Knock-on
21st May 2009, 12:11
Ahhh yes. That seems familiar.

So, hopefully the engine has not lunched the gearbox as they need to use the same one but they can change the engine without penalty.

Is that right?

Valve Bounce
21st May 2009, 12:39

Me too :(
Nice to have the guy back - now we can get some unbiased views in our discussions again. :p :

jens
21st May 2009, 12:46
Rubens dwarf Jenson so I guess he will be on a 4 stop strategy (for sure the optimal one for Rubens on this track) this week end! :D

Well yeah, Rubens has raced with 3-stop strategies for two races in a row and in Spain it was already "too close" with Button. Time to play it really safe for Brawn and add one more extra pitstop for Rubens. :D

ioan
21st May 2009, 12:47

Sorry no time for searching around. There was a quote from Charlie whiting in Mars when the FIA cleared up the engine rules.
If I'm not mistaken you posted the link yourself in a thread on this very forum! :p :

veeten
21st May 2009, 12:56
Hey! :) Welcome back from your 'imposed holiday'. ;)

As you can see, it's been quite interesting around here... :p : :)

ozrevhead
21st May 2009, 13:09
Mark was interviewed just now....problems with the Differential and may not be out there for 25min

Got a wicked sence of humor
After it was noted that he was wearing civvies instead of his race suit....'I thought I try to race without a suit :laugh:

Trust it to happen at Monaco and no other circuit! :mad: :(

F1boat
21st May 2009, 13:19
Well yeah, Rubens has raced with 3-stop strategies for two races in a row and in Spain it was already "too close" with Button. Time to play it really safe for Brawn and add one more extra pitstop for Rubens. :D

He can make it too close stealing odd points here and there. Brawn GP are fighting for the championship now and RBR are mighty rival with Newey. So I can understand what Ross is doing, IF he is doing anything as I wouldn't be too surprised if Rubens is just slow to make a winning strategy working. I remember that even in 2002 he was behind Montoya and R Schumacher in the standings until Michael secured the crown and was able to help him.

Knock-on
21st May 2009, 13:29
Sorry no time for searching around. There was a quote from Charlie whiting in Mars when the FIA cleared up the engine rules.
If I'm not mistaken you posted the link yourself in a thread on this very forum! :p :

I probably did but as I said, it was quite fluid at the time.

Had a look at Daves link and realised it was 2010 regs. Doh!!

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.ns ... lterations (http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/AAE9C10693C293F7C12575AF004512DC/$FILE/1-2009%20F1%20SPORTING%20REGULATIONS%20(Showing%20Al terations))%2024-03-2009.pdf

These are the propper 2009 ones.

It says you can use 8 engines and an engine is deemed to be used once the car leaves the pit and is registered the first time on the transponder.

They can change his engine as much as they want.

markabilly
21st May 2009, 13:33
I probably did but as I said, it was quite fluid at the time.

Had a look at Daves link and realised it was 2010 regs. Doh!!

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.ns ... lterations (http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/AAE9C10693C293F7C12575AF004512DC/$FILE/1-2009%20F1%20SPORTING%20REGULATIONS%20(Showing%20Al terations))%2024-03-2009.pdf

These are the propper 2009 ones.

It says you can use 8 engines and an engine is deemed to be used once the car leaves the pit and is registered the first time on the transponder.

They can change his engine as much as they want.

Can they "rebuild" the engines such that the eight can be rebuilt as much as they want???
(just too lazy to look)

Knock-on
21st May 2009, 13:36
Can they "rebuild" the engines such that the eight can be rebuilt as much as they want???
(just too lazy to look)

No. The engines are sealed.

Each driver may use no more than eight engines during a Championship season. Should a driver use more than eight engines he will drop ten places on the starting grid at the first Event during which each additional engine is used.
An engine will be deemed to have been used once the car’s timing transponder has shown that it has left the pit lane.
b) If a driver is replaced at any time during the Championship season his replacement will be deemed to be the original driver for the purposes of assessing engine usage. c) After consultation with the relevant engine supplier the FIA will attach seals to each engine prior to it being used for the first time at an Event in order to ensure that no significant moving parts can be rebuilt or replaced.
2009 F1 Sporting Regulations 14 of 42 24 March 2009
Within two hours of the end of the post race parc fermé exhaust blanking plates (with one 10mm diameter inspection hole per cylinder) and further seals will be applied to all used engines in order to ensure that these engines cannot be run between Events. Upon request to the FIA these additional seals will be removed after the start of initial scrutineering at the next Event at which the engines are required. All such engines must remain within the team’s designated garage area when not fitted to a car and may not be started at any time during an Event other than when fitted to a car eligible to participate in the Event. d) If any of the FIA seals are damaged or removed from an engine after it has been used for the first time that engine may not be used again unless they were removed under FIA supervision.
e) If an engine is changed in accordance with Article 34.1 the engine which was replaced may not be used during any future qualifying session or race with the exception of the last Event of the Championship.

ioan
21st May 2009, 13:38
BTW ioan, good to see you back again old man :up:

Thanks! :)

I was pi$$ed when I saw you were banned for a month.

You should have seen how pi$$ed off was I! ;) :laugh:

Wasted Talent
21st May 2009, 13:45

An expert after one session of free practice

Yawn..............

WT

AndyL
21st May 2009, 13:51
Interesting titbit from the BBC red button commentary: engines damaged in accidents still come out of the allocation of 8 engines, even if the accident was someone else's fault. Sutil has lost one engine as a result of this already.

wedge
21st May 2009, 14:13
Always great to see cars wheelspin/power oversteer at Anthony Noghes again

Dave B
21st May 2009, 14:13
Interesting titbit from the BBC red button commentary: engines damaged in accidents still come out of the allocation of 8 engines, even if the accident was someone else's fault. Sutil has lost one engine as a result of this already.
That was illuminating: turns out that Sutil's engine ran for 9 seconds with no oil and no radiators!

I am evil Homer
21st May 2009, 14:25
Kubica wasn't happy earlier and he's blown his engine!! What are BMW up to?

Shooting themselves in the foot? Although judging by this season they've probably not got much to aim at and may have to move on to the legs

christophulus
21st May 2009, 22:28
What is going on with BMW? Absolutely nowhere, once again. Glad to see McLaren and Williams with some genuine pace...

..hell, it's good to see Ferrari closing in on the leaders! Red Bull move ever closer to the front.. I know Monaco can be the exception but having so many teams improving is going to be great for the rest of the season.

Valve Bounce
21st May 2009, 23:26

That makes my heart bleat - mehehehehehe

markabilly
22nd May 2009, 03:19
What is going on with BMW? Absolutely nowhere, once again. .
don't worry, they are very busy concentrating on next year's car................

F1boat
22nd May 2009, 06:35
don't worry, they are very busy concentrating on next year's car................

ROFL!

Ari
22nd May 2009, 07:13
I just wanted to post something.

wmcot
22nd May 2009, 09:12

Yeah, but in what racing series?

ioan
22nd May 2009, 09:47

The rules for next year aren't set yet.

SGWilko
22nd May 2009, 09:49

Yup, that just about sums up Dr Mario Thyssen!!!!! ;)

Valve Bounce
22nd May 2009, 14:56

That's why they have to concentrate. :p :

harsha
23rd May 2009, 10:28
lewis,kimi and rosberg seem to have found some genuine pace this time around

nice to see mclaren,ferrari,williams topping the grids for a change :p :

harsha
23rd May 2009, 10:37
lewis fastest so far

harsha
23rd May 2009, 10:50
Button,Alonso post some quick times too

harsha
23rd May 2009, 10:51
Toyota and BMW seem to be struggling

ioan
23rd May 2009, 10:57
Wow, first 5 within a bit more than 0.1 seconds!

Take a seat in first row for the qualifying, it will be hot out there! :)

DexDexter
23rd May 2009, 11:27
Ferraris are looking strong, Kimi's time was done on hard tires. I pick Rosberg for pole though, with an emptyish tank. Toyota is again like in the previous years, nothing new under the sun, same design/engineering team, same results.

Garry Walker
23rd May 2009, 11:46

Wrong.

You have 8 engines for the whole season, including FPs, qualys and races.
When the weekend starts with FP1 and FP2, you can use however many engines you want, but the engine you start FP3 with, you also have to use in qualifying and in the race.

AJP
23rd May 2009, 12:25
Does anyone have a live feed for qualy??

ioan
23rd May 2009, 12:27
Wrong.

You have 8 engines for the whole season, including FPs, qualys and races.
When the weekend starts with FP1 and FP2, you can use however many engines you want, but the engine you start FP3 with, you also have to use in qualifying and in the race.

My bad.

Garry Walker
23rd May 2009, 12:38
My bad.

With the moronic rules we have these days, everyone can get it wrong from time to time :D

ioan
23rd May 2009, 12:40
With the moronic rules we have these days, everyone can get it wrong from time to time :D

That's exactly why I want a FIA free championship, or at least one where they only enforce the rules drawn up by the teams.

AJP
23rd May 2009, 12:59
Massa taps the wall already

Somebody
23rd May 2009, 13:10
And Hamilton *more* than "taps the wall". Q1 red-flagged.

ioan
23rd May 2009, 13:10
Lewis saves Felipe's qualifying session?

AJP
23rd May 2009, 13:11
Did he use the KERS as he was coming down the hill?

Somebody
23rd May 2009, 13:15
Did he use the KERS as he was coming down the hill?
Don't know about that - although apparently the KERS cars can snatch a bit in mid-braking as the engine brake/KERS charger stops working as the batteries reach full charge.

More to the point, why is anyone *using* KERS at Monaco? The aero compromises and the effect above + few & short straights = KERS is a hindrance rather than a help.

AndyL
23rd May 2009, 13:21
the engine you start FP3 with, you also have to use in qualifying and in the race.

Where do you get that from? I don't see anything in 28.4 of the sporting regulations. The only place I see P3 mentioned is in 28.6 which relates to gearboxes, as previously mentioned.

Edit: with parc fermé they obviously have to use the same engine in qualy and the race, but I can't see anything stopping them changing the engine after FP3.

pettersolberg29
23rd May 2009, 13:21
Heidfeld, Kubica, Trulli, Glock = bottom 4!

pettersolberg29
23rd May 2009, 13:22
and Hamilton (although not on pace alone)!

AndyL
23rd May 2009, 13:29
Don't know about that - although apparently the KERS cars can snatch a bit in mid-braking as the engine brake/KERS charger stops working as the batteries reach full charge.

More to the point, why is anyone *using* KERS at Monaco? The aero compromises and the effect above + few & short straights = KERS is a hindrance rather than a help.

Looks like you're right with KERS-carrying McLarens and Ferraris both having accidents. I'd hazard a guess they think it might give them half a chance of overtaking someone in the race though.

Somebody
23rd May 2009, 13:51
It's not just the aero that makes it hard to overtake at Monaco, it's the barriers and the narrowness of the track. It's possible to place a car in quite a few corners such that there's less than a car's width on either side (and in other corners - the Lowes Hairpin being the obvious one - if you carry more speed into the corner, you won't be taking any further part.)

ioan
23rd May 2009, 14:04
Great lap by Kimi! :up:

ShiftingGears
23rd May 2009, 14:07
Excellent job by Kimi. I hope he wins.

Mauri A
23rd May 2009, 14:16
Excellent job by Kimi. I hope he wins.
It will be very interesting to see the amount of petrol of the cars.

veeten
23rd May 2009, 14:22
and, once again, Brawn has Button on pole and two cars in the top three.

Dave B
23rd May 2009, 14:34
Red Bull and Williams seem to have hedged their bets with each running one light and one heavy car. A safety car, a near certainty in Monaco, could see their strategy pay dividends.

As ever Alonso outqualifies his hapless (and surely soon jobless) team mate; and as ever BMW demonstrate that their car doesn't suit any kind of track. Toyota must be counting down to their pull-out at the end of the season, and Hamilton must be so frustrated with that mistake.

On the positive side, Ferrari have definately improved and Brawn look unstoppable.

It's going to be a great race! :D

Psycho!
23rd May 2009, 14:44
May Kimi's KERS works well in the start.......!!!

VkmSpouge
23rd May 2009, 15:41
Another good, last gasp effort by Jenson Button to snatch pole. Ferrari looking good at Monte Carlo.

BMW Sauber and Toyota are terrible. It is amazing to think Toyota took pole just two races ago and now they occupy the back row of the grid.

Well done to Force India for getting both cars through to the 2nd Qualifying session for the first time.

UltimateDanGTR
23rd May 2009, 16:05
does anyone else suggest that button might as well reverse himself to victory tomorow? He just seems so far ahead of everyone else, Its like the schumacher years all over again..............

Shalafi
23rd May 2009, 16:59
does anyone else suggest that button might as well reverse himself to victory tomorow? He just seems so far ahead of everyone else, Its like the schumacher years all over again..............

Haha, joke of the day...

Dave B
23rd May 2009, 17:05
I'm not counting any chickens just yet, he's got a KERS car next to him and rumour is Kimi's got a point to prove having been called "Forrest Gump" in the Italian media recently.

Assuming Ferrari are more pracing horse than wonkey donkey, I don't assume Brawn has got this in the bag just yet.

christophulus
23rd May 2009, 17:14
Fuel loads:

Vettel 631.5
Rosberg 642
Massa 643.5
Kovalainen 644
Raikkonen 644
Hamilton 645.5
Webber 646.5
Button 647.5
Barrichello 648
Alonso 654
Nakajima 668
Buemi 670
Sutil 670
Piquet 673.1
Heidfeld 680
Trulli 688.3
Fisichella 693
Kubica 696
Bourdais 699.5
Glock 700.8

christophulus
23rd May 2009, 17:21
Vettel worryingly light, says Nakajima held him up in Q3. Rosberg (and Kovalainen) not doing much better with low fuel but a good showing overall from Williams.

Nothing to choose between the rest, I fancy Raikkonen to be 1st into the first corner tomorrow though.

pettersolberg29
23rd May 2009, 17:39
Glock is the heaviest driver of the season so far! Almost a no-stopper!

christophulus
23rd May 2009, 19:06
Even worse news for Hamilton, starting from the back due to a gearbox change http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75562

UltimateDanGTR
23rd May 2009, 19:32
oooh brilliant, that'll help Hamilton!

(detect sarcasm there?)

Robinho
23rd May 2009, 19:38
fuel corrected the Brawns were pretty awesome in Qually then, Ferrari and Vettel much lighter, if Button can keep kimi at bay into the 1st corner then he should have a great chance, just needs to keep it out of all the barriers for 78 laps whilst driving quicker than everyone else - sounds easy when you put it like that.

how much advantage will KERS give off the start here, given then front row is so close to the first corner, presumabley the cars need to be up into 2nd gear and stable with full throttle before bothering with the extra from KERs - doesn't give much time before they brake for the corner - a decent jump ought to be worth more than KERS here i think

VkmSpouge
23rd May 2009, 19:42
Vettel on 631.5kg? That does seem exceedingly light.

Button appears to be going one or two laps more than Raikkonen, so it will be down to Raikkonen to make KERS count on the run to Sainte Devote and get ahead and pull out a decent lead.

F1boat
23rd May 2009, 20:14
I am very happy for Jenson, amazing Pole, tomorrow should be a great fight with Kimi, who was also superb.

jens
23rd May 2009, 21:38
Well, what can I say?

Brawn - still the masters and Button is still the master of Q3 as he usually struggles in Q2.

Ferrari - impressive performance by F60B on a street circuit.

Red Bull - Again I don't understand their strategy. Vettel 631 kg - WTF?! Unless SC, rain or something like that saves him, this race is another write-off for Seb... and together with it championship hopes are getting slimmer all the time...

McLaren - the streets of Monaco suit them as expected but due to LH's mistake chances of capitalizing on it are slimmer.

Williams - first part same as McLaren only that their chances are still well-alive. Can Rosberg finally deliver the goods and can Nakajima open his point-score?

Renault - usual sight of seeing them in midfield, but quite a fine result for Piquet considering his standards so far.

STR - Buemi outqualifying Bourdais again. Hmmm... But generally - there, where expected.

Force India - quite impressive. Maybe Mallya wasn't too delusional, when he targeted midfield for 2009? :p :

Toyota - in two races from the front row to the back row. :rolleyes: :rotflmao: Who says Toyota can't be spectacular? This is the most spectacular fall I've ever known! BMW a similar embarrassment. Toyota & BMW - oh well, two teams, on who I had very high hopes before the season, but whose future in F1 are now in tatters. Incredible. But F1 in 2009 has already shown, how incredible racing can be, so nothing to be surprised at.

Sonic
23rd May 2009, 22:01
Gods damn it all to hell. Nico should have nailed that one! For the first time this season I think he underperformed. He seemed to hit the last lap with clear air and a minute to the flag and as the last lap unfolded I kept expecting his name to pop up in P2 or 3. 6th place just sucks donkey d*ck. :(

Somebody
24th May 2009, 02:42
Vettel is truly, insanely light. For that to have a hope in hell of working, he needs to either:
1) Somehow get from 4th to 1st by the first corner and run away from the field at a second a lap
2) Get lucky, and have a safety car come out between his stop (c. lap 12) and when everyone else is projected to start coming in (laps 17-21 for the sane lighter runners)

Well, I suppose Monte Carlo is famous for its' casino, but you'd think a front-running team wouldn't bet THAT much on a well-timed SC...

Hawkmoon
24th May 2009, 05:15
I think Vettel's strategy reflects Red Bull's relative struggles around Monaco. Ferrari appear to have replaced them as Brawn's closest challenger here and Red Bull probably figured they'd need to be on pole to have any hope, hence running on fumes in Q3. It obviously didn't work and Vettel has little chance of beating the Brawns, all else being equal.

I still think Vettel will fight it out with the Ferraris for 3rd but no one will touch the Brawns without some intervention from the safety car. Here's hoping!

donKey jote
24th May 2009, 10:16
Gods damn it all to hell. Nico should have nailed that one! For the first time this season I think he underperformed. He seemed to hit the last lap with clear air and a minute to the flag and as the last lap unfolded I kept expecting his name to pop up in P2 or 3. 6th place just sucks donkey d*ck. :(

he was moaning on RTL afterwards about being impeded by rubens, and hoping to profit from a penalty :rolleyes:

DexDexter
24th May 2009, 10:49

Somehow they always fail to deliver. I hope Nico asks advice from Keke on how to come through the field in Monaco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6_zFfEa7ao

SGWilko
24th May 2009, 11:31
Kimi's got a point to prove having been called "Forrest Gump" in the Italian media recently.

And the one day, cos I lost my Jenneeeee, for no particular reason, I started to drive like an eejot..... :laugh:

F1boat
24th May 2009, 12:06
he was moaning on RTL afterwards about being impeded by rubens, and hoping to profit from a penalty :rolleyes:

Shame on him...

pettersolberg29
24th May 2009, 12:46
BBC are saying Nakajima has 32 laps worth of fuel, and he weighs 668kg.

So how many laps does that mean 680kg or 700kg is? Surely anyone at 680kg or over are only one-stopping, yes?

ioan
24th May 2009, 12:51
BBC are saying Nakajima has 32 laps worth of fuel, and he weighs 668kg.

So how many laps does that mean 680kg or 700kg is? Surely anyone at 680kg or over are only one-stopping, yes?

Yep unless they decide to change it because of a SC period at the wrong moment (like less than 10 laps before their pit stop window).

pettersolberg29
24th May 2009, 12:53
Surely a one-stopper is the best tactic if it is so hard to overtake?

Forgive me, I'm relatively new to F1 strategies.

ioan
24th May 2009, 13:00
Poor start by Kimi, chances for a win are almost zero now.

ioan
24th May 2009, 13:17
Looks like BrawnGP are having problems with their tires before the half of their first stint!

ioan
24th May 2009, 14:30
Man there was actually a real overtaking move! :eek:

yodasarmpit
24th May 2009, 14:41
What a drive from Jens, the great start and the way he looked after his first set of tyres lead to the win.

Good to see the Ferrari's back in the game too.

AndyL
24th May 2009, 14:48
What a drive from Jens, the great start and the way he looked after his first set of tyres lead to the win.

Yes he won that race in about the last 5 laps of the first stint didn't he.

Gutted Fisi didn't manage to get Force India's first points - I had money on him to finish in the top 8!

VkmSpouge
24th May 2009, 14:48
A great race by Jenson Button. Immaculate driving and the only thing he did wrong was park his car in parc ferme and not the start/finish straight, still it gave him some more exercise :p :

Ferraris looking much improved though I don't think you can translate form at Monaco to any of the next few races.

Vettel showing his inexperience, he ate those super softs and then crashed out, leaving a dent in his championship challenge as well as the Red Bull.

A shame that Giancarlo Fisichella couldn't quite get in the points for Force India.

ioan
24th May 2009, 14:53
Ferraris looking much improved though I don't think you can translate form at Monaco to any of the next few races.

They were good in Barcelona too, and they will finally have a fully developed and integrated DD diffuser in Turkey! :)

AndyL
24th May 2009, 15:01
Jenson must have been having a flashback to the last few years when he parked in the normal parc fermé instead of the podium section :) I think that's his biggest mistake all season!
Impressive fitness running all the way up the hill to the podium after driving an F1 car round there for 2 hours!

F1boat
24th May 2009, 15:02
Amazing drive for Button and impressive pace for Brawn GP! Congratulations! I am very happy for them and for Kimi and Ferrari as well!

Triumph
25th May 2009, 01:03
Another perfect result. Well done Jenson! :-)

Hurry up McLaren and sort out a decent car for Lewis!

Valve Bounce
25th May 2009, 03:00
I do have to ask here: should Massa been give some form of time penalty (even a slight one) for cutting the chicane twice? I know he was warned after the second time.

Somebody
25th May 2009, 04:42
I do have to ask here: should Massa been give some form of time penalty (even a slight one) for cutting the chicane twice? I know he was warned after the second time.

He was warned twice. I think a third time - or doing it with another car in close proximity - would have meant a drive-through.

ioan
25th May 2009, 08:38

Should Rosberg have got a penalty for overtaking while cutting the chicane :?:

Dave B
25th May 2009, 09:01
No, because he allowed himself to be re-overtaken - if such a word exists - albeit by too many cars!

Valve Bounce
25th May 2009, 09:46

Short answer: YES!

er...........NO! because he allowed himself to be passed ....etc etc etc.

ioan
25th May 2009, 09:56

No, because he allowed himself to be re-overtaken - if such a word exists - albeit by too many cars!

I would read that question again after a coffee! ;)

ioan
25th May 2009, 09:57
Short answer: YES!

er...........NO! because he allowed himself to be passed ....etc etc etc.

Rosberg never gave back the place to Vettel, even if after last seasons race in Spa it was made clear that they should do so within a couple of turns.

Anyway, my point is that you should use the same yardstick for everyone.

Valve Bounce
25th May 2009, 11:50
Rosberg never gave back the place to Vettel, even if after last seasons race in Spa it was made clear that they should do so within a couple of turns.

Anyway, my point is that you should use the same yardstick for everyone.

Sorry!! we've gone metric here in Oz many, many years ago. :rolleyes:

ioan
25th May 2009, 11:59
Sorry!! we've gone metric here in Oz many, many years ago. :rolleyes:

Good on ya, than you can use the same kilometer/meter/centimeter/millimeter for everyone and have a greatly improved precision. You just need a little objectivity! ;)

Valve Bounce
25th May 2009, 13:56
Good on ya, than you can use the same kilometer/meter/centimeter/millimeter for everyone and have a greatly improved precision. You just need a little objectivity! ;)

Maybe we could use a metre rod - that's the closest. ;)

ioan
25th May 2009, 14:14
Maybe we could use a metre rod - that's the closest. ;)

You've got some strange habits down under! :p

Valve Bounce
25th May 2009, 17:25
You've got some strange habits down under! :p

To measure cloth with.

Garry Walker
25th May 2009, 18:02

I was quite afraid that he will be given a penalty, he was really on the edge yesterday. I have not seen a driver push so hard for quite a while, he was very impressive. I think this was one of the best races of his career for sure.

ioan
25th May 2009, 18:41
I was quite afraid that he will be given a penalty, he was really on the edge yesterday. I have not seen a driver push so hard for quite a while, he was very impressive. I think this was one of the best races of his career for sure.

Looking forward to the next GP, he will be a monster around that track.

Valve Bounce
26th May 2009, 03:18

Just hope he doesn't turn green and pop his driving suit and helmet :eek:

555-04Q2
26th May 2009, 06:36

:up: Would be nice to see Ferrari come back from their poor season start to win as soon as the seventh race. Unfortunately, a pair of fast cars stand in the way, but lets see what happens.