PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Utah GP Results

wmcot
18th May 2009, 07:13
It turned out to be a lot more exciting this weekend than I had anticipated. Pagenaud shattering the old track record for pole in the P1 Acura. Bergmeister grabbing the GT2 pole with what was basically a one-lap-and-done run.

The race was far from boring even though I missed the Audis and Penske Porsches. De Ferran simply ran away from the field and Pagenaud carried on without missing a beat. They lapped all but the "sister" Patron-Highcroft Acura.

P2 was a very close battle coming right down to a couple of seconds at the finish. GT2 was a great drive by Bergmeister/Long who didn't put a wheel wrong all day.

The drive of the day had to be the Risi Ferrari which was punted off at the start and then Kaffer and Melo put in what you could call "qualifying laps" all day to end up third.

Even the Challenge cars were competitive in their class and I was surprised that the didn't get in the way of any of the ALMS regulars all day. It is really amazing how much difference in performance there is between a GT3 Challenge Cup Porsche and a GT2 ALMS Porsche until you see them on the same track!

Mugsey
18th May 2009, 07:33
Great track there at Miller. Did you hear why they were running the shortened track instead of the full 4+ miles?

wmcot
19th May 2009, 06:44
Great track there at Miller. Did you hear why they were running the shortened track instead of the full 4+ miles?

They've run the outer perimeter track for the last two years. I suspect that it has something with a faster, shorter lap being more appealing to TV. Either that, or the teams wanted it. The original course was a lot more technical with its 24 turns, but the outer course does look better when watching the race.

Those are just my guesses. I have a friend that works in race control so I'll see if he has an answer.