PDA

View Full Version : How's this for a compromise ?

Bagwan
17th May 2009, 15:14
Max has dangled a $40million price tag for a season . FOTA doesn't like it .
Max has pushed a two-tier formula . FOTA doesn't like it .
If Max has replacements for the big teams , F1 will go a new , very un-charted direction , as FOTA is digging in the heels deeply in opposition .

So , what say we apply the $40million cap to the new entries only , but give them unlimitted testing miles , not included in the cap ?
Leave the other teams limitted .
Included in this suggestion is the idea that only the limitted teams would need audits , to make sure they stay in line with the budget .

Dump KERS , and you might have a base to negotiate a way to keep everyone happy , without creating a two-tier formula .

The first thing that would happen , if my thinking is correct , would be that the teams entering would have a chance at coming up the grid as the season progresses .

pettersolberg29
17th May 2009, 15:21
I like the idea, and it seems sensible.

There are 2 reasons why the FIA won't like it.

Bagwan
17th May 2009, 17:01
I like the idea, and it seems sensible.

There are 2 reasons why the FIA won't like it.

The normal scenario has the FIA propose rules , and the teams baulking at all but the least silly . Any offer by either side will have plan B as a counter offer built in .
At this point , we have Max dropping the two-tier idea , an idea that nobody was ever going to really accept , in an attempt to show FOTA as only self-serving .

No manufacturer is ever going to be happy with Max going through the books , but this may prompt more entries , and more customer parts .

It seems like somewhere to start , to find the happy medium .

Drew
18th May 2009, 19:12
I like the idea Bagwan, but what happens in 2011, do they still get the same special treatment? Because if not they'll probably have to pull out and if they do, they'll probably dominate

wmcot
19th May 2009, 06:39
Better idea. Let Max take his 40m cap, KERS, and all the other whistles and bells he's promised new teams and start Formula Max and leave running F1 to the teams.

Bagwan
19th May 2009, 13:11
I like the idea Bagwan, but what happens in 2011, do they still get the same special treatment? Because if not they'll probably have to pull out and if they do, they'll probably dominate

I would suggest that any team might want to join the capped group . That includes the manufacturers .
If they did , they would be afforded the same luxuries of testing .

The teams , hopefully , will want rule stability , so customer parts will become more common . That way , the manufacturuers will gain as well .

SGWilko
19th May 2009, 13:46
I would suggest that any team might want to join the capped group . That includes the manufacturers .
If they did , they would be afforded the same luxuries of testing .

The teams , hopefully , will want rule stability , so customer parts will become more common . That way , the manufacturuers will gain as well .

So the budget cap works how exactly?

Spend less, but you are allowed to do more of the things that are inherently more expensive - like testing and more design freedom.

Surely, somewhere in that there is an oxymoron.

Or should that be a Maxymoron? ;)

nigelred5
19th May 2009, 17:30
I prefer just "Moron" Bernie or Max, take your pick, it fits equally well on both.

wmcot
20th May 2009, 08:34
I prefer just "Moron" Bernie or Max, take your pick, it fits equally well on both.

That's very insulting to all the morons out there! ;)