PDA

View Full Version : jeremy clarkson on f1

CNR
16th May 2009, 00:41
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/columnists/clarkson/article2432182.ece

A LOT of people seem confused by Formula One motor racing this year.

For the past two seasons, we’ve been assured that Lewis Hamilton is the greatest driver since Ben Hur and that Jenson Button is a silly playboy with half a beard and about as much chance of winning the world championship as Valerie Singleton.
But now it’s the other way around.
Lewis is the spanner at the back and Jenson’s the superhero with wedding vegetables the size of turnips.

V12
16th May 2009, 01:00
He has a point on the Brawn v. Newey thing:

Benetton v. Williams (1994-95)
Ferrari v. McLaren (1998-2001)
Brawn v. Red Bull (now)

Overall though I think Jezza should stick to general politics - where he tends to talk sense.

VkmSpouge
16th May 2009, 03:02
I agree with a lot of what Clarkson had to say except his main point that all drivers have the same ability, that's clearly not the case.

Ari
16th May 2009, 06:37
Brawn vs Newey is a very simple way of looking at things. I'd have expected Jeremy to come up with something more interesting than that. If I recall correctly Newey designed the last couple RBR cars did he not?

Regarding this talk of all F1 drivers being the same. That's utter rubbish. I agree that the difference between them is maybe a few percent but that's the difference that matters. If they're all the same then why is Lewis quicker than Heikki? Why don't they all cross the line ahead or behind their team mate?

Cooper_S
16th May 2009, 11:10
A lot of people think Clarkson is a wit... well they are half right.

16th May 2009, 17:33
To be fair to him, he is writing for Sun readers. Any attempt at complex explanation would be a futile experiment.

VX_Rules
16th May 2009, 18:31
To be fair to him, he is writing for Sun readers. Any attempt at complex explanation would be a futile experiment.

Haha this is true, His Sunday Times column was much more intelligent.

Donney
18th May 2009, 07:35
It is over simplified but I think he is basically right in what he says.

Bruce D
19th May 2009, 06:37
A lot of people think Clarkson is a wit... well they are half right.

There are only 2 reasons why people hate Clarkson - 1) he speaks the common sense that is seriously lacking in these modern times so people don't understand him, and 2) He tells the truth, which car manufacturers hate! :P

I think he is spot on, although I do agree with Ari's comment - Newey did design the last 2 average RBR's.

SGWilko
19th May 2009, 09:26

So long as there were lots of pictures so cabbies could follow the story....

V12
19th May 2009, 10:49
Newey did design the last 2 average RBR's.

I think he had Red Bull (and Toro Rosso, let's not forget) punching above their weight though, given extra resources of the manufacturer teams. It's no surprise given this year's "clean sheet of paper" that having Newey on board is more of an advantage than usual.

Cooper_S
19th May 2009, 11:17
There are only 2 reasons why people hate Clarkson -

What a crock... that is solely your own opinion based on the self confessed fact that you happen to agree with him...

There are many reasons why JC is disliked... his remit as far as I concerned is as a motoring journalist and presenter... I totally enjoy his work when he sticks to it...

on a broader stage he a fool and his opinions are borderline racist and xenophobic... that is fine there are plenty who are of the same opinion... I just happen not to be one of them

Knock-on
19th May 2009, 11:45
What a crock... that is solely your own opinion based on the self confessed fact that you happen to agree with him...

There are many reasons why JC is disliked... his remit as far as I concerned is as a motoring journalist and presenter... I totally enjoy his work when he sticks to it...

on a broader stage he a fool and his opinions are borderline racist and xenophobic... that is fine there are plenty who are of the same opinion... I just happen not to be one of them

I take it you don't like him then :D

Could it be that you mistake his onscreen comedy as xenophobia and racism?

I think his slapstick type humour can sometimes be funny and sometimes bores me but his buffoonery is hardly ment to be taken seriously apart from by people that are looking to take offence.

The Tommy Spitfire against the Kraut Messerschmitt jokes are juvernile and sometimes entertaining comedy but cannot be taken with more than a pinch of salt by anyone with half a wit (as you claim JC has).

No point getting all morally indignant over it ;)

555-04Q2
19th May 2009, 11:52
I love Clarkson. Yes he's a blithering idiot, but what you see is what you get and he calls a spade a spade.

Cooper_S
19th May 2009, 11:57
I do like JC and have done ever since his pebble mill days... I love the JC formatted Top Gear... and do read his (motoring) articles... the tom foolery on top gear is what it is and not what I was referring too... it is his documented opinions on matters not motor sport related that he shows himself up as racist, sexist and xenophobic... I can separate JC the car nut from JC the bigot...

I have no hatred for the man.... just a hatread of his views...

Knock-on
19th May 2009, 12:53
I cannot comment on his views outside of his television work I'm afraid as I tend to ignore it :D

I did do a little search though and came up with this article.

http://www.24dash.com/news/Communities/2009-02-06-Jeremy-Clarkson-A-decade-of-controversy

I must admit, it made me chuckle reading it. After all, who can object to Gordon Brown being called a one eyed Scottish idiot. I would have though that the comment would be considered a compliment!! Given the option, I would be far more damning in my critism of that sodding cretin.

As for the Korean / Spaniel quote. I'm still chuckleing about that :laugh:

I really cannot see what all the fuss is about. What are people objecting to?

Can you post some examples?

BDunnell
19th May 2009, 13:04
There are only 2 reasons why people hate Clarkson - 1) he speaks the common sense that is seriously lacking in these modern times so people don't understand him, and 2) He tells the truth, which car manufacturers hate! :P

As a motoring journalist, fine. As any other sort of journalist, I think he's appalling, albeit probably very good at writing for the sort of audience that likes that sort of thing - i.e. generally uninformed diatribes about things the writer knows nothing about, or, as I once heard Clarkson's columns described, 'opinions unencumbered by fact'.

wedge
19th May 2009, 15:04
I have on good authority that Clarkson is really a reasonable bloke except he is no different to a prostitute.

A prostitutes sells her body for sex because there is a market for it just as there is a market for pandering silly non-pedantic opinions.

Dave B
19th May 2009, 15:24
...what you see is what you get ....
Absolutely false. He changes his opinion and viewpoint according to the audience he's writing or performing for. He freely admits (in his most recent column (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/jeremy_clarkson/article6301096.ece), as it goes) to being a hypocrite on some matters; and I've seen him drop his guard during TV recordings and reveal himself to be far more "establishment" than he'd ever admit in writing.

He's a clever man, no doubt about that, but don't fall into the trap of thinking he's the "man of the people" he'd like to portray himself as.

christophulus
19th May 2009, 15:51
All true - he changes his mind frequently but I get a bloody good laugh out of reading his columns/books/TV shows etc. And to me, that's all that matters.

call_me_andrew
20th May 2009, 04:22
The man thinks the plural of torque is torques. I have no reason to take his opinions seriously.

555-04Q2
20th May 2009, 06:41
Absolutely false. He changes his opinion and viewpoint according to the audience he's writing or performing for. He freely admits (in his most recent column (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/jeremy_clarkson/article6301096.ece), as it goes) to being a hypocrite on some matters; and I've seen him drop his guard during TV recordings and reveal himself to be far more "establishment" than he'd ever admit in writing.

He's a clever man, no doubt about that, but don't fall into the trap of thinking he's the "man of the people" he'd like to portray himself as.

Changing his opinion and calling a spade a spade are two very different things. We all change our minds on opinions/matters, some more than others. I think he's controversial, in your face and good value for money.

Having met both JC and RH in Johannesburg (thats in Seth Efrica people), I can positively say JC is the rudest man I have ever met, didnt appreciate any of the support staff around him, and calls a spade a spade. He still is great for television viewing though, thats why I own virtually every JC and Top Gear DVD ever released.

Richard Hammond on the other hand, was an absolute gentleman, especially to the ladies :p :

555-04Q2
20th May 2009, 06:42
The man thinks the plural of torque is torques. I have no reason to take his opinions seriously.

I dont think anyone does, do they :?: :s hock:

wmcot
20th May 2009, 08:44

The problem is that people take everything too seriously! Clarkson tries to make light about anything and anyone. Perhaps we should take a clue from him and lighten up. We could all use a good laugh at ourselves once in awhile.

PolePosition_1
20th May 2009, 09:55
Ironic really, considering he couldn't get his tongue close enough to Lewis Hamilton's arse when he appeared on Top Gear.

Whilst I find Clarkson entertaining, and enjoy Top Gear - he don't half talk some crap.

But then thats what happens when you sell out to the tabloids.

wmcot
21st May 2009, 05:58

I don't think he wants you to! I find it refreshing to see one person in the world today who doesn't worry about every single word he utters being politically correct. I'm sick of those who have to be politically correct all the time. They can't tell you what they feel, they can only say what every minority of any kind will allow them to say.

Clarkson is sort of a stand-up comic who knows about cars. If people look at him and can't take a joke, then I feel rather sad for them.

Besides, anyone who punches Piers Morgan is alright with me! :)

Mark
21st May 2009, 08:38

The question more is, do you think that he believes that? Because of course he doesn't, it's a little play with the language, for comic effect.

It can often stick too, when talking to my friends who are also Top Gear fans I often refer to my car having a certain number of 'torques', and I often say like "look at the sheeps". Both in situations where who's listening knows what I'm doing.

There's a difference between what you hear on Radio 4 news and what you'd hear in real life, and the fact is that if enough people use it, it becomes correct by itself!

wmcot
21st May 2009, 08:43
They do say us Brits have a very dry sense of humour which alot of our foreign friends do not get. Clarkson is a prime example of this and although he sometimes comes across rude and controversial, I think he does it for effect. He's like Marmite, you either love him or hate him, take it of leave it.. People also think he shouldn't have such a strong opinion on F1 when he often claims on Top Gear not to be a fan.... Indeed i've spotted him at more than one British GP in the past so does he like to pull peoples legs?? :p

I love the British sense of humor. I find that you do have to have a quick mind to catch it at times. It's much better than the current American sense of humor which is basically being as crude and filthy as you can just for the shock value.

Knock-on
21st May 2009, 09:36
The question more is, do you think that he believes that? Because of course he doesn't, it's a little play with the language, for comic effect.

It can often stick too, when talking to my friends who are also Top Gear fans I often refer to my car having a certain number of 'torques', and I often say like "look at the sheeps". Both in situations where who's listening knows what I'm doing.

There's a difference between what you hear on Radio 4 news and what you'd hear in real life, and the fact is that if enough people use it, it becomes correct by itself!

I can't understand a word. In English next time please or w r i t e s l o w e r :p :

:D

555-04Q2
21st May 2009, 11:45
I love the British sense of humor. I find that you do have to have a quick mind to catch it at times. It's much better than the current American sense of humor which is basically being as crude and filthy as you can just for the shock value.

Totally agree :up:

christophulus
21st May 2009, 22:43
I don't think he wants you to! I find it refreshing to see one person in the world today who doesn't worry about every single word he utters being politically correct. I'm sick of those who have to be politically correct all the time. They can't tell you what they feel, they can only say what every minority of any kind will allow them to say.

Clarkson is sort of a stand-up comic who knows about cars. If people look at him and can't take a joke, then I feel rather sad for them.

Besides, anyone who punches Piers Morgan is alright with me! :)

Could not agree more :up:

I've always seen him as more of a comedian than a journalist. It's a refreshing change to see someone being un-PC and generally a bit daft, yet having (occasional) real insight.

I have too started referring to the number of "CO2s" that a car puts out - not technically correct but everyone has a pretty good idea of what you're on about!

BDunnell
21st May 2009, 22:53
I don't think he wants you to! I find it refreshing to see one person in the world today who doesn't worry about every single word he utters being politically correct.

It is interesting that he dispenses with his Top Gear and Sun column schtick whenever he appears on Have I Got News for You and QI, on both of which he has been very funny, and shared in a cordial fashion the company of very left-wing comics such as Jeremy Hardy and Mark Steel. This suggests to me that he thinks about what he says far more than many would perhaps like to think.

I'm sick of those who have to be politically correct all the time. They can't tell you what they feel, they can only say what every minority of any kind will allow them to say.

A group of people of which I have honestly never met a representative. I think they are often confused with people who merely disagree with reactionary right-wing views and casual racism/sexism/homophobia, and don't hold back in saying so. In addition, I have often found that those who moan about 'political correctness' are often very easily offended by genuinely near-the-knuckle comedy or satire.

I suspect that most good stand-up comedians would be very offended at any comparison with someone who is, when all is said and done, a reactionary motoring journalist.

BDunnell
21st May 2009, 22:53

So language should only evolve as a result of mistakes?

V12
21st May 2009, 23:44
So language should only evolve as a result of mistakes?

Going waaay off topic, but surely the variety you see, say in western European languages, which are mostly derived from either Latin or German, are down to alterations - i.e. mistakes (in writing or listening) - through time?

Having said that his use of "<a number here> torques" really gets me, it's newton-metres (or pounds-feet) surely?!

But I find him mostly spot-on politically, whether he really believes what he's saying or whether he's just being a populist, well only he knows that for sure...

Cooper_S
22nd May 2009, 00:03
I find him mostly spot-on politically...

My condolences to your family

wmcot
22nd May 2009, 08:57
But I find him mostly spot-on politically

At least he isn't afraid to say what's on his mind - unlike ALL politicians who will generally tell you what they think you want to hear!

Knock-on
22nd May 2009, 09:39
In addition, I have often found that those who moan about 'political correctness' are often very easily offended by genuinely near-the-knuckle comedy or satire.

Vs

I suspect that most good stand-up comedians would be very offended at any comparison with someone who is, when all is said and done, a reactionary motoring journalist.

:laugh:

I have often found that those who resent people who find political correctness tiresome generally find offence in an awfulfull lot of things that are not ment to offend ;)

punter_S14
22nd May 2009, 12:59

What is it with the "suns"? In Australia there is the "herald sun". no clarkson, but nothing else, either. It is shark-infested waste-land. (on paper)

BDunnell
22nd May 2009, 13:10
What is it with the "suns"?

Very good question. I have absolutely no idea. They certainly don't shine a ray of light into our lives, any of them.

Cooper_S
22nd May 2009, 13:36
In fairness it is all the Red Tops not just the Sun, although they do excel in appealing to the lowest common denominator of opinion, changing tune whenever it suits them...

Sun readers make a strong argument that our evolution as a species may have peaked

22nd May 2009, 13:44
They certainly don't shine a ray of light into our lives, any of them.

You haven't seen Keeley Hazells tits then.

Cooper_S
22nd May 2009, 13:49
the transition from Linda Lusardi to Sam Fox's was pivotal and a change for the worse...

Knock-on
22nd May 2009, 14:05
You haven't seen Keeley Hazells tits then.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7GF2kkMcTKc/R_TvJ3qPvoI/AAAAAAAAMHc/Z13lBxtP1e4/s400/keeley_hazell_fhm_may_new_2_big.jpg

Well, I wouldn't kick her out of bed for farting ;)

SGWilko
22nd May 2009, 14:08
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7GF2kkMcTKc/R_TvJ3qPvoI/AAAAAAAAMHc/Z13lBxtP1e4/s400/keeley_hazell_fhm_may_new_2_big.jpg

Well, I wouldn't kick her out of bed for farting ;)

Someone tell her her top is too small........... ;)

Knock-on
22nd May 2009, 16:58

Nope, the top- is the right size, something else is too big :D

wmcot
23rd May 2009, 10:55

HER top looks fine to me! :)

(But something is very wrong here - how did we get here from a thread about Jeremy Clarkson? We're way off topic, but somehow, I don't mind!)