PDA

View Full Version : DTM coverage gone to sodding Sultana

philipbain
15th May 2009, 23:08
DTM has gone to Setanta Sports, which means along with GP2 most people that previously watched it will now not watch it. Motors TV now shows little of interest unless you are really keen on Motorcross or Aussie V8 Touring Cars (which are alright I guess, but no DTM). Go back 5 years and it was a very different story, Motors TV at it's height was crammed with loads of top quality live motorsport, now its the shadow of it's former self.

Daniel
16th May 2009, 01:11
So the DTM now sinks into obscurity in the UK

Alfa Fan
16th May 2009, 01:34
From where exactly Daniel? Setanta is more obscure than Motors TV?

VkmSpouge
16th May 2009, 02:54
Setanta is actually more high profile than Motors TV because of it's Premier League coverage.

Daniel
16th May 2009, 06:02
Yes but tonnes of people get Motors free.

I am evil Homer
16th May 2009, 08:07
Setanta is also in major financial trouble so it will probably move back when then channel folds.

Chris2k6
16th May 2009, 09:12
I remember sunday afternoons when i used to settle down infront of the TV with Motors TV on and watch the BTCC, DTM and the V8's! aswell as Le Mans and much more. Oh those were the days! I now hardly ever watch Motors TV

philipbain
16th May 2009, 09:29
I remember sunday afternoons when i used to settle down infront of the TV with Motors TV on and watch the BTCC, DTM and the V8's! aswell as Le Mans and much more. Oh those were the days! I now hardly ever watch Motors TV

Ditto, at one time I watched hours of motor racing on Motors TV every week, now I very rarely watch it.

wedge
16th May 2009, 12:15
Aussie V8 is way better than DTM. I take more interest in DTM because the European drivers and the cars are nothing but glorified prototype race. V8SC are proper tourers with quality drivers to boot.

Allyc85
16th May 2009, 12:18
I hate Setanta so much! Its bad enough having to pay for sky let alone more Setanta. nothing against the people that work for them but I really hope the company goes under!

reidy_fan
16th May 2009, 12:35
not into the footy so not paying for setanta, the only worthwhile stuff on motors tv is the scottish club racing and national legends. even so the coverage is usually about a month late but better than nowt

wish itv4 would get dtm

BDunnell
16th May 2009, 16:53
So the DTM now sinks into obscurity in the UK

The DTM has always been obscure in the UK because it's not a UK championship. I bet the viewing figures are tiny.

Daniel
16th May 2009, 17:01
The DTM has always been obscure in the UK because it's not a UK championship. I bet the viewing figures are tiny.
Sorry, I should have said further into obscurity :)

BDunnell
16th May 2009, 17:12
Sorry, I should have said further into obscurity :)

I don't think anyone would expect any series to be anything other than fairly obscure anywhere outside its own country, except amongst enthusiasts.

steve_spackman
16th May 2009, 17:55
Yes but tonnes of people get Motors free.

Is it available in the US at all?

steve_spackman
16th May 2009, 17:57
Setanta is also in major financial trouble so it will probably move back when then channel folds.

So my uncle maybe out of a job then..He does the football Commentry

wedge
17th May 2009, 01:23

I'd wonder which is more popular with UK viewers/fans, WTCC or DTM? I reckon it would be WTCC.

Abo
17th May 2009, 07:07
any form of motor racing in the UK (apart from F1) is obscure, as far as the general public are concerned...

AndyRAC
17th May 2009, 12:19
any form of motor racing in the UK (apart from F1) is obscure, as far as the general public are concerned...

And the general media!! There's loads of great Motorsport - but it is ignored!

As for Setanta - I thought they were in money troubles - so how on earth have they got the DTM??

BDunnell
17th May 2009, 20:49
And the general media!! There's loads of great Motorsport - but it is ignored!

As for Setanta - I thought they were in money troubles - so how on earth have they got the DTM??

Probably because the rights outside Germany cost bugger all.

UltimateDanGTR
17th May 2009, 21:12
i hope setanta go under so we can have our proper motorsports back! aswell as england away games and the FA Cup! (that isnt on ITV) DTM is another huge loss for Motors TV (Motorcycles TV innit?) but at least they have Aussie V8s-which are cool and have better racing than DTM. and at least setanta have not yet got the travesty of having Nascar and Indycar, if they go from sky i will be distraut. hopefully sultana wont ever take interest in americaland motor racing.

Die sultana! (thats die as in death-not die as in a reference to german word for the, linking with dtm ;) )

dcr22B
18th May 2009, 16:38
Gents, the V8s have already gone to a deferred 1 week delay on Motors TV as they are feeling the pinch of the current global economic crisis.

christophulus
19th May 2009, 09:19
V8, Indycar, Nascar and some random other events (no DTM though) are shown overnight on channel 5 in the UK. At least the BTCC is still on ITV4 - not great but better than not having it at all!

AndySpeed
19th May 2009, 09:26
V8, Indycar, Nascar and some random other events (no DTM though) are shown overnight on channel 5 in the UK. At least the BTCC is still on ITV4 - not great but better than not having it at all!

I unexpectedly caught some A1GP recently!

woody2goody
21st May 2009, 01:52
I like Setanta and I honestly feel they'll be ok with all the extra coverage for this year.

they're getting the UEFA Cup (I'm still gonna call it that) as well.

I've never really been able to watch the DTM properly so now I'll be able to :) I've always followed it but never watched the races.

Eurosport has pretty good motorsport coverage.

philipbain
21st May 2009, 18:54
I'd wonder which is more popular with UK viewers/fans, WTCC or DTM? I reckon it would be WTCC.

Aye, I reckon WTCC because of the fact that Teenage Sensation Andy Prixaulx won it 4 times in a row (yes yes yes, I know it was technically only 3 WTCC titles but I always count the last ETCC title was it is the same series rebadged). I am aware that Andy is a man in his 30s now but I always use the "teenage sensation" tag as thats how he was described back at the start of his hillclimbing days!

Eurotech
21st May 2009, 22:30
a bit off subject but was it me or did ITV4 have FIAGT until the Spa 24hrs last year?

philipbain
1st June 2009, 17:19
a bit off subject but was it me or did ITV4 have FIAGT until the Spa 24hrs last year?

I do remember them having GT coverage, for at least one race then everything went quiet and it soon disappeared, a shame as if they stuck with it and promoted it properly I think they could have got a reasonable audience from it.

Chris2k6
10th June 2009, 07:55
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8090633.stm

looks like Stetanta really are in trouble, losing £100m a year! ouch!

UltimateDanGTR
10th June 2009, 16:19
I hope setanta go under. I dont have it and dont want them taking more sports from other channels-I refuse to pay for bleeding sultana. hopefully DTM will return soon to a proper channel.

wedge
10th June 2009, 16:37
I do remember them having GT coverage, for at least one race then everything went quiet and it soon disappeared, a shame as if they stuck with it and promoted it properly I think they could have got a reasonable audience from it.

They showed something like half the season till SRO pulled the can because ITV promised live coverage which they couldn't fully commit via tape delay due to BTCC and F1 clashing.

It's now on MotorsTV.

DTM will probably be back there as well though fingers crossed Steve Rider will work his magic again with ITV bigwigs.

dcr22B
11th June 2009, 17:17
It's now on MotorsTV.

Nope, Setanta. FIA GT3 and GT4 are on Motors.

thetrooper_uk
24th June 2009, 10:51
Setanta don't even have enough customers to break even at the moment and no one is pushing their advert now either so I reckon it's curtains for Setanta. They just got greedy and tried to expand to quickly by splitting what they have into 5 channels when it doesn't even fill 1 channel properly.

PDS
24th June 2009, 11:20
Setanda have officialy GONE!

tintin
26th June 2009, 14:43
They showed something like half the season till SRO pulled the can because ITV promised live coverage which they couldn't fully commit via tape delay due to BTCC and F1 clashing.

Other way round. ITV dropped it because the organisers failed to move the start times of races to avoid clashes with F1, as they had agreed.

Even delayed on ITV4 it was getting 8 times as many viewers as it did on Motors.

philipbain
13th July 2009, 09:58
Setanda have officialy GONE!

Now we just have to wait for the coverage of GP2 and DTM to get sorted and shown somewhere where people will actually watch it, a decent web stream would do in all honesty.

JTK
13th July 2009, 13:24
Now we just have to wait for the coverage of GP2 and DTM to get sorted and shown somewhere where people will actually watch it, a decent web stream would do in all honesty.

Eurosport have GP2 for rest of this season and for 2010 and 2011. Understand from another forum that next DTM race on Sky, and talks are on-going with another broadcaster (not mentioned who) for future coverage

Allyc85
13th July 2009, 15:59
Was great to see GP2 on eurosport at the weekend, even if the officials did have to spoil the sprint race...

Looking forward to seeing the DTM now when thats sorted out :)

christophulus
22nd July 2009, 11:42
Sky confirm DTM highlights:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77118

UltimateDanGTR
22nd July 2009, 20:52
Eurosport have GP2 for rest of this season and for 2010 and 2011. Understand from another forum that next DTM race on Sky, and talks are on-going with another broadcaster (not mentioned who) for future coverage

YYYESSSSSSSSSSS! Jackpot!

as you can see, seeing the return of DTM and GP2 has pleased me very much. No more Sultana!

Sky Confirms DTM Highlights

Perfect. I can now watch DTM, rather than following it on Wikipedia! I can now properly support Paffet instead of reading about his results and going 'yay' or 'oh no' :)

philipbain
22nd July 2009, 22:15
Its good to see that both GP2 and DTM have got TV deals sorted following the demise of Sultana Sports, hopefully DTM will sort a live coverage deal too, will have to manage with mid week highlights after races, infact DTM highlights start this evening at 11pm on Sky Sports 3, pitty they haven't got HD coverage but thats me just being picky!

thetrooper_uk
23rd July 2009, 13:43
I want the DTM on a freeview channel as I'm not a sky customer and won't ever be one as it's a rip off.

philipbain
26th July 2009, 12:01
I want the DTM on a freeview channel as I'm not a sky customer and won't ever be one as it's a rip off.

I would like a gold plated Rolls Royce to be given to me but unfortunately that aint going to happen! In all seriousness it would seem that TV in the future is likely to become more subscription based as TV advertising is basically dead in the face of the internet and digital recording (Sky+, Virgin Sky+ rip-off thingy whatever its called, Freeview recorders etc.). Freeview is starting to get overstretched as when more channels are offered the audience dilutes and the value of advertising on a certain channel decreases.

philipbain
9th August 2009, 11:24
I just saw an ad for ESPN where they said that they had DTM Coverage, so I presume this is the live coverage and Sky Sports will retain the delayed coverage on the Wednesday after the race.

Robinho
10th August 2009, 20:08
and ESPN also has an HD channel, and its all free on Virgin XL (and i get my HD box in a couple of weeks) also get the Sultana's Premier league matches