PDA

View Full Version : Who is gone, never to come back?

52Paddy
12th May 2009, 19:58
Over the past few years, several drivers have competed in F1 on an on/off basis. Some ex-drivers are still in the circle of drivers with a chance of coming back to F1. Who, though, do you believe is gone for sure? And who do you expect to see racing in F1 again?

Just to get the ball rolling I'm talking about drivers like:

Takumo Sato: Although its been a while since he's raced in F1, I still think we'll see Taku again on the track. Especially if Toro Rosso have their interest in the Japanese market and Bourdais fails to improve this year.

Pedro De La Rosa: Wrong time for him to get back into F1. And probably too old now.

Alex Wurz: Honestly don't know.

Jacques Villeneave: Even though some reckon JV may return with some American F1 effort, I think his day is done.

Ricardo Zonta: Doesn't have much of a reputation to live up to for starters. I don't see why any team would want him.

Brown, Jon Brow
12th May 2009, 20:31
Klien? Never impressed me

Liuzzi? Force India perhaps?

Tazio
12th May 2009, 20:54
Scott Speed

Robert Doornbos

Koz
12th May 2009, 21:31
Eddie Irvine :p

Mika Hakkinen

JV

CaptainRaiden
12th May 2009, 21:47
Eddie Irvine :p

Mika Hakkinen

JV

Mika Hakkinen retired from the sport voluntarily, not because he didn't have a drive like the other two guys on your list.

In my opinion:

Antonio Pizzonia

Giorgio Pantano: Even though he won the GP2 series last year. Too bad, he couldn't get an F1 contract like Glock.

Christijan Albers

Narain Karthikeyan: From my country, but I don't think anybody is opening any doors for him in F1 now.

Tiago Monteiro

philipbain
12th May 2009, 21:55
Ralph Firman - remember him? He was in F1 for a season with Jordan in 2003 with their best days a long way way behind them, scored a point, then disappeared. Saw him briefly driving for Ireland in A1GP a couple of seasons back and little to nothing since.

philipbain
12th May 2009, 21:58
Yuji Ide - Japanese Super Aguri driver, had his super license stripped from him after a violent shunt in the opening stages of the San Marino GP. I don't think we'll be seeing him again somehow.

philipbain
12th May 2009, 22:06
Giorgio Pantano: Even though he won the GP2 series last year. Too bad, he couldn't get an F1 contract like Glock.

I think there is a general perception that Pantano had already had his shot at F1 and blew it. Also if Senna with his massive marketability couldnt get an F1 deal for this season Pantano didnt have a hope in hell! Buemi got his shot at F1 thanks to his close ties with Red Bull, otherwise F1 is looking to positively repell up and coming drivers at the moment with the complete lack of testing and the changes of regulations meaning that teams are favouring experience over potential, a great example was Brawn, rather than take on a very promising talent in the form of Senna they stayed with Barrichello who has proven to be significantly slower than Button so far this season.

Koz
12th May 2009, 22:20
Mika Hakkinen retired from the sport voluntarily, not because he didn't have a drive like the other two guys on your list.

Yes, but there have always been rumours of his comeback.

Narain Karthikeyan: From my country, but I don't think anybody is opening any doors for him in F1 now.

I always expected him in Force India to be honest.

CaptainRaiden
12th May 2009, 22:29
Yes, but there have always been rumours of his comeback.

Then you should add Michael Schumacher to the list as well, since there have been rumors of his comeback too. I think he is gone for sure, and at his age, I don't see him returning.

I always expected him in Force India to be honest.

Mallya and Karthikeyan had quite a vocal disagreement in public some time ago I think, which means that neither party are interested in a collaboration. Karun Chandok right now has the highest probability of an Indian driver making it to F1 via Force India, if he doesn't go to STR that is.

52Paddy
12th May 2009, 23:49
Just a few more have come to mind:

Ant Davidson: With his commentating career started, thats probably it for racing in F1 then?

Enrique Bernoldi: Out of contention a while ago it would seem, though he is basically idle now that he doesn't have an 09 drive in IndyCar.

CNR
12th May 2009, 23:57
Liuzzi? Force India perhaps?

Tonio Liuzzi has admitted he accepted a two-year role as Force India (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/formula-1/force-india.html) test driver because of the prospect of a 2010 race seat. "My best chance is with Force India," he told Speedweek. "It is the reason I was happy with the role as the test and spare driver for two years. There are certain prospects for a place as the main driver."

CNR
13th May 2009, 00:01
Scott Speed

redbull are still backing him
http://www.scenedaily.com/news/articles/sprintcupseries/Scott_Speed_to_replace_Joe_Nemechek_for_Nemco_Moto rsports_in_Southern_500.html

Scott Speed will drive Nemco Motorsports' No. 87 car tonight in the Southern 500, a Red Bull Racing spokeswoman confirmed

CNR
13th May 2009, 00:09
justin wilson
ralf schumacher
(Michael Schumacher need to come back to fix Ferrari)

N. Jones
13th May 2009, 00:51
Scott Speed

Robert Doornbos

I think we will see Scott Speed in Peter Windsor's new USGP team.

woody2goody
13th May 2009, 00:54
I think there is a general perception that Pantano had already had his shot at F1 and blew it. Also if Senna with his massive marketability couldnt get an F1 deal for this season Pantano didnt have a hope in hell! Buemi got his shot at F1 thanks to his close ties with Red Bull, otherwise F1 is looking to positively repell up and coming drivers at the moment with the complete lack of testing and the changes of regulations meaning that teams are favouring experience over potential, a great example was Brawn, rather than take on a very promising talent in the form of Senna they stayed with Barrichello who has proven to be significantly slower than Button so far this season.

Barrichello would eat Senna for breakfast if they were teammates. Where do you get this 'significantly slower' business from???

woody2goody
13th May 2009, 01:00
http://www.scenedaily.com/news/articles/sprintcupseries/Scott_Speed_to_replace_Joe_Nemechek_for_Nemco_Moto rsports_in_Southern_500.html

This was because he crashed in qualifying. Joe Nemechek let him drive his car. I think he did it so Scott's championship position wouldn't be ruined by a DNQ.

I don't think Speed will be back next year. Maybe in a few years, I think he's doing a great job in NASCAR.

It wouldn't surprise me if one of the new teams took a gamble on Dario Franchitti for next year. I know he's a veteran and as old as Rubinho but he's a great driver who's marketable in Europe and America.

I think the two USGP drivers will be Marco and maybe Jonathan Summerton however I don't think Marco is really good enough.

Tazio
13th May 2009, 01:18

I think we will see Scott Speed in Peter Windsor's new USGP team.

Scott is strong prospect in Nascar, and has represented himself well.
He's toast in F1

BTW Big News, USGPE now actually have a drawing of their car! ]http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/05/12/first-usgpe-car-drawings-completed/[/url]

Knock-on
13th May 2009, 12:57
Barrichello would eat Senna for breakfast if they were teammates. Where do you get this 'significantly slower' business from???

Rubens is pushing Jenson but there is a slight gap between the 2. I wouldn't say it is significant but that Jenson has the edge over Rubens as Schumacher did.

However, I also think that Rubens would beat BS who might be a little crash happy to start with.

N. Jones
13th May 2009, 13:31
Scott is strong prospect in Nascar, and has represented himself well.
He's toast in F1

BTW Big News, USGPE now actually have a drawing of their car! ;)

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/05/12/first-usgpe-car-drawings-completed/
Really? I did not know that. Good for him!
Do you think he would want to come back to F1, or would he want to stay where he is? I guess that is really the question - what does he want?

Tazio
13th May 2009, 13:49
Really? I did not know that. Good for him!
Do you think he would want to come back to F1, or would he want to stay where he is? I guess that is really the question - what does he want?I can't claim to be an authority on NASCAR. Lately I've been watching because JPM is in the show.
From what I've seen Speed is a comer in NASCAR.
As far as his interest in returning to F1, my gut says he would. But I don't think he will.
If UsGPE actually fields a team I think they will go with the best available driver they can afford, regaurdless of nationallity,
and an American of a newer crop than Speed.
But you never know!

jens
19th May 2009, 19:37
The comebacks depend whether we will see any more teams next year (which is dependant on which rules will we see in 2010), because surely a newcomer would like at least one experienced driver. But if we take into account only existing teams, then I can see only Liuzzi making a comeback (FI).

markabilly
20th May 2009, 04:17
Ioan......................

Alas poor Ioan, I knew him, tazio, a man of infinite jest...

Tazio
20th May 2009, 05:32
Ioan......................

Alas poor Ioan, I knew him, tazio, a man of infinite jest...
Fear not my friend, Ioan will be back!
Tan, rested, and ready ;)

UltimateDanGTR
20th May 2009, 17:20
who is gone and never to come back?

Ferrari.

Tom206wrc
20th May 2009, 17:37
Gaston Mazzacane ???
Tarso Marques ???
Alex Yoong ???

:D :D

UltimateDanGTR
20th May 2009, 20:16
well if you go down that route then how about Jackie Stewart! :D (on the basis that he retired-not that he was useless-anyone who says that is officially insane-now im rambling-ill stop typing now)

wmcot
21st May 2009, 09:04
who is gone and never to come back?

F1 as we once knew it! :(

CNR
21st May 2009, 09:24
now if Ferrari, BMW, Red Bull, Toro Rosso and Toyota are gone will all the drivers be allowed to race if they are under contract to current teams.

wmcot
21st May 2009, 09:47
now if Ferrari, BMW, Red Bull, Toro Rosso and Toyota are gone will all the drivers be allowed to race if they are under contract to current teams.

Raikkonen has said that he is under contract to Ferrari and that he will race wherever they want him. Alonso has expressed interest in doing LeMans. As far as the individual drivers go, I think it depends on the team and the contract. I'd hate to see Vettel, Webber, Buemi, Bourdais, et al stuck in NASCAR because of their Red Bull ties.

jens
21st May 2009, 13:33
Hm, although Trulli's contract ends with Toyota at the end of 2009, I think it's possible they'll go to Le Mans together.

christophulus
21st May 2009, 23:39
Max when the FIA elections come around?

Oh, wait, that won't happen :(