PDA

View Full Version : o/t but relevant-threat to grassroot motorsport

acorn
14th February 2007, 17:44
there are more than a few column inches in today's motorsport news regarding the effects of the 2006 road traffic act on motorsport events that aren't already part of the msa's umbrella.

is this sudden revelation (because i must confess to never having heard of them before today even though it was formed nearly 20 years ago)the iopd trying to gain itself a higher profile or is there a very real threat to events which haven't had (or particularly want) msa permits.

what permits if any do spedeworth ,incarace or nasa race under. is the orc recognised as a permit issuer?

what do non professional drivers ie amateurs (which is what most of grass roots motorsport is occupied by) think of being talked at by the international organisation of PROFESSIONAL drivers. do they not remain independant of the msa because they resent the bureaucracy that is attached to it?

ps if you want to read more about the IOPD go to http://www.iopd.org.uk

Dave17
14th February 2007, 19:10
?

acorn
15th February 2007, 10:58
ok dave17, which bit is confusing you?

JDPower
15th February 2007, 19:52
ok dave17, which bit is confusing you?
The whole thing, don't understand what the point is :confused:

acorn
16th February 2007, 10:37
ok. the fact that you don't see the point is the reason that i've posted this thread.

do you understand that the lower levels of motorsport (even lawn mower racing) that do not operate with msa or iopd permits can in theory be charged with breaking the 2006 road safety act even though the event isn't held on what most common sense people would define as "public" land.

from the article in mn:

" under the act, all organisers, drivers,marsahalls and stewards at an unpermitted event can be charged on a host of crimes including dangerous driving and using a vehicle that is unregistered, not mot tested and not insured with a third party risk insurance policy"

an iopd or msa permit shields participants etc from these possible charges.

from the iopd site:

"A ‘public place’ is defined by the Road Traffic Act as any place to which the public can gain access (with or without admission charge) and is beyond 15 yards from the public highway."

as many of the rockingham regular drivers hail from the short ovals i wonder how many are actually aware of the implications of the act. how many short oval supporters are aware of this part of the act?

if someone with an agenda was to persuade the authorities to take action how long before non msa/iopd permitted motorsport disappears?

now do you see what the point is?

Chigley
16th February 2007, 15:59
If I remember right this was raised last year when the Act was introduced and sporting events were exempted as was widely reported by AS.

acorn
16th February 2007, 17:06
i think that is what the iopd is trying to say ie you're only exempt if you've got a permit.

this page

http://www.iopd.org.uk/roadtrafficact.htm

explains it in more detail.

JDPower
16th February 2007, 20:07
now do you see what the point is?
Yes, now you've explained what the story actually was that you were referring to. I doubt this'll have any real effect on organised grass roots racing though (IMO).

acorn
21st February 2007, 12:36
today's motorsport news updates the story.
the grass track people are actually covered under the motor vehicles(off road events)regulations 1995 they being one/two of the listed authorities.
also,the oval racing council and brisca say they comply with regulations."we are confident we're within the rules". unfortunately, being "confident" and actually being within the rules aren't the same thing and they need to get it in writing.