PDA

View Full Version : boycott call for 2010 regulation changes

CNR
12th May 2009, 00:09
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/11/more-f1-teams-joins-boycott-call-for-2010-regulation-change/

Yesterday, we brought you news that Toyota could quit Formula One (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/10/toyota-to-reportedly-exit-f1-if-2010-rules-are-not-changed/) if FIA president Max Mosley's proposal for a two-tiered budget system (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/09/fia-introduces-two-tier-cost-structure-and-winner-take-all-f1-ch/) is put in place. But the Japanese team based in Germany – currently enjoying its best season so far – isn't the only one making noise. Ferrari has hinted it could jump ship and put its energy into Le Mans, instead. Mercedes-Benz has said it could cancel its F1 program, and BMW has reportedly done the same. Now, three more teams are joining the call for the proposed regulations to be annulled, or else.

Next up to the plate is Red Bull, which owns and operates both the Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso teams. Owner Dietrich Mateschitz has joined the ranks of disgruntled team owners, saying he will not field his two teams next season under the proposed regulations.

Renault has not quite gone that far, but team principal Flavio Briatore has said that the rules need to be changed, the fashion king comparing the FIA's proposal to opening discount stores on trendy streets. The FIA has set May 29 as the deadline for teams to sign up and pay their fees to race in 2010, but with Ferrari, McLaren-Mercedes, BMW Sauber, Red Bull, Toro Rosso and Renault threatening boycott, that leaves only Williams, Force India and Brawn GP lining up on the grid next year. Those three are expected to go ahead regardless, because as independent F1 teams, if they withdrew or sat a season out, they would have no other obvious places to race.

PSfan
12th May 2009, 03:26
This is sure is making the F1 tug of war between the FIA and FOTA interesting. I'm not sure where I read it, but the current teams have an agreement to stay in F1 till 2012, which puts the FIA in a pickle because even if 10 new teams show up, the agreement with Bernie would mean that the current teams where there first.

I also read that Bernie claimed that the 3 new teams wouldn't be a first come first served bases, but the best 3...

But now I'm thinking, perhaps the FIA should alter their 13 team max, to a 26 car starting field and have pre-qualies and such, essentially calling the dissenting teams bluff...

Dave B
12th May 2009, 08:28
This will be (another) real test of unity for FOTA. Once they see new teams signing up, potentially jeopardising their own entries, how long will they continue their boycott?

For this boycott to have any effect it needs the teams to hold their nerve, possibly right up until the start of the 2010 season.

SGWilko
12th May 2009, 09:12
Now IS the perfect time for the current teams to unite and form their own series.

A lot of the track owners are getting itchy feet because BCE has screwed them over.

So I think a new series, with sensible terms at existing circuits could be very attractive to all concerned.