PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the day: Spanish GP 2009

Dave B
10th May 2009, 14:46
Button - with an honorary mention for Andrew Shovlin.

gloomyDAY
10th May 2009, 14:47
Button.

Second would be Webber for kicking ass on those option tires.
That and holding off Alonso! Great defense by Mark.

VkmSpouge
10th May 2009, 14:57
I think it is a tie between Mark Webber and Jenson Button. Webber drove really well and his move on Alonso to re-pass him into the first corner really set-up his third place finish. Button had drove flawlessly.

F1boat
10th May 2009, 14:58
To me, Mark Webber, amazing drive in that second stint and really pushed Rubens. Barrichello and Button were equally good for me in a joint 2nd.

HenryM
10th May 2009, 14:58
button and webber, quite obvious...

wedge
10th May 2009, 15:28
Button, Webber and Massa

truefan72
10th May 2009, 15:30
I'd give it to massa

button did nothing but coast to victory and on the backs of team orders

Massa drove his heart out and was still undone by the stupidity of the team strategy. Can't give it to vettel becuase he simply could not find his way around massa, who did not have a functioning kers. Webber was only fast when it didn't matter..as usual.

markabilly
10th May 2009, 15:31
Sutil for passing about 7 cars in one corner in the frist lap
must be a record....

then trulli got in his way and ruined what would have been a great race for him

AndyL
10th May 2009, 16:30
Webber. Good work beating Vettel and Massa to 3rd place and great fighting against Alonso. Button was pretty flawless but that's hardly remarkable this season :)

Ent
10th May 2009, 16:36
Sutil for passing about 7 cars in one corner in the frist lap
must be a record....

then trulli got in his way and ruined what would have been a great race for him

It's easy to pass cars when you run off the first corner and skip the second. :) Just a shame he came back on the track at the exact same point that Trulli was sliding sideways in from the other direction.

For me, as has been said, Button and Webber. Both great drives.

gm99
10th May 2009, 16:50
Why is it Button for everyone? He screwed up the start and had the win handed to him on a plate inscribed "team orders".

IMO, Barrichello was more impressive today, making a great start to take the lead from third on the grid and finishing only 13 sec adrift of Button in spite of having to make one extra stop.

markabilly
10th May 2009, 16:53
Why is it Button for everyone? He screwed up the start and had the win handed to him on a plate inscribed "team orders".

IMO, Barrichello was more impressive today, making a great start to take the lead from third on the grid and finishing only 13 sec adrift of Button in spite of having to make one extra stop.
yeah but he is from brazil, not the english nation where folks like button or webber can do no wrong

Ent
10th May 2009, 16:59
yeah but he is from brazil, not the english nation where folks like button or webber can do no wrong

Why are you so racist to English speaking countries? Barichello had his chance to win the race, but didn't have the speed in his 3rd stint to do it. Button was faster. He was considerably faster in the last stint also.

I'd probably put Rubens number 3, along with a great driver by Alonso.

F1boat
10th May 2009, 17:04
I agree with Ent and IMO it is not acceptable to bash whole nations.

EuroTroll
10th May 2009, 17:07
Why are you so racist to English speaking countries?

Actually, he was being sexist towards English-speaking countries. ;)

Ent
10th May 2009, 17:11
Actually, he was being sexist towards English-speaking countries. ;)

Well, now you put it that way... ;)

woody2goody
10th May 2009, 17:24
Button, Webber, Heidfeld and Fisichella in that order.

Honourary mentions for Alonso, Massa, and Hamilton for driving that dog of a car to 9th.

jens
10th May 2009, 17:37
IMO Button's and Webber's superior results to their team-mates were more a result of a superior strategy, not really superior pace. A lot of talk has been about Barrichello already. And if Vettel hadn't been stuck behind Massa all race, he may well have beaten Webber as well.

Hence I'd nominate Massa, Alonso and - yes, also Heidfeld as standouts.

AndyL
10th May 2009, 18:33
IMO Button's and Webber's superior results to their team-mates were more a result of a superior strategy, not really superior pace.

So which was the superior strategy - 2 or 3 stops ;)

Gibbsy
10th May 2009, 23:17
Webber was only fast when it didn't matter..as usual.

Yum yum... truefan tears. The best kind.

Clearly Webber and Button, Webber for tough, uncompromising yet intelligent maneuver to take / re-take Alonso, and Button for taking the chequered flag.

Ari
11th May 2009, 00:50

Are you serious?

Webber nailed the middle stint to come out ahead of Massa and Vettel. Fast when it didn't matter? Had he been slow there he would have finished 4th or 5th.

Was funny listening to BBC go on about Rubens and how awesome he was to come out ahead and then "oh is that Webber right behind him?.. fantastic." They hadn't even noticed.

Driver of the day: Webber Rubens Jenson Massa.

ozrevhead
11th May 2009, 06:07
BBC were hilarious how they didnt get what Mark was up to is beyond me

To me its a choice between Webber and Button

F1boat
11th May 2009, 06:59
Our commentators were also surprised by Webber's pace. :) He was brilliant yesterday.

leopard
11th May 2009, 07:50
Jenson definitely, Mark W was brilliant but the way he defends sometimes harsh. :)

RJL25
11th May 2009, 07:55

Yeah no he has had it, absolute crap, he was only fast in that second stint where he past both Massa and his team mate Vettel thus scoring a podium from fifth place, absolute crap drive....

52Paddy
11th May 2009, 08:52
For me, it was Rubens. His opening stint was solid and his middle one was very impressive. He drove the car to the limit, consistently banging in laptimes beating Jenson by 7 or 8 tenths. Unfortunately that still wasn't going to be enough to give Rubens win with a 3-stop strategy.

Massa drove his heart out and Webber displayed some awesome talent. They're worth mentioning. :up:

Knock-on
11th May 2009, 09:37
Difficult race to rate really.

Rubens was mighty all weekend. When he's on that sort of form, he beats anyone but wasn't able to respond on his second stint when he really had to. Still, I think it was his best performance this year to date.

Jenson. What can we say about the lad. He pulled out the qualification lap of his life to take pole from his team mate. When Rubens was soooo strong, it must have rattled him.

Great race and another superb win. I had to have a little chuckle with the whingers and their "team orders" rubbish :laugh: They just don't get it, do they :D

Webber had his race of the season and was impressive but I have to give it to Massa.

The Ferrari is a good car and not far off being able to challenge for wins but Massa drove it superbly today. He had a lot of pressure from Webber and soaked it up beautifully.

It's a pity he didn't get the points he deserved because of another Ferrari cock up.

stevie_gerrard
11th May 2009, 11:21
Mark gets my vote, he was brilliant today and deserved his podium. Honourable mention for Massa, who did so well in the ferrari, and had the team not screwed up again by not getting the fuel in, then he would have been on the podium for me.