PDA

View Full Version : Camo at the 500?

garyshell
6th May 2009, 17:50
The No. 4 National Guard Panther Racing car remained in the garage because of the rain at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Opening Day. When it emerges, spectators will see something totally different than the traditional red, white and blue car.
Dan Wheldon's car will be full National Guard ACU digital camo for the Indianapolis 500, the Fourth of July weekend race at Watkins Glen International and two other IndyCar Series events this season. The style of the car's No. 4 was changed as well, to honor the late Lloyd Ruby, who passed away in March.
In addition, Wheldon is wearing a camouflage drivers' suit, made out of the same camo Nomex fire-retardant material National Guard Soldiers wear while serving the Nation.

"I don't think I look too bad in camo myself," Wheldon joked.

Ruby started the 1969 Indianapolis 500 with the No. 4, and team managing partner John Barnes used the style of Ruby's number that season to honor the popular Texan.

"It's always important to recognize the history of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and all the people who have been a part of making both the track itself and the Indianapolis 500 such a celebrated and historic event," Barnes said. "Obviously we're thrilled to have a camouflage car this month to celebrate the over 367,000 Soldiers in the National Guard, but we also wanted to honor Lloyd Ruby and what he's meant to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway."

http://www.indycar.com/news/?story_id=13823 Scroll down to the second story on that page.

Does this sound like a REALLY BAD idea to anyone else? On a bright sunny day this MIGHT be OK. But if the skies are overcast, this seems like trouble waiting to happen.

Gary

chuck34
6th May 2009, 18:07
I don't think it will be a problem. It might have been had it been the black/white/gray urban camo thing. But I think the green/OD will contrast against the white walls and gray asphalt.

I think the car looks really cool. Plus I'm glad to see they are doing something for Lloyd.

garyshell
6th May 2009, 18:12
I don't think it will be a problem. It might have been had it been the black/white/gray urban camo thing. But I think the green/OD will contrast against the white walls and gray asphalt.

I think the car looks really cool. Plus I'm glad to see they are doing something for Lloyd.

I agree about the Lloyd Ruby part, but don't know about the contrast. It looks like it will blend in too much to me. I was thinking about the spotters view where it could really blend in to the asphalt. I am not saying it will, but am saying that the ought to trott it out to the track, put some spotters up on the roof and have a "look see". Maybe they already have.

http://www.indycar.com/news/2009/indy/images/wheldon-inset-05052009.jpg

Looks scary to me. Cool, but scary from a saftey/visibility point of view.
Gary

NickFalzone
6th May 2009, 18:44
Bet Alex Lloyd is jealous. As far as visibility, I guess that could be an issue, but NG has run this paint scheme once or twice on Jr.'s cup car and there weren't any issues. Granted, it's a tank in comparison, but I really don't think there will be a problem unless foliage starts growing in the track.

chuck34
6th May 2009, 18:50
Alex Lloyd?? (oh never mind, I just saw a pic of his car, yikes!!!)

Gary, maybe you're right. That top pic looks quite dark, but then again, it's a picture in a studio against a plain backdrop. I'll reserve judgement until I see it on track.

Jag_Warrior
6th May 2009, 20:42
Granted, it's a tank in comparison, but I really don't think there will be a problem unless foliage starts growing in the track.

That shouldn't be a problem til 2015 or so. :eek:

Hey, stop that!!! Who said that out loud?!

:D

DanicaFan
6th May 2009, 22:10
I saw this car today in person. It looks cool. It's brighter than you think.

bravefish
6th May 2009, 23:23
Are they going to mount a gun on it ?

bravefish
6th May 2009, 23:28
Are they going to mount a gun on it ? Might be a wee bit of drag if they do.

SarahFan
6th May 2009, 23:55
spotter to driver: "I think its there, I think its there, I think it's there......."

Chamoo
7th May 2009, 01:27
I'm sure it will be fine for the race. It looks good though. It will be easy to differentiate that car from the others during the race.

electron
7th May 2009, 08:25
I think this look sucks.

keep this military look out of my sports. War is not sports and sports is not war. go with a parade uniform livery if you have to but painting a sports instrument in the colors of a tool of warfare just aint cool.

And this is nothing against armed forces, I have been under weapons and abroad myself. I respect the men and women in uniform but this is not my way.
maybe because of that fact.

Phoenixent
7th May 2009, 08:48
And this is nothing against armed forces, I have been under weapons and abroad myself. I respect the men and women in uniform but this is not my way.
maybe because of that fact.

Nice disclaimer you posted. Since you have been a member since 2006 why did you hold your tongue when Vitor Meira's drivers suit was camouflaged or that the US Air Force and the Army National Guard sponsored cars in racing. Were do you want it to stop. Let's cut out the flyovers, Honor Guards, and the soldiers attending in uniforms.

It's a paint job get over it by Milwaukee it will be back to the standard paint scheme.

electron
7th May 2009, 09:46
I disliked it in NASCAR too.

my point is that there are more aesthetic ways (you notice? personal preference here) to paint a car that ads for armed forces.
and a general opinion of mine taht teh military should tone down a bit in sports sposorship. painting a car and driver in camo is a quite aggressive statement in my face.

just felt no need to post this before. It is IMO anyway, so do with it what you want. I am over it. Just had some time at my hands to post in this here thread. so get over it too ;)

nigelred5
7th May 2009, 18:16
Beats the hell out of Lloyd's car. Personally, I have more of an issue with any of the armed forces advertising period, but I accept that it's a necessary evil iwth a volunteer force. I find it strange that it's been a brazilian and an englishman that have driven for the National Guard.

I can't tell on my monitor, is it the version with the tan and cream in it, or the pure gray scales version? I've got an anorak in that stuff and it most definitely would blend in. In reality though, how much of any paint scheme can another driver really make out. Ther's really not much of a rear wing that is seen from behind, and the frontal area is so minimal, I don't think it'll be a problem.

Chamoo
7th May 2009, 20:39
Beats the hell out of Lloyd's car. Personally, I have more of an issue with any of the armed forces advertising period, but I accept that it's a necessary evil iwth a volunteer force. I find it strange that it's been a brazilian and an englishman that have driven for the National Guard.

I can't tell on my monitor, is it the version with the tan and cream in it, or the pure gray scales version? I've got an anorak in that stuff and it most definitely would blend in. In reality though, how much of any paint scheme can another driver really make out. Ther's really not much of a rear wing that is seen from behind, and the frontal area is so minimal, I don't think it'll be a problem.

The mirrors and wings have yellow accents which helps the car stand out a bit. It actually looks nice in my opinion.

garyshell
7th May 2009, 20:54
Just saw the car on the track and I don't think there will be any issues with the spotters seeing it at all.

Gary

BobbyC
8th May 2009, 00:38
Interesting tribute to Lloyd Ruby. Hmmmm . . .

Good thing it's the current IRL. CART would have never liked the racewraps used to design this car because of the PPG sponsorship.

The Panther Pack is supportive, naturally.

methanolHuffer
8th May 2009, 17:01
I have a friend that has a business in printing these types of wraps for cars and vans.
It's a little pricey, but anything you can scan into a computer can be printed and applied to a vehicle.
My imagination outruns my pocketmoney when I visit his shop.

PA Rick
8th May 2009, 17:34
Maybe in this case it may be bad luck if it adds a few hundreths of a second to the driver overtaking a camo car in trouble. To pick it up from the stands is a bit different.
Now if it were the red and gold of the Marine Corps and Reserve........
Semper Fi

PS here is another livery.
http://media.techeblog.com/images/invisiblecar.jpg

Mark in Oshawa
9th May 2009, 00:58
Looks damn sharp, but I too find it ironic they have a Brit advertising for the American citizenry to join the Guard.

As for SHOULD the military be advertising in racing in this manner? Yes...if you are going to advertise, you should be effective. I think the National Guard is EFFECTIVE in this form of advertising, giving the American Tax payers a good deal for their money.