PDA

View Full Version : New forum

Mark
5th December 2006, 13:33
I thought I'd take this opportunity to create one of the most requested forums on the site (no not drifting :p )

This forum is for anything do to with transport outside of motorsport. Primarily concerned with cars and driving them on public roads, other transport issues such general government policy are also on topic here.

Daniel
5th December 2006, 13:45
Can you make a drifting forum and make it so anyone who posts in there is instantly banned? :D

Powered by Cosworth
5th December 2006, 14:32
I thought Tractor Pulling + Monster Trucks were the most requested forums :D

martinbalmer
5th December 2006, 15:34
...or drag racing...

tin-top fan
5th December 2006, 15:58
you mean there's not going to be a lawn mower racing thread.................

AndySpeed
5th December 2006, 16:17
What about snowbobile racing? Or powerboats? :p :

trumperZ06
5th December 2006, 17:34
;) How about Police evasion techniques... An inportant skill.

I'm always willing to share information !

:s mokin:

viper_man
5th December 2006, 17:37
Hide down a dark alley and turn your lights off, always works for me.

Luffield
6th December 2006, 09:34
;) How about Police evasion techniques... An inportant skill.

I'm always willing to share information !

:s mokin:

Me too. Don't go into the police station!!!!! :p

bstonedrift
7th December 2006, 02:00
I thought I'd take this opportunity to create one of the most requested forums on the site (no not drifting :p )

Whats so bad about drifting?!

...and when will we get that forum? :D

grassrootsracer
7th December 2006, 03:08
I guess you could say it's the automotive equivalent of ice skating. That's not to say that it doesn't take skill, I'm sure it does. It doesn't seem to be akin to all other motorsports, i.e. high-performance and tuned chassis/engine combinations with the purpose of traversing from Point A to Point B faster than your competitor, while maintaining endurance and reliability of the entire car. Once again, that doesn't mean that there are not any incredibly fast and nimble cars in drift events either. And the results seem to be subjective to me, more of a style event than one based on speed, acceleration, and braking.

That and the crowd that follows drifting (from the events I've seen here in the US) seems to be the boy racer/ricer crowd that is more concerned with ostentatious stereos (I prefer the sound of the engine anyhow), loud and annoying bee-sounding exhausts, and expensive paint jobs. At least that's the impression I get.

To each, his/her own.

ST205GT4
7th December 2006, 04:20

I am personally willing to pay you money never to start a drifting section on this forum!

Daniel
7th December 2006, 12:46
I am personally willing to pay you money never to start a drifting section on this forum!
Trust me Mark doesn't need any further reason to not have drifting on the forums ;)

Ian McC
7th December 2006, 16:14
No speed camera thread yet then :erm:

datto57
10th December 2006, 09:31
I wish you people would stop picking on my sport.

And it's pronounced Doriftin as well, get it right people ;) :p :

Captain VXR
10th December 2006, 10:54
Yeah, bullies :p drifting eats some very expensive top level single seater procession racing that some fools spend millions on. Drift = fun, noise, smoke, close battles, adrenaline rushes and craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssshhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! The only single seaters I have seen at a circuit and enjoyed were the Formula BMWs [for the noise] :burnout: Put it this way, those that don't want to look at a drift forum, do not need to visit it. Ten Tenths has one, so why can't we?? This is real drifting:
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=9098681798609175166&q=Mustang+drift
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-2876484430066814335&q=Formula+D
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=1460509902614786017&q=D1GB (inc Time Attack)
Not:
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=1810779313097391973&q=Metro+Drift (chavs)

Daniel
10th December 2006, 11:09
Because it's not motorsport. It's figure skating with an engine.

Captain VXR
10th December 2006, 11:28
There is a big debate over whether it is a motorsport or not,there should be a vote. A motorsport does not have to be a race against others or time same as a sport does not have to be a race. Look at the Olympics, it is not all ball games, shooting games and races is it. I know of an Austalian forum member who is going to see Drift Australia next year but nobody slagged them off.

Captain VXR
10th December 2006, 11:38
I guess you could say it's the automotive equivalent of ice skating. That's not to say that it doesn't take skill, I'm sure it does. It doesn't seem to be akin to all other motorsports, i.e. high-performance and tuned chassis/engine combinations with the purpose of traversing from Point A to Point B faster than your competitor, while maintaining endurance and reliability of the entire car. Once again, that doesn't mean that there are not any incredibly fast and nimble cars in drift events either. And the results seem to be subjective to me, more of a style event than one based on speed, acceleration, and braking.

That and the crowd that follows drifting (from the events I've seen here in the US) seems to be the boy racer/ricer crowd that is more concerned with ostentatious stereos (I prefer the sound of the engine anyhow), loud and annoying bee-sounding exhausts, and expensive paint jobs. At least that's the impression I get.

To each, his/her own.
That is the wrong impression mate, look at the drift followers on http://www.driftworks.com/forum , no rice Civics with ICE,no twats, just rear wheel drive sports cars and saloons with as litttle mods as a welded up diff or as many as an engine rebuild and many tuning parts which can make a 200sx go faster than a Porsche. :up:
I wouldgive you +rep if the forum wouldn't say I was logged out even though I am editing my post right now
The top level drift cars are all road legal (at least in the UK) which is why chassis mods do not go as far as race cars. Many race/rally drivers compete(d) in drifting, notably Super GT racer Noberto Taniguchi and up-and-coming rally driver Tony Green (I am not sure what level of rallying he is at as he is broke at the moment.)

Captain VXR
10th December 2006, 11:59
http://www.everythingdrift.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=84&Itemid=32
This is the list of non Jap and non American drifters at the D1 World Final, Irwindale speedway, CA, USA
Full list:
Car No. Team Machine
1 JP Nobushige Kumakubo Orange GDB
2 JP Ken Nomura BLITZ ER34
3 JP Yasuyuki Kazama M.O.V.E S15
4 JP Masato Kawabata TRUST S15
5 JP Toshiki Yoshioka DRoo-P AE86
6 JP Tatsuya Sakuma APP S15
7 JP Katsuhiro Ueo NKB AE86
8 JP Hideo Hiraoka Wise Square S15
9 JP Tsuyoshi Tezuka Bee Racing HCR32
10 JP Masao Suenaga RE amemiya FD3S
11 US Samuel Hubinette Mopar Charger
12 US Vaughn Gittin Falken Mustang
13 US Tanner Foust AEM TOYO Z33
14 US Rhys Millen Pontiac RMR Solstice
15 US Daijiro Yoshihara Rock Star S13
16 US Ken Gushi Ford Toyo Mustang
17 US Hiro Sumida Falken Toyota
18 US Calvin Wan Falken G35
19 US Ryan Hampton Falken Corvette
20 US Kenji Yamanaka Hancook JIC S15
21 NZ Adam Richards WSR S15
22 NZ Victor Chapman Mag Turbo Warehouse S14
23 NZ Darren McDonald Mag Turbo Warehouse S13
24 NZ Sean Falconer BP Ultimate S13
25 MY Tengku Djan Bridgestone MY AE86
26 MY Lim Zee King Onwards S13
27 UK Darren McNamara MCN AE86
28 UK Philip Morrison S13
29 UK Damien Mulvery S13

SuperAguri
10th December 2006, 14:03
Because it's not motorsport. It's figure skating with an engine.

Isn't that rallying....

grassrootsracer
10th December 2006, 18:36
Alright, CaptainVXR, I stand somewhat corrected on the state of drifting and its followers. It's still not my cup of tea.

viper_man
10th December 2006, 20:00
Do a poll

Daniel
10th December 2006, 20:30
Isn't that rallying....

Where in rallying are people given point for looks :rolleyes:

donKey jote
10th December 2006, 21:09
Solberg fans ? :p :

datto57
11th December 2006, 08:35
[quote="Daniel"]Where in rallying are people given point for looks :rolleyes: [/QUOTE

If that was the case a lot of rally crews I know would get no points :D :

scrutineertwo
12th December 2006, 00:15
before 2006 i had never seen drifting and knew nothing about it .
I went to one event to basically advise them on safety issues and one event was enough to make me a fan - i'll be back next year to see what has been some of the closest and most interesting motorsport i've seen for a long time!
Yes some of the events have had a distinctly chav audience thats purely due to the economies of combining the event with tuning meetings as the following isn't big enough for sole use of some circuits.... although i've seen far smaller paying spectators at "normal" race meetings this year.

with the much talked about decline in entries in so many championships ..... drift may just be the future.......will some people be quite so dismissive then? :)

Daniel
12th December 2006, 00:24
Yes but it's like comparing speedskating to figure skating. I don't like sports where someone's interpretation of how someone is driving or skating or swimming or whatever :) I much prefer a stopwatch to be used to judge who is the best :) That's why Rally, F1, touring cars and the rest are sport and drifting is...... well it's just not a proper sport.

I think the fact that people on here compared to other forums tend to be purists is the reason why this forum will probably never have a drifting section.

AndySpeed
12th December 2006, 01:23
Although these forums are called the 'motorsport forums' a more accurate title may indeed be 'motorracing forums'.

I don't dispute drifting as a type of competition or motorsport, but it's not really racing.

Alexamateo
12th December 2006, 23:01
http://www.everythingdrift.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=84&Itemid=32
This is the list of non Jap and non American drifters at the D1 World Final, Irwindale speedway, CA, USA
Full list:
Car No. Team Machine ...

13 US Tanner Foust AEM TOYO Z33

Fousto???? :D

scrutineertwo
14th December 2006, 00:06
Yes but it's like comparing speedskating to figure skating. I don't like sports where someone's interpretation of how someone is driving or skating or swimming or whatever :) I much prefer a stopwatch to be used to judge who is the best :) That's why Rally, F1, touring cars and the rest are sport and drifting is...... well it's just not a proper sport.

I think the fact that people on here compared to other forums tend to be purists is the reason why this forum will probably never have a drifting section.

quite bizarre

i fail to see how anyone could claim that its not motorsport? its not motorracing and never claims to be but who could seriously try to claim that its not motorsport??? what do you think the cars are powered by.... rubber bands?
I know that theres a inbuilt snobbery against drifting due to the chav's etc but its a great shame that some desperately cling to their pre-conceived ideas without knowing anything whatsoever about the sport.... let alone actually watching it!

Oh and one last though........ its one form of motorsport where the cheque book dosn't rule :)

Daniel
14th December 2006, 00:28
I do know about the sport :) The only magazine I bother subscribing to has the occasional article on drifting.

Like I said it may be powered by a motor but it's scored by what people think is most spectacular. That to me is like ice skating. Sure it takes skill but it's not RACING! To me a sport is something where you can objectively measure the difference between two or more competitors and therefore decide who's the winner. Sure drifting takes skill. I don't disagree. But driving a car from point A to point B as fast as possible takes more skill. Driving a car with the arse end hanging out is only part of the skill of driving a car.

Don't assume that just because people don't like drifting that they've never watched it or had any exposure to it.

grassrootsracer
14th December 2006, 00:48
By the way, my opinions were generated when I attended a drift event at Sears Point/Infineon in 2004 as well as attending an autocross test & tune event in Atlanta in September that was a few parking lots away from another drift event.

grassrootsracer
14th December 2006, 00:52
quite bizarre

i fail to see how anyone could claim that its not motorsport? its not motorracing and never claims to be but who could seriously try to claim that its not motorsport??? what do you think the cars are powered by.... rubber bands?
I know that theres a inbuilt snobbery against drifting due to the chav's etc but its a great shame that some desperately cling to their pre-conceived ideas without knowing anything whatsoever about the sport.... let alone actually watching it!

Oh and one last though........ its one form of motorsport where the cheque book dosn't rule :)

I generated my opinions after attending a drift event at Sears Point/Infineon in Summer 2004 as well as an autocross test & tune event in Atlanta in September that was a few parking lots away from another drift event.

Another form of motorsports where the "check book" doesn't rule is Grassroots Motorsports $200x Challenge.